2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are already reports that early voters in Indiana are switching from Kasich to Trump due to outrage over the new backroom Cruz/Kasich coalition. I'm going to enjoy watching Cruz's political career completely implode to where he will never be taken seriously as a Presidential candidate again.

As for me, I'll be negatively affected by the xenophobia of Trump's candidacy, but if Hillary manages a budget deal, I'll be scared for my career (which is obviously screwed if Trump gets in)
Can you please explain a bit here?

Even if there is a terrorist attack a few days before the election... Terrorists who came in through Mexico
I'm sure the Don can arrange something and I put nothing past him
Right wing nutters (and Red Dreams*) might think that Trump will make them more secure, but not sure that the other people will think so. Cannot see Trump winning this any under circumstances.

* 3, 2, 1 - You're not getting this response

There are already reports that early voters in Indiana are switching from Kasich to Trump due to outrage over the new backroom Cruz/Kasich coalition. I'm going to enjoy watching Cruz's political career completely implode to where he will never be taken seriously as a Presidential candidate again.

Trump will be the nominee. This only shows the desperation of the GOP

Can you please explain a bit here?

NIH/NSF funding isn't a GOP favourite. In the Senate, Elizabeth Warren is the only one who repeatedly and publicly speaks about it. I'm scared it could be cut in a budget compromise.

I'm now in my 3rd lab, I couldn't join the 1st 2 not because of a personal failing but because they were both out of money for new students/research. My current prof has told me she will check lab finances and get back later.

NIH/NSF funding isn't a GOP favourite. In the Senate, Elizabeth Warren is the only one who repeatedly and publicly speaks about it. I'm scared it could be cut in a budget compromise.

I'm now in my 3rd lab, I couldn't join the 1st 2 not because of a personal failing but because they were both out of money for new students/research. My current prof has told me she will check lab finances and get back later.
Aren't most of the unis on US privately funded and loaded on money?

Anyway, financial constraints for research seem to be a problem everywhere. In Europe is far worse.

The college system is fecking disgraceful. All they care about is enrolling as many people as possible to pay extortionate fees and to make as much money out of textbooks, college sports and whatever else to pay the administration's massive wages.

@Ubik
It's also disingenious to write that the current polls are a rejection of his policies in favour of centrism.
A lot of polling has shown that she is favour because of "commander-in-chief"-ness/experience, winnability, and name recognition. Going policy-by-policy, he wins among the US public and thus the Dems too.
You can't cite a poll that provides a sample with uncosted, piecemeal policies and use it as proof that they're more popular. If you want actual evidence from many thousands of confirmed Democrats, who aren't taking in part in pure hypotheticals but instead in a contested election, look at the exit polls and the results on whether people want more liberal policies than the Obama admin.

She's winning because of all those things you mention, and because a majority of Democrats want the continuation of Obama's programme. Which Sanders thinks is too moderate.

Some numbers from some states to emphasise -
Ohio - 51-32 continue with Obama's policies
Virginia - 60-30 continue
Florida - 55-25 continue
New York - 52-32 continue
Michigan - 50-31 continue
Illinois - 55-32 continue
Mass - 45-34 continue
Oklahoma (which he won by double digits) - 38-31 continue
Wisconsin (ditto) - 52-34 continue

The sole exception I've found, which was 42-40 in favour of more liberal policies, was New Hampshire. And that had a further 13% in favour of less liberal policies. (EDIT - and Vermont too, naturally. 49% in favour of more liberal).

So yeah, pretty sure I'm not being disingenuous, at all.

The college system is fecking disgraceful. All they care about is enrolling as many people as possible to pay extortionate fees and to make as much money out of textbooks, college sports and whatever else to pay the administration's massive wages.
I read an article recently about the cash reserves of the top business schools, iirc Harvard had reserves of something like £2bn! It's obscene.

Aren't most of the unis on US privately funded and loaded on money?

Anyway, financial constraints for research seem to be a problem everywhere. In Europe is far worse.

It's a private univ but the research funding is through NIH/NSF grants. I can pay for myself by TA-ing but the univ has a cap on the number of people in 1 lab that are TAs. And the lab also needs money for equipment, sequencing, etc. The univ only pays the professors' salary (and mine if I TA)
The reason I chose US over Europe was because my funding was guaranteed for 2 years here while I would need a scholarship for Europe. UK was the worst - expensive, no real funding options from the university, and some places charge tuition during a PhD!!! Some of the Scandinavian univs did have stipends, as did the Max Plancks but by the time I found out I had made huge lists (30 univs, ~200 profs) for the US and didn't have the energy to re-do it for Europe.

My friend in ETH told me their stipends go from 50-70k francs/year. :eek::eek::eek:

@Grinner
I'm a PhD student; those extortionate fees will one day pay my stipend :)
But yes, my classmates who are from the US have student debt and the amounts are insane. It's not a surprise that someone promising free tuition in public univs got support from college kids.

I am not sure Grinner. The problem is that it is too costly to do good research. It is the reason why docs and post-docs are barely able to survive on the wages they get.

Here in Europe we pay small taxes for college (in some countries like Germany no taxes at all), and we are hundreds of students in the classroom. When it come to research is even worse. First of all, as a PhD I will get payed around the same as someone who works on McDonalds, and in addition we'll have almost no extra money. There is no way that I can attend conferences outside of Europe, and I would be lucky to attend two-three conferences per year in Europe.

that does not mean he should not do his best to represent us until the convention.
I've always been under the impression that the main purpose of the primaries is to select the candidate representing the party, which is basically done and dusted. (Hoping Sanders take California by 60% is just illogical)

Don't you support an individual TV deal in the PL?
Your point being?

It's a private univ but the research funding is through NIH/NSF grants. I can pay for myself by TA-ing but the univ has a cap on the number of people in 1 lab that are TAs. And the lab also needs money for equipment, sequencing, etc. The univ only pays the professors' salary (and mine if I TA)
The reason I chose US over Europe was because my funding was guaranteed for 2 years here while I would need a scholarship for Europe. UK was the worst - expensive, no real funding options from the university, and some places charge tuition during a PhD!!! Some of the Scandinavian univs did have stipends, as did the Max Plancks but by the time I found out I had made huge lists (30 univs, ~200 profs) for the US and didn't have the energy to re-do it for Europe.

My friend in ETH told me their stipends go from 50-70k francs/year. :eek::eek::eek:

@Grinner
I'm a PhD student; those extortionate fees will one day pay my stipend :)
But yes, my classmates who are from the US have student debt and the amounts are insane. It's not a surprise that someone promising free tuition in public univs got support from college kids.

Switzerland is a unique case.

UK is arguably the worst considering that they barely pay non-EU students, while at times might even want them to pay ~15k per year to do PhD. Essentially, pay to work like a slave and to increase the university reputation by your papers :lol:

Scandinavia is quite good I think, but the climate is shit so I avoided it. Germany gives around 1300EUR per month, while Italy around 1050EUR per month. In addition, I will have 750 EUR extra to do research on the first year, and double that on the second/third year :lol:

Complain for what you want, but don't complain about the research in US ;)

I've always been under the impression that the main purpose of the primaries is to select the candidate representing the party, which is basically done and dusted. (Hoping Sanders take California by 60% is just illogical)

as I said . This is not a horse race.

Its about candidates representing our views. To vote for someone just because the other person is more evil is to perpetuate a broken system.

I read an article recently about the cash reserves of the top business schools, iirc Harvard had reserves of something like £2bn! It's obscene.
£2bn? That seems to be very low figure for basically the most famous school in the world.

I actually just found the article and it's $3.3bn, and that's just the business school, not the whole of Harvard.
Yep. Harvard's annual budget is around 30b, Stanford isn't far behind it.

Top unis in US have crazy amount of money. For comparison, Cambridge has a budget of around 6b, Techincal University of Munich around 2b.

You can't cite a poll that provides a sample with uncosted, piecemeal policies and use it as proof that they're more popular. If you want actual evidence from many thousands of confirmed Democrats, who aren't taking in part in pure hypotheticals but instead in a contested election, look at the exit polls and the results on whether people want more liberal policies than the Obama admin.

She's winning because of all those things you mention, and because a majority of Democrats want the continuation of Obama's programme. Which Sanders thinks is too moderate.

Some numbers from some states to emphasise -
Ohio - 51-32 continue with Obama's policies
Virginia - 60-30 continue
Florida - 55-25 continue
New York - 52-32 continue
Michigan - 50-31 continue
Illinois - 55-32 continue
Mass - 45-34 continue
Oklahoma (which he won by double digits) - 38-31 continue
Wisconsin (ditto) - 52-34 continue

The sole exception I've found, which was 42-40 in favour of more liberal policies, was New Hampshire. And that had a further 13% in favour of less liberal policies. (EDIT - and Vermont too, naturally. 49% in favour of more liberal).

So yeah, pretty sure I'm not being disingenuous, at all.

Fair enough, if I get the time I'll dig up some more polling which I saw which indicates that probably the electorate itself isn't sure about what it wants.
For example, the numbers from Wisconsin I had posted about earlier - Bernie won among those who wanted less liberal policies, (lost with the continue crowd, won big at both ends).

@Revan
I'm very happy with my stipend (I think it had come up earlier on this thread with Raoul), it's the research funding being cut that scares me. And the other numbers from Europe are scary! Of course, UK is easily the worst. My original plan was to do a postdoc in a nice city in Europe but I know that getting funding is almost impossible.

@Revan
I'm very happy with my stipend (I think it had come up earlier on this thread with Raoul), it's the research funding being cut that scares me. And the other numbers from Europe are scary! Of course, UK is easily the worst. My original plan was to do a postdoc in a nice city in Europe but I know that getting funding is almost impossible.

Yep, research money here is atrocious. I think that I am fecked on my PhD and probably will regret why I didn't try in US (and obviously prepare for it from a few years before). Try to stay there matey, unless you can find a good post doc position in a top uni here (they usually pay more and give more money to research).

On the other side, the salary for professors isn't far worse than in US, though the biggest problem is how to become a professor (although I guess that problem is there too, with number of good PhD students being far bigger than the number of positions for new professors).

Don't worry @berbatrick, my friend was in a similar position during his post-doc in US, when it looked like he would have to come back to India due to funding being pulled, before he was hired by Apple. I am sure you will find a cushy job in corporate America as well after your PhD. ;)

Frankly, not downplaying the hardship of our PhDs here, but lack of vocational training, on the job training and job prospect for liberal arts students are bigger problem than research's funding.

It's one of my biggest pet peeve with folks my age nowadays. Why would you waste 3/4 years of your life, lots of money and have virtually no decent job prospect for a degree that's fun to learn but of almost no practical use?

What angered me is that they just let any old dumbass into college and then have to tailor the curriculum and teach to that sort of level. There were kids in my classes who couldn't write a coherent sentence. I was amazed at the thickness of some of these kids. College should be for the upper echelon with community colleges for the not-so-bright.

I only went to a CSU too...nothing particularly special. I pissed my way to a 3.9 and highest honours. It wasn't challenging at all.

education is where we need to invest. But tell that to the politicians owned by the super rich.
In an ideal world, yes. However it seems that no system is that good of it (of course, bar those of ultra rich small countries).

US have great research money in addition to great wages after it, but then students need to pay 200k during their education. On the other hand Europe has basically no college taxes, but also not much research money while also having lesser wages after they graduate. In fact, nowadays a large percentage of students go for a master degree after they finish the college, maybe because the lack of jobs.

Frankly, not downplaying the hardship of our PhDs here, but lack of vocational training, on the job training and job prospect for liberal arts students are bigger problem than research's funding.

It's one of my biggest pet peeve with folks my age nowadays. Why would you waste 3/4 years of your life, lots of money and have virtually no decent job prospect for a degree that's fun to learn but of almost no practical use?

Yep, doing a graduate degree (or even an undergraduate degree) in arts nowadays is a sure path to poverty.

What angered me is that they just let any old dumbass into college and then have to tailor the curriculum and teach to that sort of level. There were kids in my classes who couldn't write a coherent sentence. I was amazed at the thickness of some of these kids. College should be for the upper echelon with community colleges for the not-so-bright.

I only went to a CSU too...nothing particularly special. I pissed my way to a 3.9 and highest honours. It wasn't challenging at all.
It depends on the college though. Top ones explain stuff faster than the speed of light.

o
Yep, research money here is atrocious. I think that I am fecked on my PhD and probably will regret why I didn't try in US (and obviously prepare for it from a few years before). Try to stay there matey, unless you can find a good post doc position in a top uni here (they usually pay more and give more money to research).

On the other side, the salary for professors isn't far worse than in US, though the biggest problem is how to become a professor (although I guess that problem is there too, with number of good PhD students being far bigger than the number of positions for new professors).

That's another part of my master plan fecked. I wanted to return home after the postdoc but the Indian govt destroyed research funding last year: http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/govt-tells-labs-fund-research-by-yourself/article7811265.ece
:lol:

The backup plan is to be a RA for life. :lol: again. I don't think I'll be able to get a tenure position in the US given the stats I read.

Also, since PhD is the new undergrad:
Free tuition for doctoral students-
Hillary 2016.
After all, her undergrad promise is mostly continuing the current situation. :p

@crappycraperson
I am right now studying archaeal microbes from an evolutionary perspective. If it has any relevance or application in the real/corporate world, I'd be most interested to find out :D

Yep, doing a graduate degree (or even an undergraduate degree) in arts nowadays is a sure path to poverty.

It depends on the college though. Top ones explain stuff faster than the speed of light.

I should have done graduate school but wanted to get to work after 3 years of pissing about.

A thousand time this.

I attend the no.1 (supposedly) university here, it destroyed my soul the first 6 months due to the time I sat in pain in tutorials waiting for a foreign student trying to speak English. Have some standards ffs, I pay 40k a year for that shit.

In an ideal world, yes. However it seems that no system is that good of it (of course, bar those of ultra rich small countries).

US have great research money in addition to great wages after it, but then students need to pay 200k during their education. On the other hand Europe has basically no college taxes, but also not much research money while also having lesser wages after they graduate. In fact, nowadays a large percentage of students go for a master degree after they finish the college, maybe because the lack of jobs.

At least if they had interest free student loans, it would be a start. But I do agree that over here, even though they do have large loans, with the right degree, they can easily pay them off and make a lot.

Still I think we need to invest in our young people. The very best investment.

o

That's another part of my master plan fecked. I wanted to return home after the postdoc but the Indian govt destroyed research funding last year: http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/govt-tells-labs-fund-research-by-yourself/article7811265.ece
:lol:

The backup plan is to be a RA for life. :lol: again. I don't think I'll be able to get a tenure position in the US given the stats I read.

Also, since PhD is the new undergrad:
Free tuition for doctoral students-
Hillary 2016.
After all, her undergrad promise is mostly continuing the current situation. :p

@crappycraperson
I am right now studying archaeal microbes from an evolutionary perspective. If it has any relevance or application in the real/corporate world, I'd be most interested to find out :D
You can try your luck in Europe for tenured tracks. The language will be a problem though considering that undergraduate degrees in virtually every European state are done in the native language. However, if you come from a good US school, you will have a headstart against native students (assuming that you learn the language first).

RA for life sucks. It means being poor for life. RA is worthy only for a few years in order to get after that a tenured position.

A thousand time this.

I attend the no.1 (supposedly) university here, it destroyed my soul the first 6 months due to the time I sat in pain in tutorials waiting for a foreign student trying to speak English. Have some standards ffs, I pay 40k a year for that shit.

I recall getting a B for an examination essay that I wrote. The teacher said it was the best essay she'd read in years and covered the subject masterfully but she marked me down because I didn't quote enough of the assigned reading material. The fact that I'd pulled most of it out of my head just didn't work for her.

I didn't leave her room till she gave me the A.

Just graduated with a perfect score from an Italian university (master degree in CS) despite that during these 2.5 years I made over 15k posts in the Caf.

Bar top 20-50 or so schools in the world, the other are incredibly not challenging. You can get top scores (or near it) without studying the entire day.

At least if they had interest free student loans, it would be a start. But I do agree that over here, even though they do have large loans, with the right degree, they can easily pay them off and make a lot.

Still I think we need to invest in our young people. The very best investment.

Despite the criticism the university system is better in US. Assuming that you go for the right degree, you'll get much more money during your career than in Europe (even after you pay those 200k that you loaned for studies). Although that is directly linked to the US economy being more stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.