2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

He’s also just a good dude. My mom came out of retirement to be part of a really important project (mental health for kids in disadvantaged communities) and he has been an absolute ally in the work. She raves about him constantly.
Yes. Stories like these put a smile on my face :)

We do indeed need to be again a joyful nation. We have been oppressed for 9 years by one man and his cronies.

Not family for me but at least one colleague at work. Tbh I like him as a person but can’t be there if politics comes up. So, we both avoid that subject. He’s hooked on Fox News so you can imagine the info he’s getting, and not getting.
Poor guy. He prolly says the same about me :lol:

Good watch. It's so easy to label Trump voters everything from dumb to bigoted, but in the end are there really +70 million truly bad people in America? More than anything else, they are brainwashed. But the question posed in the end is correct, and a little scary. How can you even begin to unwind this situation, when there isn't even a shared set of facts that can be argued?

Agree. And unless their news source, or circle of influence, magically changes (which it wont) then they will forever feel the same about Trump and whatever comes next. Plus, people don't want to admit they are wrong. A lot of these people's identity revolves around supporting Trump.

As much as the core of the GOP would love to have a centrist candidate, there is now a wing that expect someone like Trump as a Republican leader going forward. A Rubio or Haley will feel like diet coke to them, when they have been snorting pure columbian for the past 8 years.

Would love to see Trump in a barber shop. What would they do to his hair?
aliens-sigourney-weaver.gif

According to Nate Silver, Harris is gaining relative to last week (without the effect of the convention yet):

https://www.natesilver.net/p/nate-silver-2024-president-election-polls-model

This is why I wasn’t impressed by the gain of Trump last week compared to the previous one.

Now, we need to see the effects of the convention and RFK dropping out of the race. This is likely to happen in two weeks or so, and then we will be approaching the debate.

It was looking pretty bleak with Biden, i will admit that, but going back to something i've said earlier, its worth mentioning that the GOP hasn't had a single good election after 2016, not one.

They are not really that strong as a national party these days, dems don't have to be perfect in order to defeat them.

But that is the whole point that some of us had been hammering for 2 years.

Any normal candidate was a favourite against Trump if Biden decided not to run a second term and the Dems had normal primaries. Trump was a terrible opponent that a decrepit Biden propped up Trump to a viable option

Bring out the rifles and bayonets, it’s 1857 again.

Obviously awful but despite its grandiose name I'm not entirely sure how important this mob currently are. They seem to be a grass roots pressure group with 1800 followers on twitter. Reading their wiki makes them sound pretty small potatoes too.

Guess we'll see if this argument catches on in the wider Republican party (a fair chance imo).

You mean the man who started two wars which ended up in:

- killing millions
- destroying three countries
- completely destabilizing the Middle-East
- giving birth to ISIS
- generating an unprecedented wave of deadly terrorist attacks across Europe
- causing one of the biggest migration waves in human History
- being one of the main catalysts of the enormous rise of the far-right across the world

That man?

Yes.

you prefer a neocon who started 2 wars, violated civil liberties with the Patriot Act and presided over the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression?

Trump is bad but the rehabilitation of W is mind boggling, people truly have the memory of gold fishes.

To be fair, after 9/11, the Patriot Act and Afghanistan invasion would have happened if Gore was President. And the deregulation of the financial services industry that was the root cause of the Great Recession happened under Clinton, the Financial Services Modernization Act (1999) and the Commodity Futures Modernization Act (2000). The Great Recession also would have happened if Gore was President.

It's really only the Iraq War that would be solely Bush Admin's fault.

Last edited:
It’s possible to believe Trump is worse than Bush without defending the latter. Your comment is uncalled for.

No it is impossible.

In terms of the destruction and misery Bush caused around the world, it is impossible to say that Bush is not worse. He is directly responsible for the destruction of the lives of tens of millions around the world, directly responsible for the rise of one of the worst terrorist organisation in modern history, everything trump did will be like a drop in a sea compared to GB.

Unless you think 35m Iraqi lives not that important.

It’s possible to believe Trump is worse than Bush without defending the latter. Your comment is uncalled for.
Trump isn't patch on Bush and it's most likely to remain that way even if he Comes back to power .

No it is impossible.

In terms of the destruction and misery Bush caused around the world, it is impossible to say that Bush is not worse. He is directly responsible for the destruction of the lives of tens of millions around the world, directly responsible for the rise of one of the worst terrorist organisation in modern history, everything trump did will be like a drop in a sea compared to GB.

Unless you think 35m Iraqi lives not that important.
I’m not going to go into a discussion about who is worse. I think that’s a pointless excercise. I’m just saying that when you vilify a stranger for making a comment like that, you are contributing to a toxic debate climate that ironically enabled Trump. It’s just not an okay way to reply to someone.

Yes.

No one is "rehabilitating" W. He was not a good president, let's make that perfectly clear. However, It is natural that he looks somewhat better when being compared to Trump and the new, even more extreme, iteration of the Republican Party of today. Just look at how people like W, Romney and Liz Cheney have become pariahs of their own party - how extraordinary is that?

I’m not going to go into a discussion about who is worse. I think that’s a pointless excercise. I’m just saying that when you vilify a stranger for making a comment like that, you are contributing to a toxic debate climate that ironically enabled Trump. It’s just not an okay way to reply to someone.

I am not creating a toxic debate, his answer is cold and lack any human compassion with the hundred of thousands of Iraqis who lost their lives and millions refugees affected by that, it is shortsighted view and self-centred that has no regards to other people tragedies.

I am not creating a toxic debate, his answer is cold and lack any human compassion with the hundred of thousands of Iraqis who lost their lives and millions refugees affected by that, it is shortsighted view and self-centred that has no regards to other people tragedies.

I answered that way because you set up your argument in a way that would make any other answer than the one you wanted seem bad. It was not a question you asked in good faith. Which is why I gave a cold, but true, answer without elaborating.

I believe it is completely obvious that Bush is better than Trump, but as @Jev says it is completely pointless going into a long winded discussion about something that will only waste our Saturday.

I answered that way because you set up your argument in a way that would make any other answer than the one you wanted seem bad. It was not a question you asked in good faith. Which is why I gave a cold, but true, answer without elaborating.

I believe it is completely obvious that Bush is better than Trump, but as @Jev says it is completely pointless going into a long winded discussion about something that will only waste our Saturday.

It is only obvious for people who do not care about millions of lives lost on wars and invasions and aftermath destruction cause by that man.

Now if you have no regard for the tragedies of all those people from the middles east, fair enough, because domestic policy is nothing I can comment on and probably B is better, I dont know. But the world is not only the USA and the number of human lives suffered on the hands B dwarfs whatever Trump did.

because domestic policy is nothing I can comment on and probably B is better, I dont know.

Exactly.

With all due respect, if you do not have any knowledge or interest in US domestic policy then perhaps this is not the right thread? Given this is 100% about domestic policy.

Exactly.

With all due respect, if you do not have any knowledge or interest in US domestic policy then perhaps this is not the right thread? Given this is 100% about domestic policy.
I think that you don't quite understand how harmful on both domestic and international levels that mentally challenged excuse of a human being you elected as a President in 2000 was, and how he paved the way to an even more mentally challenged psychopath in 2016.

Last edited:
I think that you don't quite understand how harmful on both domestic and international levels that mentally challenged excuse of a human being you elected as a President in 2000 was and how he paved the way to an even more mentally challenged psychopath in 2016.

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.