2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not eveb living in the UU yet, I recently got my greencard and I'll be moving there permanently next year so if he gets elected he screws up my whole plan for the future.
If you already have your green card I wouldn't worry about it. You're a legal permanent resident and will be residing in the United States. He won't be able to change that.

Edit: Don't believe the media hype.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-lynching-of-mississippi-black-man/?tid=sm_tw

Not directly related to the election...but people like these racist scumbags are the people being drawn into Trump's corner and this is what they mean when they hear - 'Make America Great Again'

This is happening in the South today, today ffs.

He is not a racist or a murderer,” Rice’s great-aunt wrote in a Facebook post, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. “If anything, he is being tried by the media, suffering from reverse racism and placed in jail without bond.”

Fecking hell

I love it as it is, I don't see why Americans are obsessed with changing when their country is already the best place to live in.

:wenger:

It plainly isn't. High infant mortality, high unemployment (the U1 numbers cited at 5 per cent are hogwash), social mobility waning every year, the highest rates of incarceration and a fat lobby to make sure it stays that way, weekly school shootings, women's rights being chipped away at, people routinely dying or going bankrupt because of medical problems... I could go on. It's ridiculous how wealthy the US is, and yet how screwed a significant portion of its populace is.

For those that didnt see the John Oliver piece on Trump, here you go:

It is dead good.

It plainly isn't. High infant mortality, high unemployment (the U1 numbers cited at 5 per cent are hogwash), social mobility waning every year, the highest rates of incarceration and a fat lobby to make sure it stays that way, weekly school shootings, women's rights being chipped away at, people routinely dying or going bankrupt because of medical problems... I could go on. It's ridiculous how wealthy the US is, and yet how screwed a significant portion of its populace is.

I'm an immigrant and wouldn't live anywhere else. It's terrific here.

I agree. Also, I think we can say that if you make a good living and got medical insurance etc then the US is an amazing place to live.. Without that I can't really understand how anyone can think it is. (EDIT: @MarceloFalcon makes a really good point about coming from a worse situation obviously)

I've met a few americans who have moved to Norway and they are really gobsmacked when they come here.. it's like the reality of how screwed up their native country is really hits home.

Its far from perfect, and by most metrics its not as good as Norway, Denmark, Australia, Switzerland, even Germany and its neighbor to the north. But maybe something me and syrian_scholes have is that we've come from places quite worse (and him worse than me), which make claims that US government is corrupt seem like a joke.

I've been to Europe too, UK, France, Belgium and Switzerland mostly, and of course its brilliant. Organized, clean, wealthy. Every trip abroad by people from developing countries with above average awareness usually leads to thoughts of "Why are we so far behind?".

Your own country is simply outstanding by most metrics, and I'm confident it provides a better life for its average citizen than the US. The caveat is that there aren't even 6 million people in Norway. Rio de Janeiro (where I'm from) has more people in the municipality than that, ditto New York. Everything is more manageable at that size, not that it takes away Norway's and other countries' merit in achieving such high levels of development. Its just that larger countries like the US, France, UK, Germany, Russia, Japan, Brazil, China, India... every public policy faces more challenges, more variety. Plus, I believe the larger the harder, and above 100m people only the US and Japan are developed countries, above 50m you can only add France, UK, Germany and Italy to the list.

That's why I think that policy should be managed at a state and local level when possible, because federal agencies will necessarily be bloated and in some cases not suited to deal with regional particularities. But that will also lead to (and has) the differences in regional development, because some states and cities will be managed better than others, plus some of the existing advantages.

To circle back to the starting claim, its where its a personal thing. I understand what syrian_scholes means about "being the best place". Its more dynamic, more diverse, and more vast than any European country (again, I really like Western Europe too, UK specially). But I understand anyone who'd think they'd be better off elsewhere. Its just that it doesn't seem broken, in need of a full redesign. It needs tweaks, some mending, things like improving the tax code, Social Security will have to be balanced, it could use universal healthcare/insurance, certain cities need to improve their police forces and the overall situation of people in poverty, the financial sector still needs better regulation, you could use some high speed rail between certain cities. This isn't the extent of it, but not all of these things are within the purview of a President or even Congress, and even those that are couldn't be fixed in 4 years.

My final point is, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater (which the Republicans seem more eager to do). There are no easy fixes, only a lot of work to be done, by a lot of different officials, at fixing one thing at a time. And the only way to get better officials is if people vote better at every level (which they won't, so we're f'd anyways).

Pretty much this, the American dream is a fallacy.

Anyone who's lived in Europe or even Canada for a considerable time will tell you that.

I agree. Also, I think we can say that if you make a good living and got medical insurance etc then the US is an amazing place to live.. Without that I can't really understand how anyone can think it is.
I've met a few americans who have moved to Norway and they are really gobsmacked when they come here.. it's like the reality of how screwed up their native country is really hits home.

I'd like to visit Norway someday. I think in the end it depends on what someone wants from a country.

I agree. Also, I think we can say that if you make a good living and got medical insurance etc then the US is an amazing place to live.. Without that I can't really understand how anyone can think it is. (EDIT: @MarceloFalcon makes a really good point about coming from a worse situation obviously)

Also want to visit Norway someday. Its almost too good to be true as a benchmark for other countries though, with the oil revenue on top of an already great situation. And they do a great job of saving it in the national fund. Again, I can't praise them highly enough, but its hard to think that even smaller European countries could climb to the same level.

Oliver is better.
I miss Stewart. Noah is a huge step down.

Oliver is better (but, IMO, and excluding Trump and the televangelists) not as funny. Watching old Jon Stewart clips reminded me he was informative and hilarious for the full show (usually). Same goes for peak Colbert.
Jon Stewart vs Fox was always great.

Oliver is better (but, IMO, and excluding Trump and the televangelists) not as funny. Watching old Jon Stewart clips reminded me he was informative and hilarious for the full show (usually). Same goes for peak Colbert.
Jon Stewart vs Fox was always great.

Stewart v Beck was some of the best comedy ever.

Should be a pretty good day for Trump today - all he has to do is prevent Cruz from getting 50% or more in Texas, which should give Trump a proportional count of delegates and more importantly deprive Cruz of the entire 155. Trump should run the table in all other states except maybe Arkansas, but still get proportional delegates there. He should open up quite a massive lead over both Cruz and MarcoBot by the end of the day, after which they will likely get even more desperate.

Haven't had the chance to read much since the weekend - are there any chances of;

a) It becoming a 3 horse race after today? (i.e. do Carson/ Kasich still need to be on the race to serve their aims - publicity/ potential VP)?

b) Anyone but Trump winning a race outside of Texas?

Haven't had the chance to read much since the weekend - are there any chances of;

a) It becoming a 3 horse race after today? (i.e. do Carson/ Kasich still need to be on the race to serve their aims - publicity/ potential VP)?

b) Anyone but Trump winning a race outside of Texas?

Kasich and Carson are likely to keep going. In Kasich's case, he has said he is in until Ohio on the 15th. If he wins there, he will no doubt continue after that, but if he loses he will get out. Carson is basically enjoying his 15 seconds for as long as his funding allows.

As for winning outside Texas, Cruz may win Arkansas, but in the case of both states, who wins or comes in 2nd isn't particularly important since the delegates are proportional and not winner take all.

Pretty much this, the American dream is a fallacy.

Anyone who's lived in Europe or even Canada for a considerable time will tell you that.

I've lived in both Europe and Canada and actually can't tell you that.

Yeah but how long have you lived there? Have you raised families there? Gone to school? Been sick?

A total of 9 years collectively. Certainly long enough to contrast whether or not I prefer those places to the US.

Have you actually lived in the US?

Nope, I have family there but that's enough for me to realise it wouldn't be somewhere I'd enjoy living. Granted its a big place with a multitude of cultures and vibes, but after spending my entire life alternating between the Middle East and Europe, I'd find it very hard living in the US.

Nope, I have family there but that's enough for me to realise it wouldn't be somewhere I'd enjoy living. Granted its a big place with a multitude of cultures and vibes, but after spending my entire life alternating between the Middle East and Europe, I'd find it very hard living in the US.
Well I would tend to disagree with you, although I've never lived in the Middle East or Europe. I'm originally from South Africa and I've lived in the US for 22 years now. I think where you choose to live within the US would make a big difference of course but I would bet you could find a place you could call home. I really love it here and I wouldn't dream of living elsewhere.

you are close mate. I hate what she stands for. But I may still end up voting for her. Trump is too much of a lose cannon. Or I may just write in Bernie.

EDIT:

the wife and I are going to caucus for Bernie tonight. Should be fun:)
Enjoy!

probably - as I say it mostly pre dates commercial TV and certainly pre-dates it in its current guise so it probably would be difficult if not impossible to introduce a bbc type / scale broadcaster to a market without such disruption that it would probably be unfair to the commercial market.
Still the state of the "news" in america is shocking so it should be no surprise to anybody the politicians who emerge from that environment
Basically my news I get over my phone from BBC, i don't watch news on TV - only if a catastrophe happened and some links from this forum from the caftards when i have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.