2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

I think there are better times to deploy this spiel about political realities than now, a few days after liberals/Democrats had to switch their presidential candidate after being the last people on earth to realize that you cannot campaign to win the presidency with an 80-year-old who the overwhelming majority of voters find too old. No shame in getting things wrong, but it is annoying when it is paired with repeated lessons about how everyone else is 'being unrealistic' or whatever.
I guess that I am sorry that my question doesn’t align with your scheduling.

Oh, and I would be super interested if you could point me to where on this Caf this group Dem and Lib exists that was all on the Biden train. Pretty sure most, if not all, of us, were most assuredly not. Rolling with the only candidate you have after the primaries is not the same as being the "last people on earth.....".
You are a perfect example of what I'm talking about:
your continued refusal to acknowledge the reality of the situation is exasperating. This is not a fairy tale where the hero can rub a magic lamp and Michelle Obama is suddenly running for president. In November, bar one or both of the two old dudes kicking the bucket, we will have a binary choice. Pragmatically understanding that is not cultism, it’s acknowledging that the situation is not ideal and choosing the best option for the real world.
Here you are confidently lecturing people about the reality of the situation and yet your assessment of reality was completely wrong. Biden did not die and isn't the nominee.

Within the context of the election, which this thread is about, I’m still waiting to hear how a candidate can campaign to win the presidency while also supporting flag burning, vandalism, and attacking police.

By ignoring it?
Many things happened that day, including a speech which was the cause of those "vandals" being in town. She could have made a statement on the speech, like Pelosi or Bernie did. Or on the protests inside. Or on the arrested family members inside.

She chose to make her statement about the "vandals" outside. It's probably fine for her election. As I said before, most voters are passively pro-genocide, few people have red lines. Having Biden policies come from someone who can pretend to give a damn will win a lot of young voters who follow primarily the aesthetics of the situation.

I'm not sure if staying silent would have lost her any support, but I guess she wanted to show she was on the right side of history :)
Is this where it's worth pointing out that her party invited that man to give the speech?

I guess that I am sorry that my question doesn’t align with your scheduling.
I thought it was a facile question. Boiling down the issue to 'flag burning and vandalism' leads the answer in one direction.

A recent Harvard CAPS/Harris poll found that 25% of Democratic and 20% of Independent respondents favor Hamas over Israel. One might also wonder how a campaign can win by treating this 20-25% as "abhorrent".

You are a perfect example of what I'm talking about:

Here you are confidently lecturing people about "the reality of the situation" and yet your assessment of reality was completely wrong. Biden did not die and isn't the nominee.
ok, fine, I forgot to add “or in a move unseen in American politics before, one of the candidates will step down”, but that is not the same as being unable to see Biden was incapable of winning let alone governing. I thought that then, I thought that when I voted undecided in the primary, and I thought that last Sunday morning. But whatever, you got me, I was wrong in my assessment.

So let’s learn from that success and apply it to Gaza. What drove that was strong and constant political pressure on Biden, reaching a crescendo at the debate and culminating in all the elites turning against him. This week was a chance to shift the narrative on Gaza, and instead of leveraging the Dems skipping the speech and the protests in the rotunda, the talking points are violence and vandalism. How is that going to move things?

I thought it was a facile question. Boiling down the issue to 'flag burning and vandalism' leads the answer in one direction.

A recent Harvard CAPS/Harris poll found that 25% of Democratic and 20% of Independent respondents favor Hamas over Israel. One might also wonder how a campaign can win by treating this 20-25% as "abhorrent".
One might also wonder how a campaign can win by ignoring something that an even greater percentage likely considers abhorrent.

Boiling down the issue to 'flag burning and vandalism' leads the answer in one direction.
Well, there’s a campaign on, you know? Would you expect the possible GOP attack ads to be nuanced?
Because it leaves 75-80% of each that don’t…

I’m sorry, but you’re the 2nd person to suggest that today and I can’t bring myself to believe that yall are being serious.

My second line is full of stuff that she did ignore. With no disbelief on your part.
It's her choice what to talk about. Both strategically (do I want to focus on an issue that could divide my base?) and more broadly (do I want to signal a change in emphasis?), and for me the signals from her choice of what to make a statement about, and the statement itself, are clear.

She clearly got a bump after announcing. Expecting a couple of more smaller ones when Obama endorses and then when she names her VP. And likely a third after the convention. I think the Dems are doing the smart thing by spacing all of these out a bit so Trump's negative attacks are constantly met with positive news.

Within the context of the election, which this thread is about, I’m still waiting to hear how a candidate can campaign to win the presidency while also supporting flag burning, vandalism, and attacking police.
This goes to my original point of complete moral bankruptcy.

You can become president by supporting genocide.

You can't become president if you don't speak out against flag burning.

I'm sure you realize how fecked up it is.

It’s not a fecking coping mechanism, it’s reality. You want the US government to stop enabling genocide? Stop giving their leaders excuses to avoid doing so, it’s not that difficult a concept.

As to you second paragraph? Absolutely I would say to their face that peaceful actions were the only path forward, except they were already peacefully protesting in the rotunda, a fact that was barely covered because some dumbfecks were doing stupid shit. And where do you get off saying that I have intimated that the president “had no choice but to commit genocide”? He had every choice and made the worst possible choice.

And finally, no desperation on my part, just pointing out how no country, especially the former colonial ones, are innocent. Where do you think America learned its genocidal lessons from?
Your first paragraph is just the guy turning into a nazi meme. Poor politicians, they really wanted to stop genocide, but because a handful of protesters burned a flag and painted a hamas graffiti, they have no choice but to continue to bomb children. Makes zero sense and you know it.

You said it indirectly. You said they shouldn't support genocide but they have to appease israel to win elections. I mean, these are literally contradictory positions.

Portugal's past is irrelevant here, because I am not defending it. So bringing it up was just a poor attempt at a cheap shot.

It's amazing the number of people less animated by the destruction of Gaza than by unproductive protest methods.

Your first paragraph is just the guy turning into a nazi meme. Poor politicians, they really wanted to stop genocide, but because a handful of protesters burned a flag and painted a hamas graffiti, they have no choice but to continue to bomb children. Makes zero sense and you know it.

You said it indirectly. You said they shouldn't support genocide but they have to appease israel to win elections. I mean, these are literally contradictory positions.

Portugal's past is irrelevant here, because I am not defending it. So bringing it up was just a poor attempt at a cheap shot.
Nazi reference? Nice. Godwin remains undefeated.

Your first paragraph is in no way an encapsulation of my point and you know it. Biden is the only one who can change the US course at this moment and the way to push Biden is to build a coalition of Dem politicians and leaders to put pressure on him. The speech was the first time a large block of them offered some semblance of a spine. Those same politicians are mostly cowards and will bail the first time they feel their reelection is jeopardy. They are cowards, that is who and what they are.

Last edited:
This goes to my original point of complete moral bankruptcy.

You can become president by supporting genocide.

You can't become president if you don't speak out against flag burning.

I'm sure you realize how fecked up it is.
Yes I do, but the reality is what it is. Supporting or ignoring flag burning and vandalism isn’t a vote winning strategy.

I am not much into American Politics but reading a few things ...Is this Trump's election to lose? Harris has got any chance?

I am not much into American Politics but reading a few things ...Is this Trump's election to lose? Harris has got any chance?
Starting to look like a toss-up. Trump still has a slight edge in the polls but it’s tightening and Harris is on the up so yes, she has a definite chance. Very difficult to predict where it’s heading right now.

Harris statement after meeting with Bibi. Pretty much a continuation of the Biden policy.

She did says she's concerned with suffering but it doesnt go along with US funding Israel and arming them to the hilt.

Not to mention clapping to Netanyahu lies in the Congress which was appaling to see.

She did says she's concerned with suffering but it doesnt go along with US funding Israel and arming them to the hilt.

Not to mention clapping to Netanyahu lies in the Congress which was appaling to see.

Yeah kinda both siding it a bit. She and Biden will need to produce a ceasefire to guarantee they get Michigan.

The Muslim community is prevalent there i.e Rashida Tlaib.
It's about 1% - 2% of the population.

The Muslim population in Michighan is concentrated in the Greater Detroit area - Dearborn, Sterling heights, Detroit etc. - overall it's not that significant. However, the margins can be small so the Dems need as many traditional democratic votes as they can.

I still don’t get what the origin is, because it’s definitely not in his book right? Some internet dweeb just made it up?
I don't know what to believe and haven't bothered to verify yet. Saw some screenshot on Twitter of the specific page where Vance describes the couch thing but could have been fake.

Ok, I checked it. It is false, there is no page in Vance' book where he describes an erotic scene with a couch. Some shitpost went viral and then it took a life of its own.

And the AP "fact checking" a meme shitpost didn't do Vance favors either.

Looks more and more like Vance was picked solely for that tech-bro donor cash.

Looks more and more like Vance was picked solely for that tech-bro donor cash.
I think it was a calculation feckup. Trump’s campaign thought that Biden will be the nominee, and polls were putting Trump win against Biden in a landslide. Thus they picked the person with views closest to Trump, who also would bring some massive donor cash from the PayPal mafia.

With Dems changing the nominee, the election now looks far closer (albeit Trump being still favorite), and thus a VP that appeals to other parts of population might have been a better choice when it comes to elections.

I think it was a calculation feckup. Trump’s campaign thought that Biden will be the nominee, and polls were putting Trump win against Biden in a landslide. Thus they picked the person with views closest to Trump, who also would bring some massive donor cash from the PayPal mafia.

With Dems changing the nominee, the election now looks far closer (albeit Trump being still favorite), and thus a VP that appeals to other parts of population might have been a better choice when it comes to elections.
That's a massive feck up if true, I think everyone except Biden knew he would have to stand down at some point, the pressure was just too great and growing daily.

Heard something about his kids convinced Trump Sr to pick Vance over other candidates, including Doug Burgum, could have something to do with them wanting a less establishment-candidate and more Trump-like, yes.

But then, does Vance have any real beliefs? He has changed his beliefs a lot over just recent years, sounds more like opportunism to me.