2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friedman is correct. If Sanders stopped his half thought out bleating about breaking up the banks and more about job creation he would be received much better among business people. As it stands, you will see massive capital flight from the US if Bernie is elected (which he won't be) since corporations are already burdened with the highest corporate tax rates in the developed world.

I think I prefer and believe more in watching the real time proof of his modern business acumen in this modern economy than the tired old right wing talking points of capital flight and those poor American corporations overburdened by tax. LOL. We shall see . . .

I also suppose we´re going to see California and New York´s businesses go down the shithole after the 15 dollar an hour minimum wage increases. LOL.

I think I prefer and believe more in watching the real time proof of his modern business acumen in this modern economy than the tired old right wing talking points of capital flight and those poor American corporations overburdened by tax. LOL. We shall see . . .

Can you name any business entity other than Ben and Jerry's who would be excited at a Sanders Presidency and higher taxation ?

University of Virginia and ANU grad here. Melbourne is so much better than any other city in Australia. Victoria on the whole is pretty cool....driving on Great Ocean Road!

the weather is worse than Sydney's, but it's incredibly diverse with a vibrant subculture scene. I live right in the CBD so it's never short of things to do, albeit the lion share of my time is spent working to cover for the ruinous tuition fees :lol:. Always wanted to go to Canberra but haven't had the opportunity. If you ever go back, feel free to hit me up.

Can you name any business entity other than Ben and Jerry's who would be excited at a Sanders Presidency and higher taxation ?

Could you name any other Senator who rejected the Iraq war, badgered congress over what was going to happen in 2008, warned years ago of these Panama sham, and has gone on to exhibit such brilliant entrepreneurial skills to run such a brilliant campaign? I think I´ll take his view over yours, somehow.

Remember what happened when Clinton raised taxes?

Could you name any other Senator who rejected the Iraq war, badgered congress over what was going to happen in 2008, warned years ago of these Panama sham, and has gone on to exhibit such brilliant entrepreneurial skills to run such a brilliant campaign? I think I´ll take his view over yours, somehow.

You're ducking it. This isn't about the Iraq War or 2008. We're talking about the present economic situation. Can you name any business entity that is excited about a Sanders Presidency and higher taxation (which he has promised) ?

You're ducking it. This isn't about the Iraq War or 2008. We're talking about the present economic situation. Can you name any business entity that is excited about a Sanders Presidency and higher taxation (which he has promised) ?

So, does making a business entity supporting him make it right? No! Plus, I´m sure they loads. Let me look.

The mental gymnastics here is amazing. Even in the heat of the 2008 campaign, Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama never called each other unqualified. It's one of the gravest insult you could hurl at each other. Social media is exploding over this, Hillary's base is fired up and the MSM coverage is damaging to say the least.

A good play would be to keep her base complacent while campaigning to pick off pocket of votes that can win him some congressional districts in NY to peel off delegates. This one is a colossal mistake and he's just kissed goodbye to the Dem base. You don't say that about a candidate beloved by 80% of the party.

Yes that is such a terrible insult! Much worse than attempting to lay the responsibility of dead children at his feet :lol:

I think that's the point. We're all bloody sick of 'business entities'.

Might not happen this time, but it will. Look at the crowds for Sanders and Corbyn. It's clearly what the young want, and that's only going to get stronger.

I think that's the point. We're all bloody sick of 'business entities'.

Might not happen this time, but it will. Look at the crowds for Sanders and Corbyn. It's clearly what the young want, and that's only going to get stronger.

I think Bernie is good for the race and the questions he is asking, but he there are massive holes in some of his policies that need to be scrutinized a lot more than what has been done - for his sake and the integrity of his own campaign.

Yes that is such a terrible insult! Much worse than attempting to lay the responsibility of dead children at his feet :lol:

The family of the victim made that request, and while that doesn't mean it's fair, they have the right to be frustrated with the man who claim to represent their interest but voted for the legislation that prevents them from seeking justice. Unless you think that it was all orchestrated as a cynical ploy to discredit him.

I think Bernie is good for the race and the questions he is asking, but he there are massive holes in some of his policies that need to be scrutinized a lot more than what has been done - for his sake and the integrity of his own campaign.
Ditto for Trump and most others.

@Raoul

you are simply speculating about the huge outflow of capital.
Bernie is only talking about redirecting how money is spent. Sure he wants to raise taxes. That alone is insufficient reason for capital outflow.

No, there will definitely be a lot of business who leave the US. First, the US already has the highest corporate tax rate in the civilized world, therefore businesses are already now, in the present, incentivized to pursue tax inversions by setting up shop under holding companies headquartered in foreign countries with much less rates. Its actually quite embarrassing when you consider so called social democratic states in Europe, currently have significantly less corporate taxes, which makes them much more hospitable for US companies. Second, all this class warfare talk about breaking up the banks, shafting the financial community to pay for his free shit for all programs is probably not helping. Its actually quite disgraceful and one of hte main reasons i will never support.

The last thing we want is a president who appeals to business over people.

What a load of guff.

Businesses are made up of people. Therefore the pursuit of undercutting business in what is innately a capitalist system, can be logically challenged as anti-the people.

Strange debate.

If anything Bernie has been far too kind and soft on Hillary in debates or campaign than he could have been. Most of the spikes or attacks have come from Hillary than Sanders directly.

Actually Obama in 2008 took on Hillary more harshly and there was way more material this time for Sanders' campaign to savage her but they didn't.

No, there will definitely be a lot of business who leave the US. First, the US already has the highest corporate tax rate in the civilized world, therefore businesses are already now, in the present, incentivized to pursue tax inversions by setting up shop under holding companies headquartered in foreign countries with much less rates. Its actually quite embarrassing when you consider so called social democratic states in Europe, currently have significantly less corporate taxes, which makes them much more hospitable for US companies. Second, all this class warfare talk about breaking up the banks, shafting the financial community to pay for his free shit for all programs is probably not helping. Its actually quite disgraceful and one of hte main reasons i will never support.

I understand where you are coming from.
But look at this. The amount we waste on Health Insurance. An unnecessary expense. Corporations hiding off-shore and paying zero taxes. GE pays zero taxes? how does that benefit us?

How do you think Germany for example is successful? They make sure unions have feet at the table. Unless we make full use of all our citizens, including full investment in education (this not an expense btw) we will be left behind...as we are now.

The fact that you continue parroting right wing talking points and fear mongering does not make it so. It´s actually quite embarrassing that US companies think they can set up shop in foreign companies and think they can do business as usual in the US. Maybe we need to look at this relationship much closer, plus start closing up tax loopholes. Let business be beholden to the US, not the US to business.

Businesses are made up of people. Therefore the pursuit of undercutting business in what is innately a capitalist system, can be logically challenged as anti-the people.

Yet other countries are able to do what Bernie suggests and still have strong economies.

Why do you think that is?

The fact that you continue parroting right wing talking points does not make it so. It´s actually quite embarrassing that US companies think they can set up shop in foreign companies and think they can do business as usual in the US. Maybe we need to look at this relationship much closer and start closing up tax loopholes. Let business be beholden to the US, not the US to business.

There's an easy solution to that - lower the corporate income taxes in the US so they are fair and on an equilibrium with Europeans countries. The US has a corporate tax rate of 40% - Ireland's as 12%, the global average is 24%. Get it down to a normal rate and businesses will be incentivized to keep their capital in the US system, as opposed to abroad.

The family of the victim made that request, and while that doesn't mean it's fair, they have the right to be frustrated with the man who claim to represent their interest but voted for the legislation that prevents them from seeking justice. Unless you think that it was all orchestrated as a cynical ploy to discredit him.

His position here is a valid one, firearm shops/manufacturers that legally sell firearms should not be held accountable for what lunatics do with those firearms. What DOES need to be addressed is the process by which those firearms are obtained and Bernie has regularly supported common sense gun reform. Clinton is using the situation to associate him with a terribly tragic event despite him having good reasons for voting the way he did and his tough stance on guns (check NRA grades if you think he is easy on guns). Your comment that calling someone unqualified during a nomination race is one of the worst insults possible is laughably over the top, particularly as they are attempting to paint him as responsible for child murder.

How many children have been murdered in our unnecessary war in Iraq? Which of them voted for that and which against it? Yeah that's right.... if we want to talk about who is responsible for children dying we can but it won't work out well for Hillary.

I understand where you are coming from.
But look at this. The amount we waste on Health Insurance. An unnecessary expense. Corporations hiding off-shore and paying zero taxes. GE pays zero taxes? how does that benefit us?

How do you think Germany for example is successful? They make sure unions have feet at the table. Unless we make full use of all our citizens, including full investment in education (this not an expense btw) we will be left behind...as we are now.

I think the fundamental problem for Bernie is that the US is innately a capitalist system and his policies are as he admits, social democratic. That works in smaller countries with small populations and smaller economies, but it will almost surely fail in a country where half the population (Republicans) want more deregulation, lower taxes, and less government spending (except defense of course). Introducing Bernie type ideas into the equation would merely widen the bifurcation of gridlock we are already paralyzed by.

goes against logic that.

People are the ones that drive the economy.

It's easier to pull off in a minnowish, generally homogenous European country with a small economy, where people are generally agreeable about what they want from governance; but next to impossible in the world's biggest economy that is culturally and ideologically quite heterogeneous; where half the country wants less government and half wants a combination of neutrality and more government action.

I think the fundamental problem for Bernie is that the US is innately a capitalist system and his policies are as he admits, social democratic. That works in smaller countries with small populations and smaller economies, but it will almost surely fail in a country where half the population (Republicans) want more deregulation, lower taxes, and less government spending (except defense of course). Introducing Bernie type ideas into the equation would merely widen the bifurcation of gridlock we are already paralyzed by.

Republicans want what Democrats and everyone else wants. Republicans all hated medicare. Now they love it. So they have been brainwashed into thinking Social Security is an 'entitlement' program. Really??

Its a mind set. Most people don't understand such things.

What you are saying is it is going to be difficult to get policies through. That does not invalidate them. They make economic sense.

Republicans want what Democrats and everyone else wants. Republicans all hated medicare. Now they love it. So they have been brainwashed into thinking Social Security is an 'entitlement' program. Really??

Its a mind set. Most people don't understand such things.

What you are saying is it is going to be difficult to get policies through. That does not invalidate them. They make economic sense.

They make sense to you because you happen to agree with them, but they actually don't make sense under the current capitalist system. You would have to change the American system to social democratic, for them to make sense in the states. If you leave it as the current capitalist system, they would merely be a surface nuisance that slowly erodes the system from within.

There's an easy solution to that - lower the corporate income taxes in the US so they are fair and on an equilibrium with Europeans countries. The US has a corporate tax rate of 40% - Ireland's as 12%, the global average is 24%. Get it down to a normal rate and businesses will be incentivized to keep their capital in the US system, as opposed to abroad.

It´s not that easy. Here´s something to reflect upon: http://www.cheatsheet.com/business/...-we-lower-corporate-tax-rates.html/?a=viewall

It's easier to pull off in a minnowish, generally homogenous European country with a small economy, where people are generally agreeable about what they want from governance; but next to impossible in the world's biggest economy that is culturally and ideologically quite heterogeneous and half the country wants less government and half wants a combination of neutrality and more government action.

the standard Republican defense. God I've heard that so often.

smells of racism .

untrue though.

We are all the same. Go with that mind set and see how economically those two people...black and white that were at each others thought in that Trump rally actually want the same thing and work towards the goals.

It will work.

It's easier to pull off in a minnowish, generally homogenous European country with a small economy, where people are generally agreeable about what they want from governance; but next to impossible in the world's biggest economy that is culturally and ideologically quite heterogeneous; where half the country wants less government and half wants a combination of neutrality and more government action.

I thought the whole homogeneity argument had been debunked, at least in regards to Scandinavian countries? Will try to find what I read regarding that.

Do agree that implementing some of these policies will be difficult in such a large economy but that doesn't mean they won't work at all. Will definitely be difficult to convince conservatives of this though.

We're not talking about job creation, we're talking about the government nurturing a climate for businesses to flourish in order to grow the economy, as opposed to the government behaving as a 40% shake down artist that pillages businesses for revenue that disappears into a black hole and doesn't benefit the general public.

They make sense to you because you happen to agree with them, but they actually don't make sense under the current capitalist system. You would have to change the American system to social democratic, for them to make sense in the states. If you leave it as the current capitalist system, they would merely be a surface nuisance that slowly erodes the system from within.

the fact is the Capitalist system works when you keep the majority in poverty or near poverty.

Economic ideas are not separate from political will and need. People will in the end prevail. But we can decide how it will change. But Change it Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.