2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

You would be correct in the first part. The US public are generally pro-Israel with the exception of the youth, who are notorious for protesting and complaining on social media, but not actually to turning up to vote.

The second part follows from the first, unless you think it's good to be racist, pro-imperialism or genocide (and as part the Iraq occupation, that may be an open question?). After all, the US is a Liberal Democracy with a Free Press, it's not like any information about the history or current reality is being censored from them!

The EC, if i believe correctly, requires a constitutional amendment to be taken care of, 2/3 of congress, so its not happening.

There is nothing much, i think, that prevents dems from adding more states though, if dems have a trifecta again they need to prioritize self-preservation, abolish the filibuster and add Puerto Rico and DC, for extra EC votes, and to level the playing field in the senate.

In theory there's also the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, but at best that would just circumvent the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

The second part follows from the first, unless you think it's good to be racist, pro-imperialism or genocide (and as part the Iraq occupation, that may be an open question?). After all, the US is a Liberal Democracy with a Free Press, it's not like any information about the history or current reality is being censored from them!

It would make sense if it were true. The reality is the US public aren't galvanized culturally, socially, or ideationally, which makes for a lot of conflicting opinions about various subjects. The Israel issue is the only one with cultural cross-over appeal because of evangelicals on the right, and a lot of casual Christians and Jews in the middle and on the slight center left.

Its a false choice since US voters don't have the ability to start or stop anything in the Middle East since both options are to varying degrees always going to be pro-Israel.
I don't disagree, but the agenda from a certain poster is that by voting for one side means you are enabling/supporting genocide, so you must support another side

Any constitutional amendment also requires 3/4 of states as well as 2/3 of Congress, that's even less likely.

Re; Filibuster, abolishing it has consequences, this was done for the nomination of SCOTUS judges and look where that ended up, the filibuster needs to change, probably by reducing the numbers required, it serves a purpose as it means there needs to be some bi-partisan ship

Requires the states that benefits most from the system to go against it, yeah, not happening.

I see your point that abolishing the filibuster can backfire, but the way i see it, the filibuster is a relic that needs to be abolished anyway, to get things done, the days of 60 senators for either party are long gone.

Maybe reduce it, like you say, is also an option, say 55?

It would make sense if it were true. The reality is the US public aren't galvanized culturally, socially, or ideationally, which makes for a lot of conflicting opinions about various subjects. The Israel issue is the only one with cultural cross-over appeal because of evangelicals on the right, and a lot of casual Christians and Jews in the middle and on the slight center left.

So that means those particular groups are actively pro-genocide, while others passively support it, got it!

So that means those particular groups are actively pro-genocide, while others passively support it, got it!

Or option 3 - none of them consider it as such and simply support Israel's right to respond to 10.7 . Not exactly surprising given that most Americans still remember the experience of 9/11

Requires the states that benefits most from the system to go against it, yeah, not happening.

I see your point that abolishing the filibuster can backfire, but the way i see it, the filibuster is a relic that needs to be abolished anyway, to get things done, the days of 60 senators for either party are long gone.

Maybe reduce it, like you say, is also an option, say 55?
Something like 54-55 would make sense to me, it ensures that there is some level of cooperaton and that something might actually get done in the Senate

Then your comment is even stranger.

Not really. Discounting personal reasons, it is in Europe's best interest that the US is well functioning as well as being a reliable ally. That's not going to be the case with the current iteration of the Republican Party.

I don't disagree, but the agenda from a certain poster is that by voting for one side means you are enabling/supporting genocide, so you must support another side

If this was directed at me, I think a vote for either major side in the US is an affirmative vote for the slaughter to continue.

Or option 3 - none of them consider it as such and simply support Israel's right to respond to 10.7 . Not exactly surprising given that most Americans still remember the experience of 9/11

Their response has the characteristics of a genocide, as has been reported on by the American free press. Continuing to support this slaughter, and, according to you, not seeing it as at least ethnic cleansing, if not more, does suggest a deep-rooted racism (as I indicated in my first post.)

If this was directed at me, I think a vote for either major side in the US is an affirmative vote for the slaughter to continue.

Their response has the characteristics of a genocide, as has been reported on by the American free press. Continuing to support this slaughter, and, according to you, not seeing it as at least ethnic cleansing, if not more, does suggest a deep-rooted racism (as I indicated in my first post.)

Your framing seems to be off. I think most in the public view the conflict as an intergenerational dispute over land that has killed a lot of people over the generations, this most recent episode being a particularly violent one. The American interest in Israel has been discussed ad nauseum in various Israel threads, so no need to rehash it through a deep dive in the elections thread.

Your framing seems to be off. I think most in the public view the conflict as an intergenerational dispute over land that has killed a lot of people over the generations, this most recent episode being a particularly violent one. The American interest in Israel has been discussed ad nauseum in various Israel threads, so no need to rehash it through a deep dive in the elections thread.
So, they see it as an intergenerational land dispute, and are happy to arm, provide full diplomatic support, and pass censorship laws, in favour of the side doing the ethnic cleansing and 95% of the killing. And had been since the first UN vote itself. This framing and that reality don't exactly line up.

E- another potential reason I missed is settler solidarity?

Last edited:
With the benefit of total hindsight, I wonder how many Americans are happy with the cause of action the US took after 9/11, and whether they are able to identify that Israel is making some of the same mistakes.

With the benefit of total hindsight, I wonder how many Americans are happy with the cause of action the US took after 9/11, and whether they are able to identify that Israel is making some of the same mistakes.

Afghanistan - completely necessary given that Bin Ladin and the Taliban who facilitated his campaign by hosting him needed to be confronted. Iraq is largely viewed as unnecessary and was a direct result of the Dubya administration and wouldn't have happend had Al Gore won the election (hanging chads et al).

Not really. Discounting personal reasons, it is in Europe's best interest that the US is well functioning as well as being a reliable ally. That's not going to be the case with the current iteration of the Republican Party.
Do you believe you'll be actually in physical danger if trump wins the election?

Do you believe you'll be actually in physical danger if trump wins the election?

That's not really a very good "gotcha". Since you are so active in this thread, I presume you have enough knowledge about US issues to know how damaging a new Trump term would be domestically right? Those reasons ALONE are good enough to will on the Dems - despite any of their flaws.

As for my personal security I'll humor you. I think it is unlikely I'll be in any danger, but keep in mind that Norway share a border with Russia. I don't think it is likely that Putin will want a bite of Northern Norway, but who the hell knows these days? It's an unstable world, and it will be even more unstable with another Trump presidency. It might not happen, but there is every chance that Trump could pull out of NATO, or at the very least refuse to come to Europe's aid unless his terms are fulfilled. He said the following:

Trump said “one of the presidents of a big country” at one point asked him whether the US would still defend the country if they were invaded by Russia even if they “don’t pay.”

“No, I would not protect you,” Trump recalled telling that president. “In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. You got to pay your bills.”

Not to mention the potential financial ramifications of a new Trump term - that will affect us too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/15/what-a-trump-presidency-could-mean-for-europes-economy.html

There is every reason for me AND you to go all in on hoping that Harris wins. There's no excuse really.

I actually think the event was a win for Trump. He got his message out, largely uninterrupted, to a very large group of people. Suspect Musk will do more of these at some point.
Will he gain any new votes from it?

Didn't listen to it live, just a bunch of clips after. Doesn't appear to me that his performance was engaging to those indies who are still on the fence.

Didn't listen to it live, just a bunch of clips after. Doesn't appear to me that his performance was engaging to those indies who are still on the fence.
Exactly. Yes he got airtime on the platform. But, was any of that nonsense effective to the voters it needed to be is the real question. Same old same to his base is not going to halt current Harris/Waltz momentum.

It was more like eavesdropping on a phone call between two famous people. Trump's general demeanor was pretty mild and conversational, which was light years away from his usual combative self during MSM interviews. His problem in recent weeks has been that Harris has stolen the spotlight and doesn't want to relinquish it, so events like this will help him to a degree because they give him unfettered access to non-traditional audiences.

It was more like eavesdropping on a phone call between two famous people. Trump's general demeanor was pretty mild and conversational, which was light years away from his usual combative self during MSM interviews. His problem in recent weeks has been that Harris has stolen the spotlight and doesn't want to relinquish it, so events like this will help him to a degree because they give him unfettered access to non-traditional audiences.
Any idea what caused the slurring? No Adderall coursing through the veins or simply dentures coming loose (he sounded like my grandmother after too many sherries)?

Exactly. Yes he got airtime on the platform. But, was any of that nonsense effective to the voters it needed to be is the real question. Same old same to his base is not going to halt current Harris/Waltz momentum.

I would imagine that not a lot of "neutrals" would tune in to something like that. These days I'm fairly certain that there is a significant overlap between Trump fans and Musk fans - and those are mainly those who would tune in I'd think.

Any idea what caused the slurring? No Adderall coursing through the veins or simply dentures coming loose (he sounded like my grandmother after too many sherries)?

Probably a selective social media aberration. Beyond the usual nonsense he talks, he sounded pretty normal.

Nope not directed at you

Its sad how the rustbelt states are rather safe blue otherwise, but can't quit this orange joke, for some reason.

The underlying message is that the rust belt may actually not be safe for Dems given how Trump has historically outperformed in them. More people turned out for Trump on election day than what the polling going into the final months has previously revealed, which is why the gleeful celebrations that Harris is going to win may be a bit premature at this point.

Harris' campaign is transforming big crowds into volunteers on the ground in key swing states

Last week in Nevada, 1,000 of the 5,010 volunteer sign-ups were for the next day to join a series of weekly events the campaign holds on Sundays, a campaign official said. The campaign official said the burst of sign-ups made Sunday the biggest day yet for the weekly series. For comparison, the official said, attendance at Sunday’s events was 669% over attendance at the previous one, which was held July 7, before President Joe Biden dropped out.

In Wisconsin, the campaign had 13,000 conversations with voters over the weekend, and it got more than 1,100 volunteer sign-ups at a rally in Detroit to volunteer, the official said.

“All those folks will get called, they’ll get shifted, they’ll have a good experience,” said Kanninen, who said the campaign is mirroring much of what officials did during the 2008 and 2012 Obama campaigns, which he worked on. “We’ll ask them to do more. We hope they bring their friends. And it’s a snowball that grows upon itself.”
This goes to the importance of the current strategy to prioritize these rallies in order to get the ground campaigns setup and volunteers. As well as keep the enthusiasm and momentum. I also saw the campaign is targeting the million or so overseas Battleground state voters as well.

The underlying message is that the rust belt may actually not be safe for Dems given how Trump has historically outperformed in them. More people turnout for Trump on election day than what the polling going into the final months has previously revealed, which is why the gleeful celebrations that Harris is going to win may be a bit premature at this point.

They are rather safe, whenever the orange clown isn't on the ballot, which speaks quite poorly of these states, they somehow lose their minds when he is on the ballot.

They are rather safe, whenever the orange clown isn't on the ballot, which speaks quite poorly of these states, they somehow lose their minds when he is on the ballot.

Oh right. I see what you mean. Also, throw in the fact that OH has gone much redder since Trump showed up. There must be something about his schtick that connects in the rust belt.

Oh right. I see what you mean. Also, throw in the fact that OH has gone much redder since Trump showed up. There must be something about his schtick that connects in the rust belt.

Now, personally, i believe that the polls will not overestimate Trump by much, if anything, this election, just a personal opinion, but the "energy" doesn't seem to be there.

But whatever "hold" Trump hold over these traditional blue states is indeed rather strange, and i hope its gone, when he is gone.