2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Again.. BUT BIDEN DIDN'T STAY ON.

He got removed because a higher standard applies to him.

Trump displaying equal or greater cognitive issues is not held to the same standard.

Your hypothetical is pointless because it's literally not what happened in reality.
He got removed cause he was losing all 7-8 swing states by a large margin and polls were showing that states like Minnesota could be lost too. And in a presidential year election, votes do not get often split which means that Dems would have been fecked in Senate and House too. So the Dem establishment forced him to stand down.

It had nothing to do with standards applying to him, standards really didn't applied to him, and if they were, VP Harris would have used Amendment 25

Almost everyone on here was saying it couldn't go on like that and wanted him to step down, so how does that ring hollow?
It took one of the most catastrophic debate performances in modern U.S. political history for people to admit this. Before that there was general denial about it even though the basic fact of his advanced age never changed.

You can just look at what was being posted the day of the debate:

You have bee duped by Republican/Far Right talking points. There is absolutely nothing coherent and energetic about Trump - and although Biden is old as feck and stiff, he most certainly is not "unwell".
You've been watching edited videos on social media most likely, just so you know.
One of the most useless things Biden and the dems have allowed to happen is perpetuate this myth that he’s not compos mentis. He should have lent into the whole Grandpa Joe thing and run with that. But no, let’s just ignore the biggest elephant in the room until it’s too late. Now everyone thinks he’s got dementia, brilliant.
The hyperbole around Biden's aging like he is propped up and a barely conscious corpse to prop up trump is ridiculous.
81-year-old Biden being decrepit was a right-wing conspiracy!

He got removed cause he was losing all 7-8 swing states by a large margin and polls were showing that states like Minnesota could be lost too. And in a presidential year election, votes do not get often split which means that Dems would have been fecked in Senate and House too. So the Dem establishment forced him to stand down.

It had nothing to do with standards applying to him, standards really didn't applied to him, and if they were, VP Harris would have used Amendment 25
But he did get removed.

Why was he losing in all those states?
Why is Kamala competitive in them?

I mean, come on folks.

But he did get removed.

Why was he losing in all those states?
Why is Kamala competitive in them?

I mean, come on folks.
He got removed cause he was going for a historical defeat, nothing having to do with standards. And he was losing that big only when it became clear even to the biggest partisans that he is demented, and not only at some early stage. Something that people were denying even one day before the debate, despite being crystal clear.

If there was any standard, he wouldn't be a president right now.

So you're saying they're sacrificing their standards to win.

Yes.
It's really not about standards, but about winning. For whatever reason, Trump can seemingly win while being a crazy, bigoted, old fool, but Biden clearly couldn't win being senile. It has more to do with the electorate than standards of each of the parties. If Biden was somehow polling at 60% nationally even after his debate performance, do you think he would have been removed from the ticket? Of course he wouldn't have been.

He got removed cause he was going for a historical defeat, nothing having to do with standards. And he was losing that big only when it became clear even to the biggest partisans that he is demented, and not only at some early stage.

And why was he going for a historical defeat?

It's really not about standards, but about winning. For whatever reason, Trump can seemingly win while being a crazy, bigoted, old fool, but Biden clearly couldn't win being senile. It has more to do with the electorate than standards of each of the parties. If Biden was somehow polling at 60% nationally even after his debate performance, do you think he would have been removed from the ticket? Of course he wouldn't have been.
But he wasn't, because of his senility, so they removed him.

The example is moot.

Bad NYT poll for Harris this morning, a national vote tie surely means a Trump win? The only positive is that Harris is still looking strong in the rust belt for now. A reverse 2016 situation would be funny but unlikely.

Swaying to music on stage for 30 minutes when he was meant to be doing a Q&A isn't as bad?

He has also made numerous gaffs with mixing up people and places that people eviscerated Biden for.
No, I don't think Trump has done anything that makes him seem as old and feeble, as what Biden did during the debate. Crazy, weird, and bigoted though? Of course.

Cause the media and the party cannot hide anymore that he is completely demented. He cannot even read from a teleprompter these days anymore. Hard to find independents who would vote for him and you cannot win without them.

But he wasn't, because of his senility, so they removed him.

The example is moot.
I'm not sure we even disagree. Biden was removed because he couldn't win after the debate performance. Not because the Democrats have some kind of internal standard against running senile candidates.

Bad NYT poll for Harris this morning, a national vote tie surely means a Trump win? The only positive is that Harris is still looking strong in the rust belt for now. A reverse 2016 situation would be funny but unlikely.

An actual tie means a Trump win, but he isn't winning the popular vote though.

No shit.
Are they only dropping a national poll? I was hoping we would be getting some battleground state polls from NYT by now. Personally I'm not reading too much into the national polls at this point.

It's as blatant a hedge as I've ever seen, and that's taking into account that their national number has kinda been in its own universe this cycle. Tied in RVs and Trump up 1 in LV, but at the same time there are 15% undecideds and Harris leads them by 10 pts, so they are covered either way betwwen that and the MoE.

He got removed cause he was going for a historical defeat, nothing having to do with standards. And he was losing that big only when it became clear even to the biggest partisans that he is demented, and not only at some early stage. Something that people were denying even one day before the debate, despite being crystal clear.

Wasn’t he removed because of a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B

Whose standards? He got removed, because it became clear to the Democrats that he would lose. The opposite is true for Trump - if the Republicans removed him, they would definitely lose.
It also seems to be forgotten that back when the Access Hollywood tape scandal broke out, a lot of Republicans did break with Trump because they expected him to lose and drag the whole party down. However, it was not possible to remove him from the ballot, and he refused to drop out, so they played their shitty cards as best they could. And they won.

Which raises an interesting question: if Biden had not dropped out, and somehow won the election, would this reflect badly on dems? Would they not be allowed to celebrate since they set aside their standards to win? Personally I think they should be allowed to celebrate regardless.

It also seems to be forgotten that back when the Access Hollywood tape scandal broke out, a lot of Republicans did break with Trump because they expected him to lose and drag the whole party down. However, it was not possible to remove him from the ballot, and he refused to drop out, so they played their shitty cards as best they could. And they won.
None of the real power players in the Republican party did, as far as I remember (Romney, Cocaine Mitch, Paul Ryan, Priebus, etc.). It was all weak condemnation without retracting endorsements. But it was also much closer to the election day, so it was pretty much a guaranteed loss if he withdrew, whereas the Democrats had something to salvage in the Biden situation.

Anyone with a working brain that spent 5 minute talking to Joe Biden knew he's losing his mind. The fact that it took a live debate to take him down shows how self centered and stupid the democrats for thinking they can run away with this. You gotta to be wandering whose calling the shot and telling him to sign those Executives order because he sure can't read pages and the fine detail, hell he even called Zelensky Putin

There's double standard on both sides, let's call it what it is

Primarily because of non-partisan voters.

In a June 2024 poll, Trump led Biden 48% to 42%. If you look at the crosstabs, 91% of Dems were voting for Biden and 93% of Reps were voting for Trump. 2% were moving to the other party. That is a very small percentage. The big gap is Independents who backed Trump by 10% and non-2020 voters who backed Trump by 19%.

According to the poll, 45% of Democrats wanted a nominee other than Joe Biden for President, and 51% of Democrats agreed with the phrase "Biden is too old to be an effective president for another term." So most Democrats did not want Joe Biden as their candidate and had doubts about his capability to be effective, but were nonetheless going to vote for him.

I am not critizing them for doing so btw. Simply saying that is what people were going to do.

It was only a few days ago that Arab Americans were polling in favour of Trump though.

Yes? This letter doesn't change any of that, and the people signing probably didn't reply to the pollster that they're voting for Trump.

81-year-old Biden being decrepit was a right-wing conspiracy!

Stephen Colbert mocks Biden's mental fitness after gaffe during Easter egg hunt​

That’s right, Jack! I got big Easter news: Joe Biden can lay eggs," Colbert joked while wearing a pair of aviator sunglasses, mimicking the president. "Easy as pie. No, I push ’em right out the cloaca. Serve ’em up scrambled, or sit on ’em for a while, raise a beautiful flock of little baby Joes, ‘peep, peep, peep.'"
Point is, I am mentally fit to once again run for president of the United States," Colbert adds, still acting as if he was Biden while his audience laughs. "What’s goin’ on? Where’s Jill? Marco! Jill-o!"
https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-w...nt-al-roker-late-show-joe-biden-acuity-health

Yeah, that right wing conspiracy nut, Stephen Colbert, has been on about it since at least April 2023. I wonder why no left wing commentators picked up on it.

Just because it’s been happening for a decade doesn’t make it right. People should stop accepting it and be pointing it out every day.

Your particular brand of Fischer Price devils advocacy, where you pretend you are voting Harris, but then spend all day, every day criticising her and zero time every day criticising Trump, is a large reason the double standards persist.

I agree with your first paragraph. Your second paragraph though, also applies to some of our European leftists whose contribution here is mostly just to share Twitter posts critical of Biden, Harris, and Democrats without calling out Trump either which also is a large reason for double standards.

Which raises an interesting question: if Biden had not dropped out, and somehow won the election, would this reflect badly on dems? Would they not be allowed to celebrate since they set aside their standards to win? Personally I think they should be allowed to celebrate regardless.

This is STILL all speculation on hypotheticals.

You can speculate as to the reasons why Biden got removed, but he did actually get removed and Trump didn't. This is the actual reality and everything else is just your opinion.

Most of the big corporations only pay around 16-17% anyway due to all the loopholes

I'm skeptical about the SALT thing TBH, Trump never admits he does anything wrong and this would be exactly that, it definitely was a ploy to punish blue states/cities

Regarding tariffs, they did try and explain them originally that way, obviously that didn't work, what they really need is a top business CEO that people know and trust and get them to give the message, whether one exists is a different matter though!

Sure. But if the Corporation tax base rate gets lowered to 15%, they may end up paying sub 10%. Cue record profits, record CEO pay and stock buy backs.

I am also skeptical about SALT limit being removed. It gives GOP house candidates in NY, NJ and Cali something to run on.

Mark Cuban does a great job in explaining the folly of tariffs. Would have made a great Dem candidate, or running mate to Harris.

I think the idea of a double standard for Trump is overstated. The majority of this double standard is partisanship, and if we are honest, we would admit that we all engage in it. Biden was incapable of serving another term as president, and yet if he'd stayed on he would have gotten at least 40% of the vote. Candidate quality is important and it can win or lose elections, but it doesn't swing the entire vote.

The subheading of that 'Harris/Trump double standard' article is "one candidate can rant about gibberish while the other has to be perfect." Does it have to be perfect? Perfect for what? Harris is currently running an extremely imperfect campaign, under less-than-ideal circumstances, and she is tied. If she was running in better circumstances or had a better campaign she might be winning more comfortably. No perfection needed.

It comes across as a refusal to accept that 'anyone but Trump' isn't going to be a landslide win by default.

Why do you say she is running an "extremely imperfect" campaign ?

Given those less than ideal circumstances you mention, what could she be doing better?

Is it her that is far from imperfect, or the way the campaign is being run?

Rory Stewart made an interesting point thinking that the polling companies are all too scared to deviate from the others so the data isn’t that meaningful. He thinks Harris will win.

An actual tie means a Trump win, but he isn't winning the popular vote though.

Not necessarily. I don't think the same rules of 2016 or 2020 are going to follow.

I think we are seeing a realignment of voters in many states. I expect to see Trump reducing the margin in places like NY, NJ and California and possibly running up the numbers even further in some of the already deep red states. If true, that could reflect in national polls.