2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Trump is in full self-sabotage mode right now, it’s glorious to see. His advisers must be ripping their hair out. His inner four-year-old just cannot be contained, and it’s costing him the election at the moment.

I can't get how people can vote for Trump. As much they watch fox, he is clearly demented, his rumbling is legendary, he is dumb, a grifter, a criminal and a traitor . It doesn't make sense to me that even a few thousands vote for him, let alone 70 million like in 2020

If Harris doesn't mess it up and lay low till november, he should enter in self destruction mode and she should wipe in the elections

He just keeps losing it.

This is Trumps whole spiel. He's not loosing it. He just says as much crap as possible to get airtime. The more people talk about him the better. What he says and does means jack sht to his target voters. The media love it. Even the ones against Trump because its an exiting story. What will get more clicks? Dems discuss new border policy or Kamala hates Christmas? He will continue with more and more crazy stuff. When/If they get desperate enough it will be Paedo Waltz or some other crazy sht. Throw enough mud and hopefully some will stick and at the same time just get everyone focused and talking about him. That's how the world works these days unfortunately and to be fair Trump knows how to play the media.

This is Trumps whole spiel. He's not loosing it. He just says as much crap as possible to get airtime. The more people talk about him the better. What he says and does means jack sht to his target voters. The media love it. Even the ones against Trump because its an exiting story. What will get more clicks? Dems discuss new border policy or Kamala hates Christmas? He will continue with more and more crazy stuff. When/If they get desperate enough it will be Paedo Waltz or some other crazy sht. Throw enough mud and hopefully some will stick and at the same time just get everyone focused and talking about him. That's how the world works these days unfortunately and to be fair Trump knows how to play the media.
I think that's a bad strategy for them right now. They'll win if this election is about the border, and possibly the economy. They will lose if it's about cancelling Christmas.

He's just undisciplined. His advisors have been trying to reign him in, but they can't, because his brain is utterly addled and he direct access to voters on his phone.

I think that's a bad strategy for them right now. They'll win if this election is about the border, and possibly the economy. They will lose if it's about cancelling Christmas.

He's just undisciplined. His advisors have been trying to reign him in, but they can't, because his brain is utterly addled and he direct access to voters on his phone.
There was recently a poll that showed the voters now trust Kamala more on the economy, but it was still close. Other than that I agree. The culture war stuff has largely been a dud for the Republicans, best exemplified by all the trans scaremongering. They've been running on that for a few years now, and it doesn't seem to resonate except for with dweebs on the internet.

Trump won in 2016, because he was the outsider railing against the establishment, which Clinton was the perfect symbol of. He was also quite good at mixing in economic populism in his messaging. As the former president he can no longer be called the outsider, and his messaging is now much more about personal grievances than grievances on behalf of an overlooked part of the country/population. He is doing nothing to expand his base for some reason, and he missed a huge opportunity to do that by selecting a more moderate VP candidate. I think a Trump/Haley ticket could have been formidable, but he was always going to be too proud to pick her.

His advisors are trying to reign him in? Even after he incited a riot on the Capital, stole classified docs, became a convicted felon and on and on and now they are trying to stop him saying crazy sht? I think not. They know exactly what he is and they stood by him no matter what he does. Its all part of the strategy. 90 percent of the crazy sht he says is probably scripted and planned. The rest is just him going off script but it works because he is a loon. I don't believe this 'Oh look what crazy sht Trump has said now' narrative anymore. Its been done to death and I think and hope Harris/Walz know exactly what game they are playing and the best thing to do is not engage with it. Like I don't think Kamala gave any response to the fact that he said she was Indian one moment and black the next. She just ignored it. Thats how you do it. Or you just laugh and mock them like Walz did a couple of times.

His advisors are trying to reign him in? Even after he incited a riot on the Capital, stole classified docs, became a convicted felon and on and on and now they are trying to stop him saying crazy sht? I think not. They know exactly what he is and they stood by him no matter what he does. Its all part of the strategy. 90 percent of the crazy sht he says is probably scripted and planned. The rest is just him going off script but it works because he is a loon. I don't believe this 'Oh look what crazy sht Trump has said now' narrative anymore. Its been done to death and I think and hope Harris/Walz know exactly what game they are playing and the best thing to do is not engage with it. Like I don't think Kamala gave any response to the fact that he said she was Indian one moment and black the next. She just ignored it. Thats how you do it. Or you just laugh and mock them like Walz did a couple of times.
Everything I've read and heard suggests the opposite. I meant his campaign advisors this time - both of whom are very proven, serious people. They had a strong message for him around immigration and the economy which he was doing well on, but since the Harris swap he's gone back to ad-libbing.

His rallies and his tweets are generally not-scripted. No 4d chess playing advisor is telling him to talk about sharks and Hannibal Lecter. He's just an idiot, that loves standing in front of a crowd of adoring people and just saying whatever comes to mind.

Plenty of reports from reliable outlets (NYT, Axios) in the last few days saying his campaign is frustrated with him because he can’t control his anger and goes off on these rambling tirades that seem detrimental to him. They want him to stick to criticizing Harris’ record on immigration and the economy.

I know I'm a hypocrite, because I've participated in making fun of people for their looks (it's basically what the internet was for, a few years ago), but I thought we were past that. Kids, I mean. Making fun of adult JD Vance for his style choices is fair.
Shut it fatty

I think we are going to see a bit of a death spiral from Trump the more the momentum shifts to Harris. He will become even more erratic and lash out even more and it’s going to turn off independents who will be more inclined to join a movement gaining momentum than a whiney, woe is me, conspiracy peddling nutter that is clearly regressing mentally.

I think we are going to see a bit of a death spiral from Trump the more the momentum shifts to Harris. He will become even more erratic and lash out even more and it’s going to turn off independents who will be more inclined to join a movement gaining momentum than a whiney, woe is me, conspiracy peddling nutter that is clearly regressing mentally.
I very, VERY much hope you're right.

That's the vibe I am getting with the current momentum too. We'll have to see what twists and turns are in waiting though.

We're in this weird spot where there is good reason for optimism, but also caution since the polls are still tight and we still haven't seen debates or lots of interviews for Harris. But things are certainly looking up.

For Trump, I think it really it's a big problem for him that he is now far and away the oldest candidate in the race. There was this neutral criticism of the situation that the two men running were that old, but Biden took the brunt of that because he appears much more frail. That now shifts to Trump, because the Democrats fixed their problem, and there really is no good fix for him.

If this is true, we will know after the first (and possibly only) debate in a month, since he is likely to say something incredibly offensive to her before a national audience, either precipitated by a rehearsed one liner Harris has about him and his criminal convictions, or simply because Trump feels he needs to score points to animate his base to turn up.

It can’t be overstated that Trump needs to win the Presidency to escape the two federal cases that are still looming and could legit land him in prison, so he is going to do whatever he thinks it takes to win.

There's also the possiblity that he's convinced he can steal it, based on all the groundwork we've read about amongst the electors.

Right from the anus of Twitter feed into his mouth.

Wonder what the MAGA crowds will do this time if he loses yet another election and spreads conspiracy theories like these. The capitol storming was insane already.

On the latest, nice to see Trump losing his mind on Socials as ever. Yes big DJT, Harris used AI to simulate an event covered by every major news source - with cameras - in the world. Pretty advanced stuff. I like that the Harris campaign just hit back with videos. If he's focussed on his ahem, crowd sizes, then the Dems will win. I think JD Vance's days are numbered, as Trump relies on big media shocks to readjust things. Personally I'm terrified for whatever random October surprise they have planned this time. Given it's a female minority candidate, you can bet it'll try to feature sex and illegality. Find some patsy willing to say Harris slept with him in exchange for passing the (second) bar exam or something, only for voters to discover the day after the election that he never even went to law school.

Really interesting stuff in a podcast called 'The Wilderness' where they speak to panels certain demos on various political issues. I think the lessons are good:
- Talking about Trump on issues is pointless. Everyone on both sides has made their mind up. Doesn't matter what his latest crime/statement is. The best attack is to make him seem a buffon and small.
- You can't convince people about Democracy being at stake. It's like climate change, it doesn't work in messaging, it's too nebulous and big.
- Therefore, you focus on specific, easy-to-grasp issues. Abortion. Health care. Child care etc. It's been really successful in getting down-ballot dems elected all over the country
- Turnout is king, so the volunteering, fund-raising and registering efforts are absolutely crucial. Get your crazy Aunt out to vote, or your lazy friend etc. Easiest way to win is to get non-voters to show up.
- They couldn't get decent answers on Project 25 because people thought it was too insane to be real. The panel literally wouldn't believe the policies until they were shown the document itself and read it verbatim. Dems really should keep pushing on this, especially given how tight the Trump campaign is tied to key members of it.

Finally, I was just really encouraged by how plugged in at least those groups are. Gives me some hope the Dems might have a plan that can win. At the moment for me it's still a big toss-up, I think the electoral college is harder for Harris than (a fit and firing) Biden, she's currently on a bump and there will be a 'surprise' that will try to shake the margins. Plus the economy teetering is genuinely worrying.

I think for years, people approached right wing populist voters the wrong way. They think they just didn't know the facts and needed to present them differently but if it was about facts for these voters, they wouldn't have voted for the right wing parties to begin with. Some humans simply don't value facts and science that highly and prioritize loyalty and other stuff above it. There are people like this on both sides of the spectrum. In the end, it all comes down to putting yourself in other's shoes and seeing the world from their perspective instead of constantly bringing up arguments that you deem convincable because they convinced yourself.

It can’t be overstated that Trump needs to win the Presidency to escape the two federal cases that are still looming and could legit land him in prison, so he is going to do whatever he thinks it takes to win.

Haven't the Supreme Court largely torpedoed that with their ludicrous "official acts" decision?

Haven't the Supreme Court largely torpedoed that with their ludicrous "official acts" decision?

They simply created three categories of what construes an official act and sent it back down to the lower courts. The judge in charge of Trump's case now has to decide what to do in terms of categorizing Trump's behavior regarding Jan 6th. There is also still the other Jack Smith classified documents case who dismissal is being appealed and will at some point probably be re-filed. That process would obviously continue forward if Harris wins. Beyond these two cases, Trump is also on the hook for emerging election cases in various states as well, for which he can't be pardoned.

If this is true, we will know after the first (and possibly only) debate in a month, since he is likely to say something incredibly offensive to her before a national audience, either precipitated by a rehearsed one liner Harris has about him and his criminal convictions, or simply because Trump feels he needs to score points to animate his base to turn up.

Not entirely, in the FL case much of it covers a time period when he wasn't President, one assumes you can't be able to do 'official acts' when you're not an official

If the Dems win they'll just refile without the special counsel element and probably in DC rather than FL

Not entirely, in the FL case much of it covers a time period when he wasn't President, one assumes you can't be able to do 'official acts' when you're not an official

If the Dems win they'll just refile without the special counsel element and probably in DC rather than FL

Smith will probably try to get Cannon off the case since she's either incompetent or doing Trump's bidding (or both).