2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Cruz will stand a chance. His chance was this year when the anti-establishment sentiment was at its highest, if Trump gets elected and succeeds in his first term, that makes him a better maverick than Teddy, if it goes poorly the audience would defect to the establishment. I also think a stronger nominee like Paul Ryan will come into play by then. Basically Cruz got out crazied by The Don.

Normally i would agree, but he and Rubio are the young guns in the GOP and they are highly adaptable and will learn from their experience and be back. If Trump is President going into the next election cycle, he will have probably made a massive mess of things and get challenged by a GOP candidate in 4 years.

Normally i would agree, but he and Rubio are the young guns in the GOP and they are highly adaptable and will learn from their experience and be back. If Trump is President going into the next election cycle, he will have probably made a massive mess of things and get challenged by a GOP candidate in 4 years.

Rubio is highly adaptable, but Cruz is not. His main pull was that he's a staunch constitutional conservative with no room for compromises. He's an idealogue and therein lies his problem.

Poor guy (David Wasserman from 538)

Clinton is crushing it in early returns from rural Indiana. She’s winning Fayette County with 64 percent, Daviess with 65 percent, Whitley with 54 percent, Knox with 57 percent. These are places Sanders should be winning to win statewide. So far, the exit polls look way off and Clinton is looking pretty good.

Clinton is performing light years better in rural Indiana tonight than she did in rural Illinois and rural Michigan back in March. So far, of the 24 counties reporting results, Clinton is ahead in 21 – she’s only losing Bloomington (Monroe County) and two other small ones. While Democratic voters aren’t voting like the nomination race is over, there’s a case to be made — if these results hold — that some Democratic voters are consolidating behind Clinton now that she’s such a clear front-runner.

6:48 PM
Clinton is ahead by 15 percent AND her best expected counties (Hamilton, Lake and Marion) haven’t even reported results yet. Blowout on the Dem side?

Right on cue, initial returns from Lake County (Gary) show Clinton leading there with 65 percent. A few minutes ago, Sanders had taken the lead, thanks to strong showings in two college towns: Bloomington (Monroe County) and South Bend (St. Joseph County). But Clinton can probably count on many more favorable votes yet to be counted in minority-heavy precincts of Gary and Indianapolis. Sanders’s best outstanding area is probably Lafayette (Tippecanoe County).

7:57 PM
As more Election Day votes come in, Sanders has begun to look better and better in Indiana. I’ll admit, I didn’t anticipate his strength earlier in the night because we haven’t tended to see this big a divide between early votes and Election Day votes on the Democratic side before. At this point, Sanders is ahead in Marion County and has a real chance to win this primary.

It’s been fairly obvious for over a month that Clinton would be the Democratic nominee, while the GOP race has been much more dramatic and complex. But what’s remarkable — and distressing for Democrats — is that while Trump has made amazing gains in the GOP race that have culminated in Cruz leaving the race tonight, the Democratic race has remained fairly static, which Sanders continuing to win lower-income, less diverse states like Indiana.

The psychology of Democratic voters continues to look detached from the reality of delegate math. Trump and Clinton are both pretty much presumptive nominees at this point, but Trump is winning Indiana with about 51 percent of the vote tonight while Clinton is taking only 47 percent and could end up even lower. As Trump consolidates Republican support, it’s more apparent than ever that Clinton needs a strong Sanders endorsement to unite the Democratic base.

Sanders will be under heavy pressure to provide just that when Clinton, in all likelihood, officially clinches a majority of delegates on June 7.

This must be hurting for Cruz. It's an outsider year and if it weren't for Trump he'd be the nominee.

All that lying and grandstanding in his years in the Senate and it's taken away by a reality tv star. :lol:

Getting the Sanders supporters is not going to be easy for Clinton...
Hearing his speech today, he is still pretty much in attack mode.. and there clearly is a difference of opinion. Cant see how he can go from that to endorsing her wholeheartedly.

Trump is going to win it...

Wait so if Casich drops out as well, then will Trump automatically be nominee even if he doesn't reach the magic mark of 1237?

Wait so if Casich drops out as well, then will Trump automatically be nominee even if he doesn't reach the magic mark of 1237?
Well he'd inevitably get to 1237 because he'd be the only candidate standing in the remaining primaries.

Though even with Kasich there, he'll get that easily.

I really dont understand this decision from the Cruz campaign. His best chance is to get to a contested convention so why drop out now after all this time? Surely you along with Kasich have to do everything possible to prevent Trump from being the automatic nominee?

I really dont understand this decision from the Cruz campaign. His best chance is to get to a contested convention so why drop out now after all this time? Surely you along with Kasich have to do everything possible to prevent Trump from being the automatic nominee?
Costs money to carry on, not to mention credibility.

Kasich is essentially just enjoying a road trip, not sure where his money's coming from.

Trump just called Cruz an 'amazing, tough guy' and that he has 'an amazing future'.

Calling Ben Carson an incredible man too. And Chris Christie.

He's packing in as much free food as he can. He's on Christie levels of scoffing.
I reckon Christie must've expanded since the Trump endorsement, just through shame eating.

Trump just called Cruz an 'amazing, tough guy' and that he has 'an amazing future'.

Calling Ben Carson an incredible man too. And Chris Christie.

Perhaps courting their supporters now they've backed out and are no longer direct threats?

I just saw this link about why Citizens United's defence of political contributions (only explicit quid pro quo is bad = HRC's inconsistent position) is flawed from a legal POV.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/04/what-john-roberts-doesnt-get-about-corruption-105683

It's written by a law professor contesting a congressional seat vacated by a Republican in NY. She's been endorsed by Bernie and added on his email list (last month she got a 400k funding jump).

Given the progressivism and law school (and gender) --- Elizabeth Warren lite?

Fecking embarrassing for Hillary to lose a primary this late when she's increasingly perceived as the nominee. She should be crushing him in most primaries at this point, which is a worrying sign, especially with Trump on the ascent.

From reddit, on voting Bernie so as to stop Trump

I don't want to stop Trump, I want to stop Hillary.

mysecondattempt 210 points 5 hours ago

Agreed, I would so much rather have trump be prez than hilary

Nate_W 32 points 5 hours ago

Quick question. Do you support Bernie's policies or ideals at all? Or are you more conservative?

jm_gray 146 points 5 hours ago

I'm mostly impartial and see good ideas in both right-wing and left-wing ideologies, and can respect both. But where I'm not impartial is on the issue of the importance of things like politicians being bought, offshore tax havens, domestic safety, etc. These are all things I feel like both Bernie and Trump have the right intentions on handling, even if their methodologies are different. They both have that idea of wanting good for America- Clinton, however, has not demonstrated this with her character or actions, instead showing that she would rather act in the best interest of corporate funding. Senator Sanders and Trump have overlap, albeit in unconventional areas, yet it is those areas that speak most strongly to me.

-FingerBang- 58 points 5 hours ago

fecking hell, why is this so uncommon? So many Sanders supporters are going to vote for Hillary.

Fecking embarrassing for Hillary to lose a primary this late when she's increasingly perceived as the nominee. She should be crushing him in most primaries at this point, which is a worrying sign, especially with Trump on the ascent.
As I've been saying for a couple of months, the state of the race with the Dems has barely shifted and won't until the end. Sanders supporters are in this for the long haul, as Clinton ones were in 08 (she won 7/10 of the last primaries).

As I've been saying for a couple of months, the state of the race with the Dems has barely shifted and won't until the end. Sanders supporters are in this for the long haul, as Clinton ones were in 08 (she won 7/10 of the last primaries).

Well, we are now going to be in a situation where Trump starts hitting her and Bernie and Trump seem to be on the same side. Extremely annoying for her. She is going to have to throw Bernie a bone and make some policy concessions to his mob.

That kind of stuff just plays into Trump's 'they are trying to seal the election' narrative, and will help him. The GOP elites just need to suck it up and deal with Trump as their nominee and make the most of it.

He's referring to later. That candidate won't be in to win. Just siphon off enough votes from Trump and Hillary that neither crosses 269. And the race goes to the house.

He's referring to later. That candidate won't be in to win. Just siphon off enough votes from Trump and Hillary that neither crosses 269. And the race goes to the house.

Not sure if that would work, as a Republican leaning candidate would just siphon off votes from Trump and allow Hillary to coast to victory. A Dem leading third party candidate would do the exact same for Trump.

Well, we are now going to be in a situation where Trump starts hitting her and Bernie and Trump seem to be on the same side. Extremely annoying for her. She is going to have to throw Bernie a bone and make some policy concessions to his mob.
Or Bernie's going to have to get real and realise there's a fecking demagogue coming up in the GE and he's already lost fair and square. She's already pivoted, hasn't spent ad money on any states recently.
Worst plan ever, they'll not win any Dem states and lose a bunch of red ones including Texas.

Or Bernie's going to have to get real and realise there's a fecking demagogue coming up in the GE and he's already lost fair and square. She's already pivoted, hasn't spent ad money on any states recently.

Why should he though ? He's had millions of people vote for him who want some sort of change or concession in the process. Hillary desperately needs Bernie to support her in the Gen, so she should show his supporters who she needs against Trump, that she is willing to accept a few of their policy preferences that Bernie supported. If she plays hardball, she may wind up estranging his supporters which could cost her the election.

Not sure if that would work, as a Republican leaning candidate would just siphon off votes from Trump and allow Hillary to coast to victory. A Dem leading third party candidate would do the exact same for Trump.

Off the top of my head I can think of Utah where both Clinton and Trump are hated. Basically very solid Cruz states this might work for. The main target would be Hillary, in which case I would pick Iowa as the best target. I expect Trump to be competitive in Ohio, NH, and FL.

Off the top of my head I can think of Utah where both Clinton and Trump are hated. Basically very solid Cruz states this might work for. The main target would be Hillary, in which case I would pick Iowa as the best target. I expect Trump to be competitive in Ohio, NH, and FL.

Trouble is it would be so unpopular and cynical that voters would reject that candidate.

Or to rephrase, he should realise that the most unpopular candidate in US presidential history is coming up again her, and her unfavourables can barely sink any lower from the left/progressive side than they already have.

He's perfectly entitled to fight to the end, especially with the support he has. It's up to Clinton to continue winning over that support if she wants him to finally back out. Making some concessions may do that, and may convince any of his swaying voters to side with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.