2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Yeah, I agree. Unless something happens in the next few weeks I think Trump will win. I thought Harris would win last month

Don't base it on the RV poll above. Harris is up by about 3 in most of the polling averages, which suggests the race is pretty much a toss up. If she turns out more people than Trump, as Biden did, then she will win.

She's looking stronger than expected in Pennsylvania at the moment which is encouraging, the candidate who wins that state usually wins the election.

It will be much closer than it was in 2020 though that much is clear.

500 000 - 750 000 is often cited as an estimate for the death toll during the American Civil War, from a population of 18.5 million. January 6th lead to 1-5 deaths, out of a population of 332 million.

I'd say the civil war was more dangerous.

You’re talking about American deaths. If Trump licks Putins arsehole as he seems so keen to do, the death toll across Russias borders will be far higher.

Unless you just mean Trump losing and a civil war ensuing. In which case, people will just laugh as dweebs with access to guns get absolutely obliterated by the totality of the worlds most violent war apparatus.

She's looking stronger than expected in Pennsylvania at the moment which is encouraging, the candidate who wins that state usually wins the election.

It will be much closer than it was in 2020 though that much is clear.

Trump has made a few gains in PA this month. Fortunately, the NYT Sienna LV poll has her up by 4 and its the latest poll available. Still they are all within the margin of error, with the possible exception of the NYT poll.

7sCCV9y.png

Harris and Walz are also going heavy on PA, MI, and WI stops this week, and it some point, they are going to have to prioritize a strategy that sticks to the rust belt states and maybe winning NV, instead of spending precious time in AZ and GA. Let Obama and Bill Clinton handle the sunbelt.

Yeah, I agree. Unless something happens in the next few weeks I think Trump will win. I thought Harris would win last month

Polling isn't all you have too look at, enthusiasm is high for democrats, not so much for republicans, people have to actually show up to vote, not just say which candidate they prefer.

Polling hasn't changed that much either, from what i can tell, a point here or there doesnt say much.

Tbh I'm just not sure what else she can do. If the prospect of a second Trump term, the issue of abortion, the fact the economy is clearly improving - if none of that is enough to get enough voters out than America is just doomed to its idiocy. People say she's not out there doing interviews - she does interviews. People say she's not doing alternative media, she does alternative media. People say her surrogates aren't out there enough - they're all out there. The campaign is being run as well as any. Just contrast it with Trump - who is literally just spouting nonense for 2 hours every other night. His campaign have given up with the candidate, and instead are just trying to win with targeted ads. And yet, he gains ground and she loses it.

As I think I posted before, it's horrible but quite a while ago I made my peace with the fact that on January 7th of 2020 I was 100% sure the fever had broken amongst the US right, but I was wrong. And now he's as popular as ever, despite being worse on literally every metric. He's less capable, less articulate, more vile, more racist and also a convited felon oh and committed treason. Fox news and its ilk have broken America, and due to the issues of the electoral college, we will get to see how bad 4 years of Trump will be for the people that elect him. The rest of us will just have to try and survive, and hope the institutions remain a bulwark against the Project 2025 folk, because they're the only ones that will be doing any policy.

Trump will do nothing. He keeps himself out of jail, and can now peacably play golf every other day for the next 4 years, through some big parties and ensure he remains solvent through bribes. That's it for him.

well one difference between the early and later parts of the campaign is her change in emphasis. "we will not go back" vs "cheney wants to defeat trump, i will rule with republicans".
your spiel about trump was equally true when biden was in the race and he was polling much worse than trump, consistently, despite having rfk pulling away a lot of trump votes, so obviously trump has enough people (close to but not quite 50%) willing to vote for him to win.

well one difference between the early and later parts of the campaign is her change in emphasis. "we will not go back" vs "cheney wants to defeat trump, i will rule with republicans".
your spiel about trump was equally true when biden was in the race and he was polling much worse than trump, consistently, despite having rfk pulling away a lot of trump votes, so obviously trump has enough people (close to but not quite 50%) willing to vote for him to win.

Trump is not getting all that close 50%, he never has, his ceiling is about 47%, as every election.

Unless he is somehow a stronger candidate now than 4 years ago, don't get that feeling at all.

Earlier in the week, Harris criticized Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) for not taking her call about the recent hurricanes, only for Biden to praise DeSantis soon after for being "gracious" and "cooperative." (A person familiar with the situation told Axios that Biden hadn't been briefed on Harris' comments.)

Trump is not getting all that close 50%, he never has, his ceiling is about 47%, as every election.

Unless he is somehow a stronger candidate now than 4 years ago, don't get that feeling at all.

is there any indication of where turnout will be compared to 2016 and 2020?

Trump has made a few gains in PA this month. Fortunately, the NYT Sienna LV poll has her up by 4 and its the latest poll available. Still they are all within the margin of error, with the possible exception of the NYT poll.

7sCCV9y.png

Harris and Walz are also going heavy on PA, MI, and WI stops this week, and it some point, they are going to have to prioritize a strategy that sticks to the rust belt states and maybe winning NV, instead of spending precious time in AZ and GA. Let Obama and Bill Clinton handle the sunbelt.

It may have been discussed before, but a big reason for Trump's boost in the polls looks to have have been Republican pollsters flooding the averages since end of September...

@Sweet Square
tweet from a private account, think you'll like it

Kamala is cosplaying Hillary Clinton 2016 and Biden is cosplaying George W. Bush 2003. We truly are living the 18th Brumaire.

It may have been discussed before, but a big reason for Trump's boost in the polls looks to have have been Republican pollsters flooding the averages since end of September...

I've seen that argument, but most of the polls I've seen in the polling average are commonly cited polls.

Brand new NY/Sienna polls just dropped for AZ. Trump + 5 in both LV polls. Harris should probably focus on consolidating the rust belt, + NE2 and NV.

Brand new NY/Sienna polls just dropped for AZ. Trump + 5 in both LV polls. Harris should probably focus on consolidating the rust belt, + NE2 and NV.

You sure? They did Arizona like two days ago, not the same poll?

I've seen that argument, but most of the polls I've seen in the polling average are commonly cited polls.

They may be commonly sighted, but it doesn't mean they are now Republican aligned....

GZnuRwPXIAoIbMe.jpg

Trafalgar and Insider Advantage are well to lean GOP. And it's not just to boost Trumps ego....

https://www.nj.com/politics/2024/09...y-polls-will-help-trump-with-the-big-lie.html

There is no coincidence that they flood them zone with them at a time when Harris appears to be taking a lead.

They may be commonly sighted, but it doesn't mean they are now Republican aligned....

GZnuRwPXIAoIbMe.jpg

Trafalgar and Insider Advantage are well to lean GOP. And it's not just to boost Trumps ego....

https://www.nj.com/politics/2024/09...y-polls-will-help-trump-with-the-big-lie.html

There is no coincidence that they flood them zone with them at a time when Harris appears to be taking a lead.

I've seen this. The trouble with looking at it in these terms is some of the so called R leaning polls have also been quite accurate in the past, which is the predominant factor in whether they are factored into the various polling averages.

My feeling is the Dems view Georgia and North Carolina as more winnable than Arizona at this point. Immigration is an important issue to many voters in AZ and it's hurting Harris there.

Yes its the same poll. It ended on the 10th but just showed up in the FiveThirtyEight "Latest Polls" feed just now. Still, the 10th is close enough to take it seriously. Obviously turnout is going to be a big factor in how close these numbers are to reality in 3.5 weeks.

My feeling is the Dems view Georgia and North Carolina as more winnable than Arizona at this point. Immigration is an important issue to many voters in AZ and it's hurting Harris there.

Agreed. If she can somehow pick off NC, it would almost guarantee she wins since it would offset the loss of one rust belt state. If she improbably wins both NC and NV, and loses PA, she could still win that way. Seems a highly improbable scenario, but not impossible.

it was, PA+4 Harris and AZ+5 Trump.

They were the same batch as their oversampled black and Latino national poll.

For what it's worth, NYT/Siena have kinda been on their own this cycle, national tie when other network pollsters showed a sizeable Harris lead, +4 national now when NBC and ABC/Ipsos found a -4 movement, +13 Florida etc. Either they will prove a genius or Cohn will have a lot of explaining to do after the election, he's already hedging a bit with his recent articles and tweets.

it was, PA+4 Harris and AZ+5 Trump.

They were the same batch as their oversampled black and Latino national poll.

For what it's worth, NYT/Siena have kinda been on their own this cycle, national tie when other network pollsters showed a sizeable Harris lead, +4 national now when NBC and ABC/Ipsos found a -4 movement, +13 Florida etc. Either they will prove a genius or Cohn will have a lot of explaining to do after the election, he's already hedging a bit with his recent articles and tweets.

True, most others, like Emerson, CBS etc. seems to have checked out and basically just put every swing state as a tie, NYT differs from the pack.

True, most others, like Emerson, CBS etc. seems to have checked out and basically just put every swing state as a tie, NYT differs from the pack.

As long as Harris and Trump continue polling within the MoE, she has a decent chance of winning imo. The Dems just have to make sure people vote.

NC could prove important if say, Wisconsin flip, lets be honest, a big part of the reason why people distrust polling is Wisconsin specifically.

Some of the early data is looking promising, but not enough to make me trust them one bit, yet.

And what if NBC shows a good poll next time for Harris?

For me, the race has stalled for a month or so: Harris up 2-3% points nationally, and the swing states are pretty much within 1-3% points range. According to all websites that we look at, her chances have fluctuated around 53-58% for weeks now, namely a toss up.

I wasn’t sure that she would win a month ago, and I’m not sure that she would lose now. A toss up!

Also: I never liked the NY/Sienna poll. Never.

Ezra Klein in the NYT:

Ignore the Polls​

Oct. 13, 2024, 7:00 a.m. ET
excerpt:
But that’s not where the presidential election sits. As of Oct. 10, The New York Times’s polling average had Kamala Harris leading Trump by three points nationally. That’s tight, but the seven swing states are tighter: Neither candidate is leading by more than two points in any of them.

Imagine the polls perform better in 2024 than they did in either 2016 or 2020: They’re off, remarkably, by merely two points in the swing states. Huzzah! That would be consistent with Harris winning every swing state. It would also be consistent with Trump winning every swing state. This is not some outlandish scenario. According to Nate Silver’s election model, the most likely electoral outcome “is Harris sweeping all seven swing states. And the next most likely is Trump sweeping all seven.”

Which is all to say: The polls can’t tell you the way in which they’re going to be wrong, nor by how much. But that’s what matters now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/13/opinion/polls-harris-trump.html

He went hunting with his great uncle and hasn't been heard from since.
:lol:
@Sweet Square
tweet from a private account, think you'll like it

Kamala is cosplaying Hillary Clinton 2016 and Biden is cosplaying George W. Bush 2003. We truly are living the 18th Brumaire.
Nice. It’s scary how accurate it is.
passions without truth, truths without passion; heroes without heroic deeds, history without events; development, whose sole driving force seems to be the calendar, wearying with constant repetition of the same tensions and relaxations; antagonisms that periodically seem to work themselves up to a climax only to lose their sharpness and fall away without being able to resolve themselves; pretentiously paraded exertions and philistine terror at the danger of the world’s coming to an end, and at the same time the pettiest intrigues and court comedies played by the world redeemers

such strong hillary 2016 vibes.
cant even pander properly. latinos are moving to trump because of inflation and education polarisation, not because of nostalgia for george bush and his AG. jfc.

Kamala is a mediocre politician. Her winning was always dependent on America being sufficiently disgusted by Trump to turn out for her. If she wins and the GOP runs a sane candidate in 2028 she'll lose badly.