2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the Dems just have so much more flexibility when it comes to electoral math. Lock up any of PA, OH or FL, win NV, CO+IA and that's pretty much it.

I'm also quite optimistic about AR. Granted, it's been ages since they won there but Bill's name must still carry some weight. We can actually see them win some Southern states they haven't won since 92 this cycle.

I don't buy it. The day NY turns R is the day Texas turns D. Every late show host will pummel Trump repeatedly for the better part of a year. The day after he won New Hampshire, the NY Daily Post front page headline was 'Dawn of the brain dead'.

stay calm and study all the changes that will happen. This is going to be a see change in American politics...and I think in the long run it will be very good.

Nothing to do with them? So men are (rightly) expected to be financially and emotionally supportive of their children but yet have no say as to whether or not they actually become parents once the act of fertilization is completed?

What if the father wants the child but the mother doesn't? Men have equal parenting responsibility but yet no say in the reproductive discussion?

I'm not saying that men should be able to 100% determine whether or not a woman gets an abortion, nor should he in cases of rape but for consensual partners, leaving the father out of the discussion entirely, when its just his child as much as hers, isn't on IMO.

Agreed on religion
It's not his body.

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant, of course in those situations then yes, but I was more meaning in a case of the father being absent. I.E. single mum, rape/abuse etc.

But Western countries holds men financially responsible for children they beget out of wedlock. Shouldn't they have a say in whether they wish to incur such an enormous financial responsibility in the first place?

*sets aside can opener and looks at worms crawling all over table --- smiles*

But Western countries holds men financially responsible for children they beget out of wedlock. Shouldn't they have a say in whether they wish to incur such an enormous financial responsibility in the first place?

This is what we'd call a load of bollocks. It's piss easy to avoid all responsibility of a child conceived outside of wedlock.

They have the choice of not having sex out of wedlock, or using protection/sterilization.

If you can't pay up, keep your pants on.

This is what we'd call a load of bollocks. It's piss easy to avoid all responsibility of a child conceived outside of wedlock.

Obviously I'm not talking about children engendered by unknown or long vanished males. But if a woman knows the father of her child and intends to claim his financial support, shouldn't he be consulted about its birth?

Yeah of course, but that's not what I meant, as if the bloke isn't present or doesn't want anything to do with the child then he has no right in the mothers choice to have an abortion or not. And a rapist/abuser certainly doesn't. Nor does a father or a judge or anyone really have the right to force his daughter or any woman to have a child she/they don't want to have. But of course in a situation where the woman wants to have the child then yes a man should be responsible for some of the financial side of it. I feel we are on the same page, I just didn't word my initial post very well, so for that, I apologise.

I don't buy it. The day NY turns R is the day Texas turns D. Every late show host will pummel Trump repeatedly for the better part of a year. The day after he won New Hampshire, the NY Daily Post front page headline was 'Dawn of the brain dead'.

Only been here a few months, so can't say I have a feel for it (and in the City bubble, haven't even seen anywhere else in the state), but also don't think NY would turn red for Trump. I'd also venture that New Yorkers are some of the least insular of Americans.

stay calm and study all the changes that will happen. This is going to be a see change in American politics...and I think in the long run it will be very good.

Always the optimist, huh? I think we're doomed sooner or later. The center is slowly disappearing, and not just in the US. I'll probably have subscribed to survivalism and will live on a ranch in 15 years.

The apparently bullet-proof rationality, in the opinions that Trump has no chance of winning the general election, doesn't seem too different from the one that a few months helped argue he would never win the republican nomination.

It's crazy times, crazy politics, possibly crazy results. Things are changing at an alarming pace everywhere (fringe parties in Greece, Spain and Portugal getting huge results), how can we predict what will happen in America with its frequent hyperbolization of non-sense.

Yeah, the Dems just have so much more flexibility when it comes to electoral math. Lock up any of PA, OH or FL, win NV, CO+IA and that's pretty much it.

I'm also quite optimistic about AR. Granted, it's been ages since they won there but Bill's name must still carry some weight. We can actually see them win some Southern states they haven't won since 92 this cycle.

I was reading about Arkansas yesterday, apparently the Southern Strategy didn't fully reach them for ages because it's so difficult to broadcast there, and it's only really in the last few years that they've gone full GOP. Both state legislatures turned massively against the Dems, House representatives went from comfortable 20% Dem wins to equally comfortable GOP wins, and they lost their Senator too. Basically I think it's lost, unfortunately, unless and until the Southern Strategy is properly untangled in the future.

Texas is winnable! New York (and California) are all but impossible for the GOP barring massive inroads with every demographic.

They have the choice of not having sex out of wedlock, or using protection/sterilization.

A realistic option in the modern world. :smirk:

A man might believe, understandably, that the woman is taking care of contraception, since she has most at stake, and the nature of the 'relationship' might be such, that he could be hunting yak in Outer Mongolia at the end of 9 months, for all she knows.

The apparently bullet-proof rationality, in the opinions that Trump has no chance of winning the general election, doesn't seem too different from the one that a few months helped argue he would never win the republican nomination.

It's crazy times, crazy politics, possibly crazy results. Things are changing at an alarming pace everywhere (fringe parties in Greece, Spain and Portugal getting huge results), how can we predict what will happen in America with its frequent hyperbolization of non-sense.

Its why I worry, ever since he started winning primaries by such huge margins I threw out the notion that he can't win in the general. I don't think its likely, but don't really give my own predictions and impressions much credit anymore.

A man might believe, understandably, that the woman is taking care of contraception, since she has most at stake, and the nature of the 'relationship' might be such, that he could be hunting yak in Outer Mongolia at the end of 9 months, for all she knows.
"you on the pill" "yeah/nope" takes a couples of seconds. You can't reasonably assume that she was expecting to feck some random that day, and if he's already in a relationship with her he's got even less of an excuse for not knowing.

I think the logic goes it's impossible for a Republican to win the required states as it stands. But like you said, Raoul has been saying for months Trump will never get the nomination. Not only does it look like he's getting it, he's getting it on what amounts to a feck-the-republicans platform.

If you are unprepared for any financial commitment towards a child you may beget out of wedlock, it's your responsibility to take the necessary preventative measures. It's not rocket science. Granted, there will be exceptions, but laws aren't made for exceptions.

I think the logic goes it's impossible for a Republican to win the required states as it stands. But like you said, Raoul has been saying for months Trump will never get the nomination. Not only does it look like he's getting it, he's getting it on what amounts to a feck-the-republicans platform.

Let's not forget the UK was headed for a Labour/Lib or Labour/SNP or Tory/Lib coalition. Nobody predicted the landslide Tory victory that happened.

Unemployment rate in Greece - 25%, in Spain - 22%, in Portugal - 12%, in USA - 5% (and still on a downward trend).

"Hey dipshit you should've worn a condom" about covers the notice he should get.

Considering that Condoms are not effective in 100% of cases, what in the (admittedly tiny) amount of occasions where a condom was worn, failed, the woman becomes pregnant and refuses to give the guy any say in if he wishes to become a parent or not, should he be financially responsible for the next 18 years?

Considering that Condoms are not effective in 100% of cases, what in the (admittedly tiny) amount of occasions where a condom was worn, failed, the woman becomes pregnant and refuses to give the guy any say in if he wishes to become a parent or not, should he be financially responsible for the next 18 years?
He can refuse paternity in that case (and hence avoid all responsibilities). Though in this scenario both parties are being dicks about it.

So can Trump carry the swing states for embattled repub senators? It seems like he's actually encouraging turnout which could be a problem for dem hopes.

So how close does he have to get to winning before the secret service bumps him off and makes it look like auto-erotic asphyxiation?

Mel Robbins is a CNN commentator, legal analyst, best-selling author and keynote speaker. In 2014, she was named outstanding news talk-radio host by the Gracie Awards. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author

(CNN)It's over. Donald Trump is the Republican nominee.

He just added Nevada to the growing list of caucus primary wins, and while he needs more delegates to clinch it, who the heck can stop him now?

He is leading in national polls and in many state polls; he's succeeded in upending rivals such as Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush and Ben Carson; and there's no one in sight who can stop him. The only question is when will the GOP embrace him? The answer: no time soon.

The establishment doesn't like him because it can't control him. Yet he's the only conservative candidate who stands a chance against Hillary Clinton. The polls may reflect Marco Rubio doing well as a conservative uniter, but no one will hammer Clinton's biggest weakness better than Trump, and that's Clinton fatigue.

Sorry, Bernie fans, the Democratic nomination is hers to lose.

Bush has limped away from the race in a manner that validates almost every insult Trump had flung at him (these are just from the past two weeks):

"Total disaster," "had to bring in mommy to take a slap at me," "zero communication skills," "weak candidate," "spent a fortune of special interest money on a Super Bowl ad," "desperate," "failed campaign," "Not a leader!" "by far the weakest of the lot," "Jeb failed as Jeb," "gave up and enlisted Mommy and his brother," "Weak," "no chance."

At least Jeb had the guts to face the truth and withdraw. John Kasich is a nice guy, and he givesgood hugs, but under what scenario does he actually win? Carson is just as surprised as you and me that he's still on stage, which means he doesn't belong there.

Staying in the race is delusional at this point. It's time they pack their bags and turn their loss into a win on the speaking and publishing circuit.

That leaves Rubio and Cruz. Neither one of them can beat Clinton, or Trump for that matter. Yes, Cruz captured Iowa, but he is too scary for moderate Republicans and independents. And the GOP "establishment" can hope that with Jeb gone, Rubio will scoop up enough non-Trump votes to cruise to a victory, but that's not happening either. After Cruz and Trump grab their share of the undecided, there won't be enough left to give Rubio the bump he needs to pass Trump.

Last summer, I gave you five reasons why so many Americans loved Trump and why he would go the distance. Notice, four of the five points cemented his path to the Republican nomination. At the time, the seasoned political commentators and pundits just rolled their eyes at me. Now they're predicting a win.

1. He's real.

2. He doesn't care what you think.

3. Many Americans hate Washington.

4. It's early (null).

5. You want to see him debate.

(As I mentioned in that piece, in full disclosure, I know Trump. I've delivered keynotes for his company, spoken at the same leadership events, chatted in green rooms and interviewed him on camera.)

Also notice Trump's campaign hasn't changed one bit in eight months, either. If anything, Trump has just doubled down on the tone, the temper and the tactics.

In July 2015, this is how Trump put it to a crowd in Sun City, South Carolina: "We are tired of being pushed around and led around by stupid people ... we need smart leadership, we need great leadership. We need to make America great again." There was no policy then, and there isn't policy now. And it doesn't seem to matter.

Even back then, Trump was telling the media he didn't see Jeb "as a factor," and he was right.

John Kasich rules the GOP town hall

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus reportedly told Trump to tone done his rhetoric last summer. Yet he's only turned the volume up.

In September, the world was up in arms over his loose tongue at the mic and Twitter rants. No one could believe it when he called Lindsey Graham "a total lightweight ... idiot," and barked that Rick Perry wears glasses so "people think he's smart," and Obama's administration officials are "dopes." Carly Fiorina's face bothered him, Megyn Kelly had blood coming out of her "whatever."

That hasn't slowed down either. In fact, who hasn't he offended at this point? Basically, no one. Trump's targets:

• The Pope
  • George W. Bush
  • Women
  • Mexican immigrants
  • Fox News
  • Refugees
  • Muslims
  • The Koch brothers
  • Washington
  • Apple

Luckily, CNN and The New York Times have amassed lists of Trump's insults.

He even said he could shoot one of his supporters and he'd still win. Sadly, he might be right, assuming he wasn't arrested and jailed for it. On Monday, he said he missed the "good old days" because he wanted to punch a protester.

The GOP establishment has been wrong at every turn, and Trump has been right. In business, there's an explanation for this: disruption. That's what Trump has done -- he's disrupted politics as usual and changed the rules entirely. As I argued in January, once disrupters such as Amazon, Uber and Airbnb get out front, they become nearly impossible to beat.

That's why the establishment hates him. Not only has he changed the rules, he has upended the hierarchy. The GOP has been snubbed. It's sort of like that moment a few weeks ago, when Paul McCartney was turned away from a Grammy after party. McCartney used to own the industry, but now he isn't relevant enough for insider access.

That's why, for Thursday's final debate before Super Tuesday, we will all be tuning in -- to see what Trump does. And I can tell you exactly what will happen.

He's been 100% consistent since he jumped into the race last summer. He'll tell us he plans to make America great again. He'll remind us that we've got lousy deals with China and Iran. And he'll go on the attack.

The only thing that's shocking about all this is the fact that while Trump is always on the attack, no one has been able to land a direct hit back.

Donald Trump is blowing up conservatism

And consider this: Trump hasn't even begun insulting Rubio yet. Trust me, it's coming. And so is a negotiation trick he's been using this entire time: lowering the perceived power of his opponent.

Mark my words, just as Trump pushed Jeb out of the race by calling him "weak" and "low-energy," he'll push Rubio out of the way by referring to him as a decent choice for "VP."

So what is the GOP waiting for? In the past six GOP primaries without an incumbent, with the exception of Newt Gingrich in 2012, every South Carolina winner since 1980 went on to become the eventual Republican nominee.

For all Trump haters, that's not good news.

If you are still crossing your fingers hoping for a Rubio surge, I advise you, don't waste your time. The race is over. It's time for the GOP establishment to decide if it wants to continue the identity crisis or elect a president.

The Republican nominee is Donald Trump.

I pretty much agree with this article
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/24/opinions/trump-will-be-republican-nominee-robbins/index.html

Always the optimist, huh? I think we're doomed sooner or later. The center is slowly disappearing, and not just in the US. I'll probably have subscribed to survivalism and will live on a ranch in 15 years.

I see the center taking over this country. Not the left or the right. And this is good for the country. A Trump Presidency should it happen will be smack down the middle.

It will be about benefiting the ordinary guy. He will fine tune his message.

If you are unprepared for any financial commitment towards a child you may beget out of wedlock, it's your responsibility to take the necessary preventative measures. It's not rocket science. Granted, there will be exceptions, but laws aren't made for exceptions.

It's not reasonable either. In a sexual encounter which is contextually likely to be casual or fleeting, it makes sense for a woman, who knows that she is unprotected, to insist that her male partner wear a condom, rather than passing the responsibility to him. Aside from all financial considerations, she is the one who, in the event of pregnancy, will have to carry and bear the child, and devote the next two decades of her life to its care.

The natural responsibility is hers. A responsibility which is exercised across the entire natural world, and causes females to be the cautious, careful, picky sex, and males to cast their sperm around like confetti whenever the opportunity arises. The consequences of that fundamental, biological asymmetry cannot be overturned by law.

What's the point? He won't even get a hearing.

He could get a hearing, or at a minimum put tremendous pressure on the GOP to not look obstructionist and unconstitutional in the lead up to congressional and presidential elections. Pretty much a win win scenario for the Dems in either case.

The Nevada outcome is interesting - unbelievably, Donald Trump could be the next President of the US.

Apart from the Wall thing and the Muslim thing, on which most Americans agree with him anyway, he's really fairly centrist and hasn't advocated any policies which will make him anathema to middle ground voters. The thing about the Nevada result is that his position on immigration doesn't seem to have made him toxic to Hispanics. If he can get a fair whack of that vote, he could win.

Hilary is still favourite of course. But the Democrats might yet wish they had put their money on a less compromised candidate.

I see the center taking over this country. Not the left or the right. And this is good for the country. A Trump Presidency should it happen will be smack down the middle.

Jesus Christ man, you want to trust the nuclear warhead to Trump, a guy who made a career out of drama? He's a bigot, promotes prejudice against Muslims, and frankly has made some embarrassing statements, and riding the coattails of the anger amongst the public. Never mind your 'Hillary is a crony and a stooge' narrative, you've being banging on the drum of 'Trump is a liberal more than Hillary'. If you want to argue, Trump is just as bad as Hillary, declared bankruptcy and brought Atlantic City to it's knees. He's cut and run multiple times when it doesn't suit his agenda. He has played the system as much as anybody.

If you can afford the 'Oh Trump won't be a bad thing, he'll change' excuse, why are you not doing the same for Hillary. Right now you are just a 'if not Sanders, then let's elect the Republican because I don't like Hillary' guy.

The Nevada outcome is interesting - unbelievably, Donald Trump could be the next President of the US.

Apart from the Wall thing and the Muslim thing, on which most Americans agree with him anyway, he's really fairly centrist and hasn't advocated any policies which will make him anathema to middle ground voters. The thing about the Nevada result is that his position on immigration doesn't seem to have made him toxic to Hispanics. If he can get a fair whack of that vote, he could win.

Hilary is still favourite of course. But the Democrats might yet wish they had put their money on a less compromised candidate.

Republican latino voters...that's the key factor.

What we need to see if how how many Latinos voted in the Nevada Caucus. If out of the 75000 votes last night, 1000 were Latino and Trump got 46% of that...it's not indicative of anything.

Not to mention...Cruz is parroting Trump with his rhetoric and Rubio is only slightly behind. If you are a Latino Republican voter - there really isn't much choice out there (Jeb was an option, but that low energy loser dropped out).

Last edited:

:lol:
No way. Unless Trump is the ordinary guy it will benefit.

Republican latino voters...that's the key factor.

What we need to see if how how many Latinos voted in the Nevada Caucus. If out of the 75000 votes last night, 1000 were Latino and Trump for 465 of that...it's not indicative of anything.

Not to mention...Cruz is parroting Trump with his rhetoric and Rubio is only slightly behind. If you are a Latino Republican voter - there really isn't much choice out there (Jeb was an option, but that low energy loser dropped out).

According to the exit poll, 8% R voters were Latinos, and of them, 47% went Trump.
It works out to 1200 people across the state. Now a lot, but alarming enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.