Yet another mass shooting and at a church, again

IMG_2095.jpg

:nono: Very distasteful. Arrogant atheist evangelists on RedCafe need to give it a rest. Especially in the aftermath of a major tragedy where many churchgoers were murdered.

No. Just no. Everytime this happens they say: "Too early to talk about gun control, lets all pray for the victims and their families".
You know what? I, and many other's, aren't going to continue to show respect in the face of this momentous stupidity. Pray all you like, everyday, all day. It makes no difference about gun control though, and any religious zealot that brings up prayers in talks about gun control should be completely ignored.

No. Just no. Everytime this happens they say: "Too early to talk about gun control, lets all pray for the victims and their families".
You know what? I, and many other's, aren't going to continue to show respect in the face of this momentous stupidity. Pray all you like, everyday, all day. It makes no difference about gun control though, and any religious zealot that brings up prayers in talks about gun control should be completely ignored.

Oh thank God it's not terrorism. The guy was white. Phew.

What i can't fathom is why all these insane killing sprees are happening in the US. Yes, gun control is a huge problem and having assault rifles for purchase over counter is just insane, but there is still a person pulling the trigger.

People in other countries kill all the time, but it's usually 1-2 people and it usually has some sort of graspable motive like jealousy or monetary gain, deciding just slaughter a church full of people is a completely different.

Oh thank God it's not terrorism. The guy was white. Phew.

Was this terrorism? For me terrorism needs a political agenda. One guy with an as yet unknown motive can't be labelled terrorism imo (even if it is intrinsically terrifying). I'd say the same if the shooter wasn't white.

Prayers are a foundation stone to faith but are never disconnected from practical action.

What i can't fathom is why all these insane killing sprees are happening in the US. Yes, gun control is a huge problem and having assault rifles for purchase over counter is just insane, but there is still a person pulling the trigger.

People in other countries kill all the time, but it's usually 1-2 people and it usually has some sort of graspable motive like jealousy or monetary gain, deciding just slaughter a church full of people is a completely different.

Gun culture has a compounding effect so when someone loses the plot it isn't that big a jump to a gun massacre in comparison to most of the rest of the world. Plus you can buy an amazing array of guns at K-Mart and the like.

Wouldn't it be showing respect to the victims of this shooting to talk about the reason it happened and do something about it?

Wouldn't it be showing respect to the victims of this shooting to talk about the reason it happened and do something about it?
Apparently in this case it's much more productive instead to shitpost on the Internet that those killed were idiots were for believing in God.

Dawkins 3:16 yo.

You don’t know the first thing about God. YOU are missing the point.

25+ Christians have been killed in a church and people here are criticising prayer. It’s seriously disrespectful. Hold the fecking atheistic sentiments for a minute.

No need to conflate people praying with the gun control issue. Shame on yourselves. Seriously, check yourself.

There are plenty of people who both pray and take action for justice. There are also many people who pray who want tighter gun control.
It's not disrespecting prayer, brother. It's the general resentment of public figures who consistently make these theological platitudes without changing any laws they have been given the authority to change.

Prayers are a foundation stone to faith but are never disconnected from practical action.

Yep. I'm amazed that in the US someone hasn't blamed Hilary for not praying hard enough or some such silliness. These politicians praying for no more gun massacres are presumably mainly fairly hardcore Christians who again probably think they are doing God's work. In which case I'm also fairly sure God wants them to ban guns to stop his flock from being massacred. Seems like there is an obvious course of action.

It's not disrespecting prayer, brother. It's the general resentment of public figures who consistently make these theological platitudes without changing any laws they have been given the authority to change.

Yes x1000

I just don't get the logic why authorities in the US are unwilling to change their man-made constitution. This despite thousands killed every year. It can't be because they don't care about their people being killed. Recent history suggests The US would generally annihilate a country if their people were attacked and killed.

I hate Brutish politicians as much as anyone but I'm grateful they haven't descended to these depths.

I know I’m going to sound like a loon, but I think there’s a conspiracy theory behind all of these.

Not sure who’s behind it, possibly the government. But the motive is to make the general public scared.

Just shows you how far down this road America has gone.
Unlike Australia, there's no coming back for these lot.
Has there ever been an instance where a good guy carrying a gun has stopped mass shootings?

Like Wibble said, it is the gun culture. Countries all over the world have some seriously deranged people, but the most they have access to is a knife so there's a small number of deaths (if any at all).

Motive isn't yet clear, but from this he does have some religious background before becoming atheist and has some connections to that church.

Most crazy spree killers commit suicide once they’ve killed a bunch of people, this makes a mass killing with a gun much more appealing than using a bomb or truck. Other methods take more planning, there’s greater chance of being stopped/failing and like I said they can’t commit suicide. I have no doubt that there’s crazy people in the UK who would do this sort of thing if they had a gun but building a bomb or using a truck is just a step too far.

I hate Brutish politicians as much as anyone but I'm grateful they haven't descended to these depths.

"Guns don't kill people, people do"

The thing is, you fat jaffa feck, people are not nearly as dangerous when you take their guns away!

Exactly what we knew he and his ilk would say.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid fecking cnut.

Most crazy spree killers commit suicide once they’ve killed a bunch of people, this makes a mass killing with a gun much more appealing than using a bomb or truck. Other methods take more planning, there’s greater chance of being stopped/failing and like I said they can’t commit suicide. I have no doubt that there’s crazy people in the UK who would do this sort of thing if they had a gun but building a bomb or using a truck is just a step too far.
Yes, and if you've been brought up with guns in the house, guns in the local shops, your office-worker dad carrying a gun etc, it's just a commonplace object to you. If you put a gun in the hands of most British folk, they'd feel some kind of averse reaction, I suspect. Whereas in Texas, you have little old ladies carrying pearl-handled revolvers in their handbags.

Yes, and if you've been brought up with guns in the house, guns in the local shops, your office-worker dad carrying a gun etc, it's just a commonplace object to you. If you put a gun in the hands of most British folk, they'd feel some kind of averse reaction, I suspect. Whereas in Texas, you have little old ladies carrying pearl-handled revolvers in their handbags.

I went to a shooting range in the US last year as I wanted to experience first hand exactly what it was like. I'm not gonna lie it was pretty bloody scary being handed a lethal weapon and a box of ammunition. The woman running the range showed us how to load it and fire a single round and then just left us alone in there with two handguns and about 200 rounds.

The next day we were in an Uber and chatting with the driver about our trip and he asked what we'd been upto; I mentioned the above and how it felt somewhat scary to just be handed a gun like that, something I termed as a "healthy respect" for what I was handling.

Honest to god the guy couldn't understand what I was talking about. He thought it was really weird that we'd be intimidated by a gun, and told us how his 8 year old daughter got an AR-15 rifle for her birthday that year.

Killer was probably a product of The Manchurian Candidate

Pretty damn close, no?

Or are you going to educate me on the yuuuuge difference between being called deluded and being called an idiot?

I assumed the post you quoted was referring to the reaction of sending prayers to be stupid, whereas you seem to think it's a reference to the victims not deserving respect due to them being in a church.

I seriously doubt, and seriously hope, that you're wrong on this one.

I went to a shooting range in the US last year as I wanted to experience first hand exactly what it was like. I'm not gonna lie it was pretty bloody scary being handed a lethal weapon and a box of ammunition. The woman running the range showed us how to load it and fire a single round and then just left us alone in there with two handguns and about 200 rounds.

The next day we were in an Uber and chatting with the driver about our trip and he asked what we'd been upto; I mentioned the above and how it felt somewhat scary to just be handed a gun like that, something I termed as a "healthy respect" for what I was handling.

Honest to god the guy couldn't understand what I was talking about. He thought it was really weird that we'd be intimidated by a gun, and told us how his 8 year old daughter got an AR-15 rifle for her birthday that year.
Exactly. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say. We should be fearful of guns, their sole purpose is to kill. Yes, other things can be used as lethal weapons, but that's not their primary function.

Exactly. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say. We should be fearful of guns, their sole purpose is to kill. Yes, other things can be used as lethal weapons, but that's not their primary function.

Didn't you hear? That isn't the reason at all, it's to protect against government tyranny!

You know, them with the tanks and nuclear weapons. That's why I need my hand pistol.

This is what I always go back to. It's true that gun laws are mental in the US but there is something to be said about this 'culture of violence' or Wild, wild, west mentality you don't see in other countries that can often have even more guns per capita than the US. So, gun laws need to change but it's not just that that needs changing/evolving