2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

The unironic imitation of Obama is weird enough, that Shapiro in addition to that named his dog after Obama's dog is entering creepy territory.

Shapiro is Obama’s guy. He was first to support him in PA in 2008 when all other Dems were still gravitating towards Hillary. Obama didn’t forget the gesture and they’ve remained close since. The similarities in speaking style are a bit too close for comfort though.

So bottomline:

Kelly's Pro: (likely) Delivers Arizona.
Kelly's Con: (likely) Loses Nevada (union issues).

Walz's Pro: no evident weaknesses.
Walz's Con: no evident strengths either.

Shapiro's Pro: (likely) Delivers Pennsylvania.
Shapiro's Con: (likely) Loses close races where palestinian/arab votes are a factor (Michigan?).

That's about it?
He also has both children by IVF, which is very important in current times.
Walz is a very uninspiring choice. There is nothing bad about him, but there is also nothing particularly exciting. A bit like Tim Kaine (or in the reverse side, Mike Pence).

It is obviously going to be Shapiro, and rightly so. With Whitmer ruling herself out, and probably never being an option cause Harris likely wanted a man on the ticket, it has to be Shapiro.
He’s the common sense Everyman.
Waltz is a poor pick.

He doesn't look "Presidential". As vacuous as that is, it matters in US Politics.

The right will label him as Bernie 2.0. He doesnt help to bring a state and it pushes Kamala further left.

Kamala has caved to the left and the unions. Probably scared of protests at the DNC. And maybe concerned that Shapiro is "too ambitions".

I guess she does have a thing for old white men though.

Prediction - Kamals loses in 2024 and Whitmer & Shapiro win in 2028.
Where do you live? Your takes are spectacularly wide of the mark.
Why not pick Kelly then? Astronaut. Swing State. Border State. Military service. Married to a gun violence survivor.

The Union endorsement is so overrated, imo. Most of those workers are voting Trump anyway. There not coming home and watching MSNBC.
Kelly has more power and influence where he is.
The rule number one, i believe, is pick someone who does no harm, Shapiro could have caused some division within the party, Walz does not.

I think you underestimate Walz, he has a very plain way of speaking, quite reletable i'd say.
I think this was important, snuff out any rearguard action from the erstwhile supporters of the left. Don’t give them the chance to hold the party hostage.
Relatable is usually the thing you hear. The old "would you want to have a beer with them" question.
Dubya famously was relatable, and tbh is shores up any perceived good was on Harris’ part.
I'm going to have to disagree again. That kind of stuff works with his base, but it turns off independent voters. Anyone with a brain won't buy that Harris hates Jews, when she actually decided to marry one.
Agree, a non-argument best left to Reddit.
The independents in America certainly have a gut wrenching choice now.

One one hand, a convicted felon, rapist, serial philanderer & a self hating racist who is happy working for “America’s Hitler”

And on the other hand, a bi-racial woman and a veteran / teacher / coach / dad

I’d hate to be in their shoes right now
Well said! Thoughts and prayers sent.

Shouldn't really stoop to this, but I would argue strongly against this :lol:

Been reading up on Walz and watching some interviews. I think he seems like a solid pick - seems very likable and doesn't have the perceived baggage of Shapiro.
He is the Midwest, he’s normal.

GUUyHXLWMAAIrDf

I think the chances are Zero.

What a weird thing to say!!!

And putting HUSSAIN in caps. The guy is an utter racist.
Every time I read something like this I am at first convinced it’s made up and then I realize it’s Trump.

Shapiro is taking it well, at least.
He does. He’s firing the crowd well.

This is the first moment that I feel truly energized about this election.

Also, could they just move the convention from Chicago to Philadelphia?

Shapiro is taking it well, at least.

Take a shot everytime he says ‘freedom’ :lol:

He is alright on the mic; kind of an Obama-lite. Not as naturally gifted, hams it up a bit but guess that works for American audiences.

He is alright on the mic; kind of an Obama-lite. Not as naturally gifted, hams it up a bit but guess that works for American audiences.
Done. Let me go grab the bottle. It's my b-day tomorrow and this fecking hurricane has canceled my traditional golf round with my dad. Bottoms up!

Meh, at least it wasn't "now let me be clear".

Done. Let me go grab the bottle. It's my b-day tomorrow and this fecking hurricane has canceled my traditional golf round with my dad. Bottoms up!
Happy birthday tomorrow!

You should treat yourself & your better half to a dinner at the Fearrington House as a celebration. Once I get settled at my new place, eating there is on my list of things to do.

Happy birthday tomorrow!

You should treat yourself & your better half to a dinner at the Fearrington House as a celebration. Once I get settled at my new place, eating there is on my list of things to do.
She's in France :lol:

We've looked at the menu, but the prices..... woof.

Trump having essentially swallowed the republican party, there is little room for others, their bench looks weak for the future, who will they look to, when he is gone?

Dems have a stronger bench, by far, at the moment.

I just looked - you could eat out at your favorite regular restaurant for a week with those prices!
True.... but cal knows good food so I trust him. He's the only person in this place, and probably in NC/GA who knows who Stitt and Hastings are.

Trump having essentially swallowed the republican party, there is little room for others, their bench looks weak for the future, who will they look to, when he is gone?

Dems have a stronger bench, by far, at the moment.
Don Jnr

GUUyHXLWMAAIrDf

I think the chances are Zero.

What a weird thing to say!!!

And putting HUSSAIN in caps. The guy is an utter racist.
Would be a shame if him getting increasingly worked up would have an adverse effect on his health. To quote Palpatine - "Good, let the hate flow through you"

Waltz is a poor pick.

He doesn't look "Presidential". As vacuous as that is, it matters in US Politics.

The right will label him as Bernie 2.0. He doesnt help to bring a state and it pushes Kamala further left.

Kamala has caved to the left and the unions. Probably scared of protests at the DNC. And maybe concerned that Shapiro is "too ambitions".

I guess she does have a thing for old white men though.

Prediction - Kamals loses in 2024 and Whitmer & Shapiro win in 2028.
You thought Kamala Harris was so unpresidential she wasn’t even suitable to be Joe Biden’s running mate. Lots of others would agree she is not “presidential”.

Mike Pence was plainly not “presidential”. Joe Biden took 3 attempts and 32 years to convince his own party he was “presidential” enough to win.

Before that you had Dick Cheney, Al Gore and Dan Quayle, and that takes us through the 90s. Do you seriously think the majority of them fit the bill for being “presidential”?

Vice presidents are famously irrelevant. The last two were absolute ghosts in the administration. It seems like you want to indulge the vacuous thought while blaming it on some imaginary US criteria that rarely applies.

Kamala Harris is the perfect example of a person who goes up the ladder step by step: District Attorney, General Attorney, Senator, Vice President… and maybe President.

I think that's a mistake here. My preference for Walz isn't so much policy based (even though I align with him more). Shapiro's capable and a good orator, but I don't think he's as persuasive a speaker and interviewee as Walz. There's an authenticity and relatability to Walz that I think plays better with folk than the slick proclamations of yet another well oiled, well rehearsed lawyer.

Just the way I see it of course.
I'm pretty far away from all this, but that's my impression as well. Walz sounds like a normal dude when he's talking, while Shapiro always has this rhetorical style and word salad thing going on that they seem to teach at US universities. (Or at least, I've never heard it done quite as 'well' as by US academics.) I don't know how those things appeal to common voters, but Walz's appearance definitely appeals more to me.