A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Levy isn't stupid, and no money would allow us to replace what he means to Tottenham right now. As long as Pochettino wants to stay at Spurs no money would make Levy happy to see him go. Having said that, if Pochettino wants to leave in the summer it will happen, but no doubt we would do whatever we could do keep him.

I don't see him leaving though, even though the united job is a dream for any project-manager.

We can easily afford to buy out his contract. He'd just need to resign. Not a problem if he decides to come here, which I believe he will

Its no secret Real wanted him, and he turned them down. He ain't going anywhere not now, not in the summer, I’m sure the Utd hierarchy know this, and will be looking else where.
Love it how positive some Spurs fans are. If he wants out he'll be out. Why would any board keep unhappy manager?

Levy isn't stupid, and no money would allow us to replace what he means to Tottenham right now. As long as Pochettino wants to stay at Spurs no money would make Levy happy to see him go. Having said that, if Pochettino wants to leave in the summer it will happen, but no doubt we would do whatever we could do keep him.

I don't see him leaving though, even though the United job is a dream for any project-manager.

In the event that Poch does join United, I can see Eddie Howe taking over at Spurs and continuing the excellent work of his predecessor.

Spurs are in a great position right now and for the foreseeable future, regardless of where Poch ends up.

We can easily afford to buy out his contract. He'd just need to resign. Not a problem if he decides to come here, which I believe he will
Correct. We paid off 20m to sack a manager. Pretty sure money is not an object.

Not my favorite choice of manager mind.

That statement is about as generic as it gets. How is it indication that he will be joining United in the summer?

I got all excited for a minute there.

I never said he was joining United!

To be fair, if I was a Spurs fan I would hope for a firmer no.

I know it has been a few years with some crap seasons, but people really underestimate what the name of Manchester United still means, there is every bit of chance that we get Poch if we really want him, easy as that, whether some on here want to admit it or not.

Yep, we've been here before. United is a bigger and better opportunity. Spurs is a nice club but they are not United and they don't even have money to sign players. It's not like buying a player where Levy could price us out of it either.

Apologies if people expected Poch to have said "come get me" after my comment. It was my reading of his demeanour and the general situation.

Stop playing hard to get and come over here, you silly boy (We need some kind of affectionate smiley. Would have fit perfectly at the end there)

Do you actually think he's resign and join United straight away? It really would be a horrible thing to do to the players and fans, and I can't see Pochettino even considering it.

In the event that Poch does join United, I can see Eddie Howe taking over at Spurs and continuing the excellent work of his predecessor.

Spurs are in a great position right now and for the foreseeable future, regardless of where Poch ends up.

I agree we would go for a manager of that ilk, and I think we'll be fine, but it's a difficult ask to continue overachieving as Poch has done and continue to do.

Would you be happy with Howe?

Apologies if people expected Poch to have said "come get me" after my comment. It was my reading of his demeanour and the general situation.

Oh so now you're a body language expert are you?

Talk about wishful thinking, that his general demeanor indicated he is off to United :lol:

Poch always looks like that, and his response was a standard response he has put in press conference's whenever he is asked about another job at another club. It happened when United sacked LVG and went for Mourinho, it happened when Zidane left Madrid, and it's happening again.

I'm not so stupid to think there is no way Poch could be tempted by the United job, but I repeat, he is so so invested in Spurs, in building up the club to elite level status, leaving a lasting legacy etc He is already one of the highest paid managers in the world, so he wouldn't have to leave for financial reasons. United would have to convince Poch that starting a new project at United is more attractive than continuing the work he is doing at Spurs. It's possible he could be tempted of course, but logic would dictate it highly unlikely, based on the evidence we have available, which is Poch's previous actions, such as Poch already turning down the Madrid job last summer which for a South American manager is an extremely difficult thing to do.

If Poch was to leave, he would have to be convinced that he has taken Spurs as far as he can, that he believes he has no chance of winning a PL title at Spurs. I don't think that is the case, I think he does believe he can achieve all that he wants at Spurs. Am I a little worried he could leave? Of course, I was worried he would go to Madrid last summer, but I find the notion he'd abandon Spurs just as we are entering a new stadium a bit of a stretch. I just can't see this happening in the summer at all, but time will tell.

Do you actually think he's resign and join United straight away? It really would be a horrible thing to do to the players and fans, and I can't see Pochettino even considering it.
We've seen managers moving to bigger clubs mid season, nothing new.

Even you got Redknapp in 08 after he won the FA Cup.

It is clear that some United fans have absolutely no clue about Poch, in his press conference he pointed to the 6 years he has been at Spurs and his answer has always been the same *his future is tied to Tottenham*. Read his book listen to his quotes instead of making up absolute nonsense to suit your agendas.

I agree anything is possible in football, but I can guarantee Poch would never resign from any club and have his contract bought out, it’s absolute fantasy and to do so would ruin his persona.

It is clear that some United fans have absolutely no clue about Poch, in his press conference he pointed to the 6 years he has been at Spurs and his answer has always been the same *his future is tied to Tottenham*. Read his book listen to his quotes instead of making up absolute nonsense to suit your agendas.

I agree anything is possible in football, but I can guarantee Poch would never resign from any club and have his contract bought out, it’s absolute fantasy and to do so would ruin his persona.

Kind of a contradiction there...

Poch is just being neutral, it's the best thing to do because most good managers like to know what's available. I'm certain he'll stay at Spurs but if Woodward was to offer him triple his salary and £400m transfer money, the next 5-10 years of the Spurs project might seem a bit less appealing.

We've seen managers moving to bigger clubs mid season, nothing new.

Even you got Redknapp in 08 after he won the FA Cup.

Utterly deluded if you even entertain the possibility of Poch leaving Spurs mid-season to take over the mess at United.

Who finished 3 places above you in the table the season before and won the FA cup. Isn't it the same with Spurs United at the moment?

Errr, no, no it isn't. Spurs are CL regulars, challenging for the title (outsiders granted), one of the strongest squads in the league and are about to move into the best stadium in the country, it is completely different to Redknapp leaving Portsmouth for Spurs in 2008. Jeez, I read some clueless comments sometimes but that is right up there.

Who finished 3 places above you in the table the season before and won the FA cup. Isn't it the same with Spurs United at the moment?

Do you seriously think Tottenham and Portsmouth are comparable as a club? Plus Harry only thinks about Harry he is a totally different character to Poch, and no I don’t think it’s at all comparable, it just fits your argument that a manager moved midseason.

That response gives me some hope. He could have said ,I will be here at Spurs next season. Fact that he has not said, means he is keeping his options open.

Argentinian Moyes. Haven't you learned your lesson with managers who deliver constant top half finishes and have won literally no trophies whatsoever? Really hope we don't waste time and money on him

Utterly deluded if you even entertain the possibility of Poch leaving Spurs mid-season to take over the mess at United.

Spurs and Portsmouth were midtable clubs at the time. Barely no difference if you follow the season after Portsmouth were promoted. Was just for analog you know...

Errr, no, no it isn't. Spurs are CL regulars, challenging for the title, one of the strongest squads in the league and are about to move into the best stadium in the country, it is completely different to Redknapp leaving Portsmouth for Spurs in 2008. Jeez, I read some clueless comments sometimes but that is right up there.

Poch will have no chance winning the title at Spurs. He would have hundreds of millions at United and zero at Spurs due to that best stadium in the country. Along with better paycheck. Not sure who is the deluded one.

Kind of a contradiction there...

Poch is just being neutral, it's the best thing to do because most good managers like to know what's available. I'm certain he'll stay at Spurs but if Woodward was to offer him triple his salary and £400m transfer money, the next 5-10 years of the Spurs project might seem a bit less appealing.

Ok it’s very highly unlikely then, it goes against everything claims to be about.

I don't see him leaving though, even though the united job is a dream for any project-manager.
He is not a player though. He is an employee. There is no registration issues, etc. Therefore if he wants to move its not like a player putting in a transfer request. Its not similar to us going for Kane or Eriksen.
I have seen claims that United would have to pay out the reminder of his contract, which I personally question until someone states valid legal grounds for that claim. That said, if its correct; 31m is nothing for United.
It will come down to if Pochettino wants to leave or not. Levy will have nothing to say about it as he would if it had been a player though.
I dont think Pochettino will want to leave, but thats not more than an educated guess.

Do you seriously think Tottenham and Portsmouth are comparable as a club? Plus Harry only thinks about Harry he is a totally different character to Poch, and no I don’t think it’s at all comparable, it just fits your argument that a manager moved midseason.
At the time they were. Usually mid table finishes and managers get sacked within 2-3 years.

In the Summer there will be plenty of candidates for United's job. If you were Poch and were given an opportunity to manage one of the best clubs in the country and previously in the world would you turn it down?

Things might go sour for you next season with limited bench and one bad season, then what for him? He has won zero titles at the moment and that is unlikely to change at Spurs.

At the time they were.

In the Summer there will be plenty of candidates for United's job. If you were Poch and were given an opportunity to manage one of the best clubs in the country and previously in the world would you turn it down?

Things might go sour for you next season with limited bench and one bad season, then what for him? He has won zero titles at the moment and that is unlikely to change at Spurs.

I have no idea I’m not Poch, I can only go on what he says, he was asked if it was possible to turn down Madrid he said *for him yes it is*, I see no reason why he couldn’t turn down United. Of course he may but I have absolutely no evidence that he would given what he has said and done in the past.

Can I ask, why is there no interest in Pep or Klopp? Even where both were clearly obtainable at a point in time? There have been 3 opportunities to appoint a manager now, Moyes and Van Gal weren’t given time, Jose was never a fit.

That’s the amount on his contract yes.
It might be, I am still waiting for someone to cite the legal grounds for United or any other employer needing to pay that or any other amount to release his from an employment contract. He is not a player and we dont enforce slavery within the EU as far as I know.

It might be, I am still waiting for someone to cite the legal grounds for United or any other employer needing to pay that or any other amount to release his from an employment contract. He is not a player and we dont enforce slavery within the EU as far as I know.

Don’t be an idiot, seriously.

Don’t be an idiot, seriously.
Yeah, sorry, that was too much. But quote me the legal reasons for why Spurs would be able to forbid Pochettino to be able to work within the EU if he decided to terminate his employment contract?

I have no idea I’m not Poch, I can only go on what he says, he was asked if it was possible to turn down Madrid he said *for him yes it is*, I see no reason why he couldn’t turn down United. Of course he may but I have absolutely no evidence that he would given what he has said and done in the past.

Can I ask, why is there no interest in Pep or Klopp? Even where both were clearly obtainable at a point in time? There have been 3 opportunities to appoint a manager now, Moyes and Van Gal weren’t given time, Jose was never a fit.

You never know if Real approach Poch. It was just paper talk which he commented on whilst being currently employed at Spurs. If there is enough interest I can't see him turning Real down, especially managing a club in a culture closer to his.

Managers talk a lot of crap and can backtrack days after. Nothing new really. But some of the comments in the thread are deluded. Would Poch be enticed by a bigger paycheck and more resources at a bigger club? He has to be an idiot not to. He's not a player and if he wants to leave I'm sure both Real and United would easily buy off his contract.

I'm not a fan of his either way or my personal favorite mind.

To me we should be looking at more experienced manager who managed top teams and won titles, not Poch. The latter could easily end up as another Moyes.

Yeah, sorry, that was too much. But quote me the legal reasons for why Spurs would be able to forbid Pochettino to be able to work within the EU if he decided to terminate his employment contract?

Why would he terminate his contract after a year of signing it, there is a way to do business and Poch prides himself in how he goes about things. On a general note if employees didn’t have to honour contracts in any form of business the business world would be a complete mess and salaries would plumit, it would be chaos.