2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Surely any challenger to Harris has to come out quick.

Interesting Obamas didnt endorse her yet.
I think the only chance of it being someone other than Harris was if Biden didn't endorse. Everyone vaguely mainstream will back her within a couple of days.

Except for Vance doesn't actually believe half the things he himself says. He was a never Trumper as recently as 5 years ago and only switched to the dark side when he figured out it would be advantageous to his political career. He is therefore a total charlatan.

Same with Trump himself! He doesn't believe what he says, he is just trying to guess what his audience would like to hear. For example: God, immigration, abortions, coal ... I'd bet he had the opposite opinions on all that before going into politics.

I think Trump definitely feared Biden 4 years ago, and I think that he was Dem's best candidate to win (despite that I wanted Bernie to win). However, it was clear that Biden has been having some early/mid-stage dementia for at least the last year, so hard to think that anyone would have feared to debate him. He is basically incapable of speaking without a teleprompter, and he can barely even speak while having one.
Total carpet baggers. Political weathervanes.

Many of the GOP are.

In 10-20 years time, when history looks back on Trump, be it for one or two terms, there wont be anyone who will be happy to admit that they supported Trump. It will be like Germans distancing themselves from Hitler, post WW2.
As are the Democrats, who until a month ago were pretending that all was fine, despite knowing well that Biden is demented.

After that debate there's no way Trump would have feared Biden. He was crumbling before people's eyes and wasn't suddenly going to de-age.

He'll take Kamala running as the second best option though no doubt. Especially if she's simply annointed as the candidate.

I said even as recently as a week before the debate — and the operative word here is 'before.'

Historically, Trump has always been wary of Biden. Remember, he got impeached as President for trying to dig up dirt on Biden and Ukraine. He's always seen Biden as a tough opponent. But after the debate meltdown, Trump had nothing to fear and wasn't that vitriolic self.

You guys are focusing on a shift that happened in just under three weeks, but I've been looking at this from a much longer perspective.

I think Trump definitely feared Biden 4 years ago, and I think that he was Dem's best candidate to win (despite that I wanted Bernie to win). However, it was clear that Biden has been having some early/mid-stage dementia for at least the last year, so hard to think that anyone would have feared to debate him. He is basically incapable of speaking without a teleprompter, and he can barely even speak while having one.

As are the Democrats, who until a month ago were pretending that all was fine, despite knowing well that Biden is demented.

Did they though? I'm sure there were people around Biden that knew there was some decline.

But at the same time, Trump's whole cabinet knew he was mentally and morally unfit from day one. They have all come out afterwards and said as much.

What I am talking about here is the likes of JD Vance who called Trump "cultural heroin", a "moral disaster" and possibly "America’s Hitler".
We remember post Jan 6 all those GOP senators that spoke out against Trump. Now, they have backtracked.
They understand the math. They know that Trump brings in a group of loons that the GOP need to build a coalition. They are wedded to him know because of that group.

I dont remember anyone ever saying Biden was morally unfit for the job, only to turn coat.

In the last 3 weeks - yes.

Before not really. Biden's main selling point - rewind the tape - has been 'I'm the only guy that's beaten Donald Trump, and I'll do it again'.

yes but we live in the world after that debate, a world where biden and the media can't hide his decline any more! by speaking complete sentences she's a much stronger challenger to trump.

So, we are forced to spend time and money on fighting Crooked Joe Biden, he polls badly after having a terrible debate, and quits the race. Now we have to start all over again. Shouldn’t the Republican Party be reimbursed for fraud in that everybody around Joe, including his doctors and the Fake News Media, knew he was not capable of running for, or being, President? Just askin’?

@realDonaldTrump
- Truth Social Post

So, we are forced to spend time and money on fighting Crooked Joe Biden, he polls badly after having a terrible debate, and quits the race. Now we have to start all over again. Shouldn’t the Republican Party be reimbursed for fraud in that everybody around Joe, including his doctors and the Fake News Media, knew he was not capable of running for, or being, President? Just askin’?

@realDonaldTrump
- Truth Social Post
Is this real?

yes but we live in the world after that debate, a world where biden and the media can't hide his decline any more! by speaking complete sentences she's a much stronger challenger to trump.

Remember, Kamala Harris was so unpopular in the 2020 Democratic primary and did so poorly in the debates that she had to drop out before the Iowa caucuses.

Given that, there’s a real chance she could do worse than Biden in November, cognitive decline and all.

No one has explained why she would do better than Biden with Rust Belt working-class voters in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin—the key states from the last two elections.

Simply put, she’s unappealing to large parts of the American electorate, including many Democrats, as shown in 2020.

"Guys, I don't think Biden can beat trump but do you know who can? The woman who got 1% to Biden!"

Where's the Houllier emoji when you need it

@realDonaldTrump
- Truth Social Post

Make no mistake, trump's loving Kamala

Make no mistake, trump's loving Kamala

I don't think so. He has been hoping for Biden to stay in. She's a wildcard to him who may cut through all his gains (black and hispanic voters, as well as voters interested in the Israel/Gaza war).

First to pitch for the VP job

Consensus among people who follow US politics a lot more than I do seems to be that he's the best pick Harris could make, but that the best pick overall for the Dems if they want to defeat Trump is a Whitmer-Shapiro ticket. Fair?

Remember, Kamala Harris was so unpopular in the 2020 Democratic primary and did so poorly in the debates that she had to drop out before the Iowa caucuses.

Given that, there’s a real chance she could do worse than Biden in November, cognitive decline and all.

No one has explained why she would do better than Biden with Rust Belt working-class voters in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin—the key states from the last two elections.

Simply put, she’s unappealing to large parts of the American electorate, including many Democrats, as shown in 2020.

"Guys, I don't think Biden can beat trump but do you know who can? The woman who got 1% to Biden!"

Where's the Houllier emoji when you need it

yes i remember the primaries.
she's running against an 80 year old who delivered a pretty terrible debate performance, overshadowed only by his opponent's brain melting on live tv.

her appeal to voters? she's not currently dying or under indictment. for more than a year, trump has been leading polls, while being deep underwater in approval, and the #1 cited concern is biden's age.

and if you think, after 2016, that primary performance is indicative of strength in the general, you need your own houllier.

She will win by a fine margin and all the gullible crowd will be like after French election “yes we said le pen will win but we were right because she almost made it”, rinse repeat

I still can't get over the fact that Trumps profile image on that site is so fecking ridiculous.

F. w. i. w., Trump should still be favourite. It's not just Biden but the entire admin that in unpopular because of inflation. And by dragging out his presidency beyond his obvious decline, then into the debate when the decline became undeniable, and then for another month, he has tainted everyone in his administration, party, and media - they will all correctly be regarded with suspicion. This last month and the flip-flopping from Dem figures will also make their job harder.

What this switch does do is remove (by far) the biggest liability that the Dems have - Biden's age - and run a straightforward campaign on abortion and democracy and all the stuff that those swing voters actually believe. I'd guess she has a 30% shot, while Biden had <5%.

Oh, special shout out to Jamie Harrison, DNC chair, who has been loudly and publicly making the case that switching nominees is illegal.

Oh, special shout out to Jamie Harrison, DNC chair, who has been loudly and publicly making the case that switching nominees is illegal.
The nominee hasn't been switched, he just decided to withdraw which is not the same thing

The nominee hasn't been switched, he just decided to withdraw which is not the same thing

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4775689-dnc-chair-nate-silver-ohio-ballot-deadline/
In a post on the social platform X, Silver posted an excerpt of a New York Times article quoting Harrison saying the DNC wants to push President Biden’s official nomination forward to avoid legal challenges from Republicans even though lawmakers in the state pushed back the deadline.

Silver said “Jaime Harrison and the DNC are blatantly lying about this,” adding that “there very much will be consequences if they force Biden’s nomination thru and he loses.”

Harrison responded in a lengthy post.

“Nate… you can call me a lot of things but a liar is definitely not one of them. I know you THINK you know every thing but class is now truly in session,” Harrison said. “Pull up a chair.”
In his response, Harrison said that under the Ohio Constitution, the law DeWine signed doesn’t take effect until 90 days, which would be Sept. 1.

“Therefore the August 7th deadline will still be in place… giving rise to litigation and/or GOP games to create more hurdles and road blocks,” Harrison wrote.

That is Trump for you.

He was never an Republican. Just saw an opportunity and took it.
I think he only ran as a republican through a combination of hatred for Obama and a bully's sense that they were the weakest and most gullible.