2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Probably didnt think it was likely that Harris would pick a woman.

There's also a bit of long term political calculus at play. If Harris loses (a distinct possibility), then the entire Obama/Biden construct is done in the Dem party, and the likes of Newsom, Shapiro, Whitmer, and maybe one or two others will become the new generation who wouldn't be stained by Harris. Newsom and Shapiro in particular would become very strong candidates at that point.

If its a Palin type pick then yes I would agree, but Shapiro is the rising star of the party and tipped to be a leading future POTUS candidate, so between his own popularity and his rising star within the party, it would've been a very safe pick. Walz may wind up being safe as well, in that he should be able to resonate among PA audiences (especially the rural ones) and Shapiro can contribute a lot in the Philly suburbs, where his own support is the strongest.

Walz being older, and certainly looks the part, won't be as much of a threat in 8 years time should Harris win, compared to somebody like Shapiro.

Motives aren't strictly this election, differenct factions wants a level playing field come 28/32.

He probably feels really bummed out, so yeah, good statement.
Understandably so, but when it comes to when he himself could have a go at the Presidency, I'm not sure this pick really changes it much. He couldn't have been on the top of the ticket until 2028 anyway, and that would only be if Harris loses this year. If he was picked as VP he would have been part of that, which isn't necessarily a great starting point.

Yep it do be like that.

Why are you against him?

Well I voted for him because he promised to give me free healthcare, improve schooling for my children, give me a living wage, give me paid medical leave and paid paternity/maternity leave.

Yes and he has done all those things!

I know but he’s also given everyone else free healthcare, improved schooling for their children, given them a living wage, given them paid medical leave and given them paid paternity/maternity leave! He’s a god damn communist spending my hard earned tax dollars on everyone else!

Somewhat related and think I’ve mentioned it before on here, but I remember watching a couple being interviewed back when Trump was running the first time.

The husband was a coal miner I think and suffered from black lung, only able to afford his life saving medicine because of Obama Care. Trump campaigned on getting rid of said Obama Care, but the couple stood firm that they’d vote Trump because he’d probably come up with something better.

It’s a long time ago, and I’m paraphrasing somewhat, but I remember being astounded.

The leadership of the Bernie left wanted Biden to be the candidate. @berbatrick has mentioned this before that the progressives can be easily won back over to the party with a few mild policy hints.

Progressives will vote for him anyway imo, since many of his policies sync up with theirs, and indeed, he is considered one. The only outlier being Israel policy, which isn't likely to change given that Harris and Biden are nearly in lock step on Israel.

Speaking of the other VP candidate, effective as it is calling him weird and creepy, i don't really the case often being made why he is even there in the first place, why did Trump need a new VP pick, why didn't Pence and Trump get along?

We all know the answer to that question, but somehow its not talked about anymore...

Im sure Harris and Walz will be reminding the country of the fact that Trump supporters wanted his last VP hung and that the majority of Trumps cabinet stood down and dont endorse him. Despite Trump "picking all the best people".

Progressives will vote for him anyway imo, since many of his policies sync up with theirs, and indeed, he is considered one. The only outlier being Israel policy, which isn't likely to change given that Harris and Biden are nearly in lock step on Israel.
Walz is seen differently on Israel than Shapiro. We can argue any way that we want, but some people will make the distinction between him and Shapiro. Harris knew that too, and maybe also knows things that we don’t know.

Walz is seen differently on Israel than Shapiro. We can argue any way that we want, but some people will make the distinction between him and Shapiro. Harris knew that too, and maybe also knows things that we don’t know.

He clearly isn't seen differently given he supports the same policies and is already being criticized by the same people who criticized Shapiro

He clearly isn't seen differently given he has the same policies and is already being criticized by the same people who criticized Shapiro
No, the people who criticised Shapiro are celebrating. You're looking at outliers.

Just comes off as a bit desperate. Too transparent.

Pretty sure they view this as a reprieve on remaining competitive in PA. That would've been much more difficult if the Governor of PA was on the ticket. Trump probably also thinks he can now comfortably brand both Dems as left wing libs from now until November.

He clearly isn't seen differently given he supports the same policies and is already being criticized by the same people who criticized Shapiro
Maybe he supports the same policies, but did he say something about the campus protests? Did he join the IDF, etc.? If I’m not mistaken, the answer is no, but I’m had to be corrected.

Pretty sure they view this as a reprieve on remaining competitive in PA. That would've been much more difficult if the Governor of PA was on the ticket. Trump probably also thinks he can now comfortably brand both Dems as left wing libs from now until November.
If so, the Trump campaign also haven’t understood that the VP pick doesn’t historically help in his/her home state.

The branding would have been the same either way.

I think hes a great choice based on the 30 second interview i've seen of him. So that means nothing i guess. Then again a lot of American voters are probably as oblivious as me so maybe not?

In the end, every potential pick had pros and cons.

Shapiro: can deliver PA, but has some baggage as discussed here many times.

Walz: from Minnesota, which may be closer than it should be, but not an entirely swing state, he’s not that young, etc.

Kelly: many good things, but not the most appealing in the Midwest, could cost us a senate seat, etc. Independents who like guns may not like him either, fair or not.

Whitmer: she was by far my favorite person to be on TOP of the ticket when Biden dropped. But two women on the same ticket would be very risky. That’s just the reality of it.

Beshear: multiple good things to say (young, Dem who won in KY by a good margin), but KY is not a target and he may need more time to build a profile.

(You can add more anecdotes; I just listed some)

In the end, there was not THAT perfect candidate to pick, and Harris picked the one that would help her the most, or at least hurt the least. It’s a good choice given the circumstances and the options.

It’s rather weird also that throughout this process, not once did Newsom name came up. If Harris wins the election then that’s his presidential aspirations gone, since she will be the nominee in 28 and he will be 64 in 32 with his stint as Governor long in the rear view mirror. Senator Newsom just don’t quite have the same ring.

If she loses, well, there might not be an election in 28.

It’s rather weird also that throughout this process, not once did Newsom name came up. If Harris wins the election then that’s his presidential aspirations gone, since she will be the nominee in 28 and he will be 64 in 32 with his stint as Governor long in the rear view mirror. Senator Newsom just don’t quite have the same ring.

Not weird at all, but rather makes sense. She was never going to select another Californian.

Besides that, I agree. His presidential aspirations will be gone if she wins this year. But that’s the least important thing at this point.

Not weird at all, but rather makes sense. She was never going to select another Californian.

Besides that, I agree. His presidential aspirations will be gone if she wins this year. But that’s the least important thing at this point.
It'd be a nice bonus.

I don't think the VP can be from the same state as the President.

My hero*Joe Manchin weighs in:

BKzmzN3.jpeg

*Not my hero

I don't think the VP can be from the same state as the President.
They can, the EV of said state just won’t count under the 12th amendment, although that has never been challenged in court.

Cheney got around that in 2000 by selling his Dallas home and getting a Wyoming driver license: