2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
One very important thing to note is that while the GOPers are still slugging it out, Clinton has already begun to campaign in battleground states. Even in a normal race, a 2 months head start is a huge advantage, let alone an extreme case like this.

Now if only Bernie Sanders would play nice..

Why do you care about Sanders, when Trump has no chance anyway?

When your assessment is right, that 70%+ of women and the super majority of Latinos don´t vote for Trump, the election is over before it begins. I doubt that those numbers are really reliable. Even the “data gurus” from 538 are fairly cautious about making any prediction about the general election yet.

Nobody is arguing that Trump is favorite, yet at the same time he does have a realistic shot at winning (at least 10%; probably a lot higher). He´ll be running against another very unpopular candidate who has a lot of skeletons in her closet. Trump will be able to turn that into a mud-slinging contest and despite all our outrage about him: Many of the terrible things that he says are not that unpopular.

Yeah American don't do this.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...8366-poll-trump-has-2-point-lead-over-clinton

Donald Trump leads Hillary Clinton by 2 points in a head-to-head matchup, according to a newRasmussen Reports telephone survey.

Trump gets 41 percent to Clinton's 39 percent in the new poll.

This poll differs from recent polling, which all show Clinton, the Democratic presidential front-runner, holding a lead over her Republican counterpart. According to the RealClearPolitics average of polls, Clinton has a 7.3 point lead over Trump, 47.4 to 40.1 percent.
Just last week, Clinton and Trump tied in another Rasmussen poll in which each won 38 percent. In that survey, voters were also allowed to answer that they would stay home and not vote for either candidate.

According to the latest Rasmussen poll, 15 percent of respondents would prefer some other candidate and 5 percent were undecided.

The recent poll also found that Trump does twice as well among Democrats as Clinton does among Republicans in a matchup between the two candidates.

Trump takes 15 percent support of Democrats in a general election matchup between Trump and Clinton, but Clinton takes just 8 percent of GOP voters.

Trump has 73 percent support of Republicans, and Clinton has 77 percent support of Democrats in a matchup.

The survey was conducted from April 27 to 28 among 1,000 likely voters. The margin of error is 3 percentage points.

There's a hilarious video making the rounds with Cruz arguing face to face with Trump supporters, who are calling him Lyin' Ted.

And it's Rasmussen. Double ignore.

So do people still believe that Trump is going to pivot to the centre if when he wins?

Sanders clears those margins as well (he's +15 vs Trump) :D
What do you think of Bernie's supposed convention demand of open primaries in all 50 states? Seems a dumb move to me, losing caucuses isn't going to help any progressive challengers. Should switch to asking for allowing same-day registration in closed states.

What do you think of Bernie's supposed convention demand of open primaries in all 50 states? Seems a dumb move to me, losing caucuses isn't going to help any progressive challengers. Should switch to asking for allowing same-day registration in closed states.

I agree with you, it's a private party and there's potential for sabotage. But deadlines like NY are really stupid, it's very possible you don't know whom you're voting for months in advance (and many voters decide in the last week).
At the same time, open primaries could expand the Dem base -- but I'm not sure it's the type of grassroots the party wants.

So do people still believe that Trump is going to pivot to the centre if when he wins?
depends on what you consider to be the centre. Strong nationalism, economic populism and anti-establishment views are pretty mainstream this election cycle. With the exception of building a wall, his policy proposals are more moderate than those of Cruz (or Rubio). The idea that he can only appeal to few right-wing lunatics is imo fairly dangerous. Yes, maybe the white middle and working class is just rejecting him for all his nonsense, but I wouldn´t bet on that.

Why do you care about Sanders, when Trump has no chance anyway?

When your assessment is right, that 70%+ of women and the super majority of Latinos don´t vote for Trump, the election is over before it begins. I doubt that those numbers are really reliable. Even the “data gurus” from 538 are fairly cautious about making any prediction about the general election yet.

Nobody is arguing that Trump is favorite, yet at the same time he does have a realistic shot at winning (at least 10%; probably a lot higher). He´ll be running against another very unpopular candidate who has a lot of skeletons in her closet. Trump will be able to turn that into a mud-slinging contest and despite all our outrage about him: Many of the terrible things that he says are not that unpopular.

It has been hilarious to read or listen to 538's data gurus and Nate Silver in particular this year. Actually, I will correct that, it quite painful to read Nate Silver's 'opinion' pieces about every other Trump victory. (Though to be fair to him, he constantly links to his earlier articles where he had brushed off his chances). From some one who could confidently look at data and make a sound prediction using whatever model he had, to a run of the mill also-ran political pundit making false prediction and then justifying the adverse result after the fact.

It just shows, that polling can be difficult. To their credit, they are quite open about their mistakes. It is probably not a smart idea to come out with strong claims at the moment, when the circumstances are so unique and volatile.

To some extend my fear is, that Clinton makes the same mistake, that the other GOP candidates did. They thought that Trump would implode on his own, but it never happened and they were never able to catch-up. Clinton winning the general election is not a foregone conclusion, especially when she can´t come up with a stronger message. Not being Trump and "preserving the legacy of Obama" is not necessarily enough to inspire enthusiasm.

It's painful viewing. It's impossible to feel sorry for cruz the cnut, but that video almost makes it possible.

Watched it a few more times from different angles. I can't for the life of me figure out what Cruz was thinking attempting to mix it up with a bunch of rowdy Trump fans. There was only one way that was going to end.

Watched it a few more times from different angles. I can't for the life of me figure out what Cruz was thinking attempting to mix it up with a bunch of rowdy Trump fans. There was only one way that was going to end.

Cruz is not a mucker though. He was hoping that the video will go viral and he will get sympathy votes for undecided republicans seeing what sort of mindless masses he has to pitch his ideas to. That's why he kept his cool and tried to 'reason' with the mob.

@Ubik
On the Sanders subreddit, I saw some convincing arguments for open primaries. Independents are now the single largest voting block in the country and this increases with age. If the GOP sticks with populists not named Trump, that's a huge block waiting to be picked up. Obama lost independents in the last election, and it doesn't bode well for the party to push them out more while the Republicans (are forced to) embrace them.
Of course, this is also the problem of classifying independents as one homogeneous block.

And another strong point: primaries take financing from the state governments and thus aren't purely private party affairs.

@Ubik
On the Sanders subreddit, I saw some convincing arguments for open primaries. Independents are now the single largest voting block in the country and this increases with age. If the GOP sticks with populists not named Trump, that's a huge block waiting to be picked up. Obama lost independents in the last election, and it doesn't bode well for the party to push them out more while the Republicans (are forced to) embrace them.
Of course, this is also the problem of classifying independents as one homogeneous block.

And another strong point: primaries take financing from the state governments and thus aren't purely private party affairs.
That's the key thing, almost all of those will lean one way or the other, and it's also directly related to the levels of party reg for Dems and Repubs. Take a look at the Gallup figures - http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx - Dems have a solid lead among registration, and this will likely increase as the election comes closer. Including leaners, the lead is even larger. Then comes the bigger benefit of having closed elections - you greatly increase your voter database for the main campaign, which has knock-on effects at all levels. Take Nevada, where Harry Reid pushed for a high profile caucus at the start of the calendar because it helps give the Dems a huge registration advantage come November. And it works, registration in Nevada is outpacing both 2008 and 2012 currently - https://www.ralstonreports.com/blog...blicans-voter-reg-last-month-ominous-sign-gop

Plus, the party is never going to cede significant control to people outside the party - if everything went into open primaries, you can expect superdelegates to be given even more power as a counterbalance. Best system is basically what they've got now with a mix of systems, and just making closed primaries easier to register for, which benefits the party in the end as it gives them an even bigger voter list. You'd much rather have a big lead in voter registration come November than having to rely on pitching to independent voters that you don't actually know much about.

A lot of republicans dismissing Trump as 'cynically exploiting the anger that is prevailing for his own gains', but isn't that what the Tea Party faction did? Whip up the crowd and block every welfare move. Now some other cnut is doing it better than they did and they are crying foul.

This was a Rubio style last minute straw clutch. He's basically just expressing his frustration at Trump after realizing he is basically finished.

Once Rubio descended to the Donald's level, Donald beat him with experience. He's doing the same to Cruz. Trump camp just released a statement questioning Cruz' temperament to lead the country. Mighty rich coming from the Donald, but he gets his votes. :nervous:

Didn't look like a meltdown to me.

Didn't look like a human being either but that's by the by...
"Cruz looks like someone sewed pieces of a waterlogged Reagan mask together at gunpoint." - Rolling Stone

So instead of Joe the plumber we have Bo the miner, but he seems like a decent guy.

I'll never get why they care so deeply about such a shitty job.

Defending Heidi against the Trump ugly police, talking about Trump and STDs. All extremely cringeworthy. I'd imagine Ted will call it quits if he gets hammered today.

Status
Not open for further replies.