2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

About the congressmen who skipped, I have a pessimistic view of the bolded line. The line from Bernie (who is extremely on the left of the rest of the senate on this) has focused on Netanyahu's personal culpability, his personal extreme-right nature, etc. I saw a few other statements and they all focus on him. It's a start, but it's about 20 years in the past. Bibi's views on Palestine are the centre of Israeli politics, not the right. Bibi is also somebody who personally snubbed the Democratic party repeatedly, including, in public, from the same podium, their previous president. I'm not sure this ratio of withdrawal, or support for a (redefined in an Orwellian way) ceasefire, would have held up under a less personally noxious Israeli leader.
And to back up my impression that this is about Bibi and not a ceasefire, almost all the senators and a majority of the House reps who skipped, voted to fund Israel with billions in weapons this April.

For the second part: Simultaneously yesterday, there was an absolutely Gandhian* protest within the Capitol by JVP. They filed in, sat, and were duly arrested, including family members of some of the Israeli hostages. They got little publicity outside already-committed social media, made no impact, and weren't mentioned or singled out for praise by the president, VP, or anyone else. Do you think that protest would have made any politician change their minds? Quake in their boots? Get persuaded? In general, there have been a lot of protests for Palestine -much, much larger ones - that didn't have the scenes from yesterday. I don't see them moving the needle on an ongoing genocide a single bit. The vote totals from Congress for weapons sales are proof of that.

The analogy with Biden stepping down is interesting, but for me doesn't work. There was a vested interest there - power - which doesn't apply here. Keeping BIden at the top was a guaranteed loss of the White House and was very likely going to also be a bloodbath in the House.
Withdrawing support for this genocide would mean the full weight of the Israel lobby and overwhelming majority of the media would immediately try to end you. And in terms of voters among the Democratic base, you can gain some young voters and Arabs who consider this important enough to not vote, while losing some older Jewish voters who might defect if policy is changed. Just because a majority of the country is pro-ceasefire, that doesn't make it a frightening political constituency, because they have no financial or institutional leverage and limited electoral leverage. Swapping out Biden for Harris also helps avoid this issue, because enough young voters are flaky and aesthetic-driven that the same policy from her could be tolerable or ignored by them.

I agree that the upward trajectory for Israel support among the US public and politicians is over, but the downward trajectory is slow, and I don't see it moving before Israel has finished whatever pacification it thinks is enough.
In the meantime there is an ongoing genocide. As I said in the Palestine thread, the only (inadequate) force standing in the way of that genocide is Hamas. Iranian-made Hamas RPGs have stopped more Israeli tanks that protesters, the ICC, ICJ, the UN, though of course they cannot keep up with the weapons replenishment rate from the US, Germany, and India. What we're left with in these protests is impotent rage.

*A tangent: whatever success Gandhi achieved wasn't just because tens of thousands passively getting thrashed and arrested or passively shot dead - it was because the strategy was non-cooperation and civil disobedience on a massive scale. Resigning govt jobs, boycott of foreign goods, refusing to pay taxes, breaking unjust laws, general strikes, etc, all on a nationwide scale. And there was often violence accompanying such a massive movement, including burning govt buildings and destroying telegraph and train lines.

To the bolded bit from your post I honestly do not know if it could have made a difference, but a big part of why that was not covered even a little bit more is because the actions of the other protestors (assaulting police, burning flag, etc.) was way more interesting to the media and therefore got the coverage.

The Biden analogy is imperfect, but I do think it holds more weight than you think. The reason for this is that much of what needs to be done can be done out of the view of the world, but right now there is a leader in Biden who does not have the personal will to do those things. If enough private pressure was brought to bear on Harris she might, now that she is the candidate, be able to affect change.

All that being said, I honestly have no idea on how to change the course the US is on as we are inextricably to Israel and there seems to be no interest in separating how we (the leaders in the US) view Israel from how we view her leaders.

A rated pollster

Based on the various polls hitting in the last day or two, it seems Harris and Trump are pretty much even, which means she will need to gain another 4-5 points to win.

Harris having solid leads in NH and Maine in recent polling, not something that should be worth talking about, but Biden kinda made them both close in recent times.

NH +7 and Maine +9 are quite close to the margins dems won the states by in 2020.

Last edited:
Ted Cruz, the wart that resurfaces on a different finger months later.

I know he always had a seat in Texas, because i mean, Texas is always going to disappoint, but it must be kinda sad to be Cruz, his life ambition was becoming president, then Trump ended his presidential ambitions and now relegated to a mere cheerleader, nobody really cares about him anymore.

I know he always had a seat in Texas, because i mean, Texas is always going to disappoint, but it must be kinda sad to be Cruz, his life ambition was becoming president, then Trump ended his presidential ambitions and now relegated to a mere cheerleader, nobody really cares about him anymore.

It's gotta sting that an odious creature like Trump eviscerated him nationally and he later crawled back to lick the boots of his victorious rival. I suspect Cruz's kids have little affection for him.

A rated pollster

Based on the various polls hitting in the last day or two, it seems Harris and Trump are pretty much even, which means she will need to gain another 4-5 points to win.

4-5 is probably a bit extreme. I think a 2 pt lead for Harris would be basically dead even. There has already been some encouraging polls in Georgia which have her within a point, and that's on the national vote being as close as it is.

4-5 is probably a bit extreme. I think a 2 pt lead for Harris would be basically dead even. There has already been some encouraging polls in Georgia which have her within a point, and that's on the national vote being as close as it is.

Biden won the popular vote by 4.5 and barely squeaked by in the EC. She is therefore going to need at least comparable numbers to offset the popular vote disparity that is lopsidedly weighted towards including California and New York. Therefore if all she can muster is plus 2 in the national popular vote, chances are she will get swept in all the rust belt states and Trump will win the EC by 70-100.

Biden won the popular vote by 4.5 and barely squeaked by in the EC. She is therefore going to need at least comparable numbers to offset the popular vote disparity that is lopsidedly weighted towards including California and New York. Therefore if all she can muster is plus 2 in the national popular vote, chances are she will get swept in all the rust belt states and Trump will win the EC by 70-100.
Depends on where she gets turnout. Could be a very different landscape to Biden. More like Clinton.

Biden won by over 70 EVs, Harris can afford to lose 2 big states or 3 smaller ones to still make 270 compared to the map in 2020.

Biden won by over 70 EVs, Harris can afford to lose 2 big states or 3 smaller ones to still make 270 compared to the map in 2020.

He barely squeaked by in about 4 states. Trump could’ve just as easily won despite Biden winning the popular by 4.

Depends on where she gets turnout. Could be a very different landscape to Biden. More like Clinton.

Very possible. Her winning the popular by a couple and losing the EC should be a lesson learned for Dems who think winning the popular by 1 or 2 would be sufficient for an EC win.

Very possible. Her winning the popular by a couple and losing the EC should be a lesson learned for Dems who think winning the popular by 1 or 2 would be sufficient for an EC win.

What lesson is there to learn, that the US has an election system that rewards some rural losers over where people actually live? I think that has been clear for a long time.

Not much dems can do about it, the system is what it is, and is almost impossible to update.

AD_4nXe_s4isxh7n3jWHOcdWioKxteBfuNN3BCnX9MJ-3K6TnnYUVfLSpjLmg7VaY1rI9NvVUUDdTQHwZyJDhgRdYhrOl0pUBwtBWtqUGHSigNXHH3Bl7jmNg9gS6Bm9oZ9NSnElofAIwMVf60RKMPd0wW8dyc-T

I believe a lead of 4 or 5 points or more would be safe for her, at this point or so. However, the outcome will depend on the turnout in a few swing states. It's hard to see how a lead of around 2 points would make those swing states viable for her, especially considering that states like Michigan and Pennsylvania seem to have shifted since 2020. In particular, Michigan has seen changes among Arab and Muslim voters.

People who complain about the Electoral College being unfair should just give up at this point. It can seem unfair, especially from a Democratic or progressive perspective because they want to win all the time but the system also aims to represent the other side. Overall, it's not performing too poorly for either side in general. I would think most essential governance happens at the state level, while the issues at the federal level often get more attention and mostly are just for show.

Last edited:
It's quite baffling that people can understand the minutia and strategy of political actions and write long and rich worded paragraphs about it with such confidence, but at the same time don't understand that desperate and ignored people might resort to destroying property when they see a community they identify with literally being blown to pieces.

Politicians must be understood because their hands are tied by the political game, they need to support genocide to win elections.

Protestors against genocide must be criticized because their methods might be counterproductive.

It's the complete moral bankruptcy of the country's political elite.

It's quite baffling that people can understand the minutia and strategy of political actions and write long and rich worded paragraphs about it with such confidence, but at the same time don't understand that desperate and ignored people might resort to destroying property when they see a community they identify with literally being blown to pieces.

Politicians must be understood because their hands are tied by the political game, they need to support genocide to win elections.

Protestors against genocide must be criticized because their methods might be counterproductive.

It's the complete moral bankruptcy of the country's political elite.
I mean…. Yes? Seriously, what fantasy land do you live in where doing shit that pisses off the very people who hold the fate of something important to you is a good strategy.

I mean…. Yes? Seriously, what fantasy land do you live in where doing shit that pisses off the very people who hold the fate of something important to you is a good strategy.
Mate, you need to get this into your head. Nothing is going to change the current genocide. There is literally nothing anyone can do to change it. Gandhi, Mandela and MLK could come back from the dead and beg harris to stop the genocide and she would still keep sending bombs to kill children.

So honestly, feck strategy, these people are angry, hopeless and powerless. Asking them to be rational is honestly insulting at this point.

And I'm glad I don't live in the same land as you, where making excuses for genocidal maniacs is seen as a necessity.

Mate, you need to get this into your head. Nothing is going to change the current genocide. There is literally nothing anyone can do to change it. Gandhi, Mandela and MLK could come back from the dead and beg harris to stop the genocide and she would still keep sending bombs to kill children.

So honestly, feck strategy, these people are angry, hopeless and powerless. Asking them to be rational is honestly insulting at this point.

And I'm glad I don't live in the same land as you, where making excuses for genocidal maniacs is seen as a necessity.

With that attitude you’re right, nothing changes. Gaza is fecked, might as well quit and burn some shit.

And yes, you’re right, you may not live on my shitty country, but you live in a country that perpetrated untold horrors on a global scale for multiple centuries. Basically, countries suck and do shitty, self interest crap and it takes work, real and slow work to make changes.

With that attitude you’re right, nothing changes. Gaza is fecked, might as well quit and burn some shit.

And yes, you’re right, you may not live on my shitty country, but you live in a country that perpetrated untold horrors on a global scale for multiple centuries. Basically, countries suck and do shitty, self interest crap and it takes work, real and slow work to make changes.

I guess you need the coping mechanism. The blame lies on angry people, not those supporting these shit criminal politicians.

By the way, do you know that those arrested at the protest are all family members of hamas' victims? Would you tell them to their face what you're saying here? That the president has no choice but to commit genocide and they should just rethink their methods?

And the desperation is pretty obvious when you need to go back centuries to have a go at my country. Which to be honest I don't care, I'm not a patriot. For me the life of a portuguese, an american, an israeli or a gazan child all have the same value. It's sad that this is not true for most americans.

What lesson is there to learn, that the US has an election system that rewards some rural losers over where people actually live? I think that has been clear for a long time.

Not much dems can do about it, the system is what it is, and is almost impossible to update.

Rural loser? That's harsh mate.

Just because you live in the city doesnt make your vote means more.

This reasoning is equally valid for literally any protest targeting politicians, ever, and that should be reason enough to discard it.

I believe a lead of 4 or 5 points or more would be safe for her, at this point or so. However, the outcome will depend on the turnout in a few swing states. It's hard to see how a lead of around 2 points would make those swing states viable for her, especially considering that states like Michigan and Pennsylvania seem to have shifted since 2020. In particular, Michigan has seen changes among Arab and Muslim voters.

People who complain about the Electoral College being unfair should just give up at this point. It can seem unfair, especially from a Democratic or progressive perspective because they want to win all the time but the system also aims to represent the other side. Overall, it's not performing too poorly for either side in general. I would think most essential governance happens at the state level, while the issues at the federal level often get more attention and mostly are just for show.
This is true in my experience. Some states will protect you from Trumpism much better than others. Choose your abode carefully.

I guess you need the coping mechanism. The blame lies on angry people, not those supporting these shit criminal politicians.

By the way, do you know that those arrested at the protest are all family members of hamas' victims? Would you tell them to their face what you're saying here? That the president has no choice but to commit genocide and they should just rethink their methods?

And the desperation is pretty obvious when you need to go back centuries to have a go at my country. Which to be honest I don't care, I'm not a patriot. For me the life of a portuguese, an american, an israeli or a gazan child all have the same value. It's sad that this is not true for most americans.
It’s not a fecking coping mechanism, it’s reality. You want the US government to stop enabling genocide? Stop giving their leaders excuses to avoid doing so, it’s not that difficult a concept.

As to you second paragraph? Absolutely I would say to their face that peaceful actions were the only path forward, except they were already peacefully protesting in the rotunda, a fact that was barely covered because some dumbfecks were doing stupid shit. And where do you get off saying that I have intimated that the president “had no choice but to commit genocide”? He had every choice and made the worst possible choice.

And finally, no desperation on my part, just pointing out how no country, especially the former colonial ones, are innocent. Where do you think America learned its genocidal lessons from?

To the bolded bit from your post I honestly do not know if it could have made a difference, but a big part of why that was not covered even a little bit more is because the actions of the other protestors (assaulting police, burning flag, etc.) was way more interesting to the media and therefore got the coverage.

The Biden analogy is imperfect, but I do think it holds more weight than you think. The reason for this is that much of what needs to be done can be done out of the view of the world, but right now there is a leader in Biden who does not have the personal will to do those things. If enough private pressure was brought to bear on Harris she might, now that she is the candidate, be able to affect change.

All that being said, I honestly have no idea on how to change the course the US is on as we are inextricably to Israel and there seems to be no interest in separating how we (the leaders in the US) view Israel from how we view her leaders.

Well, the reason I'm skeptical of that JVP protest making any impact at all is because the exact same protest has been happening at Grand Central in New York, practically every weekend. And has made no impact. At all.

> As to you second paragraph? Absolutely I would say to their face that peaceful actions were the only path forward, except they were already peacefully protesting in the rotunda, a fact that was barely covered because some dumbfecks were doing stupid shit

The media and political leadership do have agency. They can choose to report the kafkaesque spectavle of the 5 people arrested from within Bibi's hall all being family members of the hostages. They could focus on the images from outside the hall within the capitol of JVP arrested for sitting down. The framing and priority given to the story inside and outside is in their hands.
You have seen in the university protests how the media and politicians covered for the fact that, for example, pro-Israel outsiders repeatedly assaulted UCLA student protestors, that Columbia protestors were hit by an Israeli student with chemicals that didn't leave their skin and clothes for months, that there were snipers on the roof of Indiana University, that almost all violence-related charges against the protestors have been quietly dropped months after their reputation, career, and life was destroyed. They didn't cover any of that. You're living in some fantasy where a polite protest makes politicians happy and the media sympathetic. No. There are actual ideological and material factors here.

The US is an active party to genocide. A child bled to death over hours, on the phone with her mother and doctors, while the bullets I paid for shot up the ambulances approaching her. I'm glad the people in DC had the guts and heart to demonstrate what the US is. Balls which I lack.
I - and you - belong in jail, at best in a re-education camp.

Last edited:
Well, the reason I'm skeptical of that JVP protest making any impact at all is because the exact same protest has been happening at Grand Central in New York, practically every weekend. And has made no impact. At all.

> As to you second paragraph? Absolutely I would say to their face that peaceful actions were the only path forward, except they were already peacefully protesting in the rotunda, a fact that was barely covered because some dumbfecks were doing stupid shit

The media and political leadership do have agency. They can choose to report the kafkaesque spectavle of the 5 people arrested from within Bibi's hall all being family members of the hostages. They could focus on the images from outside the hall within the capitol of JVP arrested for sitting down. The framing and priority given to the story inside and outside is in their hands.
You have seen in the university protests how the media and politicians covered for the fact that, for example, pro-Israel outsiders repeatedly assaulted UCLA student protestors, that Columbia protestors were hit by an Israeli student with chemicals that didn't leave their skin and clothes for months, that there were snipers on the roof of Indiana University, that almost all violence-related charges against the protestors have been quietly dropped months after their reputation, career, and life was destroyed. They didn't cover any of that. You're living in some fantasy where a polite protest makes politicians happy and the media sympathetic. No. There are actual ideological and material factors here.

The US is an active party to genocide. A child bled to death over hours, on the phone with her mother and doctors, while the bullets I paid for shot up the ambulances approaching her. I'm glad the people in DC had the guts and heart to demonstrate what the US is. I - and you - belong in jail.
Absolutely they do, and they are all failing us. I'm not out here defending the media or the politicians, in fact I will unequivocally say, again, that they are almost, to a person, failing us. Whether it be for votes or ratings, their goal is not to better the world, or even the US, but instead to enhance themselves. These are people that need little excuse to avoid doing what is right in the service of doing what is advantageous to them and those they are beholden to. My only comment was that those in search of change can not merely be on the side of what is right and just, but that they must also be as close to perfect in their actions as possible. What the family members did was noble and what needs to be done. What the college protesters did was by and large brave and just. But in both cases, instead of those people leading the news they were relegated, at best, to the end of the show as those who purported to be acting in their name gave the media and politicians the red meat they desired.

You talk about polite and peaceful protest not making change possible.. I would ask you to point me towards meaningful change that happened in this country in the last 100 years where the driving force was violence or rage. That is simply not how change happens.

The US government is indeed an active participant in genocide, and if you want to go to jail for that then go for it. If you truly feel that way then I would expect you are on your way to turn yourself into the ICC, right?

Absolutely they do, and they are all failing us. I'm not out here defending the media or the politicians, in fact I will unequivocally say, again, that they are almost, to a person, failing us. Whether it be for votes or ratings, their goal is not to better the world, or even the US, but instead to enhance themselves. These are people that need little excuse to avoid doing what is right in the service of doing what is advantageous to them and those they are beholden to. My only comment was that those in search of change can not merely be on the side of what is right and just, but that they must also be as close to perfect in their actions as possible. What the family members did was noble and what needs to be done. What the college protesters did was by and large brave and just. But in both cases, instead of those people leading the news they were relegated, at best, to the end of the show as those who purported to be acting in their name gave the media and politicians the red meat they desired.

You talk about polite and peaceful protest not making change possible.. I would ask you to point me towards meaningful change that happened in this country in the last 100 years where the driving force was violence or rage. That is simply not how change happens.

The US government is indeed an active participant in genocide, and if you want to go to jail for that then go for it. If you truly feel that way then I would expect you are on your way to turn yourself into the ICC, right?

As I said, I don't have the guts to do what the people in DC did. I'm selfish, and care about my job, my future, my visa, etc. I'm not standing on some moral high ground here. Recognising that, I'm absolutely not going to - ever - question the actions of braver, better people. I'm going to question those who have authority instead.

A jail sentence for me would absolutely be deserved.
Forget jail, by Israeli standards, which I obviously don't agree with, I would also be a legitimate military target as a financial sponsor.

As I said, I don't have the guts to do what the people in DC did. I'm selfish, and care about my job, my future, my visa, etc. I'm not standing on some moral high ground here. Recognising that, I'm absolutely not going to - ever - question the actions of braver, better people. I'm going to question those who have authority instead.

A jail sentence for me would absolutely be deserved.
Forget jail, by Israeli standards, which I obviously don't agree with, I would also be a legitimate military target as a financial sponsor.
Attacking police officers is not brave. Setting fire to a flag is not brave. Defacing monuments is not brave. What those family members did is brave. What the protesters, especially hostage family members, do in Israel is brave. Peacefully standing up to authority is brave. Wearing a mask and smashing a cop from behind is not brave, and if you think that is bravery and a valid tactic to protest Gaza then we are on vastly different sides of the equation.

Within the context of the election, which this thread is about, I’m still waiting to hear how a candidate can campaign to win the presidency while also supporting flag burning, vandalism, and attacking police.

Within the context of the election, which this thread is about, I’m still waiting to hear how a candidate can campaign to win the presidency while also supporting flag burning, vandalism, and attacking police.
I think there are better times to deploy this spiel about political realities than now, a few days after liberals/Democrats had to switch their presidential candidate after being the last people on earth to realize that you cannot campaign to win the presidency with an 80-year-old who the overwhelming majority of voters find too old. No shame in getting things wrong, but it is annoying when it is paired with repeated lessons about how everyone else is 'being unrealistic' or whatever.

I think there are better times to deploy this spiel about political realities than now, a few days after liberals/Democrats had to jettison their presidential candidate because they were the last people on earth to realize that you cannot campaign to win the presidency with an 80-year-old who the overwhelming majority of voters find too old. No shame in getting things wrong, but it is annoying when it is paired with repeated lessons about how everyone else is 'being unrealistic' or whatever.

So no strategy recommendations?

Oh, and I would be super interested if you could point me to where on this Caf this group Dem and Lib exists that was all on the Biden train. Pretty sure most, if not all, of us, were most assuredly not. Rolling with the only candidate you have after the primaries is not the same as being the "last people on earth.....".