A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Spurs has no ambition to win the league, they have a very good team and just probably two top players away to actually capable challenging the league with City.

If they were not a selling team and still had Bale and Modric they may have won already. Kane, Bale, Eriksen, Alli, Modric, Dembele, Trippier, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Lloris. Certainly decent on paper.

Spurs has no ambition to win the league, they have a very good team and just probably two top players away to actually capable challenging the league with City. I would like to know what Pochettino is capable of if he’s given a decent amount of money, he won’t have the money in Spurs but he will have them if he joins United ;)

Although, I haven’t been so Impressed with some of his highest signings.

But even so, with our current players, he will do worse than he is doing in Spurs. We need massive improvement in our back four.

What a ridiculous statement. You may (and obviously do) think that Spurs have little chance of winning the league, but to say that we have no ambition to do so is just wrong.

I think he's exactly what Woodward and the Glazers would want.

Can't see him wanting to stay at spurs much longer. Had they spent some money he could feasibly have been challenging for the league this season. He needs to be rewarded for his quality by actually having a chance to win the big trophies.

Hopefully Woodward is tapping him up through his agent as we speak.

What a ridiculous statement. You may (and obviously do) think that Spurs have little chance of winning the league, but to say that we have no ambition to do so is just wrong.

Every club 'wants' to win the league. Saying there is no ambition is such a weird claim.

Cannot understand why everyone says he will leave Spurs for another club in England. If he leaves one day he will go abroad imo.

I think he's exactly what Woodward and the Glazers would want.

Can't see him wanting to stay at spurs much longer. Had they spent some money he could feasibly have been challenging for the league this season. He needs to be rewarded for his quality by actually having a chance to win the big trophies.

Hopefully Woodward is tapping him up through his agent as we speak.

If you listen to what he actually says again and again this doesn't seem to be the case. He knows he is a wanted man by many clubs, and if he wanted to leave he would have the opportunity to do so, but he continue to talk about Spurs as his long term project.

I'm not one to make predictions too far into the future because things change, but I'll be extremely surprised if Poch isn't managing Spurs next season, and I'm almost certain both Real Madrid and Manchester United would be interested in hiring him. He doesn't actually have an agent by the way.

If you listen to what he actually says again and again this doesn't seem to be the case. He knows he is a wanted man by many clubs, and if he wanted to leave he would have the opportunity to do so, but he continue to talk about Spurs as his long term project.

I'm not one to make predictions too far into the future because things change, but I'll be extremely surprised if Poch isn't managing Spurs next season, and I'm almost certain both Real Madrid and Manchester United would be interested in hiring him. He doesn't actually have an agent by the way.

Perhaps. And fair play to him if that's what he actually wants. I think he could be enticed by the right opportunity though. What's going on at Spurs is a bit unfair on him imo.

Perhaps. And fair play to him if that's what he actually wants. I think he could be enticed by the right opportunity though. What's going on at Spurs is a bit unfair on him imo.

I don't really agree. Pochettino was well aware when he first joined that the bulk of spare money would go towards the new stadium costs. And then last summer he signed a new contract (which, by the way, makes him one of the best paid managers in Europe, at up to £8.5m per year depending on achievement-related bonuses) still knowing that the same financial constraints applied.

But in compensation he was given given a fantastic new training ground, one that's now been improved even further with the addition of a player accommodation lodge, plus complete authority over the squad.

I'd also say that the financial constraints have made it easier for him to do what he clearly likes doing, namely coaching and developing our younger players and giving them real first team opportunities - Oliver Skipp's full debut yesterday being only the latest example.

Of course he'd like more money for squad investment - and he might start to get this soon - but he's known all along exactly what the deal is at Spurs.

I don't really agree. Pochettino was well aware when he first joined that the bulk of spare money would go towards the new stadium costs. And then last summer he signed a new contract (which, by the way, makes him one of the best paid managers in Europe, at up to £8.5m per year depending on achievement-related bonuses) still knowing that the same financial constraints applied.

But in compensation he was given given a fantastic new training ground, one that's now been improved even further with the addition of a player accommodation lodge, plus complete authority over the squad.

I'd also say that the financial constraints have made it easier for him to do what he clearly likes doing, namely coaching and developing our younger players and giving them real first team opportunities - Oliver Skipp's full debut yesterday being only the latest example.

Of course he'd like more money for squad investment - and he might start to get this soon - but he's known all along exactly what the deal is at Spurs.

I didn't mean unfair as in he hadn't known what he'd signed up for. I mean it more in terms of him having to compete against clubs with more resources. Spurs are not as good as City or Liverpool yet it's Spurs who aren't signing anyone.

I actually kind of feel like he's working miracles to be honest and Levy needs to do everything he can to keep him. Because he's the one thing holding the club together right now. If Poch leaves who knows how many of the to players would look to move on also.

I didn't mean unfair as in he hadn't known what he'd signed up for. I mean it more in terms of him having to compete against clubs with more resources. Spurs are not as good as City or Liverpool yet it's Spurs who aren't signing anyone.

I actually kind of feel like he's working miracles to be honest and Levy needs to do everything he can to keep him. Because he's the one thing holding the club together right now. If Poch leaves who knows how many of the to players would look to move on also.

We are lucky to have him for sure. I'd also say we're lucky to have Levy and I think he gets a lot of undeserved stick. And Pochettino is always quick to praise Levy for what he is doing for Tottenham. I don't know the exact financial situation of the club, but I'm certain that Levy is doing what he thinks is best for the club long term. The club is investing what money we have, not in players, but in infrastructure which can seem unfair on Pochettino. However, I'm quite confident that if Pochettino insists on a player Levy would do what he could to get him, he's not stupid and he knows how important Pochettino is.

As Glaston said, Pochettino is very well paid, and has complete freedom to make footballing decisions, no player is bigger than him, no player is signed without his blessing or sold without his blessing.

You should have spend something to improve your squad this summer if you have an ambition to win it.

Can you please explain the post bud from @Arbitrium or it is it a personal :lol: between your mates mentioned in Arbitriums post. Making me confused :confused:. Or are you mistaking me for another poster dude? :)

It's a bit of a private joke, between a few people that used to play WW. There was a poster called lookingforericsseagulls that disappeared after an argument once and has never come back.

Would be a hell of an ask to make him drop Champions League football to coach an EL team.

It's a bit of a private joke, between a few people that used to play WW. There was a poster called lookingforericsseagulls that disappeared after an argument once and has never come back.
Don't know what WW is mate? Could you please be kind enough to explain it what it is mate? . Just had conversation your mate Arbitrium. I never argue on forum, although regularly have heated debates when I am right, which is not very often mate :lol:. Seems a bit childish to disappear after an argument. He must have had a strong belief in his/her opinion to have argument with 4 of you.

Don't know what WW is mate? Could you please be kind enough to explain it what it is mate? . Just had conversation your mate Arbitrium. I never argue on forum, although regularly have heated debates when I am right, which is not very often mate :lol:. Seems a bit childish to disappear after an argument. He must have had a strong belief in his/her opinion to have argument with 4 of you.

It's just a game called werewolf, its confusing as anything but don't worry mate Arbitrium doesn't mean anything about you, just your username makes it funny

It's just a game called werewolf, its confusing as anything but don't worry mate Arbitrium doesn't mean anything about you, just your username makes it funny

Glad you like my username. The Sardines do as well. By the way I am King Eric's Pet Seagull:lol:, Eric's Seagull has a better ring to it. Pleased that I could amuse you and your friends mate, happy you find it funny. After all one of the things I came on here to do was have a laugh with like minded people like yourself pal :D

Pochettino is the man we need to rebuild this club. If there's a chance we could buy him out of his contract, I'd say it's well worth it.

Can have some games at the new stadium, finish the season then the time has come to move to a big club.

I doubt we could get him or he would want to come here, even in the summer, but he should absolutely be the man we target first.

He'll be our next manager, I'm absolutely convinced.

Edit: Not arrogant btw, I just genuinely think that Paul Mitchell will come in and Pochetinno will be next. Don't want to start a fight with the Spurs fans.

Last edited:
Summer. I'm talking about permanent manager not a chance he'll be here before June 2019.

I respect your opinion but I don’t think he will be at United in the Summer, of course anything is posibile but it makes very little sence for him at this point. I think you are missing a major trick by not going for Howe, I think you will be after Zidane or Conte (same style as Jose, but far more dedicated) personally.

I respect your opinion but I don’t think he will be at United in the Summer, of course anything is posibile but it makes very little sence for him at this point. I think you are missing a major trick by not going for Howe.
If the stadium is negatively impacting his ability to bring new players in and he's being wooed by united anything could happen. Its not like he didn't have a good project going on at Southampton when Spurs came calling. for all the mess behind the scenes, opportunities to manage United only come along every couple of seasons (groan)

Edit: Not arrogant btw, I just genuinely think that Paul Mitchell will come in and Pochetinno will be next. Don't want to start a fight with the Spurs fans.

I just can’t see it I’m sorry. From what I gather Poch and Mitchell don’t even like each other that much. Mitchell left as Poch was overruling his transfer choices etc pretty sure that’s what happened. But that’s by the by, I can’t see why he would abandon where Spurs are at now to manage another English club.

I have no doubts you’ll go all out for him but I think you’ll be very disappointed.

I respect your opinion but I don’t think he will be at United in the Summer, of course anything is posibile but it makes very little sence for him at this point. I think you are missing a major trick by not going for Howe, I think you will be after Zidane or Conte (same style as Jose, but far more dedicated) personally.

Fair no problem, I don't expect any Spurs fan to agree with my prediction.

I just can’t see it I’m sorry. From what I gather Poch and Mitchell don’t even like each other that much. Mitchell left as Poch was overruling his transfer choices etc pretty sure that’s what happened. But that’s by the by, I can’t see why he would abandon where Spurs are at now to manage another English club.

I have no doubts you’ll go all out for him but I think you’ll be very disappointed.

Fair enough as I said that I don't want to sound too arrogant or start an argument with you guys. I just think that he'll be our next manager.

Fully agree.

If United go after Pochettino they'll waste their time pursuing the unobtainable (like they've done with some transfer targets) and meanwhile the more realistic and viable options will slip through their fingers. The result in this eventuality: a panic appointment of some 'big name' manager (yet again) and the cycle will rinse and repeat.

Fair enough as I said that I don't want to sound too arrogant or start an argument with you guys. I just think that he'll be our next manager.

I’m not saying United isn’t a big draw it is, but Poch is an incredably genuine guy, 2nd longest serving manger with us in the premiership and has said time and time again his future is heavily invested in the club. Also you just paid £20m odd to get rid of Jose, would you really pay another £40-50m to get another manager in?

Last edited:

I Hope you're right, although I'm clearly not as convinced as you.

I can't see it happening before this season has come to a close, Poch doesn't seem the type to just up and leave his current club mid-season.