Would you prefer Liverpool to be relegated (failure) over United winning the league (success)

As a United fan what would you rather see?

• United 1st and Liverpool 2nd

Votes: 503 85.3%
  • United 2nd and Liverpool relegated

Votes: 88 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FAO @golden_blunder

Let's get something straight here. It's not the rivalry as much as constant disgusting actions that come out of that cesspool. They've done nothing but disgrace the league and the sport with things like the manager going off about how the fixtures are rigged, another manager and club legend wearing a fecking t shirt to openly and officially support a racist and fans organising events called 'Spirit of Shankly' to sing chants about Munich in collection. We've had fierce matches and periods with Arsenal during the Fergie-Wenger years but despite whatever happened on the pitch I've never had an ill feeling towards them or their fans and would never want them gone. Liverpool is simply a hateful elitist collection of figerpointing morons who have never shown an iota of respect to anyone else or their achievements. Absolute vile creatures and I honestly hope for a day when I see Anfield's controlled demolition as the name of the club permanently disappears from existence.

We deserve better rivals than this.

I entirely agree with you. I was in Europe the season that culminated in Heysel and saw their hooligans trash places and not a word in the Scouse dominated press. Took them many years to accept their complicity in Heysel; their Munich jibes just shames them forever. They are champions of the double standards as a club and fanbase. They were poor champions of the sport and their fans some of the worst in the league. They expected all English fans to support them in Europe but then would support the foreign club when it was Forest or us. First time I heard 'abu' was from that shower.

Today as you rightly say, they are not real rivals, and haven't been for a decade or more; but it suits both clubs to raise the anti. I don't expect them to be a threat to us or ever return to their past glories. They brought the game into so much disrepute its bizarre how their so called reputation has remained solid in the media. Like the Telegraph in the summer using them as a benchmark for criticism of English football - might as well have used the Bitters.

I can't care less about them, it's only fun to watch them fail in the premier league. It's good for the rivalry. Wish Leeds was up as well so we could smash them 2+ times per season..

Its a odd one, i would compare it with CL and EPL as if i could choose one at the start of every season id always take EPL over CL but when we actually win it i celebrate more CL win. So i would probably choose United winning the tittle but i would celebrate more if Pool actually went down, just imagine the scenes....the relegation itself and then at least the whole year of Championship:lol:
We won league many times in my life and Liverpool getting relegated is a once in a lifetime opportunity so its not strange that there are people who would choose the latter one.

To all these people harping on about how " you're not a good Utd fan if you pick Liverpool's failure over Utd winning".
I assume you'd all be happy to go with Utd winning the league cup and Liverpool winning our 1999 treble, rather than Utd not winning the league cup and Liverpool being relegated then?

Caring about Liverpool is sooo 80ies and 90ies. ;)

Seriously, I voted "United 1st". Specially these days, after Sir Alex Ferguson stepped down, I really kind of like the idea of winning this f****** sh** premier league again.

Caring about Liverpool is sooo 80ies and 90ies. ;)

Seriously, I voted "United 1st". Specially these days, after Sir Alex Ferguson stepped down, I really kind of like the idea of winning this f****** sh** premier league again.
See, that is it in a nutshell. SAF stepped down 3 years ago and you're talking like that's an age. Imagine living through 26 years of not winning a League title and then and your biggest rival goes and wins 10 Championships and 4 European Cups (and sundry smaller stuff) in 15 years. If you lived through it, the scars are still deep. :wenger: I'd still take the title though over Liverpool being relegated.

Last edited:
If it meant winning the league I'd accept losing 10-0 to Liverpool every time we played them.

Before Fergie retired playing Liverpool was almost like another game. If Utd won, we were happy but ultimately it was about the 3 points or progresssing in the cup and we moved on to the next game. If Utd lost, would be annoyed but would soon get over it while for Liverpool, it was the highlight of the season due to how poor they were.
But then Moyes arrived and Liverpool almost won the title. Things that season changed many Utd fans view of Liverpool and became very important to beat them and equally for some, enjoy liverpools losses and failures.

Liverpool are on the up and with Klopp, no doubt the best manager they've had since the 80's.
Liverpool being relegated would result in Klopps sacking and many key players leaving. And for liverpool and their fans, the ultimate humiliation. All their progress would be undone and set them even further back.
Crucially it would reset the mindset of some Utd fans of how they currently feel about Liverpool and treat them the way we did when Fergie was around.
So for me nothing weird about fans voting option 2 since our mentality has changed, from champions to being happy with top 4 for example.

Last edited:
I asked a question similar to this to a friend yesterday.
Would you rather:

A. Win the league
b. Finish second, behind Liverpool but with City being relegated and the owners selling up to an average joe owner

A easily. Maybe that's cos I'm a southerner, I only know one City fan so I don't have to deal with their shite. I hate Arsenal more than City even.

Oh I get it. I get that a Liverpool fan wants to defend vile actions done by his club again. What's new!
What about the vile actions of United fans, West Ham fans, Chelsea fans, fans of other European clubs? Anything to say about any of them?

Stop pretending Liverpool fans are the only ones who take supporting their team too far. It's a football related problem that has existed for decades, it's not limited to any one club and it's certainly not a contest. Any fan who goes to a game with the intention of causing harm to another person is bottom of the barrel scum in my view, and every club has their fair share.

I wish we had the ability to hide threads so we can pretend they don't exist.

To all these people harping on about how " you're not a good Utd fan if you pick Liverpool's failure over Utd winning".
I assume you'd all be happy to go with Utd winning the league cup and Liverpool winning our 1999 treble, rather than Utd not winning the league cup and Liverpool being relegated then?

That's not really the same.

Your choice is weird as hell, neither of those is good or even what happened. So my options are United to win something or nothing, either way 1999 never happened? best case is a Pyrrhic victory of the league cup anyway.

The original choice, is to swap ultimate success for marginal success and petty enjoyment of someone else's failure. As much as I'd enjoy the schadenfreude of Liverpool going down, I'm not proud of myself about it nor would I trade anything for it, I prefer United to do the best they can, feck what happens to Liverpool.

I find this question rather bizarre. I would always want us to win instead of focusing on what rival clubs do. Winning is what matters and it seems Liverpool don't know how to win a title since 1990.

We have been better than them for over 20 years now. Why should we bother where they finish as long as it is below us.

What about the vile actions of United fans, West Ham fans, Chelsea fans, fans of other European clubs? Anything to say about any of them?

Stop pretending Liverpool fans are the only ones who take supporting their team too far. It's a football related problem that has existed for decades, it's not limited to any one club and it's certainly not a contest. Any fan who goes to a game with the intention of causing harm to another person is bottom of the barrel scum in my view, and every club has their fair share.
No one is talking about that, calm down. Read my post and respond to what I've written.

Wearing T shirts in support of a racist isn't a football problem, it's something precisely expected of Liverpool. Any other club would openly condemn if their player did something like what Suarez did, but you lot would turn a blind eye every single time your club does something as embarrassing as that instead of showing basic decency and calling it out. These are actions officially sanctioned by your club and account to nothing but disgrace brought upon the sport. No less than when your manager openly accused of the fixtures being rigged. Just pathetic.

It's true every club has it's share of problematic fans but the difference is unlike you lot we genuinely condemn any such behaviour. You on the other hand, well, less said the better. SEP put it perfectly - champions of double standard.

And just like that you and your pal here do nothing but prove the point. For once man up and say that your club made mistakes, for once.

It gives some context to their posts, it's not quite off-topic.

Okay well obviously I am wrong, my assumption was the attitude of those said posters was disrespectful and those matters weren't (in whatever context) to be discussed on here.

I thought Munich (and particularly Heysel), were "not to be used". My mistake then.

Doesn't one bit change the fact both are plonkers of the highest order.

Mr WUM himself @Akash can be added to that list

Last edited:
No one is talking about that, calm down. Read my post and respond to what I've written.

Wearing T shirts in support of a racist isn't a football problem, it's something precisely expected of Liverpool. Any other club would openly condemn if their player did something like what Suarez did, but you lot would turn a blind eye every single time your club does something as embarrassing as that instead of showing basic decency and calling it out. These are actions officially sanctioned by your club and account to nothing but disgrace brought upon the sport. No less than when your manager openly accused of the fixtures being rigged. Just pathetic.

It's true every club has it's share of problematic fans but the difference is unlike you lot we genuinely condemn any such behaviour. You on the other hand, well, less said the better. SEP put it perfectly - champions of double standard.

And just like that you and your pal here do nothing but prove the point. For once man up and say that your club made mistakes, for once.

Not only did they defend a racist (surprise surprise) but they openly blamed Evra which made it a 100 times worse. And not just their fans (Which was expected) but the club in it's official capacity had a go at Evra. Utterly shameless and despicable club.

You my friend have come to the wrong place if you are expecting people to shower praise on the scum.

Hahahaaaa.

Have you got three thumbs or something ?

Iam not engaging with someone so narrow minded , confused and angry.

So please ...... do one la !

As funny as Liverpool getting relegated would be, id take the title any day.
Me too. Liverpool getting relegated doesn't hold that much appeal for me. Not being able to beat them every year would certainly take the shine off the rivalry (a la Leeds). Taking away their 5 European Cups on the other hand....................

Always the victim, it's never our fault. Should be printed on their shirt under their badge.

I care about us winning the league. I actually love seeing stronger teams in the league.

A more interesting question would be: Would you take Liverpool winning the league if United won the Thursdays-in-Europe league, League Cup and FA Cup.

I do not understand people saying delete the thread and other nonsense.

It is clearly an issue people which to discuss.

The poll was not what I would have put up and I have changed the question in the title as it was made without my consent.

A fairer poll would be for option 2 to state Liverpool never get promoted again and go out of existence due to financial issues which is not so outlandish as I would swear they almost went out of business under previous ownership about seven years ago.

Liverpools are a toxic presence in football and I offer no apologies for hating their open racism and their its never our fault mentality.

If they were gone forever it would be greater than one league title for me and I stand by that statement.

Last edited: