2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Do you not go out to eat? Have you not noticed that the bills are now significantly more?

Insurance if up...

https://wallethub.com/edu/car-insurance-premiums-over-time/137005
https://themortgagereports.com/112679/states-surging-home-insurance-costs

I have 3 US homes (poor me), non are in areas impacted by major weather events. Prices have gone up significantly and im constantly having to shop around to get lower prices. Been doing that for the past 3 or 4 years.

Car insurance prices spiked because of increase in cost of parts due to COVID supply chain issue. As with anything, those prices have not and wont drop.
I can only go off what I see myself, I rarely eat out or go food shopping, prices have gone up there and I'm not saying they haven't

Regarding insurance, we have combined home and car insurance and our rates have not increased in any significant way since before or after the pandemic, must be the Jake effect!

I don't have a mortgage as our house is paid for, same with our cars, though I did have to get 4 new tires last week and they cost a bloody fortune!

I can only go off what I see myself, I rarely eat out or go food shopping, prices have gone up there and I'm not saying they haven't

Regarding insurance, we have combined home and car insurance and our rates have not increased in any significant way since before or after the pandemic, must be the Jake effect!

I don't have a mortgage as our house is paid for, same with our cars, though I did have to get 4 new tires last week and they cost a bloody fortune!

All fair.

I think this just goes to show that now, as in every economy, there are winners, losers and people somewhere in the middle.

The feeling from some across the last few pages of this thread seemed to be that the economy is great because of factor a, b or c, therefore anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

Trump is winning on "the economy" currently. So there has to be a lot of truth in the fact that people are finding it harder to afford life now, compared to 5 ot 6 years ago.

Harris to sit down with The View, Colbert and Howard Stern in media blitz

This media blitz a long with Waltz agreeing to be on Fox News is good for the final stretch.

I thought Walz kind of flubbed on Fox News. He has too many issues from his miss truths, which post any interview, are the things that may stick with a viewer.

Anyone hear if Walz was going to be on a podcast anytime soon?

Post the VP debate, CNN had reported that Walz was going to appear on a "pop culture podcast". Was hoping that he would go on Rogan.

Have you asked yourself why the markets are on the up?
There are many reasons. To go into detail would derail this thread.
In short I'll name just a few reasons, huge fiscal stimulus by the Biden administration, inflation, strong earnings, robust economy with 3% GDP growth

They must not be polling many of these college degree holders since Trump has made gains in nearly all of the 7 swing states this past week. We need more polls to come out this week to see if this is a trend or simply a lack of polling in recent days.

They must not be polling many of these college degree holders since Trump has made gains in nearly all of the 7 swing states this past week.
College degree holders are still only a little more than a third of eligible voters, if I remember right.

There are many reasons. To go into detail would derail this thread.
In short I'll name just a few reasons, huge fiscal stimulus by the Biden administration, inflation, strong earnings, robust economy with 3% GDP growth

All factors, but one that doesn't get talked about is the fact that more people are investing for retirement. It is estimated that around 40% of the money invested in the US stock market is from retirement funds.

Boomers were the first true “full” generation with access to a 401k when it launched in 1978. Boomers are starting to retire and typically they may withdrawal 4% to 5% per year, if they are thinking about a 20 year retirement.

You now have three generations below them investing in retirement and putting in way more than 4%. I put in $23k in order to receive my full company match, plus a bonus match my company gives. Many others do the same. For me, that is more than the 5% that boomers are taking out. For many to max out their 401k, they may need to put in 20% or more of their salary.

So for the first time ever we have four generations relying on the stock market for their retirement, with more people (and with a higher contribution percentage) than people taking “out” of the market.

A big factor as to why we are seeing year on year growth in the markets, regardless of the state of the economy at any given time.

Yes and hopefully they turn out to vote, which would help offset her numbers among blacks and hispanics compared to Biden's of 2020.

I have seen multiple reports on Trump's improvements with hispanic voters.

What is the reason for this?

It wasn't long ago he was labeling Mexicans as criminals and rapists.

Its largely due to him being the male candidate and the fact that Harris doesn't seem to animate hispanic voters, who by the way are a bigger swath of the electorate than blacks (19% v 12%). She's not doing particularly well among black males either, which suggests a gender is more of a drag on her numbers than race.

Gas yes, it is dropping. Is food dropping? Is insurance dropping?

My 401k is doing great. You may need a better broker!!!

I don't even think gas prices dropping means much because gas prices always drop in the fall. Gas is very seasonal and always goes up before summer and down in the fall.

I think food and insurance are great examples to the "economy is doing great" posters and i think we should add rent. Average rent has gone up and rent-to-income keeps rising so along with purchasing power continuing to decline, the average person simply doesnt "feel" this "great economy". Some of these other posters actually surprise me because I would have thought they realized that most of the benefits of this "great economy" really only benefit the top 1% or if we're being generous the top 10%. Even if we expand that to top 25% just for argument sake, i would think its self-evident that most people are simply not feeling this great economy in their day to day lives.

Its largely due to him being the male candidate and the fact that Harris doesn't seem to animate hispanic voters, who by the way are a bigger swath of the electorate than blacks (19% v 12%). She's not doing particularly well among black males either, which suggests a gender is more of a drag on her numbers than race.

Its more anecdotal from what i hear in day to day interactions but i'd say this is not accurate at all.

Its more the fact that 1) a lot of hispanic and black communities are very religious and 2) there is a perception that Trump will be better for the economy.

Whenever i hear both hispanic and black people talking about the election at bars, restaurants, supermarket occasionally it always comes down to something related to religion ("Dems think people can be 1483 genders" "i think abortion should be banned") or something related to the economy that reduces to something like prices not dropping even if inflation rate has dropped or rent rising while income stagnant and the belief that Trump, a businessman, would be better than Harris, a career politician.

I dont think this implied misogyny is a factor in vast majority of cases. People tend to not understand that a lot of immigrant hispanic and black communities are far more religious than college educated white people which have been breaking more for Dems in recent years.

Its more anecdotal from what i hear in day to day interactions but i'd say this is not accurate at all.

Its more the fact that 1) a lot of hispanic and black communities are very religious and 2) there is a perception that Trump will be better for the economy.

Whenever i hear both hispanic and black people talking about the election at bars, restaurants, supermarket occasionally it always comes down to something related to religion ("Dems think people can be 1483 genders" "i think abortion should be banned") or something related to the economy that reduces to something like prices not dropping even if inflation rate has dropped or rent rising while income stagnant and the belief that Trump, a businessman, would be better than Harris, a career politician.

I dont think this implied misogyny is a factor in vast majority of cases. People tend to not understand that a lot of immigrant hispanic and black communities are far more religious than college educated white people which have been breaking more for Dems in recent years.

Agreed on the traditional/religion factor for sure.

All factors, but one that doesn't get talked about is the fact that more people are investing for retirement. It is estimated that around 40% of the money invested in the US stock market is from retirement funds.

Boomers were the first true “full” generation with access to a 401k when it launched in 1978. Boomers are starting to retire and typically they may withdrawal 4% to 5% per year, if they are thinking about a 20 year retirement.

You now have three generations below them investing in retirement and putting in way more than 4%. I put in $23k in order to receive my full company match, plus a bonus match my company gives. Many others do the same. For me, that is more than the 5% that boomers are taking out. For many to max out their 401k, they may need to put in 20% or more of their salary.

So for the first time ever we have four generations relying on the stock market for their retirement, with more people (and with a higher contribution percentage) than people taking “out” of the market.

A big factor as to why we are seeing year on year growth in the markets, regardless of the state of the economy at any given time.
This is fair as well, I personally have been putting 18% in mine for years

TBH the stock market doesn't bear any relation to how the economy (or even a company) is doing, it's basically a bunch of people gambling, just recently NVIDIA announced record profits which were much better than the narkets forecasted and their share price went down!

Im not Hispanic, nor do i pretend to know the communities. But is there more of an "old fashioned" gender bias there?

This is fair as well, I personally have been putting 18% in mine for years

TBH the stock market doesn't bear any relation to how the economy (or even a company) is doing, it's basically a bunch of people gambling, just recently NVIDIA announced record profits which were much better than the narkets forecasted and their share price went down!

I have a fair amount of exposure to NVIDIA - shoutout to the VanEck Semiconductor ETF, (SMH).

NVIDIA stock dropped because of perceived slowing growth, despite the good recent results. Investors are projecting the future.

As minor ethnicities integrate into the broader society, their voting pattern begins to align with that of the broader population. We've seen that before with Latinos in Texas for instance.

That being said, I'm skeptical of broader change in the electorate. 2020 Hispanic result overall was 59-38, on average Harris is doing about 3 or 4 points worse than that (56-57 to 39-40) according to most polling, so while not ideal it's hardly significant enough to swing the election on its own. Another point to note is that her bleeding is almost entirely with men (while gaining with women) and men are on average a smaller share of the electorate than women, and also vote at a lower rate.

I don't even think gas prices dropping means much because gas prices always drop in the fall. Gas is very seasonal and always goes up before summer and down in the fall.

I think food and insurance are great examples to the "economy is doing great" posters and i think we should add rent. Average rent has gone up and rent-to-income keeps rising so along with purchasing power continuing to decline, the average person simply doesnt "feel" this "great economy". Some of these other posters actually surprise me because I would have thought they realized that most of the benefits of this "great economy" really only benefit the top 1% or if we're being generous the top 10%. Even if we expand that to top 25% just for argument sake, i would think its self-evident that most people are simply not feeling this great economy in their day to day lives.

Totally agree. I mentioned rent earlier. People are getting crippled by it. Landlords either just want to cover their own expense, like insurance, or just want to make a little more as they see rents rising across the board.

Many people may not feel the benefits of the US's post COVID economic recovery for years.

If Trump wins, a month in, with a few executive orders signed to expand drilling, he will be touting this as the greatest economy of all time. It will be interesting what happens then when people are still finding life expensive.

With the usual caveats that early voting data isn't really predictive (especially in a large state like PA, NV is different due to a small electorate + the size of Clark Co. relative to the rest of the state), but some of you worrywarts may follow this guy if you want, he knows his onions about PA better than most of ET.

Im not Hispanic, nor do i pretend to know the communities. But is there more of an "old fashioned" gender bias there?
In a broader way of looking at things. Like any group there can be differing single issues that people target. But by and large the main reason the GOP cannot get or doesn't get much more of a percentage of minority vote is they openly cater to the most racist parts of their base. They don't even pretend to try and reach out by sending the worst of their racist base to the margins of society. We just saw that with the insanely racist lies about haitians.

That said minority groups also have Anti LGBT factions, or very religious black and hispanic communities that can be reached with certain messaging there. But the larger share will never be able to swallow open racism and go stand at a MAGA rally with people you know are racist as hell.

So these polls showing maybe a small swing that previous elections with Black and hispanic men maybe. While logically yes they are voting against their own interests for the most part in a party that is openly racist. Sure they will use these people if allowed. See look at our "black". How can we be racist? While gerrymandering black and brown communities and advancing judges that will back all of this up for generations.

Everyone hates taxes. Everyone doesn't want to see their money being spent on a lot of things. There is messaging that can reach these voters like the Dems are the reason that your taxes are what they are and they just take the taxes you pay and send to Ukraine while you work 2 jobs. Or pit minorities against each other in migrant messaging by making them "others" or infiltrators. Some of that messaging does work which can be part of the small shifts of voters in general from minority groups.

And we also cant forget the old "both parties just the same why vote" pool.

I have a fair amount of exposure to NVIDIA - shoutout to the VanEck Semiconductor ETF, (SMH).

NVIDIA stock dropped because of perceived slowing growth, despite the good recent results. Investors are projecting the future.
Which was known before the results - there's bascially no logic to the stock market if you ask me!

I doubt anyone is going to change their mind and suddenly decide to vote for Harris this late in the game.
Does that imply you don't expect polling gains for Harris in the next weeks?

In a broader way of looking at things. Like any group there can be differing single issues that people target. But by and large the main reason the GOP cannot get or doesn't get much more of a percentage of minority vote is they openly cater to the most racist parts of their base. They don't even pretend to try and reach out by sending the worst of their racist base to the margins of society. We just saw that with the insanely racist lies about haitians.

That said minority groups also have Anti LGBT factions, or very religious black and hispanic communities that can be reached with certain messaging there. But the larger share will never be able to swallow open racism and go stand at a MAGA rally with people you know are racist as hell.

So these polls showing maybe a small swing that previous elections with Black and hispanic men maybe. While logically yes they are voting against their own interests for the most part in a party that is openly racist. Sure they will use these people if allowed. See look at our "black". How can we be racist? While gerrymandering black and brown communities and advancing judges that will back all of this up for generations.

Everyone hates taxes. Everyone doesn't want to see their money being spent on a lot of things. There is messaging that can reach these voters like the Dems are the reason that your taxes are what they are and they just take the taxes you pay and send to Ukraine while you work 2 jobs. Or pit minorities against each other in migrant messaging by making them "others" or infiltrators. Some of that messaging does work which can be part of the small shifts of voters in general from minority groups.

And we also cant forget the old "both parties just the same why vote" pool.

Really interesting post. It feels like as Hispanics become more assimilated in the country (which many obviously are given many are 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation), as a voting block, they will return the the mean, like the rest of the country.

It would seem like it is only the black population that havent. Maybe that is because of the city v rural split?

I read that...

"An Axios/Ipsos poll released in April found that 42% of Hispanic adults now favor building a wall along the southern border, a 12-point increase from a poll taken in 2021. In addition, 38% now favor sending all undocumented immigrants in the U.S. back to their country of origin, which represents a 10-point increase in that same time. These findings mirror the shift in the overall population in recent years. "
https://www.ncregister.com/news/hispanic-voters-gop-drift-2024-4nadu8st

I have heard people from the hispanic community say words to the effect of "we came here legally, so others should to". Perhaps forgetting some of the sh1t consitions that people are leaving.

I certainly can see how the Trump campaign advertising would scare off Hispanics, or in fact any person who is a "low propensity voters". Turn on the TV during football and its all "Kamala is funding sex changes for prisoners".

Trump suggests immigrants have 'bad genes' in latest disparagement of migrants
In an interview on “The Hugh Hewitt Show” that aired Monday morning, former President Donald Trump criticized Vice President Kamala Harris for her policies on the southern border and suggested that migrants have “bad genes.”

“When you look at the things that she proposes, they’re so far off she has no clue. How about allowing people to come to an open border, 13,000 of which were murderers,” he said, referring to the vice president’s immigration proposals.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...enes-latest-disparagement-migrants-rcna174271

Does that imply you don't expect polling gains for Harris in the next weeks?
Polling at this point has historically been pretty comparable to the final polling done just before ED, it's a turnout game now as early voting begins.

It's also made more complicated by the deluge of bad faith right wing polls flooding the zone, my prediction is you will get another round of high quality pollsters, maybe two (I know NYT/Siena was on the field for Florida like a week back, so we can expect that one soon), and a feck ton of Rasmussen, Insider Advantage, Patriot Polling, Trafalgar etc

Last edited:
Really interesting post. It feels like as Hispanics become more assimilated in the country (which many obviously are given many are 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation), as a voting block, they will return the the mean, like the rest of the country.

It would seem like it is only the black population that havent. Maybe that is because of the city v rural split?

I read that...

"An Axios/Ipsos poll released in April found that 42% of Hispanic adults now favor building a wall along the southern border, a 12-point increase from a poll taken in 2021. In addition, 38% now favor sending all undocumented immigrants in the U.S. back to their country of origin, which represents a 10-point increase in that same time. These findings mirror the shift in the overall population in recent years. "
https://www.ncregister.com/news/hispanic-voters-gop-drift-2024-4nadu8st

I have heard people from the hispanic community say words to the effect of "we came here legally, so others should to". Perhaps forgetting some of the sh1t consitions that people are leaving.

I certainly can see how the Trump campaign advertising would scare off Hispanics, or in fact any person who is a "low propensity voters". Turn on the TV during football and its all "Kamala is funding sex changes for prisoners".

Sometimes the cycles with immigrants not wanting immigrants are very short

Sorry for the source...

Kind of explain Manchin quitting, only shot he had is switching party if he were to seek re-election.

It's still kinda sad how low WV has fallen though, the state that broke away from Virginia to stand with the Union is now the 21st century version of 1860 South Carolina.