A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

It’s impossible to try and second guess something like that though. You don’t know how ambitious he is, if he enjoys working with Levy, if he’s fed up with lack of transfer funds, if he’s fed up with constantly being the nearly men because Levy limits his progress.

I don't think it takes much to start winning with your squad. He'll have money for big signings and probably a guarantee of three years to sort shit out. It's all down to can he be arsed, I suppose.

He went there because he didn't have a job, and yes Arsenal are a big club. He wasn't particularly successful at PSG so he hadn't exactly set himself up to walk in to Real Madrid.

That was a good job for Emery, we're not talking an elite tier manager, and he was probably excited at the prospect of a project to work on at Arsenal. Who is denying that a big club has pull?
And Man Utd is a good job for Poch, he also isn’t an elite tier manager!

I’ve just seen his gushing comments about SAF in that press conference.

I now believe he’ll be our next manager.

Thanks - so Poch can just leave?

I thought a club wanting him have to pay a huge fee to Spurs?

They would, assuming he wanted to go. A buy-out clause simply means that a manager can automatically be contract-free if a specified sum is paid. Its absence does not mean that no compensation money would be required.

I wouldn't mind Poch at all but the only thing that worries me is who's in charge of transfers at Spurs, they've done some really good business over the last few seasons but transfers were meant to be a strength of Mourinho and he ballsed that up, so I'm just wary as to how good Poch is with those really. Klopp and Guardiola for instance have recruited and integrated players really well over the last few seasons.

Moyes had a huge reputation at Everton. Period . a mid table club .
LVG successful years were back in stone age .
Jose were sacked by Chelsea 2 times for not performing.

Fact is, we are here because of the gross incompetence and mismanagement by our board. Wrong selections, transfers etc .

Put it this way - there have been three scenarios - think of how another manager would potentially see it...

- 1 highly rated manager ready for the next step up; reputation for developing youngsters and playing good football; promised time to develop the team.
Result: Sacked after being given less than a season, arguably the scapegoat for a poor squad.
- 1 highly rated no-nonsense manager: reputation for developing players and playing good football.
Result: Regained CL football, but sacked behind his back straight after winning the FA Cup.
- 1 of the most successful managers in recent times; reputation for winning trophies at any cost.
Result: Sacked after winning 2 trophies

You couldn't blame a manager for wondering what chances they'd stand if they were expected to do a better job than LVG and Mourinho could, whilst seemingly being given less than a season to get going.

United have two options - they do what City, Chelsea and Real do and keep swapping managers for short-term (1-2 years) of success, rinse and repeat; or, they bring in someone with a long term project, forget "commercially viable" players like Pogba, and allow a manager to rebuild the squad around the young academy lads.

The latter is what Pochettino did - for those who weren't paying too much attention at that time, he practically ostracised the entire first team and played the likes of Townsend, Mason and the practically green Kane over the likes of Paulinho, Soldado and Adebayor. It took a good season for that to pay off, and the purge of "stars" for cheap youth players like Dier and Alli became the foundation of the current team. Mourinho has taken a hammering for dropping Pogba and Sanchez, so it doesn't look likely that United/Woodward will accept that kind of resolution.

Does anyone really think he'll leave Spurs for us? I just can't see it, makes barely any sense.

Does anyone really think he'll leave Spurs for us? I just can't see it, makes barely any sense.
You could argue he's maximized the potential at Spurs for now. Financially they can't compete with the rest of the top clubs. They've heavily relied on players signed before the market went mad. Players like Eriksen and Kane aren't likely to stay much longer as Spurs aren't competing for trophies. I don't think they'll be able to replace them, realistically. At least not short term.

Spurs to United is a no brained really.

I would've said yes a couple of years ago but now I'm not so sure. We're dangerously falling into scouse territory by dining out on our history and name a tad.

I would've said yes a couple of years ago but now I'm not so sure. We're dangerously falling into scouse territory by dining out on our history and name a tad.

To be fair, that didn’t stop then getting klopp who at the time was much more highly sought after than Poch

We’re underachieving and Tottenham are overachieving.

Natural order will eventually be restored.

Poch has taken this Spurs side further than anyone could have imagined, expecting him to take them any further given the limited resources at his disposal is just folly. The United project is the next logical step in his career.

You refuse to see it because you're a Spurs fan, which is perfectly understandable all things considered.

Where have I said it wouldn’t be an appropriate project for him? I don’t think the time is right for him, I’m not refusing anything, I do like your use of the word folly though, good work.

I think he'll go to Real Madrid. Can't really say that there's instability there because we've become a bit of a sacking club now.

Put it this way - there have been three scenarios - think of how another manager would potentially see it...

- 1 highly rated manager ready for the next step up; reputation for developing youngsters and playing good football; promised time to develop the team.
Result: Sacked after being given less than a season, arguably the scapegoat for a poor squad.
- 1 highly rated no-nonsense manager: reputation for developing players and playing good football.
Result: Regained CL football, but sacked behind his back straight after winning the FA Cup.
- 1 of the most successful managers in recent times; reputation for winning trophies at any cost.
Result: Sacked after winning 2 trophies

You couldn't blame a manager for wondering what chances they'd stand if they were expected to do a better job than LVG and Mourinho could, whilst seemingly being given less than a season to get going.

United have two options - they do what City, Chelsea and Real do and keep swapping managers for short-term (1-2 years) of success, rinse and repeat; or, they bring in someone with a long term project, forget "commercially viable" players like Pogba, and allow a manager to rebuild the squad around the young academy lads.

The latter is what Pochettino did - for those who weren't paying too much attention at that time, he practically ostracised the entire first team and played the likes of Townsend, Mason and the practically green Kane over the likes of Paulinho, Soldado and Adebayor. It took a good season for that to pay off, and the purge of "stars" for cheap youth players like Dier and Alli became the foundation of the current team. Mourinho has taken a hammering for dropping Pogba and Sanchez, so it doesn't look likely that United/Woodward will accept that kind of resolution.

Blamed for poor squad and not his management? A manager who had the entire window to fix a title winning squad yet he ended up getting someone on the deadline day who had a release clause? Stopped reading right there.
Dude , you have no idea what you are talking about.

I like how Spurs fans act like Poch is their close friend and they know how will he act and react to every situation. :lol:

Blamed for poor squad and not his management? A manager who had the entire window to fix a title winning squad yet he ended up getting someone on the deadline day who had a release clause? Stopped reading right there.

Only David Moyes' mother would believe what @bond19821982 just trotted out - Doris is that you?

I wouldn't mind Poch at all but the only thing that worries me is who's in charge of transfers at Spurs, they've done some really good business over the last few seasons but transfers were meant to be a strength of Mourinho and he ballsed that up, so I'm just wary as to how good Poch is with those really. Klopp and Guardiola for instance have recruited and integrated players really well over the last few seasons.
Their transfer business in recent seasons is actually quite meh. They haven't reinforced their midfield in ages and their attack is pretty much the same apart from Moura who has been decent The important players are actually guys who have been there for 3/4+ years.

Thanks - so Poch can just leave?

I thought a club wanting him have to pay a huge fee to Spurs?
He signed 5 year contract for 8.5m per season. If it is at the end of the season the buyout will be 30m+ or thereabouts.

You say that based (I would hope) fully on the understanding that the Man Utd managers have next to no control over transfers.

I'm guessing you think Mourinho spent the whole summer window choosing not to fix the issues in defence, too?

Are you a relative of Edward Woodward at all?

He signed 5 year contract for 8.5m per season. If it is at the end of the season the buyout will be 30m+ or thereabouts.

We have no idea about what's in his contract, it's not as simple as multiplying his salary by the time remaining on his contract. Having said that, compensation is likely to be high to ward off other teams.

I don’t think it is a clear cut as

“Spurs to United is a no brainer”

Yes he would be an absolute loon to not consider it IF United came calling

It’s Manchester United for Christ sake, he’d need sending to Broadmoor to not consider it.

But he is in an immensely fantastic position at Spurs

He’s currently manager of an already huge Club, with arguably one of the best teams in the League, and soon to be starting a new era with the Club moving into their new modern 60k+ seater stadium, the Club has gone from top 4 hopefuls to top 4 regulars, there’s only one more step now and that’s silverware.

Maybe Levvy will give him a bigger budget with any possible United interest lurking

United has its history, United is one of the worlds biggest Clubs, United can put a war chest on the table, but it’s certainly a mess, does he risk what he’s got?

Move from Spurs’s best period ever too go over and join United’s worse period ever

Not clear cut imo

You say that based (I would hope) fully on the understanding that the Man Utd managers have next to no control over transfers.

I'm guessing you think Mourinho spent the whole summer window choosing not to fix the issues in defence, too?

Are you a relative of Edward Woodward at all?

That is absolute rubbish.

What led you to that conclusion?

The board is willing to back you up with 400+m warchest for two years. Failing on improvement, you'll get a nice 20m handshake.

It's a win-win situation for every manager out there. And we're talking about Poch, a manager who hasn't win anything (yet).

It’s Manchester United for Christ sake, he’d need sending to Broadmoor to not consider it.

He’s currently manager of an already huge Club, with arguably one of the best teams in the League, and soon to be starting a new era with the Club moving into their new modern 60k+ seater stadium, the Club has gone from top 4 hopefuls to top 4 regulars, there’s only one more step now and that’s silverware.

Maybe Levvy will give him a bigger budget with any possible United interest lurking

United has its history, United is one of the worlds biggest Clubs, United can put a war chest on the table, but it’s certainly a mess, does he risk what he’s got?

Move from Spurs best period ever to United worse period ever

Not clear cut imo
I somehow don't really understand the whole "New era" thing with moving to a new stadium. Is there something else to suggest that Spurs are going to move from top 4 to top 2 or 1?
I mean it is a big thing for a club obviously, but for a manager or the player, is it something long lasting new challenge. I mean the fanciness would start coming off after a few weeks or months.

Secondly, Spurs would need some big signings or some hidden talents reach big heights, to move on from top 4 to title challengers. Especially given that everyone including Liverpool are ready to splash the cash now. Has Spurs really got the means to fund it without selling anyone.

Move from Spurs’s best period ever too go over and join United’s worse period ever

Not clear cut imo

What on Earth are you on about...?

'Spurs best period ever'? Spurs haven't won a trophy in 11 years, and that was a League Cup!

United have won more trophies in our 'worse period ever' than Spurs have won in the last 25 years... Think about that.

To come to Man Utd would be an absolute honour for Pochettino. As you can see in his press conference.

The 'no trophies' argument is a red herring to me.

We all know the League Cup and FA cup have been massively devalued in recent years. There are really only two trophies that the boards of elite clubs care about nowadays: the PL and the CL. After that, it's all about getting top four - you could even call that a trophy in itself.

If you look at it that way, Poch has won something each of the last four years.

IF he gets the Utd job then surely first thing he does is a straight swap involving Lukaku/Kane, wouldnt fix us but it would be a good start!

The 'no trophies' argument is a red herring to me.

We all know the League Cup and FA cup have been massively devalued in recent years. There are really only two trophies that the boards of elite clubs care about nowadays: the PL and the CL. After that, it's all about getting top four - you could even call that a trophy in itself.

If you look at it that way, Poch has won something each of the last four years.

You think Spurs board / Levy wouldn't want an FA Cup...? Or a Europa League? Or even a League Cup?

Winning trophies is fecking important.

Some of the resident Spurs Spammers on here may try and down talk the 'lesser trophies', but trust me, if they were capable of winning one they'd celebrate it gladly.

When managers retire, they want an honours list - no-one cares about finishing Top 4 year in - year out if you're winning nothing.

What on Earth are you on about...?

'Spurs best period ever'? Spurs haven't won a trophy in 11 years, and that was a League Cup!

United have won more trophies in our 'worse period ever' than Spurs have won in the last 25 years... Think about that.

To come to Man Utd would be an absolute honour for Pochettino. As you can see in his press conference.

I’m not saying Spurs are bigger than United for Christ sake

I’m just saying they aren’t exactly small timers when you look at the Club NOW and their direction NOW

I’m not Saying Poch wouldn’t move to United

I think I made it pretty clear in my post head be a maniac to look away from an offer

I just don’t think it’s this “no brainer” some seem to think it is