2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drumpf giving a "major economic speech" in Detroit right now - getting interrupted by hecklers every 60 seconds.

2 articles arguing that trade isn't primarily to blame for falling industrial employment and falling wages:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...93d73a2_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1
Though trade has helped reshape U.S. manufacturing, it is only one force of many. The appeal of making it the prime villain is political and psychological. We can blame manufacturing’s problems and dislocations on foreigners and disloyal American multinational firms. If they behaved better, the U.S. economy would improve. There is some truth to this, but it is hardly the whole truth — as the case of steel shows.

Despite plummeting industry employment, U.S. steel production is roughly where it’s been for decades, between 90 million and 120 million tons a year. Imports generally represent 20 percent to 25 percent of domestic consumption. True, dozens of steel plants have closed. But dozens of more efficient plants have opened. Productivity (a.k.a., efficiency) has increased dramatically.

The industry’s largest change of the past half-century is the rise of so-called “mini-mills.” There are now two dominant ways of making steel.

Basically a futorology question: mass unemployment is the inevitable result of technology.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/08/the-forgotten-militants/

Other explanations for minimal working-class resistance emphasize the changes in the structure and composition of the working class. Most common is the claim that the industrial working class has disappeared with “globalization” and “deindustrialization.” In this schema, the mass-production industries whose workers formed the backbone of unionism have either disappeared or moved to the Global South.

The reality is much more complex. For starters, manufacturing’s role in the US economy has actually grown — the final production of goods rose from 22 percent of real GDP during the 1960s and 1970s to 28 percent in the 2000s, and inched upwards to 31 percent by 2010–12.

While it is true that the percentage of manufacturing workers has been declining, this decrease began in the late 1890s. Even more importantly, industrial union membership has fallen more rapidly than manufacturing employment: Between 1994 and 2013 (as a result of rising productivity and industrial restructuring), the number of production workers decreased 33 percent, while industrial union membership dropped 60 percent.

Marco Rubio arguing no abortions for Zika affected babies :wenger: He said 'If I have to err, I'll err on the side of life'. Wonder if he'll make the health insurance companies cover zika related expenses even though it's a pre existing condition and provide an individual mandate to private companies against constitution. After all, if he has to err, he can err on the side of life against constitution. fecking idiot.

Marco Rubio arguing no abortions for Zika affected babies :wenger: He said 'If I have to err, I'll err on the side of life'. Wonder if he'll make the health insurance companies cover zika related expenses even though it's a pre existing condition and provide an individual mandate to private companies against constitution. After all, if he has to err, he can err on the side of life against constitution. fecking idiot.
I had a good friend of mine argue in class one time that the pro-choice position is the pro-life decision if you care anything at all about the quality of life of the fetus in question. I think your statement above would further his point

I had a good friend of mine argue in class one time that the pro-choice position is the pro-life decision if you care anything at all about the quality of life of the fetus in question. I think your statement above would further his point

It is true though. Abortion rate drops under Democratic presidents, when social safety net is protected, economy goes up etc... People don't do abortion just for shits and giggles.

Of course. Most of pro-life people only care about the day the baby is born and then toss it over to the parents to deal with life on their own. It's not pro-life, it's just pro-embryos. In the same argument, does Marco fecking Rubio offer any assurance to family that state will bear some responsibility for making the parents bring a life to this earth with serious complications which will make their life and the baby a living hell? None whatsover. It's a position of pure hypocrisy, as sanctity of life only extends till a woman's womb and not to death penalties. Does any real pro life candidate want to abolish death penalty? No, it's because they think the person is tried and convicted by constitutional courts. It's the convenient excuse for the Christian right to switch between Bible and constitution when needed. After all, Bible tells you not to take revenge, lay down your arms and show the other cheek which is only a tiny bit different from the right to bear arms.

New Monmouth poll ( rated A+ pollster by 538):

Clinton 50%
Trump 37%
Johnson 7%
Stein 2%

First time Clinton reaches the 50% mark.

New Monmouth poll ( rated A+ pollster by 538):

Clinton 50%
Trump 37%
Johnson 7%
Stein 2%

First time Clinton reaches the 50% mark.

You mean in this poll. She broke 50 in multiple polls last 2 weeks.

These numbers are also extremely promising because it's likely voter. First time Dems do better in likely vs registered ( 46-34 in that scenario, unchanged for third parties).

And SC is blue with this margin as well :lol:

You mean in this poll. She broke 50 in multiple polls last 2 weeks.

These numbers are also extremely promising because it's likely voter. First time Dems do better in likely vs registered ( 46-34 in that scenario, unchanged for third parties).

And SC is blue with this margin as well :lol:

I think this is the first poll she reached 50% with all 4 candidates, but I could be wrong.

I think this is the first poll she reached 50% with all 4 candidates, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I think you are right.

Polls 3 weeks out from the end of the conventions tend to hold steady until Election Day, so this time next week, if Clinton leads by 7 or more, we can start talking about the HoR, barring anything truly damning from WikiLeaks.

Yeah, I think you are right.

Polls 3 weeks out from the end of the conventions tend to hold steady until Election Day, so this time next week, if Clinton leads by 7 or more, we can start talking about the HoR, barring anything truly damning from WikiLeaks.

Assange was on Bill Maher last week, and was essentially clutching at straws. But never say never.

Assange was on Bill Maher last week, and was essentially clutching at straws. But never say never.

He was pathetic. Upon being pressed by Bill, claimed that a 'William Maher' donated millions to the Clinton campaign. Got slapped down hard. Next day his team refuted his claim that they were looking to hack Drumpf's tax returns. Oh, and pretty much said Snowden sold out as well.

That man can go do one. Becoming a caricature.

He was pathetic. Upon being pressed by Bill, claimed that a 'William Maher' donated millions to the Clinton campaign. Got slapped down hard. Next day his team refuted his claim that they were looking to hack Drumpf's tax returns. Oh, and pretty much said Snowden sold out as well.

Glenn Greenwald pretty much shat on Wikileaks in a slate interview last week.

Barry :lol:

Assange is probably the only real life character that's still not universally liked after portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Barry :lol:

Assange is probably the only real life character that's still not universally liked after portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Assange hated the film and tried to derail it by publishing the script before it came out. Personally I think they should do a sequel to wind him up.

Is she peaking early though? :(

All in the name of transparency

The more relevant question is how will Trump get votes from college educated whites in Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio. She is crushing him on many of the key demographics and with each day that passes there are less people whose minds can be changed.

The more relevant question is how will Trump get votes from college educated whites in Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio. She is crushing him on many of the key demographics and with each day that passes there are less people whose minds can be changed.

If RNC can get Trump to back out and have Pence running for the Presidency, it'll be a much closer contest.

An open letter signed by 50 Republican national security experts has warned that party nominee Donald Trump "would be the most reckless president" in US history.

The group - which includes the former CIA director Michael Hayden - said Mr Trump "lacks the character, values and experience" to be president.

Many of the signatories had declined to sign a similar note in March.

"None of us will vote for Donald Trump," the letter states.

The letter comes after a number of high-profile Republicans stepped forward to disown Mr Trump.
Mr Trump has broken with years of Republican foreign policy on a number of occasions.

The candidate has questioned whether the US should honour its commitments to Nato, endorsed the use of torture and suggested that South Korea and Japan should arm themselves with nuclear weapons.

"He weakens US moral authority as the leader of the free world," the letter read.

"He appears to lack basic knowledge about and belief in the US Constitution, US laws, and US institutions, including religious tolerance, freedom of the press, and an independent judiciary."

Also among those who signed the letter were John Negroponte, the first director of national intelligence and later deputy secretary of state; Robert Zoellick, who was also a former deputy secretary of state and former president of the World Bank; and two former secretaries of homeland security, Tom Ridge and Michael Chertoff.

The letter echoed similar sentiment shared by some Republican national security officials in March, but the new additions came after Mr Trump encouraged Russia to hack Mrs Clinton's email server, according to the New York Times.

Mr Trump later said he was "being sarcastic" when he made the remarks about hacking his rival's emails.

Missing from the letter were former secretaries of state Henry Kissinger, George Shultz, James Baker, Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice.

Some of the latest letter's signatories plan to vote for Mr Trump's Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton while others will refuse to vote, but "all agree Trump is not qualified and would be dangerous," said John Bellinger, a former legal adviser to Ms Rice who drafted the letter.

The open letter follows a fresh round of Republican defections in the wake of recent controversy surrounding Mr Trump.

Lezlee Westine, a former aide to President George W Bush, announced her support for Mrs Clinton in a statement to the Washington Post on Monday.

Wadi Gaitan, a prominent Latino official and chief spokesman for the Republican party in Florida, announced he would leave the party over Mr Trump's candidacy.

Meanwhile, George P Bush broke with his father, Jeb Bush, to lend his support to Mr Trump on Sunday, the Texas Tribune reported.

The Texas land commissioner urged party members to unite behind his father's former Republican primary rival.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37016680

If RNC can get Trump to back out and have Pence running for the Presidency, it'll be a much closer contest.

It probably wouldn't be much better as Pence isn't a national figure. Also, if Trump were to back out, the sheer chaos and dysfunction that would ensure would take down any replacement candidate who attempted to unify the party in the final couple of months before the election.

If they all think he would be dangerous why are they not all voting for Hillary?

Voting for a Democrat is that horrendous to them that even though they think it's dangerous for her not to win the election they still won't vote for her.

If they all think he would be dangerous why are they not all voting for Hillary?

Voting for a Democrat is that horrendous to them that even though they think it's dangerous for her not to win the election they still won't vote for her.

I'd imagine a good number of them will. She is getting about 10-15% of GOP voters. All we need is one or two more calamitous Trump episodes and everything will be etched in stone.

Rick Santorum was on Bill Maher and said 'Atta boy' for Trump having a disaster free Friday :D

The general consensus is that if Hillary is beating Trump by about 10 points (as she is now) in September, that down ballot candidates will be forced to jump off the Trump ship and actually run against him, which could result in Trump losing yet more votes as well as the down ballot candidates alienating the Tea Party nutters who are the core of Trump's base. All Hillary has to do for the next 3-4 weeks is to keep the pressure on, not make any unforced errors of her own (such as the botched explanation about whether she lied to the FBI about her emails) and allow Trump to have a few more calamitous slip ups, then all she has to do is weather the debates in Sep and one in early Oct and ride out the final 4 weeks.

Is she peaking early though? :(
Another way to look at it - we haven't even started the ground campaign yet, where I'd be willing to bet Clinton's will be superior to Trump's on every level. Have they even released much of their background research file on him yet? Trump had a decent fundraising month in July, is that going to continue with him falling heavily behind and making more of a twat of himself?

Another way to look at it - we haven't even started the ground campaign yet, where I'd be willing to bet Clinton's will be superior to Trump's on every level. Have they even released much of their background research file on him yet? Trump had a decent fundraising month in July, is that going to continue with him falling heavily behind and making more of a twat of himself?
That's the thing! Hillary hasn't really had to do anything to start gaining this lead. All her campaign has done is highlight the stupid things Trump has done on his own.

Her campaign really might not have to do much over the next 90 days. Just hold serve and let Trump wreck his own campaign.

My point is so far everything has gone right for Hillary. A solid Convention and unity of party after major speechers from big hitters, came after the embarrassing DNC email episode and FBI's decision no to press chargers. So far Trump has been self destructing himself. Soon, Hillary will have a bad month/week/fortnight.

What caused that sudden shift between them in late July?

She got a massive bounce after the Dem convention, and Trump had a calamitous week last week. The conventions are more or less the end of act one of the general election and voters tend to have a good idea of who they are voting for in the week or two after. There are a dwindling number of people who haven't decided yet and those that still exist will decide next month during the debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.