2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Movement I would say not really, at least to my knowledge. Discussion in the media, I'd say the only time I think it was seriously discussed was with Ross Perot's candidacy in 1992 and even then it was focused on Perot the individual and not on any systemic change to the two party system. The major thing is usually it gets brought up in the context of a (single) third party which is then dismissed as being unviable because a (single) third party would simply help the other opposing side. Changing the US Congress system to something more like a Parliamentary system where getting something like 2% of votes guarantees representation in the national congress has never really been discussed outside of college classrooms. Both parties have too much money and power and self-interest now and things are too tribal for me to see it happening anytime soon, if ever. I think the 1990s would have been the time for such a thing as now things are two divided along two tribal lines.

Personally, I think those types of multi-party systems make a lot more sense and function better but too many people in the US are tied to an almost religious worship of a 200+ year-old document that people truly believe is perfect and could never be improved upon by us modern day thinkers.

Perot's popularity presented a bonafide future threat to the two-party system, so much they changed the rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_party_(U.S._politics)#Debate_rules
17. https://archive.is/20130415130501/http://www.opendebates.org/theissue/1996.html

2000 GE and debates https://archive.is/lOfPw

https://www.wiley.law/newsletter-Fe...ate-Regulation-15-Polling-Threshold-is-Lawful
Federal Appeals Court Upholds FEC Debate Regulation: 15% Polling Threshold is Lawful

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/do-the-debates-unfairly-shut-out-third-parties/
Do the debates unfairly shut out third parties?

Semi-permanent majority in the senate for GOP is very much a possibility after next year, dems will have few if any seats to pick up in 26 and 28 to make up for probably losing the senate next year.
No it isn't.

It may be just be semantics, but the use of the words permanent and forever is wildly inappropriate when you're just talking about 'Senate pickup opportunities in the next few years.'

So...do the Republicans really not have a proper alternative to Trump? Is DeSantis failing so bad that Trump will be the Republican nominee once again?

So...do the Republicans really not have a proper alternative to Trump? Is DeSantis failing so bad that Trump will be the Republican nominee once again?

I think the best for the Democrats is Trump to be the republican candidate again.

Democrats can lose the election only if they don't go to vote, and Trump will make them get out and vote.

I think the best for the Democrats is Trump to be the republican candidate again.

Democrats can lose the election only if they don't go to vote, and Trump will make them get out and vote.
This is my reading too. Only concern is Biden's health, desperately wish Newson or Pete or Whitmer or anyone would step up.

This is my reading too. Only concern is Biden's health, desperately wish Newson or Pete or Whitmer or anyone would step up.

Newsom may lose vs Trump. Let's hope that Biden will be healthy for another year and a half (at least that, hopefully much longer!).

Rhonda falling behind Vivek now? I know that DeSantis is shite, but come on!

For the record, Vivek just shat on Taiwan with a stupid comment on the other day.
That would work for him in a primary contest, Taiwan = China as far as MAGArat's go, they're too dumb to know the difference

How Desantis, with all the institutional GOP support, sucks so hard

He has the charisma of dog shit, the hygiene of a teenage boy, the political instincts of a watermelon, and the politics of a nazi. Otherwise he's aces.

He has the charisma of dog shit, the hygiene of a teenage boy, the political instincts of a watermelon, and the politics of a nazi. Otherwise he's aces.
You missed out that he's also a Richard head

So does Trump

So does Trump
Do not agree. Trump's Charisma may be swallowed by a certain population, but to those people he is a god. Ron's own wife appears to barely like him. Trump also has some political instinct. It's highly specific to finding ways to attack others that resonates with his base, but he is damn good at it.

So does Trump

True. But somehow Trump gained a core of supporters that really believe he is the Messiah.

This doesn't mean that anyone who copies Trump will automatically become the Messiah's Prophet. DeSantis thought it is easy, but copycats are usually not successful, especially in politics.

He tries too hard to outtrump Trump, which makes him look like a moron.
And people are also starting to notice the reality of what his policies would mean, Florida is a basket case these days with his anti-woke crap

He has been the epitome of a wet fart, making him unable to compete with the giant turd in the battle for the coprophagic portion of the electorate.

He has been the epitome of a wet fart, making him unable to compete with the giant turd in the battle for the coprophagic portion of the electorate.
I had to look that up, simpler to say shit eaters :D

If Biden didn't run, who do you think is the best candidate?

Newsom would have been my pick a few months ago, but I have to say that Gretchen Whitmer is the kind of seasoned warrior we need for this battle whether that's in 2024 or 2028.

I don't get why Defending Trump would be the way to go. I mean sure they all need those MAGA supporters. The only way that works is if you are betting on trump having to bow out himself? If you don't attack the leader of the pack or argue why you should get support over him what is the point?