Zlatan Rejoins United

How do you feel about Zlatan signing for another year?

• Total voters
Mkhitaryan is better as a 10 than Zlatan so no thanks

Mkh flopped vs real Madrid , he is good but he has his weaknesses too and for big games I am sure someone who can also hold the ball and link up play would be more useful than just mkh who is a counter attacker by his natural game.

This thread is priceless , we re-sign an excellent still hunger for success player, who without last season we would not of won anything and this season we would not be in the CL.
OK so he is 36, so what !, he is fitter and better than any other player of his age, I for one think he is a welcome addition to the squad.
Some of you really need to get a grip, O hope all the doubters are still around later in the season to port your apologies.

Right :wenger:

Am I mistaken or did United not win the EL final and the semi final without Zlatan in the team ?

Oh how impossible it would have been to get past the likes of Anderlecht and Saint Ettiene without him...

Because the rest of the team was always passing the ball to him, probably instructed. In the sense off if you keep swinging the bat, you are bound to hit one eventually.

Ofcourse this went hand in hand with the rest of our players massively underperforming offensively.

You're not making any sense. He played in a team full of players who were massively underperforming offensively, missed a whole bunch of easy chances and still scored 17 league goals. Again, I'm not seeing anything here that makes him seem like a relic.

This is great news! Will be brilliant having him contributing to the second half of the season!

Mkh flopped vs real Madrid , he is good but he has his weaknesses too and for big games I am sure someone who can also hold the ball and link up play would be more useful than just mkh who is a counter attacker by his natural game.

Yea Zlatan would have flopped there aswell. He is no 10, he will not make Lukaku play any beter, he will not create anything nor will he make our attack more fluid.

You're not making any sense. He played in a team full of players who were massively underperforming offensively, missed a whole bunch of easy chances and still scored 17 league goals. Again, I'm not seeing anything here that makes him seem like a relic.

His way of playing and the way the others had to adept to it impacted their performance.

Am I mistaken or did United not win the EL final and the semi final without Zlatan in the team ?

Oh how impossible it would have been to get past the likes of Anderlecht and Saint Ettiene without him...

We also won a CL without Keane and Scholes. Doesn't mean they weren't needed before the final though.

Mate, give it a rest.

Every action has a reaction. To suggest that Zlatan didn't have a huge part to play in our success last season is daft, at best.

don't know how to feel about this, he's a legend and was our top scorer last season but if we continue playing the way we have in the past 2 games then I wouldn't want to see the formula changed

I think you need to go thought the goals he scored last season and how many points he won us and then see where we would have been without his goals.

Fantastic news on so many levels. We now have two big strong centre forwards with different skill sets, so we can play either one depending on the opponent or even play them together. Our fear factor just went up another level. with Martial, Pogba and Mkhi showing improvement over last year especially in terms of short passes Zlatan will be even more dangerous. Imagine we are chasing a game and have Matic, Pogba, Lukaku and Zlatan on the field for long balls and corners. You can even throw Fellaini into that mix.
Zlatan has a massive ego, although a lot of that is really humour, but he knows that Lukaku is now the main striker so I don't expect that there will be any problems there.
I know we don't usually care about club finances but I am sure the owners are happy to have him back, jersey sales alone will go through the roof.
I knew we were back but re-signing Zlatan is icing on the cake.
I have a NO9 Martial jersey, a No9 Zlatan jersey and will order a No9 Lukaku jersey but I am definitely getting a new Zlatan jersey, regardless of his number.

Meh, see what Jose does with him to see how beneficial it is to the team. Looking at it now I view it like a last ditch option of sticking him on like he does with Fellaini. Because really I think he negatively impacted the team last season and will probably do the same this season if he is on the pitch. I hope he doesn't but we'll see what Jose does.

If he's ok being a squad player / Lukaku back up, I'm all for it. Love Ibra and he could add a lot in the locker room leadership wise.

He scored 17 in the PL, played nearly every minute, I'am not impressed.

The rest he mainly scored in EL and League cup where the quality of opposition really isn't all that.

He was also the slowest striker in the league and he was the player who missed the most big chances in the league by quite some margin (almost double the amount of nr2).

You can brag about his numbers all you want, he never impressed me on the pitch. He was a great player but now he is past it, no big club would even contemplate having him in their starting XI anymore as he is simply too slow and lost an edge in terms of effectiveness in front of goal. For a back-up his salary is far too expensive.

I was happy we moved on. Today's news is a big disappointment for me.

Although I don't entirely agree with all of your points, I think this is also a fair assessment / point of view to have.

Won't be a popular opinion, but I think we should've signed a back-up for Rom - someone who actually runs in behind as Rom does.

Someone on back-up striker wages as well.

Or just play Martial up top when Rom needs a rest.

I guess what I'm saying is that after watching this new United starting to gel, I would let Zlatan move on. And I say that with the utmost respect for the guy.

Having different types of attackers is actually better for a team especially one managed by a tactically inclined Jose Mourinho because such a team gives you many tactical options. You can easily vary your tactics depending on who you are playing.

I really cannot see how Zlatan will be a disadvantage here. He is not your usual 35 year old. He is clearly a strong chap, he is very hungry, he has a massive super star personality, he is very experienced, he has a winning mentality and he proved his elite status just last season by scoring 28 goals for United.

If ( a big IF because no one really knows) he has agreed to play as back up and his wages have been reviewed, then we may have just signed ourselves the premier league title this season.

If he comes out very good and improving until the end of the season , We will have a big problem on our hands at the end of the season weather to keep him or let him go because of the griezman situation.

Yeah it was all Zlatan's fault, nothing to do with other players and the team having to adapt to yet another manager :rolleyes:

If he's ok being a squad player / Lukaku back up, I'm all for it. Love Ibra and he could add a lot in the locker room leadership wise.

Yeah I'll go with this. And I think he knows exactly the situation, considering he of course will have other offers. Yet he's happy here and hopefully his mentality can continue to rub off.

Our squad is frightening at the moment, and I'm the most realistic fan you'll find. A fully fit ibra just enhances that.
It really is.
How long time has it been since opponents really looked at our offensive line at thought "Damn..."?

Happy to have him back. He was a brilliant player for us last year but he was also a great personality around the team. We now have much better depth in the striking positions with him on board.

This is the crucial factor a lot of people miss. You cannot put a money value on this. When you have a player that inspires confidence, motivates, lifts team spirit and generally boosts your winning mentality, such a player is priceless.

Quality. An excellent backup in case of injury or to give Lukaku rest, another option to bring on when chasing a goal, and of course he's invaluable in the dressing room and in training. United have dared to Zlatan once again.

Last season Zlatan scored the winning goal for the CS.
2 goals in the EFL Cup Final winning us that.
His goals won us 13 points last season in the matches he scored in.
OH yes and 3 goals against St Ettiene.
So I stand by my statement.

Last edited:
don't know how to feel about this, he's a legend and was our top scorer last season but if we continue playing the way we have in the past 2 games then I wouldn't want to see the formula changed

We're not going to perform as we have in the past two fixtures indefinitely. We will concede goals, drop points etc, so I wouldn't worry about this idea that using Zlatan would impede anything.

I'm not sure about the return of Zlatan,He was good last season for rebuilding the Team but it was time to move on.
I hope this does not mean the return to long boring hoofball
Jose should have kept faith with Rashford and Martial as Lukaku backup
I don't really see the point of this signing,this is another quick fix situation from Jose.
I hope we win the league and Zlatan does well but I would rather Martial or Rashford getting this chance.
I also don't understand why we are signing him now when he can't play till XMas.

Please change the thread title for god's sake. Zlatan didnt rejoin United. United rejoined Zlatan. :cool:

Zlatan as a back up. United for the league this season for sure and a run into the finals of CL.

:cool:

Jose always wins the title within his first 2 years at the club he is managing.
Ibra always wins the title, at least once, for the club he is playing for.
As LVG would say, "THIS YEAR WE SHALL GO FOR THE TITLE!!!"

Definitely a good option to have especially if we are fighting on all fronts. Let's see how the season progresses before over analyzing where he'd fit in. Jose wouldn't mess with a winning formula and I'd think Zlatan knows this. We have signed his presence and leadership and an excellent option.

I'm happy for him but not entirely overjoyed if I'm honest, he's a great character and player to have around the team but I don't see how he fits into this current team now we've got lukaku. Yeah we rotate but I can't see Zlatan being happy turning out on a Tuesday night at Shrewsbury or something.

This can only go 2 ways it'll either be a huge success and he will score a shed load or it'll ruin our team cohesion and performances similar to Rooney (although not as bad) there's no middle ground.

At half his ridiculous salary he is still one of the highest paid players in the league.

Also I find it complete bullshit we are paying him for a full year if he can only play for half a year. He should have only got a new contract when he was fully fit and ready to pass all medical tests.

Also his salary should have been reduced anyway as we already invested in a new first choice striker, I don't think we should be paying the highest salary in the league for a back-up.

And how I the world do you know he has not passed the required medical tests?

How do you know the terms of his new contract in terms of salary and compensation? Have you seen the contract?

At times we need to give those who run the club ad the manager, some credit. They are not as dumb as we think.

Why do you think they announced his departure from the club at the end of last season? Was it not to watch how well and how quickly he would recuperate? Having done that, would they be re-signing him if they have not assessed him medically?

Just saying that we should not jump to conclusions until we have the facts and frankly, I am not sure anyone here has them.