2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id that some of the evangelical vote swapping from carson to cruz
Im surprised we have not started to see the numbers thin out yet - or will pretty much all people stay in till the first primary?

I think a number of candidates are waiting for Trump to implode at which point they feel the field will recalibrate itself and give them a proper chance of competing again. As it stands, the GOP establishment are bricking it that Trump is leading this late and is apparently widening the gap on various issues. If he is still leading in Feb, it will be hard to slow is momentum thereafter, as he will have Iowa and New Hampshire in the bag and be marching on South Carolina.

I think a number of candidates are waiting for Trump to implode at which point they feel the field will recalibrate itself and give them a proper chance of competing again. As it stands, the GOP establishment are bricking it that Trump is leading this late and is apparently widening the gap on various issues. If he is still leading in Feb, it will be hard to slow is momentum thereafter, as he will have Iowa and New Hampshire in the bag and be marching on South Carolina.
Yeah - its practically impossible for him to do / say anything more stupid than he has managed thus far so its fair to assume he is going to be there or there abouts - its just a case of seeing where undecided voters go and like you say when a candidate leaves the field who picks up their votes but the later that process starts the more entrenched he becomes as a front runner.
As somebody who does not live over there the idea of him running as the republican candidate from an entertainment point of view seems great - but there is always that risk that somehow he wins and thats frightening
I half expected him to come out and say they should ban muslims from having guns after the last shootings - he still may and scarily enough it would possibly play well with a section of the electorate

Im surprised we have not started to see the numbers thin out yet - or will pretty much all people stay in till the first primary?

I think there's a real chance we'll get a brokered convention of Trump wins any of Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina. The candidates with money to burn will try to stick around and see what they can do to garner establishment support. the lightweight will aim for a VP spot trying to bargain their 3, 4% support which may seem like a lot by then.

I think there's a real chance we'll get a brokered convention of Trump wins any of Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina. The candidates with money to burn will try to stick around and see what they can do to garner establishment support. the lightweight will aim for a VP spot trying to bargain their 3, 4% support which may seem like a lot by then.
I'm still hoping for
673045-1435320ed40b5dbebf27b4f864fb40c3.jpg

None of them support a two state solution...there is pandering and then there's this...

Just shut up Palestinians - we've decided you don't deserve a nation. Now, go and sit quietly in a corner.

Those CNN poll numbers are very interesting. Trump's lead is growing by the looks of it.

If he was going to implode, surely he would've imploded by now right? He's said plenty of crazy things and given ample ammunition for voters to be put off completely by him.

We've seen the likes of Carson and Fiorina surge and then fall away like we've seen before with other outsider candidates.

Trump has consistently been up in the polls now for months. He's surely got to have a realistic shot at winning the whole thing.

Those CNN poll numbers are very interesting. Trump's lead is growing by the looks of it.

If he was going to implode, surely he would've imploded by now right? He's said plenty of crazy things and given ample ammunition for voters to be put off completely by him.

His crazy talk is not going to hurt him, instead it's going to help him. I also no longer believe he is going to implode.

If he is to be stopped (and the republican establishment absolutely hate him and want him to be stopped) - it will be because the 2nd and 3rd placed candidates decide to go after him. I mean an actual sustained attack from the candidates and the party machine (talkback, tv, ads)...full court press.

It's obvious he is not going to trip over himself. To his racist and bigoted base, he is Teflon Don - nothing he says is bad.

He might be an asshole but he is incredibly smart and running the best campaign to date. He is one of the candidates without a great deal of wealth behind him, no real political dynasty backing his credentials, including his own party members treating him like dirt other than the tea party which is a minority in itself and yet his fundraising has outpaced every candidate on both parties. I've actually been quite impressed with him in that regard.

With the way the current climate is trending with terrorism, security and immigration being the top topics on agenda it might be the perfect storm for his candidacy.

He might be an asshole but he is incredibly smart and running the best campaign to date. He is one of the candidates without a great deal of wealth behind him, no real political dynasty backing his credentials, including his own party members treating him like dirt other than the tea party which is a minority in itself and yet his fundraising has outpaced every candidate on both parties. I've actually been quite impressed with him in that regard.

With the way the current climate is trending with terrorism, security and immigration being the top topics on agenda it might be the perfect storm for his candidacy.

he may win the nomination. he will never win the election. People may be scared at times, they are not stupid. There is so much of shit on him on film, they will roast him alive (which he should be)

His political views aside, i agree he is running the smoothest campaign by consistently laying low whilst getting his policy positions out and in the process skillfully avoiding getting hammered by Trump. He is probably the only candidate who Trump hasn't smashed yet, although that may happen soon if Cruz keeps rising and replaces Carson as Trump's biggest threat. That said, Carson is still 4 points ahead of him in the RCP poll of polls, so he still has a bit of work to do. If Carson were to drop out before Iowa, Cruz would likely gobble up his evangelical votes and instantly catapult himself within striking distance of Trump. Although again, Trump would likely hammer him at that point which would again tamp his numbers down.

His political views aside, i agree he is running the smoothest campaign by consistently laying low whilst getting his policy positions out and in the process skillfully avoiding getting hammered by Trump. He is probably the only candidate who Trump hasn't smashed yet, although that may happen soon if Cruz keeps rising and replaces Carson as Trump's biggest threat. That said, Carson is still 4 points ahead of him in the RCP poll of polls, so he still has a bit of work to do. If Carson were to drop out before Iowa, Cruz would likely gobble up his evangelical votes and instantly catapult himself within striking distance of Trump. Although again, Trump would likely hammer him at that point which would again tamp his numbers down.
I actually won't take those poll numbers too seriously until start of 2016. So if you see who is actually surging at the right time campaign funds wise, its cruz even more than rubio. People might not always put their money where their mouth is in polls but they usually vote for the guy they donate to.

Trump has just released a statement calling for a ban on Muslims entering the US.
He's also increased his lead in the Iowa polls.

Trump has just released a statement calling for a ban on Muslims entering the US.
He's also increased his lead in the Iowa polls.
Which one's this? Saw the first one in a long time today with him out of the lead, Cruz was up by 5 (Monmouth).

Which one's this? Saw the first one in a long time today with him out of the lead, Cruz was up by 5 (Monmouth).
Not sure. It was just released on CNN. Trump is way out in the lead on all major issues.

Not sure. It was just released on CNN. Trump is way out in the lead on all major issues.

Aha, probably just not on RCP yet then.

Wouldn't this Trump stuff violate the constitution in addition to its deeply disturbing moral implications?

Exactly my thoughts. He's dangerous.

I hadn't wanted him to get the nomination for this reason, it would put him and his opinions clearly in the mainstream of a primary political party. But as that says, he's already done it, and simply fading away in the GOP primaries may not be enough to delegitimise them. Maybe he needs to be emphatically beaten by Hillary for that to happen.

Aha, probably just not on RCP yet then.

Wouldn't this Trump stuff violate the constitution in addition to its deeply disturbing moral implications?
Thing is...the govt can do this without it being an official policy.

Muslims applying for student visas - you tactfully reject 8/10 visas....tourist/skilled/asylum - all these things are at the discretion of the visa officer.

So, while a 'ban' sounds outlandish....implementing something resembling a ban via an unofficial policy is very easy to implement.

Thing is...the govt can do this without it being an official policy.

Muslims applying for student visas - you tactfully reject 8/10 visas....tourist/skilled/asylum - all these things are at the discretion of the visa officer.

So, while a 'ban' sounds outlandish....implementing something resembling a ban via an unofficial policy is very easy to implement.
Do you hold citizenship bro?

It's actually quite scary to contemplate what he would do as POTUS, especially if they got a Republican Congress as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-muslim-immigration-us_5665f75de4b072e9d1c7252b

Donald Trump Calls For 'Complete Shutdown' Of Muslims Entering U.S.

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential hopeful and real estate mogul Donald Trump is calling for a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States" following deadly terror attacks involving Islamic extremists in California and France.

"Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension," Trump said in a statement emailed to reporters on Monday.

"Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life," he continued.

Corey Lewandowski, Trump's campaign manager, told The Associated Press that the ban would apply to "everybody," including Muslims seeking tourist visas. Last month, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), one of Trump's rivals for the GOP presidential nomination, introduced a similar proposal that would prevent refugees from obtaining tourist and immigration visas if they are from one of about 30 countries with a "significant jihadist movement."

Trump's call to bar Muslim immigration into the U.S. is just the latest in a series of anti-Islamic statements. He previously suggested shuttering certain mosques in the U.S. and claimed he saw footage of American Muslims cheering after the 9/11 attacks -- footage that no television network has been able to dig up.

There is some evidence that such anti-Muslim rhetoric has support among GOP primary voters. According to Public Policy Polling, which has regularly polled voters on their attitudes toward Muslims, a significant portion of GOP primary voters in North Carolina believe Islam should be outright illegal in the United States.

Over and over again, Trump's outlandish statements have pressured Republican candidates and party leaders to respond. Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus will likely face calls to do so ahead of a scheduled fundraiser with Trump in New York City this week.

On Monday, Trump touted his new proposal on his favorite medium -- Twitter.

"Just put out a very important policy statement on the extraordinary influx of hatred & danger coming into our country," he wrote. "We must be vigilant!"

Other Republican presidential candidates condemned Trump for his plan:

The RNC has no clue how to handle Trump, it would be their worst nightmare if he runs as an independent.

Mexicans, females, the disabled, muslims... have I forgotten anyone he's insulted? He'd be so comprehensively destroyed in a general election. Could he even taint the rest of the GOP candidates to the extent the House and Senate go blue again?

Status
Not open for further replies.