2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Harris to sit down with The View, Colbert and Howard Stern in media blitz

Vice President Harris will spend the week hitting the airwaves with a series of major media interviews before heading to the west coast as early voting gets underway.

A senior campaign official said Harris will sit for interviews in the coming days with radio host Howard Stern, late night host Stephen Colbert on “The Late Show,” and the hosts of “The View.”
Those appearances are in addition to a previously announced sit-down with “60 Minutes,” which will air Monday, and an appearance on the popular “Call Her Daddy” podcast that will be released Sunday.

Harris’s media blitz comes as her campaign has thus far used targeted interviews to reach certain audiences. The vice president has sat for interviews with local outlets in battleground states, and she has done radio interviews and podcasts.
This media blitz a long with Waltz agreeing to be on Fox News is good for the final stretch.

How else does the leader of a completely irrelevant US political party, supposedly focused on environmental issue, end up dining with Putin?

russia_dinner2000.jpg

Once day, all the information about Russia's influence over the 2016 campaign, and Trump, will come out.
I recently found out too that Putin gave a speech and danced with Austria's former foreign minister (yes, really) some years ago - a wedding that was attended by many of the conservatives that have now come to power in Austria. It really is wild how far his tentacles reach. I'm convinced that a lot of the money building all the new towers in Miami are heavily tied up with Russian finances as well. Does that make me a conspiracy theorist? Maybe. But it feels like you have to be blind to not see how many plumes of smoke there are to not assume there is fire.

It’s all about the plumes of smoke and tentacles.
Not sure if you're being serious but official meetings of heads of state are quite different from what I described. Now if you can find me pictures of Trump's private meeting with Putin or the likes of senators Thune and Johnson making a 4th of July trip to Russia...

Full episode airs tonight

The reporter deserves credit for asking the question and insisting on it.

Biden let Netanyahu do whatever he wants. That’s obvious, and she knows it (but can’t say it publicly).

The reporter deserves credit for asking the question and insisting on it.

Biden let Netanyahu do whatever he wants. That’s obvious, and she knows it (but can’t say it publicly).

Yes, it’s an uncomfortable interview on multiple levels. She is clearly nervous and saying things she herself probably doesn’t agree with.

Can't wait to see how Trump deals with a tough interview....oh.

Ah well, we should only have standards on one side these days.

You thought that was a tough interview? He asked a couple of questions and then let Harris say the usual PR things about helping Israel defend itself and not stopping efforts on diplomacy.

Yes, it’s an uncomfortable interview on multiple levels. She is clearly nervous and saying things she herself probably doesn’t agree with.
It’s always tough when you’re the incumbent vice president running for the job. It’s hard to separate yourself from the president. The test would be: what she would do if she wins?

What is C for other candidates is A for Trump. What is F for others is B- at least for Trump. This has been the case for a decade now.

A lot of Americans base their opinion on the economy by what the price of gas is and how much their 401K is worth as well as the cost of food.

Unfor,tunately the gas and foo d prices are higher now than they were under Trump even though both are now falling, (and are mostly bugger all to do with whomever is in chage)401K's took a big hit during the pandemic, I know mine did and it hasn't fully recovered although it's getting there

Gas yes, it is dropping. Is food dropping? Is insurance dropping?

My 401k is doing great. You may need a better broker!!!

Why? Because Fox News tells them the economy is bad, all day every day, and they don’t look anywhere else for news.

Agree. Fox News is poison.

But to suggest that people are not struggling because of higher food, rent, insurance etc, and they are just being hoodwinked by Fox News and Trump. That is completely narrow minded to suggest that.

It takes a special kind of lowlife to intentionally lie and spread widespread disinformation like this in a crisis. We were without power etc. for days earlier in the Hurricane season. You try to find any information you can on
relief efforts, how neighbors etc. are filing for the assistance available. You want to know what worked in applications and what things got other people rejections until they corrected themselves etc.

You dont also want to wade through disinformation and lies about there not being any help for you, dont trust this agency or that agency cause trump said so. And he's doing it to his own voters.

Wants to be President again and once again he proves he doesnt give a damn about these people. Everything is about him. Can't even be truthful or helpful in a national crisis. Just like his Covid responses lie lie lie.

FEMA had to put up a rumor page to debunk the nonsense conspiracies. Buttigieg had to take time out of his job to take a call from Elon Musk because he is lying all over the place on behalf of trump. All these GOP governors, mayors even people that hate Biden and spent more time authoring book bans and posting Dark Brandon fiction are saying the conspiracies are stupid and distracting and they appreciate the response.

Indeed..im well back from before the pandemic and then some. Averaging about 18% atm but im also pretty aggressive picking my funds.

As good as our 401k's are, you cant access that money. So it wont help day to day. And not everyone has a 401k. And if the do, they may not be getting employer matches.

Of course the stock market isn't the only indicator. GDP growth is by far the strongest amongst the G7 countries. Inflation is down again, oil prices are down as well. Unemployment is low and the labor market is strong.

Yes. Inflation is now 2.5%. But the damage has been done by the last few years. Prices have not dropped because they very rarely do.

Agree. Fox News is poison.

But to suggest that people are not struggling because of higher food, rent, insurance etc, and they are just being hoodwinked by Fox News and Trump. That is completely narrow minded to suggest that.
You mistake my meaning. The people who watch Fox News are not made aware that Biden doesn’t control the price of gas worldwide, they don’t know that the rest of the G8 are also experiencing inflation, they don’t understand the basics of economics and so it’s easy to lie to them.

As good as our 401k's are, you cant access that money. So it wont help day to day. And not everyone has a 401k. And if the do, they may not be getting employer matches.
Fair. Though a lot of people make tremendously poor financial decisions when they know inflation is high. Some of it I het is the YOLO approach coming out of Covid but I've seen way too many people not having restraint. Even people who make top 5% wages.

The inflation rate, when everything is included, from goods to services, is 2.5%. You can’t pick certain items and base your analysis on that, certainly not by looking at Bankrate.

I can also talk about the fall in auto prices this past year:
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.ht

But that wouldn’t be serious. .

The cumulative inflation rate of
August 2024/December 2019 is roughly 23%, in almost FIVE years. Yes, that’s higher than usual, but it’s not 26% a year, or even a third of that.

Yes, inflation is 2.5% now.

But as you say - 23% in 4.5 years. 5.1% a year. That is significant.

Of course you can pick certain items. Especially when they are the bare essentials for the majority of people.

Im not talking about inflation from "luxuries" like clothes, flights, vacations and cars. So not sure why you want to bring up car prices, as new cars are luxuries for most.

Im talking food, rent, insurance. All considerably higher than 5 years ago. People are seeing that and voting accordingly.

You mistake my meaning. The people who watch Fox News are not made aware that Biden doesn’t control the price of gas worldwide, they don’t know that the rest of the G8 are also experiencing inflation, they don’t understand the basics of economics and so it’s easy to lie to them.

Of course they dont. But that is a different discussion all together.

My point is that many people have less money in their pockets today than they did 5 years ago. That is not feel - it is real.
Many on this thread seem to think that is untrue and they are being hoodwinked into thinking they are poorer.

The cause as to why, is a completely different discussion. I agree, the majority of people are financially and economically illiterate and are not able to consider the context of the US, and the rest of the world, having to recover from a once in a lifetime pandemic.

I recently found out too that Putin gave a speech and danced with Austria's former foreign minister (yes, really) some years ago - a wedding that was attended by many of the conservatives that have now come to power in Austria. It really is wild how far his tentacles reach. I'm convinced that a lot of the money building all the new towers in Miami are heavily tied up with Russian finances as well. Does that make me a conspiracy theorist? Maybe. But it feels like you have to be blind to not see how many plumes of smoke there are to not assume there is fire.

Agree. He is involved, or trying to be involved, in everyone's business.

So she’s going after the exact target market that they’re talking about but she’s got big problems?

She should do interviews with the media. As should Trump of course, but we all know that's unlikely. In her case, she seems to think going on Howard Stern and Call her Daddy are equally as important as doing her 60 minutes interview - and in many ways they are given the recent proliferation in podcast viewership.

Gas yes, it is dropping. Is food dropping? Is insurance dropping?

My 401k is doing great. You may need a better broker!!!
re: food my missus does the shopping and constantly moans so probably not, insurance is interesting because ours hasn't really gone up in years, my 401K is done thru work, it's doing fine but only just really made up the losses from the pandemic

If Biden wants to do something useful for his remaining month(s), he should call Mike Johnson and the GOP-house out, for not getting back to Washington and to deal with disaster relief immediately.

It takes a special kind of lowlife to intentionally lie and spread widespread disinformation like this in a crisis. We were without power etc. for days earlier in the Hurricane season. You try to find any information you can on
relief efforts, how neighbors etc. are filing for the assistance available. You want to know what worked in applications and what things got other people rejections until they corrected themselves etc.

You dont also want to wade through disinformation and lies about there not being any help for you, dont trust this agency or that agency cause trump said so. And he's doing it to his own voters.

Wants to be President again and once again he proves he doesnt give a damn about these people. Everything is about him. Can't even be truthful or helpful in a national crisis. Just like his Covid responses lie lie lie.

FEMA had to put up a rumor page to debunk the nonsense conspiracies. Buttigieg had to take time out of his job to take a call from Elon Musk because he is lying all over the place on behalf of trump. All these GOP governors, mayors even people that hate Biden and spent more time authoring book bans and posting Dark Brandon fiction are saying the conspiracies are stupid and distracting and they appreciate the response.
The fact is that they'll keep doing immoral things like this if the incentive structure is built to support it. At the moment, his actions are likely to help not hurt him, soo why wouldn't he?

Voters have to punish these people unless we want to have a society built this way.

Yes, inflation is 2.5% now.

But as you say - 23% in 4.5 years. 5.1% a year. That is significant.

Of course you can pick certain items. Especially when they are the bare essentials for the majority of people.

Im not talking about inflation from "luxuries" like clothes, flights, vacations and cars. So not sure why you want to bring up car prices, as new cars are luxuries for most.

Im talking food, rent, insurance. All considerably higher than 5 years ago. People are seeing that and voting accordingly.
Again then it's the democrats task to inform the voters who is responsible for the inflation in the first place. When Biden took over in 2021 the damage (e.g. poor response to the pandemic, idiotic give aways to keep the population calm) was already done.
Inflation doesn't just come out of nowhere and it also doesn't just disappear. It long process.
I presumed most Americans will know, if the indeed don't it paints a bleak picture of the average American and the Dems need to educate them.
I'm aware the MAGA dickheads won't listen but the independents who will decide the election might.

Alrighty, less than a month now. I think the Harris campaign has overall done a pretty amazing job all considering - her favourability has jumped something like 18 points since the announcement. She's now doing the interviews, working hard, is all over the place in swing states. Whatever you think about her quality, in my opinion her campaign advisors have done as good a job as they could in very strange circumstances.

And so the election will come down to one thing: how motivated are the current fence-sitters to come out and vote for Harris? Or, I guess, how do we 'activate' them. Trump has been - I think objectively - the least disciplined, worst-messaged, meanest, viliest, most deplorable excuse for a Presidential candidate in history. I'm not sure what else he could have said that would be worse. At every stage when he could have shown some modicrum of resembling human compassion, he showed no, he is full broken, sad, bitter old man. And yet, he'll get similar votes to 2016, at worst. He has been caught - multiple times - trying to steal the election, and it's barely news anymore. One of those who tried just got sentenced to 9 years in jail and it hardly made headlines. And it's certainly not deterring the ones in Georgia and Arizona trying again.

And so I get a bit stuck. Because you can't really run a country when 70m support the actions that Trump does. I'm so close to wishing 4 years of this Trump just so those people can see how bad it actually can be, and hopefully then decide to make politics boring again. Because if Harris scrapes a win - and that's the only way she wins it - will these idiots learn anything at all? Or will they just be proudly cheering on the Vance/MTG ticket based on destroying space lasers in 4 years?

In Georgia.

Friendly reminder that resist Libs hero Brian Kemp is totally cool with all of this, never took any action against the State Board of Election MAGA/J6 truthers members.

Alrighty, less than a month now. I think the Harris campaign has overall done a pretty amazing job all considering - her favourability has jumped something like 18 points since the announcement. She's now doing the interviews, working hard, is all over the place in swing states. Whatever you think about her quality, in my opinion her campaign advisors have done as good a job as they could in very strange circumstances.

And so the election will come down to one thing: how motivated are the current fence-sitters to come out and vote for Harris? Or, I guess, how do we 'activate' them. Trump has been - I think objectively - the least disciplined, worst-messaged, meanest, viliest, most deplorable excuse for a Presidential candidate in history. I'm not sure what else he could have said that would be worse. At every stage when he could have shown some modicrum of resembling human compassion, he showed no, he is full broken, sad, bitter old man. And yet, he'll get similar votes to 2016, at worst. He has been caught - multiple times - trying to steal the election, and it's barely news anymore. One of those who tried just got sentenced to 9 years in jail and it hardly made headlines. And it's certainly not deterring the ones in Georgia and Arizona trying again.

And so I get a bit stuck. Because you can't really run a country when 70m support the actions that Trump does. I'm so close to wishing 4 years of this Trump just so those people can see how bad it actually can be, and hopefully then decide to make politics boring again. Because if Harris scrapes a win - and that's the only way she wins it - will these idiots learn anything at all? Or will they just be proudly cheering on the Vance/MTG ticket based on destroying space lasers in 4 years?

Would the people who support Trump no matter what not find someone else to blame if things go to shit?

I mean look at the UK, the tories were in power for 14 years, yet when their supporters spoke about issues with the country they found anyone else to blame but the fecking government who ran the damn country for more than a decade. I imagine it would be the same with the Trump supporters. These right wing types are a brainrotted hivemind.

If that's the case Biden cant claim credit for good economy. You cant have it both ways.

Although i personally believe that neither D or R president have much control over global prices beyond a push here and there. I dont even think they have power over the Feds regarding interest rates.

No it hasn't, , if it had the DOW would be over 50K instead of the current 39K or so
At the pandemic lows the DOW was at 21,900. Not far from 100%.
Anyway it's way higher now than pre-pandemic. You must have sold at the lows and came back at the peak of the rallye after the crash to be still in the losses

re: food my missus does the shopping and constantly moans so probably not, insurance is interesting because ours hasn't really gone up in years, my 401K is done thru work, it's doing fine but only just really made up the losses from the pandemic

Do you not go out to eat? Have you not noticed that the bills are now significantly more?

Insurance if up...

https://wallethub.com/edu/car-insurance-premiums-over-time/137005
https://themortgagereports.com/112679/states-surging-home-insurance-costs

I have 3 US homes (poor me), non are in areas impacted by major weather events. Prices have gone up significantly and im constantly having to shop around to get lower prices. Been doing that for the past 3 or 4 years.

Car insurance prices spiked because of increase in cost of parts due to COVID supply chain issue. As with anything, those prices have not and wont drop.

Again then it's the democrats task to inform the voters who is responsible for the inflation in the first place. When Biden took over in 2021 the damage (e.g. poor response to the pandemic, idiotic give aways to keep the population calm) was already done.
Inflation doesn't just come out of nowhere and it also doesn't just disappear. It long process.
I presumed most Americans will know, if the indeed don't it paints a bleak picture of the average American and the Dems need to educate them.
I'm aware the MAGA dickheads won't listen but the independents who will decide the election might.

Agree with this. The messaging is not always the best. It is a difficult balancing act because people are seeing price increases with their own eyes, so a politician coming in and saying "the economy is great" won't always go down well.

But that is a different argument than you were making previously. You were saying that because inflation is now 2.5% then everything is awesome.

My point was, not everyone is feeling the benefits of this great economy and they may be the ones that swing the election.