Álvaro Morata | Chelsea player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, we keep getting shafted when we do business with Real, whether it's buying or selling.
I thought Morata was £73m. Fair enough if that's Euros I'll change it to £64.1m. Bargain :rolleyes:

It's a lot of money but this summer onwards it will be the going rate for a decent player. He's gonna cost 40m less than Lukaku and for the £100m quoted for him we will probably get both Morata and Lindelof.

Are the fee's fecking ridiculous? Yep but we either move with the market or search the bargain bins for Benteke like signings.

Zlatan? Schweinsteiger? Falcao?
No signs of Zlatan being on a downward spiral. Schweinstwieger yes. Falcao not so sure, he was coming back after a long time out. But even so to say signing big names on a downward spiral has been the trend recently is not true. It completely ignores the signings of Mata, Fellaini, Depay, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Martial, Bailly, Pogba etc. etc.

They also bought Jesus for £30m and Sane for £40m. Yes, I know that was last year but still.
Paying 73m for Morata really is setting the tone for paying massive fees for decent/good players.

They also bought Stones and Mangala for 94 million pounds.

Gabriel Jesus was unknown at European level whereas Morata has played at two very huge clubs and also played in CL finals.

Yeah from Palmeiras and Shalke respectively. Both selling clubs, neither half as big as Madrid. We're buying from a club that has no requirement to sell and who would like to keep hold of their brightest young assets, therefore a premium has to be paid in order to push through a deal.

Or we can buy someone of equivalent quality from a lesser club, why is that so hard for people to see.

Well let's pray that he will never ever read redcafe.
In all seriousness, I hope no United player ever goes near the Caf. We are an extremely fickle bunch, and that article emphasized the very thing most fans often forget; football is ultimately played in the mind, because the players are human beings, not machines. We can't always know why a player isn't playing well, and we get on their backs way to easily. Frankly, I'd like to see users here defend things they've said about players to their faces.

Or we can buy someone of equivalent quality from a lesser club, why is that so hard for people to see.
Like who?

Bare in mind this player needs to have been tested at the highest level, stylistically the same and preferably would have played under Mourinho.

Why do people keep asking this stupid question?

Benzema. The answer is Benzema. He's a better partner for Ronaldo (which is where most of Madrid's goals, and Madrid's most important goals, come from). I don't understand how so many people find this complicated.

Notice how everyone ignores your post and continues on their rant? It's like nobody wants to hear the right answer.

Genius! You should apply to work for our club. With your keen eye for spotting players as good as Morata but for a fraction of the price we'd be unstoppable.

He will easily clear 15 goals by Christmas.

Yea for all the hype about this being a downgrade; Zlatan got 17 premier league goals, Morata is going to smash that if he is healthy.

For all the moaning in this thread, United fans are going to love him

Personally I wanted him much more than Lukaku. Will be i tetesting to see that play out

Equating Morata to Welbeck

what
Both are/were big and physical back-up strikers at one of the biggest clubs in the world with poor goalscoring records.

Would love to be wrong, but like I said, expect 14 league goals from him next season. I also fully expect the apologists to make a hundred excuses explaining why that was a good haul in his first season and so forth, which will be as ridiculous then as it sounds now.

Like who?

Bare in mind this player needs to have been tested at the highest level, stylistically the same and preferably would have played under Mourinho.

Our scouts cant find someone better than morata, a player who has never had a full season as the leading man and scored more than 15 goals for 60m+? A player who averages 8 goals a season?

That comes straight from the moyes school of thought and morata only made 17 appearances under 3 seasons for mourinho. Wouldnt really call that playing.

Our scouts cant find someone better than morata, a player who has never had a full season as the leading man and scored more than 15 goals for 60m+? A player who averages 8 goals a season?

That comes straight from the moyes school of thought and morata only made 17 appearances under 3 seasons for mourinho. Wouldnt really call that playing.
Clearly not, otherwise why would we be going for Morata?

You think a scout would know a player as well as Mourinho would after spending 3 seasons with them. Care to explain how?

Great list of names by the way. All of them top quality suggestions, well done.

Will be over the moon with this signing if it happens, there's not many "Good" strikers on the market currently but this guy is probably the best of the bunch

Clearly not, otherwise why would we be going for Morata?

You think a scout would know a player as well as Mourinho would after spending 3 seasons with them. Care to explain how?

Great list of names by the way. All of them top quality suggestions, well done.

I am sorry, I didnt think I was being paid to be a scout for a football club. I will immediately get on watching all the big leagues to see players who are better than morata. I can promise you this though, at the end of the next season there will be a striker who would have moved for less than morata and performed better over the course of the season. You can then start a new thread saying we should be signing him for 90m+.

Same reason we signed schweignsteiger, schneiderlin, darmian, fellaini, depay to name a few over the past three years. Our scouting is shit.

Am guessing you were a big fan of moyes signing fellaini as well?

Morata was poor at juve, one half decent season at madrid where he isnt even a starter and he is worth 60m+ now?

Both are/were big and physical back-up strikers at one of the biggest clubs in the world with poor goalscoring records.

Would love to be wrong, but like I said, expect 14 league goals from him next season. I also fully expect the apologists to make a hundred excuses explaining why that was a good haul in his first season and so forth, which will be as ridiculous then as it sounds now.
:rolleyes:

This is possibly one of the laziest comparisons of all time. The two are massively different in terms of skill set, technical ability and goalscoring record. How you can compare the two is beyond me (not to mention the clubs they play for :lol:). Even if you put all those things aside, consider the comparative level the two players have reached. At age 23, Morata had scored in a champions league semi-final and final. At the same stage in his career, Welbeck had been replaced by Olivier Giroud in a team that hasn't got past the champions league last 16 in over 5 years. Welbeck by the way has broken double figures for goals once in 6 years... at the age of 26.

For the love of fecking Cantona, how many times does it need to be said that his goalscoring record is not poor?

His conversion rate last year was brilliant and he was Madrid's second top scorer for the season in spite of his limited minutes.

:rolleyes:

This is possibly one of the laziest comparisons of all time. The two are massively different in terms of skill set, technical ability and goalscoring record. How you can compare the two is beyond me (not to mention the clubs they play for :lol:). Even if you put all those things aside, consider the comparative level the two players have reached. At age 23, Morata had scored in a champions league semi-final and final. At the same stage in his career, Welbeck had been replaced by Olivier Giroud in a team that hasn't got past the champions league last 16 in over 5 years. Welbeck by the way has broken double figures for goals once in 6 years... at the age of 26.
Eh, I was comparing Welbeck at United to Morata currently at Madrid, in case that wasn't clear.

Because Bale has also been fantastic for them and IMO better than Isco. Everyone is jumping on the Isco bandwagon now, and rightly so, but when Bale is fit he is one of the absolute best attackers in the world.

Benzema on the other hand I believe starts because he is a better fit than Morata for their team. I don't think Morata is a worse player, but I think Real Madrid as a whole is better with Benzema.

Nah. Bale has been poor worse than Isco this season even when fit.

They also bought Jesus for £30m and Sane for £40m. Yes, I know that was last year but still.
Paying 73m for Morata really is setting the tone for paying massive fees for decent/good players.

Liverpool was ready to splash £60 million on Virgil Van Dijk. That's how fecked up the market is.

Yes, you could still find bargains as we did with Bailly, Herrera, Ibra on a free, etc... You would also sometimes have to pay over the odds.

Edit: and as someone already mentioned it won't be £73 million

Last edited:
For the love of fecking Cantona, how many times does it need to be said that his goalscoring record is not poor?

His conversion rate last year was brilliant and he was Madrid's second top scorer for the season in spite of his limited minutes.
15 goals in Serie A over two seasons suggests otherwise!

15 goals in Serie A over two seasons suggests otherwise!

Yea so let's completely ignore his latest season and concentrate on when he was 21/22 to form our opinions. Because clearly players never develop and improve with age.

Oh, wait, he already did.

Yea so let's completely ignore his latest season and concentrate on when he was 22/23 to form our opinions. Because clearly players never develop and improve with age.

Or we can be reasonable and expect that one season might be an outlier? He scored what 9 goals last season when he wasnt playing for a team that creates a shit loads of chances and has ronaldo/bale to occupy defenses? Who is to say he will not revert to normal.

I am sorry, I didnt think I was being paid to be a scout for a football club. I will immediately get on watching all the big leagues to see players who are better than morata. I can promise you this though, at the end of the next season there will be a striker who would have moved for less than morata and performed better over the course of the season. You can then start a new thread saying we should be signing him for 90m+.

Same reason we signed schweignsteiger, schneiderlin, darmian, fellaini, depay to name a few over the past three years. Our scouting is shit.

Am guessing you were a big fan of moyes signing fellaini as well?

Morata was poor at juve, one half decent season at madrid where he isnt even a starter and he is worth 60m+ now?
No you're not. The ones who are being paid haven't come up with an alternative otherwise we wouldn't be signing Morata, savvy?

Make your mind up, the previous post you told me our scouts could find a better alternative, and now you're telling me they can't because they are shit. You're contradicting your own point. You still haven't explained how these useless scouts are supposed to have a more comprehensive report on players than Mourinho does for one he coached for three bleeding years.

Still, you can promise me there are better options out there despite not being able to name one, a single solitary alternative. feck you're persuasive!

Yea so let's completely ignore his latest season and concentrate on when he was 22/23 to form our opinions. Because clearly players never develop and improve with age.

Yeah, he had a decent season coming off the bench in an all-conquering Madrid side, I'll happily concede that. But, unfortunately, I don't think that will translate to coming in and elevating a struggling side to the next level. I've just seen very little from him that suggests he's at that level, and instead I think he'll revert to his mean.

As I said though, I'll be thrilled if I'm proved wrong about this one!

Also probably been posted before but i'm leaving it here again

Such a powerful player, tall, fast, definitley has the attributes to be a PL player

Yea so let's completely ignore his latest season and concentrate on when he was 21/22 to form our opinions. Because clearly players never develop and improve with age.

Also shouldn't forget he wasn't a starter at Juventus and mostly came off the bench.

Or we can be reasonable and expect that one season might be an outlier? He scored what 9 goals last season when he wasnt playing for a team that creates a shit loads of chances and has ronaldo/bale to occupy defenses? Who is to say he will not revert to normal.

Oh what planet is it "reasonable" to expect a player to undo his development and improvement rather than continue to improve as he reaches the grand old age of 24?

Richard keys says it's done (got the Pogba deal before anybody else)

70m Euros.

Go figure. I wasn't even the only one; half a dozen people replied to that post with pretty much the same thing I said.
Don't even know what people are debating here to be honest. If you went through one page of posts, you'd think we were talking about three different players :lol:

Oh what planet is it "reasonable" to expect a player to undo his development and improvement rather than continue to improve as he reaches the grand old age of 24?

Planet earth where players have freak seasons all the time, specially when they move to a new side. For a team that has seen martial and shaw stagnate this year and nani,anderson before that I find it surprising that you believe that development and improvement is linear.

Status
Not open for further replies.