2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

With another huge hurricane inbound and Trump being a known climate change denier, who welcomes the prospect of rising sea levels, on the count of it making more beachfront properties. One would think there was a political opportunity to reach people in Florida, Georgia, The Carolinas etc and inform them there is only one party that wants face the challenge of climate change.

One would think the environment would be a top issue for Floridians who are getting bombarded by catastrophic weather events every year.

The science on climate change is as definitive as that smoking is to lung cancer. Yet the Florida Gov doesn't want to believe it....
https://www.npr.org/2024/05/17/1252...ll-that-deletes-climate-change-from-state-law

Are these people really just burying their head in the sand on the issue? Their insurance policies are skyrocketing in Florida to a point where places may be uninhabitable in years to come.

Climate change is the last things on people's minds at this time. The priority is take care of the people affected on the ground by getting them money, information, and resources to rebuild their lives.

General thoughts on Harris' 60 minutes interview? Can't say she impressed me.

It reinforced that she's not very good at interviews. Many of her answers were deflections of what was actually asked and her general demeanor was that of someone practicing in front of a mirror.

With another huge hurricane inbound and Trump being a known climate change denier, who welcomes the prospect of rising sea levels, on the count of it making more beachfront properties. One would think there was a political opportunity to reach people in Florida, Georgia, The Carolinas etc and inform them there is only one party that wants face the challenge of climate change.

One would think the environment would be a top issue for Floridians who are getting bombarded by catastrophic weather events every year.

The science on climate change is as definitive as that smoking is to lung cancer. Yet the Florida Gov doesn't want to believe it....
https://www.npr.org/2024/05/17/1252...ll-that-deletes-climate-change-from-state-law

Are these people really just burying their head in the sand on the issue? Their insurance policies are skyrocketing in Florida to a point where places may be uninhabitable in years to come.
Yes.

When MTG can push some nonsense about "Yes, they can control weather" with nonchalance, then it's safe to say that a large % of the targeted audience is made up of fecking idiots.

The strongest ideological element of the United States is it’s belief in absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
Climate change is the last things on people's minds at this time. The priority is take care of the people affected on the ground by getting them money, information, and resources to rebuild their lives.

Of course now. But do people really want to live in this cycle, year in and year out?

Or do they just want to keep boarding up their homes, evacuating and praying they still have something to come back to?

The Dems, closer to election day in Florida, should be running ads with clips of Trump talking about how climate change is a hoax.

Of course now. But do people really want to live in this cycle, year in and year out?

Or do they just want to keep boarding up their homes, evacuating and praying they still have something to come back to?

The Dems, closer to election day in Florida, should be running ads with clips of Trump talking about how climate change is a hoax.

Absolutely this.

It reinforced that she's not very good at interviews. Many of her answers were deflections of what was actually asked and her general demeanor was that of someone practicing in front of a mirror.

I don't think she is bad at interviews, per say.

I just dont think her team have helped her craft smart enough answers. It seems it is because he is often unwilling to criticize anything done during the Biden administration.

The strongest ideological element of the United States is it’s belief in absolutely nothing.

Not true. Like any right wing ideology the sole belief is money. Rest everything, religion, nativism etc. etc. is just a means to achieve it.

If the US was a person, it's personality would be money and rest of it would be empty.

You guys are making too big a deal out of the 60 Minutes interview. She wasn’t great and she generally comes off as deflecting but it wasn’t bad enough to do any sort of damage. She simply needs to get herself out there again and she comes off fine in the clips doing the rounds on social media. No matter how bad she does, she will come off better than Trump to most sane people.

You guys are making too big a deal out of the 60 Minutes interview. She wasn’t great and she generally comes off as deflecting but it wasn’t bad enough to do any sort of damage. She simply needs to get herself out there again and she comes off fine in the clips doing the rounds on social media. No matter how bad she does, she will come off better than Trump to most sane people.

I agree with this. The idea for Harris is to get into the media space more often, which the 60 minutes, the View, and Call her Daddy appearances have successfully done. All at a time when Trump is too scared to do his own interviews outside the MAGA ecosystem.

Where is that info coming from?

Looked here and the returns are around even...
https://countyballotfiles.floridados.gov/VoteByMailEarlyVotingReports/PublicStats

Voting Trend, if you have heard of the site, had a video covering this yesterday, said that VBM for dems at his point in 2020 had a significantly higher turnout rate than now.

Now, it could be Covid, and other things to explain some of it, of course, so it doesn't have to be bad news, just that it didn't look promising right now.

First rating change i don't get at all, there is nothing to suggest it, except like one sub-optimal internal.

it's off a WSJ article saying Baldwin internals had Harris down by 3 there.

Which, of course, depends on whether you think it's legit panic or just a fundraising ploy, like Slotkin did the other day, or the Harris campaign itself had done throughout.

Voting Trend, if you have heard of the site, had a video covering this yesterday, said that VBM for dems at his point in 2020 had a significantly higher turnout rate than now.

Now, it could be Covid, and other things to explain some of it, of course, so it doesn't have to be bad news, just that it didn't look promising right now.
2020 also had the Covid pandemic that made people want to use the mail instead of in-person voting machines.

It's the double standards conundrum on full display. Harris is embarking on a media and interview blitz this week. People will be getting plenty of her opinions soon.

Dems - This is the most important election of all time. You must vote to stop the fascist republicans destroying democracy.

Also dems - It very important we work with republicans and that they have power in the White House.

Dems - This is the most important election all time. You must vote to stop the fascist republicans destroying democracy.

Also dems - It very important we work with republicans and they have power in the White House.
Those 2 things can co exist. She's following a thread from the convention even. It clearly wont be one of the MAGA cult member GOP. Probably one that MAGA ostracized for impeaching Trump and trying to be the lone voices of sanity in the party. Adam Kinzinger is probably top of the list since he spoke at the convention as well and been against trump nearly the entire time.

I agree with this. The idea for Harris is to get into the media space more often, which the 60 minutes, the View, and Call her Daddy appearances have successfully done. All at a time when Trump is too scared to do his own interviews outside the MAGA ecosystem.

I'm not sure. Making a misstep is sometimes worse than making no steps at all. 60 mins wasn't terrible, but her answers were not clear or direct enough. Nor would Trumps be, but they are judged on a different curve.

I think Trump will try and cruise until Nov 5. Only safe space interviews, rallies and attack ad's. His team knows he is incapable of facing real questions for fear of him being fact checked. He will be hoping that the Hurricane will be devastating, the response slow and the clean up prolonged.

Kamala will media blitz for the next few weeks. One week isnt enough.

Dems - This is the most important election of all time. You must vote to stop the fascist republicans destroying democracy.

Also dems - It very important we work with republicans and that they have power in the White House.

The Dems are not trying to tar all Republicans with the same brush there.

It will be Adam Kinzinger and Liz Cheney up for cabinet positions. Not Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert.

Those 2 things can co exist. She's following a thread from the convention even. It clearly wont be one of the MAGA cult member GOP. Probably one that MAGA ostracized for impeaching Trump and trying to be the lone voices of sanity in the party. Adam Kinzinger is probably top of the list since he spoke at the convention as well and been against trump nearly the entire time.
The Dems are not trying to tar all Republicans with the same brush there.

It will be Adam Kinzinger and Liz Cheney up for cabinet positions. Not Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert.
Isn’t he anti abortion ?

That would cost her a lot of votes, it would be seen as political opportunism

I think that FL will be a lot closer than people think, aboruon is on the ballot and that is generally a vote winner for Democrats, it'll not be enough but it might get them slightly worried

From Wiki: "Kinzinger was one of three Republicans to vote for H.R. 8297: Ensuring Access to Abortion Act of 2022."

That's probably about as pro-choice as you are going to get as a Republican.
Same wiki says he opposed the use of federal funds for abortion or health coverage that funds abortion.

From what I can see he also got a C rating from anti abortion group.
Why does she think the Hillary strategy to cater to Republicans is gonna work for her. It is even less likely to given she is a POC.
Apparently there is some polling showing Americans think Harris is too liberal. My guess is this her trying to turn that around. Although I tend to agree that it’s unlikely too work.

there was some talk that silicon valley ceos are turning red, this should get some of them back in line for Democracy.

Why does she think the Hillary strategy to cater to Republicans is gonna work for her. It is even less likely to given she is a POC.
In a race that will be tight and come down to battleground states again. And maybe even a few hundred thousand votes in specific areas. I don't think it is crazy to say there is room for any sane person who may have voted GOP previously. Giving those voters who are absolutely sick of MAGA and maybe trump in particular a way to get back to "working together". That was the theme republicans that spoke at the DNC.

I personally don't want her to pick Liz Cheney though for anything but that is just me. And as long as Dems get the best positions they are qualified I am not against a "sane GOP" cabinet member.

there was some talk that silicon valley ceos are turning red, this should get some of them back in line for Democracy.

Not surprising Cuban has this opinion, he has quite right-wing opinions on economics, even if he backs democrats most of the time.

I'd be disappointed if Harris gave them their wish, Khan should stay.

Last edited:
Not surprising Cuban has this opinion, he is quite right-wing opinions on economics, even if he backs democrats most of the time.

I'd be disappointed if Harris gave them their wish, Khan should stay.
Her brother in law is chief counsel for Uber, her niece used to be a Uber top brass as well, one of her best friend is a SF billionaire, her husband was an entertainment lawyer for years.

There's 0 chance her administration will be as pro labour as Biden's, it is a given that she will be much more 'business friendly'.

That would cost her a lot of votes, it would be seen as political opportunism

I think that FL will be a lot closer than people think, aboruon is on the ballot and that is generally a vote winner for Democrats, it'll not be enough but it might get them slightly worried

I mean, I know the Democrats are judged on a different curve than Trump, but come on. He has been lying about the Hurricane response from day 1. That is political opportunism.

Informing the public that there is only one party that cares or even believes in climate change, its causes and effects, does not seem too opportunistic to me.

Democrats want to talk about the issues. Republicans say, now is not the time and resort to thoughts and prayers.