Would you prefer Liverpool to be relegated (failure) over United winning the league (success)

As a United fan what would you rather see?

• United 1st and Liverpool 2nd

Votes: 503 85.3%
  • United 2nd and Liverpool relegated

Votes: 88 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't believe that yesterdays discussion actually turned into a thread. And i find it even harder to believe that 14% would rather see Liverpool go down than us winning again. I mean, come on!

It's all about winning. Seeing us winning and Liverpool finish 2nd would be very very sweet.

Option 2.

I'll happily admit I've been spoilt rotten by the Fergie years and watching us win title after title. Liverpool going down would be fecking amazing, ending up with them spiraling down the leagues into eventual obscurity and dissolution of the most cnutish and vile club in the world.

This is of course entirely hypothetical. If it ever comes to such a situation where we're a couple of games from the title I reserve the right to change my mind. As it is, the thought of Liverpool going down brings a smile on my face:drool: Loathsome club.

I'm old enough to have seen Liverpool win many titles. I've also witnessed United getting relegated too in 1974. & as funny as it was, believe me, nothing compares to seeing your own side being successful. Anyone who feels otherwise obviously needs some sort of treatment.

Liverpool going down would be fecking amazing, ending up with them spiraling down the leagues into eventual obscurity and dissolution of the most cnutish and vile club in the world.
This guy gets it.

Kick racism out of football! Join the fight!

Not much of choice, United winning the title obviously. If they did, and Liverpool got relegated, that would be an added bonus

Bizarre thread. If someone has to think about the choice it's even more bizarre. But it's basically @the unknown one against all thread. :D

Liverpool going down would be fecking amazing, ending up with them spiraling down the leagues into eventual obscurity and dissolution of the most cnutish and vile club in the world.

They'll smash the championship and bounce straight back up like we did. I think most Liverpool fans today would cherish the memories of them winning trophies more than that one time United got relegated.

I support United first and foremost - hence the joy of United winning > the joy of Liverpool losing, as much as I don't wish them an ounce of success. In an ideal world I'd obviously want them losing every match from now until infinity, whilst we compete for and win titles. But we can't be greedy now, can we.

Can't see it any other way, personally.

They'll smash the championship and bounce straight back up like we did. I think most Liverpool fans today would cherish the memories of them winning trophies more than that one time United got relegated.

Let me dream please.

And they've had a choice. We haven't yet.

Crikey, there's a load of this weirdness on this page.

Ironically, the people posting they prefer option two will be bringing any Scousers reading this thread massive joy as they look at some of the most embarrassing aspects of our fans.

Let me dream please.

Fine. Liverpool get relegated and we go on an amazing end of season run from 10th in the table to knick 2nd place from City on goal difference, with a Ryan Giggs lead Swansea winning the league.

I know I should prefer option 1 but the sheer amount of laughter option 2 would cause could be a deal breaker. And you'd get the even funnier following season of Liverpool at Rotherham etc.

This is how I see it.

Option 1 makes the most sense but....

Fine. Liverpool get relegated and we go on an amazing end of season run from 10th in the table to knick 2nd place from City on goal difference, with a Ryan Giggs lead Swansea winning the league.

That would be quite hilarious as well. The Ryan Giggs haters club would explode on here.

Who took over Mou? Surely he's out when we hit 10th place...

Have to vote for 1st but what a delicious thought: the slum dwellers relegated. I recall their behaviour when we were relegated so for some of us 70s 'brats' it still represents a wonderful scenario.

Don't get me wrong - It would be lovely to see you feck off to the Championship as well.

I'd take a title any day though.

I can imagine a lot of United fans would prefer to see Liverpool relegated. The rivalry really does run that deep, and that's what makes it so fascinating.

For me personally it would be fabulous to see Liverpool go down, yet I think the joy would be short lived as the Premier League wouldn't be the same. Loathe them we might, yet I think many of us would also admit to them being arguably our fiercest rival. I get most nervous at our games against Liverpool - we could be scrapping for sixth place in the table, but it doesn't matter, that game always seems to matter more than the others. And if you're romantic about football history, Liverpool and United are, in my opinion, the two stand-out clubs in world sport.

Given our own troubles right now, I'd take the title.

I loathe Liverpool as much as I love United mate.

Would give me more pleasure to see them relegated than us win the league to be honest.

This suggests that you loathe Liverpool MORE than you love United. Thats is not a healthy approach to life, and is in my opinion embarrassing for any adult. Football is to be enjoyed, and your team winning should be the biggest enjoyment there is.

Rather Liverpool go down and crash and burn like Leeds.

This suggests that you loathe Liverpool MORE than you love United. Thats is not a healthy approach to life, and is in my opinion embarrassing for any adult. Football is to be enjoyed, and your team winning should be the biggest enjoyment there is.
Let's get something straight here. It's not the rivalry as much as constant disgusting actions that come out of that cesspool. They've done nothing but disgrace the league and the sport with things like the manager going off about how the fixtures are rigged, another manager and club legend wearing a fecking t shirt to openly and officially support a racist and fans organising events called 'Spirit of Shankly' to sing chants about Munich in collection. We've had fierce matches and periods with Arsenal during the Fergie-Wenger years but despite whatever happened on the pitch I've never had an ill feeling towards them or their fans and would never want them gone. Liverpool is simply a hateful elitist collection of figerpointing morons who have never shown an iota of respect to anyone else or their achievements. Absolute vile creatures and I honestly hope for a day when I see Anfield's controlled demolition as the name of the club permanently disappears from existence.

We deserve better rivals than this.

Football is about winning. Not concerning yourself with the demise of another club - even though it would be sweet :)

Let's get something straight here. It's not the rivalry as much as constant disgusting actions that come out of that cesspool. They've done nothing but disgrace the league and the sport with things like the manager going off about how the fixtures are rigged, another manager and club legend wearing a fecking t shirt to openly and officially support a racist and fans organising events called 'Spirit of Shankly' to sing chants about Munich in collection. We've had fierce matches and periods with Arsenal during the Fergie-Wenger years but despite whatever happened on the pitch I've never had an ill feeling towards them or their fans and would never want them gone. Liverpool is simply a hateful elitist collection of figerpointing morons who have never shown an iota of respect to anyone else or their achievements. Absolute vile creatures and I honestly hope for a day when I see Anfield's controlled demolition as the name of the club permanently disappears from existence.

That's the best post I've ever read mate. There's never been a bigger collection of cnuts anywhere on the planet.

And there are people saying they'd miss Liverpool if they go down:wenger: The mind boggles!

How did this thread get 8 pages. Obviously its winning the league /thread.

If you want to see real hatreds in the United-Scouse rivalry, I suggest you visit their main forum site. Most of them only live to hate us - its what decades of failure to us leads to. If forums existed in the 70s and 80s the intensity of hatreds would have been reversed.
Hatred is understandable and even expected given football is such a passionate subject. But I'd have to question myself and my love for the game if Liverpool losing was what I loved the most. And it's to be noted that there's a difference between Liverpool fans giving us not winning the title greater importance when they're well off the pace anyway, and our fans choosing Liverpool's failure over us actually becoming champions of England.

The below makes sense to me. And I bet he would prefer Liverpool ending their title wait over another United relegation.
I'm old enough to have seen Liverpool win many titles. I've also witnessed United getting relegated too in 1974. & as funny as it was, believe me, nothing compares to seeing your own side being successful. Anyone who feels otherwise obviously needs some sort of treatment.

That's the best post I've ever read mate. There's never been a bigger collection of cnuts anywhere on the planet.

And there are people saying they'd miss Liverpool if they go down:wenger: The mind boggles!
Nazi Germany says hi (from the past).

Option 2 is just too funny to pass up imo. We have every chance of winning more titles anyway (especially if we finished second in this hypothetical situation) but its not like seeing Liverpool get relegated comes around often. Option 1 is the right choice realistically though.

I couldn't give a bollocks about Liverpool. Some get really riled up about them, some of my friends cant even watch them on tele unless they are getting hammered. I never got it, hatred or real dislike for other clubs. I just concentrate on United and not get too wrapped up in rivals.

So ya, for the poll obviously us winning the league means more to me than where Liverpool end up.

I've had a small rethink after reading the well reasoned arguments on this excellent thread & have reconsidered slightly.

If we SPECIFICALLY say Utd winning the Title THIS season with LFC in a jolly unfortunate 2nd place then yes I would prefer that swap in the theoretical market place of speculative preference. However, as a nebulous wishy-washy concept of ''one pesky title in some or other year we don't know'' vs. the delicious thought of the mighty LFC being consigned to relegation with possible Leeds-esque consequences then my vote swings the other way. Can I be undecided / unsure now please? I didn't really understand the question.

What if it was an LVG style footy Title what was being traded, that'd be much more OK wouldn't it? It's very tricky, isn't it? But what a great thread.

I'd rather win the title. A close race between United and 'Pool with United finishing on top would be very sweet, and would be pretty funny too if United came from behind to do it. Plenty of meltdowns on RAWK. If Liverpool were relegated they'd just bounce right back up. It'd be funny but mean nothing in the long run.

I get all that, but I have also heard United singing Hillsborough songs for example. As much as they are our rivals and I can't stand them, our season is richer for them being in our league. I do not look forward to a season where we don't play Liverpool, its always one of the biggest games of any season and one that I look forward to more than any other.

I entirely agree with you. I was in Europe the season that culminated in Heysel and saw their hooligans trash places and not a word in the Scouse dominated press. Took them many years to accept their complicity in Heysel; their Munich jibes just shames them forever. They are champions of the double standards as a club and fanbase. They were poor champions of the sport and their fans some of the worst in the league. They expected all English fans to support them in Europe but then would support the foreign club when it was Forest or us. First time I heard 'abu' was from that shower.

Today as you rightly say, they are not real rivals, and haven't been for a decade or more; but it suits both clubs to raise the anti. I don't expect them to be a threat to us or ever return to their past glories. They brought the game into so much disrepute its bizarre how their so called reputation has remained solid in the media. Like the Telegraph in the summer using them as a benchmark for criticism of English football - might as well have used the Bitters.

If United win, that's it for me.
If United don't win, at least I'll take some comfort in others misery.

I would rather sit on our fecking perch looking down on them from the top, rubbing their faces in our glory than have us be a small fish laughing at an even smaller fish. Being at the top, right before their eyes would be fantastic. They could write another book or two. They Dared to Dream 2: Electric Boogaloo or Klopp but no Cigar would be fitting titles.

Liverpool getting relegated would be one of the best and funniest days ever so yes please make it happen.

These polls jeez, they're getting worse and the outcomes even more so