2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Most posters on here that can vote in the US election want to live under a democracy not a dictatorship, that's a self-interest that affects them personally, events 1000's of miles away, whilst disgraceful, does not directly impact their lives, if you had the choice to stop a genocide but as a conseqence you had to live under an authoritarian and vindictive regime, which would you choose?

The choice isn't between democracy or support genocide. It's possible to have a democracy that doesn't support genocide. But for that to happen, leaders need to be confronted by hard questions and voters have to pressure them to enact the policy they want. Protecting every single crime committed by biden (and in the near future harris) just by yelling "trump" won't change a thing.

And to answer your silly question, I would happily move to 2016 america if that meant stopping a genocide.

We've had people in this thread literally saying that supporting genocide was not a deal breaker for them. American politics are now completely tribal, no one gives a shit about their candidate as long as the opponent loses.
You have a point if Trumps side said they'd do anything to curtail whats happening in Palestine. He didn't, he's said they should be allowed to bomb it all apart. Having Trump in wouldn't help palestinians at all, if anything there would be zero push back. Bibi is a hard core right winger, he wants Trump to win. At least Harris has said its time for a cease fire. Maybe hollow but its 100x better than anything coming from Trumps side

You have a point if Trumps side said they'd do anything to curtail whats happening in Palestine. He didn't, he's said they should be allowed to bomb it all apart. Having Trump in wouldn't help palestinians at all, if anything there would be zero push back. Bibi is a hard core right winger, he wants Trump to win. At least Harris has said its time for a cease fire. Maybe hollow but its 100x better than anything coming from Trumps side
I'm not supporting trump, as far as I'm concerned he could drop dead tomorrow. But I won't pretend that protecting his opponents from all criticism, most of it fair and deserved, will achieve anything other than the progressive deterioration of american democracy.

Good.

Hopefully this will energize our base and swing voters who would like to protect abortion rights.

As for the X thing: just like with his most recent “press conference,” I am not watching. I heard enough of Trump over the past 10-15 years.

Biden dropped out July 24th.

Looked like we were on course for a Trump 350+ EV win.

That would essentially be people turning 18 and those who have attained citizenship? Why would they be more likely to be right / Republican leaning?

That would essentially be people turning 18 and those who have attained citizenship? Why would they be more likely to be right / Republican leaning?
Or just people that have never registered to vote before, I would assume. There’s loads of them.

Its a false choice since US voters don't have the ability to start or stop anything in the Middle East since both options are to varying degrees always going to be pro-Israel.
Whoa whoa that take isn't allowed. That puts you firmly on team love Genocide.

I tried to listen to it (through a youtube channel that was live streaming it) and I lasted about 25 mins but then had to turn it off. Elon tried to act like there was another version of Trump but there isn't, its the same rambling moron we see at Rallys and interviews. This isn't a conversation and probably why Rogan hasn't had Trump on. He wants him to win but there's no way he'd be able to stop the rambling

Just this time without his dentures in!

Biden dropped out July 24th.

Looked like we were on course for a Trump 350+ EV win.

This isn't really as big a factor as it initially seems is it?

The Dems aren't winning Florida. Nor are they losing California. But about 2/3 of the new voter registration seems to be in those 2 states alone.

This isn't really as big a factor as it initially seems is it?

The Dems aren't winning Florida. Nor are they losing California. But about 2/3 of the new voter registration seems to be in those 2 states alone.

Around 15,000 more Republican registrations in Arizona and Pennsylvania compared to Democrats stand out as something that could be potentially worrying.

Its a false choice since US voters don't have the ability to start or stop anything in the Middle East since both options are to varying degrees always going to be pro-Israel.

You can keep on repeating this.

Then people will reply, generally agreeing but pointing out that other presidents have gone nowhere near as far as Biden, with some withholding arms when they want to pressurise Israel. They may also point out the polling that in terms of the Democrat base is nowhere near as pro-Israel as the Republican base. Which we've seen in the past 2 elections, regardless of what Trump does, will eventually fall in line and back him.

Then the gaslighting will continue, ignoring the above and continuing to repeat the mantra that this is basically the only way.

Then someone will say Trump and the conversation lies there.

Rinse and repeat.

Around 15,000 more Republican registrations in Arizona and Pennsylvania compared to Democrats stand out as something that could be potentially worrying.

Very true. Will be interesting to see the August numbers when they come in to check on the effect Harris has had.

Then people will reply, generally agreeing but pointing out that other presidents have gone nowhere near as far as Biden, with some withholding arms when they want to pressurise Israel. They may also point out the polling that in terms of the Democrat base is nowhere near as pro-Israel as the Republican base. Which we've seen in the past 2 elections, regardless of what Trump does, will eventually fall in line and back him.

Then the gaslighting will continue, ignoring the above and continuing to repeat the mantra that this is basically the only way.

Rinse and repeat.

When the only other party in the US has become a far right extremist cult then - yes - this is the only way.

Rinse and repeat.

Trump literally moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem and changed US policy to declare that Israeli settlements were no longer illegal

Do we have to do this again? There's obviously an extremely vocal group on this site for whom the Gaza situation is the ONLY thing worth considering in any geopolitical context. You may disagree or agree with that, whatever.

What is not helpful to anyone is pretending therefore that their views should supercede all other discussiosn about literally f*cking anything.

How should the US tackle inflation? How worried should we be about election certification. Should Harris do more interviews? Should Musk be a right-wing loon and be able to run a major 'news' source? What are we doing about climate change? If my daughter is raped, does she have to spend the rest of her life with the product of that?

None of those matter for some posters, fine, but please just let the rest of us discuss them. For some of us they matter. I'm not telling you what shoudl be most important to you.

Do we have to do this again? There's obviously an extremely vocal group on this site for whom the Gaza situation is the ONLY thing worth considering in any geopolitical context. You may disagree or agree with that, whatever.

What is not helpful to anyone is pretending therefore that their views should supercede all other discussiosn about literally f*cking anything.

This! Thank you.

Crazy that if Trump just waited until after the DNC to debate Biden, he'd never have dropped out and we'd be on the way to a 2nd Trump term.

Huge feck up from their team. I think this will be a relative landslide for Kamala now

Crazy that if Trump just waited until after the DNC to debate Biden, he'd never have dropped out and we'd be on the way to a 2nd Trump term.

Huge feck up from their team. I think this will be a relative landslide for Kamala now

Absolutely, seems like luck might just be on the right side this time around. Still quite a way to go though, but I'm carefully optimistic.

How should the US tackle inflation? How worried should we be about election certification. Should Harris do more interviews? Should Musk be a right-wing loon and be able to run a major 'news' source? What are we doing about climate change? If my daughter is raped, does she have to spend the rest of her life with the product of that?

None of those matter for some posters, fine, but please just let the rest of us discuss them. For some of us they matter. I'm not telling you what shoudl be most important to you.
You don't have to engage them if it really bothers you that much, you know. As you are allowed to discuss what you want, so are they.

Use the ignore function.

You don't have to engage them if it really bothers you that much, you know. As you are allowed to discuss what you want, so are they.

Use the ignore function.
It's not about engagement. I have tried and failed at that. It's the sheer piling on of it all, the holier than thou attitude and the 'fix (this particular) genocide then we can talk about other stuff' stance that I just find exhausting. I guess that's the point, but I don't see what it adds to a thread such as this one, which is in theory focussed on something else.

I don't believe in ignoring using the feature, just because I don't agree with someone doesn't mean I shouldn't see what they believe.

We've had people in this thread literally saying that supporting genocide was not a deal breaker for them. American politics are now completely tribal, no one gives a shit about their candidate as long as the opponent loses.
I give a shit about a womans right to chose along with a hundred other things that you yourself enjoy in your country. If american politics doesn't agree with you then don't comment, simple.

If it wasn't Gaza it would be something else. They weren't too bothered about an apartheid state before the violence escalated to this extreme.

If it wasn't Gaza it would be something else. They weren't too bothered about an apartheid state before the violence escalated to this extreme.
What a strange argument. The left has been bothered by the situation in Gaza and the West Bank for a long time, but of course it's going to take center stage when +30,000 people are killed indiscriminately with weapons largely supplied by the US government, and when that same government is simultaneously completely unwilling to draw a line in the sand for seemingly anything.

So
What a strange argument. The left has been bothered by the situation in Gaza and the West Bank for a long time, but of course it's going to take center stage when +30,000 people are killed indiscriminately with weapons largely supplied by the US government, and when that same government is simultaneously completely unwilling to draw a line in the sand for seemingly anything.
Where has that stick been to beat on Republicans?

So

Where has that stick been to beat on Republicans?
The Republicans don't currently occupy the White House. For some people the two hypotheticals "Trump would have done the same or worse" and "It will be worse under Trump" doesn't really do much. They want to hold the person(s) who has actually held the power during this tragedy responsible.

I give a shit about a womans right to chose along with a hundred other things that you yourself enjoy in your country. If american politics doesn't agree with you then don't comment, simple.

Exactly right. It's easy to sit, safely (for the time being, who knows if Trump backs out of NATO for example), in Europe and criticize.

When the only other party in the US has become a far right extremist cult then - yes - this is the only way.

No it isn't the only way.

I'm talking about the response to the Gaza conflict as there being other ways. Not that trump is the other way.