2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
1200. Farcical
Yet we have congress, news media and presidential candidates acting like we're in Europe and there are millions of Syrians sitting at the border.

Europe is facing a genuine crisis and very tough and immediate decisions need to be made.

The dehumanizing of the 'others' - can you imagine someone comparing such a desperate group of helpless people with an animal - a rabid dog at that...

Oh wait you can, Hitler with the Jews and now we have republican presidential candidates.

One says refugees are rabid dogs and the other says muslims should have to carry special ID cards.

Is Trump gonna get the GOP nomination then?
My Yank friends say Rubio will eventually nick it, but seems Trump is leading and pulling ahead further?

I have a university(+ scholarship) offer in the United States and listening to these Republicans lead the polls makes me very reluctant to go. I have a muslim name, and I know I will be fine for the most part, but living in a country where these people come to power is very uneasy with me.

It's so horrible.

I have a university(+ scholarship) offer in the United States and listening to these Republicans lead the polls makes me very reluctant to go. I have a muslim name, and I know I will be fine for the most part, but living in a country where these people come to power is very uneasy with me.

It's so horrible.
On the flipside, you'll be on a university campus and would have to be really unlucky to actually run into any of them.

I'm not American, never been there, hop to in the new year. But I have to say, this kind of guy leading the polls for one of the major parties doesn't speak well of the country. This guy is a loon.

It's so horrible.

Nah...we bitch because it's human nature to bitch and highlight the negatives.

The US truly is the greatest nation on earth. I know we don't rank No.1 in anything atm - but it really is.

Once you come over and settle in - you will never want to leave.

I had maybe 2 people say something negative to be after 9/11. And you can imagine the anger the country was feeling - instead I had a ton of friends and neighbors reach out to me and my whole family saying - we know you guys.

This isn't you.

I'm not American, never been there, hop to in the new year. But I have to say, this kind of guy leading the polls for one of the major parties doesn't speak well of the country. This guy is a loon.

Not american, but an admirer in a sense. I think its one of the most embarrassing moments in their political history. Hopefully none of them actually gets the nomination and runs in the election, and this is all soon relegated to footnotes in history books. Sarah Palin as VP candidate was already bad enough. I might start nagging my bosses to move me to the UK if Trump gets elected, as I want no part or association with whatever comes next.

The Republicans have completely betrayed the center-right voters, and I don't know exactly what they've gained from it. They seem as unelectable as Corbyn is in the UK to me.

So is this now the key thing the US election is being run on?

Always amazes me how ridiculous the US policies seem around elections. It never ultimately seems to be the stuff its supposed to be about. Schools, medical care, employment, police and fire etc etc.

Seems like in the US its always Religion or Immigration, the two things that surely shouldn't be a problem in the US.

Who cares if schools are over-packed, under funded and hosting mass killings....we need to stop them non-American, non-Christian bad folk getting in here and causing trouble.

P.S i know i say this while the UK unfortunately seems to be heading in a similar direction, but i have hope by the time of elections people will be back on the stuff that should matter.

I'm getting a little worried about Hillary's national approval ratings to be honest. PPP result out today had her at -14, which is Ted Cruz's level. I know it's a long way out and the email stuff is still fresh, but it's not a good level to begin from.

I'm getting a little worried about Hillary's national approval ratings to be honest. PPP result out today had her at -14, which is Ted Cruz's level. I know it's a long way out and the email stuff is still fresh, but it's not a good level to begin from.

Even at her best when she left in 2013 it was only +20 I think. A likeable VP would help as well.

Hillary won't be sunk if she sticks to the script. The GOP is doing all the works for her. Everyday now they come out with statements that will make excellent attack ads.

Even at her best when she left in 2013 it was only +20 I think. A likeable VP would help as well.

Hillary won't be sunk if she sticks to the script. The GOP is doing all the works for her. Everyday now they come out with statements that will make excellent attack ads.
True, but I'm still going on the assumption that the Trump-Carson bubble will burst and the GOP regain sanity in time to pick Rubio (though the fact remains that on current numbers, he doesn't have enough support even on second choices). Think she's far more vulnerable to him than she previously seemed, particularly if the US has the idea that two Democrat presidential terms is enough for now. She's still got demographics on her side and the best political organisational force at her disposal, it's just going to be far closer than I'm comfortable with.

It's so horrible.

Which university? Most campuses are very liberal, and university towns, even in Southern states, are liberal too.
I am an atheist, and "culturally" Hindu, but my name is a bit ambiguous (could be Muslim) and I occasionally have a beard. No issues at all yet.

Trump and Carson are the 2 candidates that will be destroyed by Hillary/Sanders.
Rubio will beat them both, especially since he will carry Florida. If he gets Ohio, game over.

I'm not particularly convinced about Rubio or Cruz. I'd imagine Rubio would carry Florida, but even if he also wins Ohio, he will still need to nearly run the table on all other swing states. I think Hillary will win VA, CO, NV, and NM and would be strong in NH. That would leave him about 20 votes short of the Presidency.

Nah...we bitch because it's human nature to bitch and highlight the negatives.

The US truly is the greatest nation on earth. I know we don't rank No.1 in anything atm - but it really is.

I had maybe 2 people say something negative to be after 9/11. And you can imagine the anger the country was feeling - instead I had a ton of friends and neighbors reach out to me and my whole family saying - we know you guys.

This isn't you.

That´s certainly your experience, but lest anyone take this as some sort of absolute truth as it seems to be presented, I lived there almost half my life and totally disagree. I think most Europeans would totally disagree, as would most Canadians and others from first world countries. Most ex pats probably would as well. I know plenty of Europeans who came over and "settled in," and were very happy to leave. The whole entitled, annoying U-S-A greatest-country-in-the-world rah rah rah crowd in the Republican party as well as most immigrants from third world countries would be onboard with you, although most Colombians living there I know would come back to Colombia one time if it was economically feasible.

It would be better to follow those blanket statements with IMO, or "in my particular experience." The US has some great things going for it . . . but no thanks. It´s such a subjective experience.

More Mexicans leave than enter USA in historic shift

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-home-migration-shift-united-states/76013230/

Last edited:
That´s certainly your experience, but lest anyone take this as some sort of absolute truth as it seems to be presented, I lived there almost half my life and totally disagree. I think most Europeans would totally disagree, as would most Canadians and others from first world countries. Most ex pats probably would as well. I know plenty of Europeans who came over and "settled in," and were very happy to leave. The whole entitled, annoying U-S-A greatest-country-in-the-world rah rah rah crowd in the Republican party as well as most immigrants from third world countries would be onboard with you, although most Colombians living there I know would come back to Colombia one time if it was economically feasible.

It would be better to follow those blanket statements with IMO, or "in my particular experience." The US has some great things going for it . . . but no thanks. It´s such a subjective experience.

More Mexicans leave than enter USA in historic shift

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-home-migration-shift-united-states/76013230/

Emigrated here at age 11 and definitely feel its one of the best places to live if you're willing to put in the effort and not sit back and have the state take care of you. Health Care and the gun fetish are the downsides, but the upsides far outweigh them. I suppose you could go to Canada if that's an issue.

Emigrated here at age 11 and definitely feel its one of the best places to live if you're willing to put in the effort and not sit back and have the state take care of you. Health Care and the gun fetish are the downsides, but the upsides far outweigh them. I suppose you could go to Canada if that's an issue.

That´s fine, I understand that and am glad you love it and feel that way, but there shouldn´t be these blanket, definitive statements that certain people feel that the US is the greatest nation on earth - "it-really-is."

To a lot of people who know both sides quite well, they are in total disagreement. For very valid reasons. It should be an IMO, or an according-to my-experience statement really. That´s all I´m saying.

It's so horrible.

Barack Hussein Obama did pretty well with a muslim name.

That´s fine, I understand that and am glad you love it and feel that way, but there shouldn´t be these blanket, definitive statements that certain people feel that the US is the greatest nation on earth - "it-really-is."

To a lot of people who know both sides quite well, they are in total disagreement. For very valid reasons. It should be an IMO, or an according-to my-experience statement really. That´s all I´m saying.

The imo is obviously inferred when an opinion is expressed. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The imo is obviously inferred when an opinion is expressed. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But it´s obviously not inferred in statements like this: The US truly is the greatest nation on earth. I know we don't rank No.1 in anything atm - but it really is.

That´s more along the lines of what I´m talking about.

But it´s obviously not inferred in statements like this: The US truly is the greatest nation on earth. I know we don't rank No.1 in anything atm - but it really is.

That´s more along the lines of what I´m talking about.

It's quite obviously an opinion, just as your anti-american views are.

Joining in the USA love-fest, although I only moved here earlier this year its always been my dream. A close 2nd would be the UK. Part of my bias is definitely that I speak fluent English, so anywhere not English speaking wouldn't be immediately as inclusive an experience. But for people who want to get busy and be at the center of global developments, no other country can offer as many opportunities. I like the culture too, but from a distance I think its more similar to English culture than Americans or Brits would admit. Its just applied on a continental landmass as opposed to an island, with more immigration thrown in.

Of course there's issues and downsides. But the issues I saw in Brazil made my life unbearable, and most importantly I saw no way they'd get solved in my lifetime, because they were mostly a product of the general mindset. The upsides here way outweigh the downside in my opinion. But I'm fully aware that other people disagree, and to each his own (meaning you can f-off to Cuba :D ).

It's so horrible.

No worries, there'll be a lot of Safe Spaces on campuses.

Joining in the USA love-fest, although I only moved here earlier this year its always been my dream. A close 2nd would be the UK. Part of my bias is definitely that I speak fluent English, so anywhere not English speaking wouldn't be immediately as inclusive an experience. But for people who want to get busy and be at the center of global developments, no other country can offer as many opportunities. I like the culture too, but from a distance I think its more similar to English culture than Americans or Brits would admit. Its just applied on a continental landmass as opposed to an island, with more immigration thrown in.

Of course there's issues and downsides. But the issues I saw in Brazil made my life unbearable, and most importantly I saw no way they'd get solved in my lifetime, because they were mostly a product of the general mindset. The upsides here way outweigh the downside in my opinion. But I'm fully aware that other people disagree, and to each his own (meaning you can f-off to Cuba :D ).

It's a pretty normal strain of thought among most immigrants. Life was poor in their country of origin and suddenly they were in a place where opportunity existed provided they were willing to work for it. This isn't unique to the US of course, in fact Canada is probably even better suited for this sort of thing, especially for people who want a bigger social safety net.

It's so horrible.
Mate, you'll be fine. Stick to the urban centers on the coasts and stay away from the south if you're truly worried. What school are you thinking about attending?

It's a pretty normal strain of thought among most immigrants. Life was poor in their country of origin and suddenly they were in a place where opportunity existed provided they were willing to work for it. This isn't unique to the US of course, in fact Canada is probably even better suited for this sort of thing, especially for people who want a bigger social safety net.

I'd say Australia as well going by my current experience. A skilled worksman can comfortably make 70-80 grand a year. Doubt it gets any better for the average joe than that even in the US. Academic advancement and white-collar job opportunities are a different matter though

It's so horrible.

You'll be fine, in fact perceptions on TV are well overblown compared with reality.

Bingo!

the US is the best place in the world to live. People forget how big a country this is.

I've driven cross country about 20 times over the years. One of the things that becomes quickly apparent is how big and culturally different the country is. Well worth the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.