2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit, I even had to do an essay to prove that I could write english to a certain level. The fact that I was a fecking englishman didn't matter to the administration. I ended up getting a letter from the dean saying it was one of the best they had read in many years.

I shudder to think how bad the average ones were.

The beauracracy was stifling and I had many run-ins.

tragic that people who have PhDs are struggling in this economy, when they are the people we need.
That somewhat depends what their doctorate is in... There has been some frivolous ones to say the least (though in the minority)
My personal experience of interviewing people with a PhD is that some of them are certainly more suited to academia than a commercial environment and some others have an over inflated perception of their worth.
Not all but certainly based on my experience I think some of them will always struggle for work

That somewhat depends what their doctorate is in... There has been some frivolous ones to say the least (though in the minority)
My personal experience of interviewing people with a PhD is that some of them are certainly more suited to academia than a commercial environment and some others have an over inflated perception of their worth.
Not all but certainly based on my experience I think some of them will always struggle for work

I don't know what you mean by frivolous. In the arts? But the fact remains, we need professors in colleges without having to bring people from overseas. People who struggle to even speak the language though they may be brilliant.

Whether academia or commerce this is investment we need.

I don't know what you mean by frivolous. In the arts? But the fact remains, we need professors in colleges without having to bring people from overseas. People who struggle to even speak the language though they may be brilliant.

Whether academia or commerce this is investment we need.
Anyone who is serious in academia speaks good English. Pretty much every important journal/conference is on English.

US universities (especially the top ones) are depended on foreign professors, but I don't think that is a problem. After all, US universities (and industry) pay the best wages, so it is fair game for them to get the best professors/researchers/students in the world. Which in turn will contribute to US economy.

Anyone who is serious in academia speaks good English. Pretty much every important journal/conference is on English.

US universities (especially the top ones) are depended on foreign professors, but I don't think that is a problem. After all, US universities (and industry) pay the best wages, so it is fair game for them to get the best professors/researchers/students in the world. Which in turn will contribute to US economy.

I was remembering a comment by someone who said they struggled to understand what his professor was saying some years ago.

I was remembering a comment by someone who said they struggled to understand what his professor was saying some years ago.
It can happen even with the native speakers to struggle understanding what some other native speaker is saying.

But usually, that isn't a problem. Some of the best US professors are foreign.

Frankly, not downplaying the hardship of our PhDs here, but lack of vocational training, on the job training and job prospect for liberal arts students are bigger problem than research's funding.

It's one of my biggest pet peeve with folks my age nowadays. Why would you waste 3/4 years of your life, lots of money and have virtually no decent job prospect for a degree that's fun to learn but of almost no practical use?

One of my classes had a tiny debate on the relevance of PhDs. I was defending them. While preparing we realised that we would have to defend literature/philo PhDs too, we all died inside. Then I came up with what is surely my biggest stroke of genius: "we are having a debate, the debate is a concept that originated among philosophers in Greece, thus humanities is relevant"
Fortunately being a myopic science class, no one brought it up.

About humanities degrees in general, I read that in Germany a bachelors degree is not the norm. There are technical undergrad degrees and even commerically-oriented PhDs alongside the more traditional courses. Seems like a model worth following.

One of my classes had a tiny debate on the relevance of PhDs. I was defending them. While preparing we realised that we would have to defend literature/philo PhDs too, we all died inside. Then I came up with what is surely my biggest stroke of genius: "we are having a debate, the debate is a concept that originated among philosophers in Greece, thus humanities is relevant"
Fortunately being a myopic science class, no one brought it up.

About humanities degrees in general, I read that in Germany a bachelors degree is not the norm. There are technical undergrad degrees and even commercially-oriented PhDs alongside the more traditional courses. Seems like a model worth following.

In Germany, it is very popular to do a Phd while working in a company. For example of of my friends did a Phd while working at Docomo, even I had a call for the same program but did want to do a phD.

About humanities degrees in general, I read that in Germany a bachelors degree is not the norm. There are technical undergrad degrees and even commerically-oriented PhDs alongside the more traditional courses. Seems like a model worth following.
Yep, in Germany (and also Austria) while the PhD lasts three years (an another problem with European PhDs), there are some industry-PhD which usually last 6 years or so, when the student gets payed from a company to do his PhD which usually lasts 6 years (so a part time PhD). I don't think it is a good idea though. A research is a full time job, no idea how you can get concentrated to do it in addition to a job.

The 6 years PhD American system is spot on IMO. Three years you get ready for it while also doing research and then on the next three years is full research. Assuming that you can pass the first three years, of course.

Shit, I even had to do an essay to prove that I could write english to a certain level. The fact that I was a fecking englishman didn't matter to the administration. I ended up getting a letter from the dean saying it was one of the best they had read in many years.

I feel so guilty, I teach those foreign students in entry courses to get into uni :D

Seriously though, we know it's a money making scheme. For some schools more than others, not all of the feeder schools have bargain basement standards and actually hold the students to academic account.

Horrified I am at my current one, really horrified, and I feel so much sympathy for the lecturer down the line who's going to have these folks in his first year class.

It's going to be great if Cruz and Kasich do manage to prolong it to the convention :D

:nervous:

I had a Chinese professor for a graduate level engineering course who was terrible but she was one of the leading researchers in the field at that time so if you wanted to learn that course, you had no other option.

What does it say for America when, with all the millions and millions of people, that these fecking backstabbing, lying imbeciles and crooks are the ones jostling in line for the big job. Staggering.

The whole PhD and university debate in here is quite interesting. Could we move that to an extra thread?

Frankly, not downplaying the hardship of our PhDs here, but lack of vocational training, on the job training and job prospect for liberal arts students are bigger problem than research's funding.

It's one of my biggest pet peeve with folks my age nowadays. Why would you waste 3/4 years of your life, lots of money and have virtually no decent job prospect for a degree that's fun to learn but of almost no practical use?

Reducing education to it's relevance in terms of getting a job is incredibly... reductionist.

And I say that as someone who has a STEM degree, currently pursuing another one.

I had a Chinese professor for a graduate level engineering course who was terrible but she was one of the leading researchers in the field at that time so if you wanted to learn that course, you had no other option.

heck. Yeah. It was Chinese professor too. cant remember the course though.

But I suppose if you cant get people locally.. But these lads like Revan and Berba...

Hey. Trump did say he wants to retain top people who come to study here.

;) right lads vote Trump.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.