2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always feel that Hillary has had coaching to smile or laugh 'spontaneously'. Still, I'd prefer a serious President to Coco the Candidate.

Maybe I had low expectations but I thought Hillary's speech was very good.

Biden was probably my favourite of the convention, Bloomberg was excellent too, the Obamas were great, Barack is probably the greatest orator I've seen and Michelle is no slouch.

The general calibre compared to the RNC was shocking though.

Also I was listening to a podcast earlier (could have been slate's gabfest) and they were saying the DNC was top heavy on experience but with little new blood coming through. Fair comment?

On my drive from Marietta to Macon this afternoon, I managed to catch a brief two minutes of Rush Limbaugh (before I switched as I was near vomiting). The man claimed that Clinton and Dems bringing up killing OBL doesn't matter as "he didn't have a contract out on your family." Then he went on some diatribe about Clinton has never helped kids.

His Twitter feed has been even more menthol than usual over the last few days. He has gone in to Tweet overload during the Dems Convention and especially after the main speeches and attacks against him.

I think Clinton camp will get some mileage out of this. Everytime he loses it on twitter, they'll double down on his reaction that he's unfit for president. They bait him more, when he reacts, they double down on his mentality. Trump doesn't react well to provocations.

It's fairly obvious way to counter Trump and I don't know why GOP didn't try during the primaries. Rubio tried it, but it was too late by then and he had a decent following by then. I like how Cruz now rails about Trump and his ineptness while he was happy to cozy up to him while Trump was destroying Jeb Bush. In his very own words, 'Donald Trump is great'. A month later, he was the incarnation of evil.

This comment by his son truly pissed me off.
Donald Trump Jr. said:
"Our schools are... like soviet era department stores that are run for the benefit of the clerks and not the customers, for the teachers and administrators and not the students"

I think Clinton camp will get some mileage out of this. Everytime he loses it on twitter, they'll double down on his reaction that he's unfit for president. They bait him more, when he reacts, they double down on his mentality. Trump doesn't react well to provocations.

It's fairly obvious way to counter Trump and I don't know why GOP didn't try during the primaries. Rubio tried it, but it was too late by then and he had a decent following by then. I like how Cruz now rails about Trump and his ineptness while he was happy to cozy up to him while Trump was destroying Jeb Bush. In his very own words, 'Donald Trump is great'. A month later, he was the incarnation of evil.

Yeah, she came out with the amazing line "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons" and she was spot on, the dimwit is just proving her right with his recent actions. Everything is always about him and I think more people are realising this every day.

He's also contradicting himself big time with numerous tweets saying the opposite of something he has previously said, the perfect example are the two about Bloomberg that @Raoul posted earlier. His Twitter feed is littered with hypocrisy like that.

Why Trump Supporters Think He'll Win
How the election looks to backers of the Republican nominee

Perhaps the hardest thing to do in contemporary American politics is to imagine how the world looks from the other side. I’ve made no secret of why, as a Republican, I oppose Donald Trump and what he stands for. But I’ve also been talking to his supporters and advisors, trying to understand how they see and hear the same things that I do, and draw such very different conclusions. What follows isn’t a transcription—it’s a synthesis of the conversations I’ve had, and the insights I’ve gleaned, presented in the voice of an imagined Trump supporter.

“You people in the Acela corridor aren’t getting it. Again. You think Donald Trump is screwing up because he keeps saying things that you find offensive or off-the-wall. But he’s not talking to you. You’re not his audience, you never were, and you never will be. He’s playing this game in a different way from anybody you’ve ever seen. And he’s winning too, in a different way from anybody you’ve ever seen.

“Our convention worked. Donald—I’m not on the payroll, I can call him that—Donald energized his voters: people who are afraid of crime and worried about the mass immigration that’s transforming their country and displacing them. We talk a lot about polls, but you ignore the polls that don’t show what you expect to see.

“Here’s what’s going to happen. We’re going to run up vote totals like you’ve never seen in places you’ve never been. Not just coal country, either. No, we don’t have what you’d call a proper campaign. What do we need it for? Campaigns spend most of their money on TV ads that do nothing except entertain you on YouTube on your lunch hour—oh, and pay huge commissions to the consultants who make them. It’s all a waste and rip-off. If our message is exciting, our voters will get to the polls on their own. And you have to admit: Our message is exciting!

“You think it’s crazy when Donald goes after Ted Cruz about the unanswered questions in his life. It’s crazy like a fox. Trump is forcing people in the party—a lot of them already don't like Ted, you know that, right?—he’s forcing those people to think about whether they’re really going to let this guy posture as the keeper of the party conscience. There are a lot of unanswered questions about Ted: You know that, way beyond the Kennedy assassination. Donald's showing: Nobody backstabs him without paying a price. He’s the boss of the party now, he’s going to be treated like the boss, and if you don’t respect him, he’s going to bring down the hammer. That’s a good lesson for everybody else—and look how quiet and respectful all those Republicans are now. Donald knows that Reince Priebus and Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell and even Mike Pence want nothing better than to lay him low. But every time they bite their tongues as he takes off the head of Ted or whomever … he makes it that much more impossible for them ever to say, ‘Oh Donald? No, I had nothing to with him.’ They all wear the Trump logo now—and they always will wear that logo, whatever happens in November.

“The Putin thing. You think you’ve really nailed Donald with the Putin thing. Get it through your head: Our people are done fighting wars for your New World Order. We fought the Cold War to stop the Communists from taking over America, not to protect Estonia. We went to Iraq because you said it was better to fight them over there than fight them over here. Then you invited them over here anyway! Then you said that we had to keep inviting them over here if we wanted to win over there. And we figured out: You care a lot more about the “inviting" part than the “winning" part. So no more. Not until we face a real threat, and have a real president who’ll do whatever it takes to win. Whatever it takes.

"That’s another way you don’t understand Donald. When you squawk: 'Oh, it’s so horrible, he’ll waterboard prisoners, he won’t ask our troops to risk their lives so as to avoid shooting a terrorist’s mother-in-law …' when you talk like that, what our people hear is that you are a lot clearer about what you won’t do to protect the American people than what you will do.

“Tom Kean/Tim Kaine? So, so sorry we got the name of your latest precious progressive New South governor a little mixed up. Just kidding: not even a little bit sorry. What you need to take on board is how profoundly so many Americans do not give a … oh yeah, you still live in a country where people don’t use language like that when they talk about politics. Come visit Reddit sometime and see how the other half lives. But I’ll spare your feelings. They like that Donald doesn’t know any of that sh …. Oops. Sorry again.

"You Acela people live in a beautiful country where everything works. You believe in institutions because they work for you. So it bothers you that Donald doesn’t seem to know what the OECD does or who’s in charge of the FDIC. But our people don’t believe in institutions any more. The institutions they do still care about—the military and the cops—you use for props when you need them, and as dumping grounds when you don’t. I noticed that when Tim Kaine took a bow for his son’s military service, he pointed out that he was a Marine—because we all know that what you’ve done to the Army, Navy, and Air Force. Yeah, they’re just as lethal as Obama and Hillary said. When you spend as much as the rest of the planet combined, you can make a lot of things go boom—even if the soldiers can’t do chin ups any more and the sailors get pregnant when they decide their tours of duty have gone on too long. And the cops! One minute you’re calling them murderers, the next you’re slobbering all over them. Our voters are cops. They know who’s on their side. Not you.

“You loved the Democratic convention didn’t you? Soaring rhetoric, we’re all together in just one big beautiful rainbow quilt: illegal aliens and billionaires, all together. And the flags? So many flags. You wave the flag one day every four years, and you think it means you’ve taken America from us. You haven’t, not yet—and that’s another thing our voters will be wanting to say on Election Day. Lots of ideas too: free this, free that, more investment in this, higher taxes on that, and ‘common sense gun laws.’ I bet you don’t own a gun. I bet you’ve never had a DUI either. So it wouldn’t worry you that you could lose the first if you get the second. But it worries our voters. Their lives are kind of messed up. They get into trouble. That’s why they want guns for themselves, and not just for Mayor Bloomberg’s bodyguards.

“Here’s the bottom line. You live in an America that’s still a lot like your parents’ America. It’s mostly white. Nobody’s displacing and replacing you. It’s pretty safe too. You can read about rising crime—you don’t live it. In your America, you worry about how there aren’t enough women making Hollywood films or sitting on corporate boards. In our America, the gender gap closed a long time ago—and then went into reverse. Obama in the Oval Office was humiliating enough. But Hillary will be worse: We’re going to lose any idea at all that leadership is a man’s job.

“You’ve been building up to this for a long time. No more Superheroes rescuing women in the movies. The girl always has to throw the last punch herself. In the commercials, Dad’s either an idiot—or he’s doing the housework with his boyfriend.

"And you know what? It’s not just our hillbilly voters who are going to vote ‘no’ to all that. A lot of men you never imagined will vote for us. Trump’s going to do better with Latino men than you expect—probably no worse than Romney. He’s going to do better with black men than Romney ever did. And his numbers with white men will be out of sight. Every time you demand that Donald show respect to Hillary—while laughing as Hillary disrespects Donald—you push those numbers up.

“You tell us we’re a minority now? OK. We’re going to start acting like a minority. We’re going to vote like a bloc, and we’re going to vote for our bloc's champion. So long as he keeps faith with us against you, we’ll keep faith with him against you. Donald's a scam artist, you tell me. You’re from The Atlantic? Read that great book by one of your former colleagues, Jack Beatty, about Boston’s Mayor Curley, The Rascal King. Curley was a scam artist. The Boston Irish loved him for it—even when he scammed them, too—because Curley pissed off the people the Boston Irish hated and who hated them. (I can still say ‘pissed off,’ right?) It’s going to be just that way with Donald. I mean, Mr. Trump. I mean, President Trump.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/backing-donald-trump/493619/#article-comments

Jeezus, for fecks sake. I didn't think it was possible for someone to have more issues than Trump, but whoever wrote that rambling, nonsensical garbage is certainly not right. What a load of shite. :wenger:

:lol: That is the point he is trying to make. To you it may be 'nonsensical garbage' but a for a lot of people it's not, and that is why they'll vote for Trump. A lot of Americans don't care about neatly choreographed conventions. 'God, guns and country' - that is what they believe in and that is what matters to them.

Frum is possibly doing a bit of fear mongering himself to get the liberals off their ass and vote for what they believe in, but there is also a lot of truth in that article.

Last edited:
:lol: That is the point he is trying to make. To you it may be 'nonsensical garbage' but a for a lot of people it's not, and that is why they'll vote for Trump. A lot of Americans don't care about neatly choreographed conventions. 'God, guns and country' - that is what they believe in and that is what matters to them.

Frum is possibly doing a bit of fear mongering himself to get the liberals off their ass and vote for what they believe in, but there is also a lot of truth in that article.

Not everyone in the US is a hill billy or who chants Gods, guns and country.

No, but the journalist is referring to conspiratards and nutters that see a different reality than most of the nation and have latched onto Trump. Crap like apparently not allowed to say vulgar words, NWO nonsense, guns and DUIs (that person needs therapy!), illegal aliens, etc.

Also I was listening to a podcast earlier (could have been slate's gabfest) and they were saying the DNC was top heavy on experience but with little new blood coming through. Fair comment?

Yeap.

Their 'rising stars' are the Castro brothers, who have little chance of being elected to higher office, due to their home state being Texas. Gavin Newsom who was embroidered in a sex scandal years ago and now still only Lt. Gov of CA, Booker who has a very thin legislative resume. Then you get to folks with little name ID like Tom Perez, Eric Garcetti or already earmarked for House leadership like Xavier Bercera.

The old are rock stars but they don't have much time left. Biden 73, Sanders 74, Warren 66. Ditto the Clintons. And Obama seems to be going off radar once he leaves.

They have demographics ever moving in their favor though, that's something. Virginia will be lean or safe Dem within the next decade, and Texas, Arizona, North Carolina solid swing state. If they put up acceptable presidential candidates, they should get to keep the WH, but state politics will still be dominated b the GOP for a little while.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...obama-plagiarism_us_579a54c9e4b0693164c05832?
Donald Trump Jr. Accuses Obama Of Plagiarizing His Convention Speech

:lol::lol::lol: Clutching those straws tight.
Just when you thought all the charges (and counter-claims and fake news) regarding plagiarism at the national political conventions couldn't get any sillier, they did.

Now, Donald Trump Jr. is claiming that President Barack Obama's address at the Democratic National Convention (DNC) nicked a line from a speech that Trump Jr. had delivered at the Republican National Convention (RNC) the previous week:

Follow
Donald Trump Jr.

✔@DonaldJTrumpJr

I'm honored that POTUS would plagiarize a line from my speech last week. Where's the outrage? #DemsInPhilly https://twitter.com/politico/status/758653259913527296 …

4:15 PM - 28 Jul 2016

Where is the outrage? Perhaps it's being directed at the level of pettiness exhibited in this political squabbling over nothing.

First of all, reusing a single sentence taken from elsewhere (without credit) in the course of a much longer work may be slightly bad manners, but it doesn't constitute "plagiarism" (unless the sentence happens to comprise, say, the entirety of an Ogen Nash poem). Second, the line in question wasn't even original to Donald Trump Jr.

In the course of a speech delivered at the RNC on 20 July 2016, Donald Trump Jr. spoke for his father, GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump, in saying:

There’s so much work to do. We will not accept the current state of our country because it’s too hard to change. That’s not the America I know. We’re going to unleash the creative spirit and energy of all Americans. We’re going to make our schools the best in the world for every single American of every single ethnicity and background.

President Obama, in his own countering speech at the DNC the following week, used the same six-word sentence (except, Data-like, he eschewed the use of a contraction):

[W]hat we heard in Cleveland last week wasn’t particularly Republican — and it sure wasn’t conservative. What we heard was a deeply pessimistic vision of a country where we turn against each other, and turn away from the rest of the world. There were no serious solutions to pressing problems — just the fanning of resentment, and blame, and anger, and hate.

And that is not the America I know.

That's it: two lengthy speeches shared six words in common.

But even if that triviality constituted plagiarism, such charges would be flowing in reverse with respect to Trump Jr., because President Obama had used that same phrase (or something very similar) multiple times prior to Trump's use of it at the 2016 RNC.

In a 2010 speech on the economy given in Parma, Ohio, for example, President Obama said:

Instead of setting our sights higher, they’re asking us to settle for a status quo of stagnant growth and eroding competitiveness and a shrinking middle class. Cleveland, that is not the America I know. That is not the America we believe in.

In a 2012 speech about college affordability given in Ann Arbor, Michigan, President Obama said:

I want this to be a big, bold, generous country where everybody gets a fair shot, everybody is doing their fair share, everybody is playing by the same set of rules. That’s the America I know.That’s the American I want to keep.

And just a week before the 2016 Republican Convention, at a memorial service for fallen Dallas police officers, President Obama said:

We mourn fewer people today because of your brave actions. “Everyone was helping each other,” one witness said. “It wasn’t about black or white. Everyone was picking each other up and moving them away.” See, that’s the America I know.

But of course, all these pronouncements about the "America I know" (or don't know, as the case may be) long antedates Barack Obama or Donald Trump Jr. For example, when President George W. Bush delivered some remarks at the Islamic Center of Washington, D.C., in September 2001, he observed:

Women who cover their heads in this country must feel comfortable going outside their homes. Moms who wear cover must be not intimidated in America. That's not the America I know. That's not the America I value.

And Bush's father used the very same phrase on the campaign trail in 1992:

Now, you cut through all the patriotic posturing, all the tough talk about fighting back by closing out foreign goods, and look closely: That is not the American flag they're waving; it is the white flag of surrender. And that is not the America that you and I know.

Heck, even Hillary Clinton herself used that phrase several weeks before Donald Trump Jr.'s RNC speech:

[M]aking Donald Trump our commander-in-chief would be a historic mistake. It would undo so much of the work that Republicans and Democrats alike have done over many decades to make America stronger and more secure. It would set back our standing in the world more than anything in recent memory. And it would fuel an ugly narrative about who we are — that we’re fearful, not confident; that we want to let others determine our future for us, instead of shaping our own destiny. That’s not the America I know and love.

As Aaron Blake wrote of the recent spate of plagiarism charges for the Washington Post:

The Trump campaign is using this [issue] to press the idea that there is a double standard. And there is a double standard — one for actual plagiarism and one for not-actual plagiarism. Melania Trump's speechwriter admitted to inadvertent plagiarism; this stuff is simply using a common political phrase that 3 of the last 4 presidents — and potentially the next one too — have already used without copying anything. It's dozens of lifted words versus a couple words that happen to be the same.

This is an attempt to obfuscate and/or claim that the plagiarism in Melania Trump's speech wasn't a big deal. And perhaps it wouldn't have been a big deal if the Trump campaign didn't spend 36 hours making ludicrous arguments that it wasn't plagiarism — ludicrous arguments, kind of like Donald Trump Jr.'s

LAST UPDATED: 29 July 2016

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/29/donald-trump-jr-obama-plagiarized/

He's a pretty abhorrent individual.

Yeap.

Their 'rising stars' are the Castro brothers, who have little chance of being elected to higher office, due to their home state being Texas. Gavin Newsom who was embroidered in a sex scandal years ago and now still only Lt. Gov of CA, Booker who has a very thin legislative resume. Then you get to folks with little name ID like Tom Perez, Eric Garcetti or already earmarked for House leadership like Xavier Bercera.

The old are rock stars but they don't have much time left. Biden 73, Sanders 74, Warren 66. Ditto the Clintons. And Obama seems to be going off radar once he leaves.

They have demographics ever moving in their favor though, that's something. Virginia will be lean or safe Dem within the next decade, and Texas, Arizona, North Carolina solid swing state. If they put up acceptable presidential candidates, they should get to keep the WH, but state politics will still be dominated b the GOP for a little while.

Sanders seems to have inspired a lot of people to run for local elections. I'm not sure about the militant Sanders supporters, but there are is a real majority of grass root support that is intent on local elections now.

Sanders seems to have inspired a lot of people to run for local elections. I'm not sure about the militant Sanders supporters, but there are is a real majority of grass root support that is intent on local elections now.

Dems are trying to get Joaquin Castro to run against Grandpa Munster in 2018. I'll personally pay my US friends to donate for him if that's the case.

Yep, as long as there's that disconnect between people who like Trump, and those who think that his supporters are insane and out of their minds, it's going to be quite hard to even attempt at convincing those Trump supporters to switch allegiance.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — It's New York billionaire vs. New York billionaire.

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump unleashed a wave of Twitter attacks on Michael Bloomberg on Friday, responding to the sharply anti-Trump speech the former New York City mayor delivered this week at the Democratic National Convention.

"If Michael Bloomberg ran again for Mayor of New York, he wouldn't get 10% of the vote - they would run him out of town!" posted Trump. The celebrity businessman then appropriated his old nickname for his former primary rival Florida Sen. Marco Rubio to take another swipe the three-term mayor.

"'Little' Michael Bloomberg, who never had the guts to run for president, knows nothing about me. His last term as Mayor was a disaster!" Trump wrote.

The digital fusillade came just 12 hours after Trump said at campaign rally in Iowa that he wanted to take a swipe at some of the Democratic convention speakers but had been talked out of it. He did not name his intended target, but characterized him as "little." Bloomberg is listed at standing 5'8".

Bloomberg, who was elected mayor of New York in 2001 as a Republican, is now an independent and considered making a third-party run for the White House this year. He opted against the campaign for fear of siphoning votes from Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and took the stage in Philadelphia this week to condemn Trump as a "risky, reckless, and radical choice."

"Trump says he wants to run the nation like he's run his business. God help us," Bloomberg said. "Truth be told, the richest thing about Donald Trump is his hypocrisy."

He also ad-libbed a line calling Clinton a "sane, competent person" and pointedly suggested that Trump was not.

A spokesman for the former mayor, the founder of the financial news and information provider Bloomberg LP, declined to respond directly to Trump's Friday tweetstorm.

But Bloomberg's top political aide, Howard Wolfson, posted a link on Twitter to a 2013 video in which Trump, at a golf course opening, turns to Bloomberg and says "I have to say, you have been a great mayor" and reaches to shake his fellow billionaire's hand. Aides to Bloomberg also gleefully circulated to reporters links to a handful of Trump's previous tweets praising the former mayor.

Bloomberg previously had a cordial relationship with Trump, who he knew from New York's glitzy social circuit and from dealings with him as a developer. But his aides have suggested that the mayor, no stranger to funding candidates and groups for causes he supports, namely gun control, could bankroll some anti-Trump expenditures this fall.

The former mayor's fortune dwarves Trump's. Bloomberg is worth more than $47 billion, according to Forbes magazine while Trump is listed at $4.5 billion. Trump insists his fortune his north of $10 billion.

Now how childish is that.

NC assembly didn't even bother to hide their intent :lol:

Jesus, these people are advocating having no id's! What a bunch of idiots? How would they even prove they are Americans? In case of accident/emergency, if they are not in system, how can dependents be traced? In fact how do you even administer a county without knowing who live there.

Last edited:
Nothing worse than clicking on a YouTube video only to find out its a group of Young Turks muppets chatting around a table.

Bloomberg's net worth is confirmed 4 times the best made up number Drumpf can think of for his.

Besides not show the tax returns to indicate a idea of his real wealth (being much less than he claims) I suspect that he has dodgy dealings with the russians. He bought a mansion in FL for $41million and flipped it within 21/2 years to a russian oligarch for $121million. You don't become a oligarch by throwing money away that easily. Three times return within 2+ years?

Money laundering? I know the drug kingpins of the Golden Triangle of Thailand/Burma used to buy building in Bangkok to launder their money. Why not through Trump. He loves money enough.

Besides not show the tax returns to indicate a idea of his real wealth (being much less than he claims) I suspect that he has dodgy dealings with the russians. He bought a mansion in FL for $41million and flipped it within 21/2 years to a russian oligarch for $121million. You don't become a oligarch by throwing money away that easily. Three times return within 2+ years?

Money laundering? I know the drug kingpins of the Golden Triangle of Thailand/Burma used to buy building in Bangkok to launder their money. Why not through Trump. He loves money enough.

That muppet is the one who bought Monaco. I wouldn't put it past him.

The Reuters/IPSOS poll that had Hillary +5 in a head to head with Trump had her tied with him when Johnson and Stein were in the mix. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle since neither the Greens or Libertarians are on the ballot in all 50 states. Looking forward to the new post convention polls to roll in.

The Reuters/IPSOS poll that had Hillary +5 in a head to head with Trump had her tied with him when Johnson and Stein were in the mix. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle since neither the Greens or Libertarians are on the ballot in all 50 states. Looking forward to the new post convention polls to roll in.

And Johnson had more votes than Stein. SO it's making no sense. Bernie had very limited support from libertarians. I don't see any Johnson-Hillary crossover either except TPP. Maybe a lot of "don't knows" in the 2-person race go for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.