2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

By the way, a third ("independent") candidate in the US is completely meaningless. It has always been meaningless because of the voting system. In Greece and in other European countries, if your Party gets 3% or some other minimum, they will have some representation in the Parliament, which means that their voice will be heard, which means that even a Party of 3% makes (some) sense. In US, the 3% Party gets nothing, practically it dissolves after the elections, so it's completely meaningless. On the other hand, the US system is not that bad, because the individual Senators and Representatives have a lot of freedom in the US to say and do whatever they want. So the goal should be to elect better representatives, not to create a third party.

By the way, a third ("independent") candidate in the US is completely meaningless. It has always been meaningless because of the voting system. In Greece and in other European countries, if your Party gets 3% or some other minimum, they will have some representation in the Parliament, which means that their voice will be heard, which means that even a Party of 3% makes (some) sense. In US, the 3% Party gets nothing, practically it dissolves after the elections, so it's completely meaningless. On the other hand, the US system is not that bad, because the individual Senators and Representatives have a lot of freedom in the US to say and do whatever they want. So the goal should be to elect better representatives, not to create a third party.
To get better candidates is pretty much impossible because of how candidates get selected, term limits would help

Here in Denmark, any party that gets more than 2 percent of the vote gets seats in Parliament. Then whatever parties that can make up more than 50 percent can form the government. It also means we currently have 12 parties, with 3 of them being in power.

It’s a pretty good system if you ask me and makes it much easier for people to vote for someone they agree with on most issues.

Having just two parties for any country, nevermind one with 350 million people, is idiotic.

Here in Denmark, any party that gets more than 2 percent of the vote gets seats in Parliament. Then whatever parties that can make up more than 50 percent can form the government. It also means we currently have 12 parties, with 3 of them being in power.

It’s a pretty good system if you ask me and makes it much easier for people to vote for someone they agree with on most issues.

Having just two parties for any country, nevermind one with 350 million people, is idiotic.

Yeah, agree. If I were to adjust it slightly I’d raise the lower limit a bit for who gets in the debates and who gets into parliament. After the proliferation on the number of parties on both extremes, there is simply too many parties represented in the debates.

Well, you opened a can of worms with Trump. You went so bat shite crazy that a very large portion of your base likes extremism, but it's not enough to win. Not being extreme loses their support.

And it's not like this guy has an issue with the fascist rhetoric, he just doesn't think it'll win.

Similar in Norway and most of the rest of Europe I believe. Our threshold is 4%, but that's not a threshold to get into parliament, but rather to be eligible for the "equalization" mandates. Those exist to make up for the difference in total national share of the vote and share of seats won in each county. Most of the counties elect less than 10 representatives, which means that if a party gets, for example, 8% of the vote in every country, they would normally end up with way less than 8% of the total representatives. They would get a larger share of the extra mandates to make up the difference.

It actually makes for an extra layer of excitement in national elections, since there will usually be 2+ parties that hover around the 4% threshold. Last election various parties ended up at 4.7%, 4.6%, 3.9% and 3.8%, with the two former getting 8 representatives each and the latter getting 3 (it could easily have been just 2 or 1, and it has been in the past).

It's so silly isn't it, how can one of the most diverse populations in the world with 350M people be reduced to 2 parties?

Portugal has about 11M and we have 9 parties in parliament, from trumpian proto-fascists to old school leninist communists.

Reading about the Pence rally yesterday and seeing these MAGA protestors there calling him a traitor is weirdly funny. And he knows he NEEDS these people for whatever the hell it is he thinks he is doing running.

At the town hall, Pence tried to court the protesters.
“I know the people in this movement, whether they support me or not, are the best people in this country,” he said as he pointed to the protesters in the corner of the room.
On Friday night, one town hall participant, Mary Bartel of Windham, asked Pence why he didn't go along with that plan. Pence explained, as he has previously to other skeptical voters, that he did not have the authority to overturn the election.
He also told her to write down and look up “Article Two, Section One, Clause Three” of the Constitution.
Why didn't you just go along with it?! Geez, these people. They are insane and he has to try to court them for votes and money.

In a way, the repeal of Roe v Wade is a pyrrhic victory for the Republicans, because abortion on the ballot has always gone against them even in solid red states

In a way, the repeal of Roe v Wade is a pyrrhic victory for the Republicans, because abortion on the ballot has always gone against them even in solid red states
It’s also the proverbial dog finally catching the truck. The right could always motivate their base through always fighting to get Roe overturned, but they never had anything close to a unified message & action plan once they achieved that lofty goal.

Each repub led state seems to want to outdo its neighbors by mandating such draconian measures that will continue to embolden the left in virtual perpetuity & keep winning in states / locales where they shouldn’t stand a chance.

And to think some in here that thought the abortion issue was simply just a one off for the left for the 2022 election.

No, don't think so, it was definitely more than a pyrrhic win for the republicans, and will continue to be so, in the years ahead.

As i've said before, republicans gets punished hard on ballot initiatives, heck, if elections was nothing but a vote, issue for issue, GOP might well be extinct at this point, but since elections are mostly "R" vs "D", partisanship takes over.

Yes, republicans have been punished to some extent in elections cause of this, but not nearly enough as should be.

And even if less and less people vote for them, they can always fall back on the electoral system in the US, a system that favors empty land over actual people.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great day for the people of Ohio, but in the end, GOP politicians keeps getting away with it, in most elections.

Agreed but with both institutional Dems and Reps benefitting it's almost impossible for something to happen.

No, don't think so, it was definitely more than a pyrrhic win for the republicans, and will continue to be so, in the years ahead.

As i've said before, republicans gets punished hard on ballot initiatives, heck, if elections was nothing but a vote, issue for issue, GOP might well be extinct at this point, but since elections are mostly "R" vs "D", partisanship takes over.

Yes, republicans have been punished to some extent in elections cause of this, but not nearly enough as should be.

And even if less and less people vote for them, they can always fall back on the electoral system in the US, a system that favors empty land over actual people.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great day for the people of Ohio, but in the end, GOP politicians keeps getting away with it, in most elections.
The more the repub party is being led by single issue activists, the better for the nation.

The more the repub party is being led by single issue activists, the better for the nation.

And yet, they probably still ends up with the senate next year, because again, they dont need to be popular to "win" elections.

They haven't won the popular vote in a presidential election since basically forever, doubt they care though, system rewards them regardless.

And yet, they probably still ends up with the senate next year, because again, they dont need to be popular to "win" elections.

They haven't won the popular vote in a presidential election since basically forever, doubt they care though, system rewards them regardless.
Without the Dobbs ruling, no doubt they win the Senate & hold the House; with the Dobbs ruling, Dems win the House back & it will be close in the Senate.

Agreed but with both institutional Dems and Reps benefitting it's almost impossible for something to happen.

You're American, right?

Has there never been a movement among voters or a discussion in the media regarding if more choices on the ballot would make sense?

Yeah, agree. If I were to adjust it slightly I’d raise the lower limit a bit for who gets in the debates and who gets into parliament. After the proliferation on the number of parties on both extremes, there is simply too many parties represented in the debates.

I suppose you could raise the bar somewhat. In any case, I like having more choices than just Socialdemokratiet and Venstre :lol:

It's so silly isn't it, how can one of the most diverse populations in the world with 350M people be reduced to 2 parties?

Portugal has about 11M and we have 9 parties in parliament, from trumpian proto-fascists to old school leninist communists.

Yeah, our parties range from the far right to the far left as well. And even if I strongly disagree with a number of them, I do think it's healthy for a democracy.

I suppose you could raise the bar somewhat. In any case, I like having more choices than just Socialdemokratiet and Venstre :lol:

Of course - you can also choose Moderaterne :drool:

Joking aside, what I meant was, do we really need Dansk Folkeparti, Danmarksdemokraterne and Nye Borgerlige on the far right, and Enhedslisten, Alternativet and Frie Grønne on the far left? There are far too many dopes on the debate stage. Listening to Pernille Vermund pretend to know anything about nuclear power, or Sikandar Siddique challenging the right to own property, makes me want to hurt myself.

Just a typo, I guess. It should be The Best Damn Band in the Land, which is the nickname for the Ohio State University Marching Band.
Yep, that’s why the ‘v’ through me off. Even went into the urban dictionary to see if I was missing something completely!