Zlatan Rejoins United

How do you feel about Zlatan signing for another year?

• Total voters
It's tough on Lukaku that despite his good start he's going to have to sit on the bench when Jose's beloved Zlatan comes back.
Zlatan told Lukaku to take the No 9 shirt he knows that Lukaku is our starting striker. We may play 352 though or 4231 with Zlatan in behind after all he likes to drop deep.

Rather see him come on for hoofball during the dying moments of a game than then Fellaini (I like Fellaini as a midfielder, not a ten). Will also be good for buses when the oppo is sitting too deep for pace to do anything - he's great at flicks and tricks along with just out-jumping/muscling defenders.

I don't think any of our rivals is particulary bothered with us signing him, in fact I think many are quite happy we brought him back as the chance of disrupting the team is alot bigger with him in it.

If you still think any opponent dreads seeing this Zlatan, you are sorely mistaken. The guy is a relic.

A relic who scored 28 goals in his debut season in English football at the age of 35.

I don't think any of our rivals is particulary bothered with us signing him, in fact I think many are quite happy we brought him back as the chance of disrupting the team is alot bigger with him in it.

If you still think any opponent dreads seeing this Zlatan, you are sorely mistaken. The guy is a relic.

He is only going to improve our ruthlessness in front of the goal. We can play both lukaku and zlatan as 9 and 10 with his hold up and link up play being top class.

He won't disrupt the team but win us titles adding experience and quality in attack.

He sign a 12month contract but halved his salary if I'm not wrong.He won't play until January as Lukaku back up.

At half his ridiculous salary he is still one of the highest paid players in the league.

Also I find it complete bullshit we are paying him for a full year if he can only play for half a year. He should have only got a new contract when he was fully fit and ready to pass all medical tests.

Also his salary should have been reduced anyway as we already invested in a new first choice striker, I don't think we should be paying the highest salary in the league for a back-up.

It's comfortable now but when we're fully in to the season and playing 2-3 games a week and players get injured we'll need as much squad depth as possible. How short memories do some folk have, the fixture schedule towards the end of last season almost ruined us.

Really Fecking Tall FC just got their most important player back.

I'm loving this. Just the thought of Zlatan playing for us last season still makes me smile, so I'm elated that we'll see him wearing the shirt for another couple of months.

Be funny if he's too good to bench. We'd have two beast up front. The return of 442, maybe diamond :drool:

A few thoughts...

1. He is an incredibly fit athlete
2. He will be itching to play
3. We still have a relatively young forward line so his experience will prove invaluable
4. The coaching and fitness staff know more than anyone on here whether he is capable of playing in x number of matches
5. Mourinho will know how best to fit him into team
6. We can afford it

Don't see any downside at all...

Interesting. You seem determined to continue last season's trend of posting absolute bollox. Let's hope Zlatan also continue last season's trend of being one of the most prolific strikers in Europe.

A relic who scored 28 goals in his debut season in English football at the age of 35.

He scored 17 in the PL, played nearly every minute, I'am not impressed.

The rest he mainly scored in EL and League cup where the quality of opposition really isn't all that.

He was also the slowest striker in the league and he was the player who missed the most big chances in the league by quite some margin (almost double the amount of nr2).

You can brag about his numbers all you want, he never impressed me on the pitch. He was a great player but now he is past it, no big club would even contemplate having him in their starting XI anymore as he is simply too slow and lost an edge in terms of effectiveness in front of goal. For a back-up his salary is far too expensive.

I was happy we moved on. Today's news is a big disappointment for me.

A few thoughts...

1. He is an incredibly fit athlete
2. He will be itching to play
3. We still have a relatively young forward line so his experience will prove invaluable
4. The coaching and fitness staff know more than anyone on here whether he is capable of playing in x number of matches
5. Mourinho will know how best to fit him into team
6. We can afford it

Don't see any downside at all...

Just to add to 5, Jose has a brilliant relationship with him going back many years.

At half his ridiculous salary he is still one of the highest paid players in the league.

Also I find it complete bullshit we are paying him for a full year if he can only play for half a year. He should have only got a new contract when he was fully fit and ready to pass all medical tests.

Also his salary should have been reduced anyway as we already invested in a new first choice striker, I don't think we should be paying the highest salary in the league for a back-up.

What business is it of yours how much the club decide to pay him ?

He is only going to improve our ruthlessness in front of the goal. We can play both lukaku and zlatan as 9 and 10 with his hold up and link up play being top class.

He won't disrupt the team but win us titles adding experience and quality in attack.

Mkhitaryan is better as a 10 than Zlatan so no thanks

The rest he mainly scored in EL and League cup where the quality of opposition really isn't all that.

He was also the slowest striker in the league and he was the player who missed the most big chances in the league by quite some margin (almost double the amount of nr2).

You can brag about his numbers all you want, he never impressed me on the pitch. He was a great player but now he is past it, no big club would even contemplate having him in their starting XI anymore as he is simply too slow and lost an edge in terms of effectiveness in front of goal. For a back-up his salary is far too expensive.

Scored 17 goals in the league despite missing the most big chances of anyone in the league.

Please explain how an aging relic who can barely run faster than jogging pace kept on getting on the end of so many great chances in one of the most hectic, fast-paced leagues around?

He almost certainly is.
All in Zlatan should not be back before February. But allowing for world class care etc maybe he could be back December, but every month earlier is a higher risk of re-rupture.

Personally I find the whole thing bizarre. I hope we have sensible contract provisions or otherwise are confident on the marketing/ coaching/ team spirit value.

That could have been one of the driving force behind it i.e. his marketability(now that Rooney is not here) & his squad presence for team spirit & winning mentality. We can only speculate about what his contract says at this point of time as he is unlikely to make any appearance in the immediate future. It must have been taken into consideration before resigning him.

Interesting insight into the injury "prehab" process though. Didn't know much about a prehab process. I always thought injured players should be put into rehab as soon as possible after treatment.

Given that he is already doing spinning back kicks & roundhouse kicks shows he has exceeded everyone's predictions about recovering from an ACL injury, which is kind of worrying. Just see Rojo who had the same injury as him, almost at the same time & he is not even that close to a comeback yet.

If he is aiming for a good long career even after United, I hope he will not rush it. I hope he doesn't.

Even if he gets back there is no guarantee of him being at the same level.
That would have been an even bigger concern if he was a player who relied on his pace. But he doesn't, so I am positive he still has a few good performances under him left & a few important goals too. #Believe

Reactions: Akshay
This is good news if he's back in a support role. But if Mourinho just shoehorns him back into the side once he's fit we are in trouble, especially if he starts fecking about with formations simply to accommodate Ibra and Lukaku in the side.

I wouldn't mind seeing Zlatan playing as a no10 in a 4231 some games though.

You see the world in black and white??

The way you are talking about wages, one would believe that footballers are really paid only as per what they deserve.

Scored 17 goals in the league despite missing the most big chances of anyone in the league.

Please explain how an aging relic who can barely run faster than jogging pace kept on getting on the end of so many great chances in one of the most hectic, fast-paced leagues around?

Because the rest of the team was always passing the ball to him, probably instructed. In the sense off if you keep swinging the bat, you are bound to hit one eventually.

Ofcourse this went hand in hand with the rest of our players massively underperforming offensively.

Imagine playing for the other team when Rashford has run the defence ragged for 75 mins, only to be replaced by Martial

Then you've got Lukaku, Fellaini, Matic, Pogba, Bailly/Jones and now Ibra to mark in the box on corners/set-pieces.
With Mhiki/Mata/Blind on the outside of the box ready to cross back in anything the defence manages to clear out.

Mourinho is going for the kill.

This is good news if he's back in a support role. But if Mourinho just shoehorns him back into the side once he's fit we are in trouble, especially if he starts fecking about with formations simply to accommodate Ibra and Lukaku in the side.

I wouldn't mind seeing Zlatan playing as a no10 in a 4231 some games though.

I wouldn't worry about the shoe horning bit. He likely won't be available until December or so, at which point he will be gradually brought back as a sub, so he can get back to full confidence. He will be a fantastic player to have as the league, CL, and FA Cup fixtures wear on. The more quality players the better.

I wouldn't worry about the shoe horning bit. He likely won't be available until December or so, at which point he will be gradually brought back as a sub, so he can get back to full confidence. He will be a fantastic player to have as the league, CL, and FA Cup fixtures wear on. The more quality players the better.

You will be shocked to see Alien Zlatan on the bench on Saturday. :D

I am sure he would still have been judged if he didn't score those 17. Would have still been labelled as past it or has been etc.
So a case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't." I am glad he scored.

If we use him correctly then it should be a good move. Just please don't play him all the time like last season when there are so many games where faster attackers would be of more use.

:lol:
What should be the average age of our signings for you to consider it a successful window?

All our signings bar Lindelöf have hit the ground running. Get a grip.

Well I was happy we got rid of Rooney and Zlatan and introduced some pace in our team.

Obviously I would have liked us to have gone a bit further with it next to signing Lukaku, I also wanted a new winger and fullback. We end up not signing that winger nor fullback and backpeddle on resigning Zlata, I find that unfortunate.

Can't wait to see the pace and power of Zlatan combine with the intelligence and elegance of Lukaku:drool:

Am I doing this right?

This thread is priceless , we re-sign an excellent still hunger for success player, who without last season we would not of won anything and this season we would not be in the CL.
OK so he is 36, so what !, he is fitter and better than any other player of his age, I for one think he is a welcome addition to the squad.
Some of you really need to get a grip, I hope all the doubters are still around later in the season to post your apologies.

Seeing people upset that we've re-signed the striker who scored 28 goals last season is lol worthy.
Isn't it just? Apparently signing our recent top scorer to play back up to our in form new striker is a bad thing. Mental.