Would you prefer Liverpool to be relegated (failure) over United winning the league (success)

As a United fan what would you rather see?

• United 1st and Liverpool 2nd

Votes: 503 85.3%
  • United 2nd and Liverpool relegated

Votes: 88 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did United really have a friendly relationship with Liverpool and City in those days?

One elderly fan once told me years ago that he would go United one week and City the next week when he was a lad.

It was a different time for football indeed.
It certainly wasn't like today. Matt and Bill Shankly were very close and George Best was actually Mike Summerbee's best man at his wedding.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...truck-amazing-derby-deal-with-Best-pal-George

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rbee-recalls-George-Best-loved-good-life.html

Just reading about George's death still brings a tear to my eye.

Last edited:
Probably option 2. I know Liverpool fans (scousers) and that outcome would be hilarious as a Utd supporter. You can't win the league everytime so this would be a nice caveat.

They'd come back up no question but the meltdown would be glorious and the consequence would mean they are way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way off ever returning to their glory days whereas as of now they are just way, way, way, way, way, way, way off.

Having scouse friends and regularly having contact with Liverpool fans makes it worth it. I don't know many Chelsea fans for instance so the same option for them wouldn't resonate with me. Yeah there's the internet fans but it's not the same.

Couldn't care less about Liverpool or any other club for that matter, aslong as Manchester United are successful.

As a United fan, first instinct is option 1.

But ultimately voted 2, because option 1 could mean the gap is close but option 2 means the chasm is insurmountable long while considering the resources it would require.

I've seen United win the league many times. And the fact that you have Liverpool so close to us makes this a very easy decision.

Liverpool getting relegated would be hilarious.

If they were to get relegated in a season where we come second, then I'd be very optimistic about our chances the season after anyway.

If we win it, we're the best.
If we finish below the first place, we're only better than they are, just as Tottenham, City, Arsenal, Leicester and others are, which obviously is not something difficult to achieve.

Pretty simple choice.

Of course I wanna win the League. What an odd question. :wenger: Couldn't care less what Pool does. But the title would be even sweeter if they come 2nd behind us. :D

Another Liverpool thread. We say the Dippers are obsessed with us but some United fans on here just won't let it go. feck em, if they do well then so be it. Those boys have just endured 20+ years of us dominating the league and are quite envious - that's why so many of them come on here.

Great post but I do not agree with your last sentence. Thats not the reason I come on here . If you asked me the reason I'd say I dont really know. If you cornered me I may say something like .. still dont know but surely Ive shown that all of us arent deluded twats and if thats not the case then why was I promoted ? I recieved a PM off a MOD when I was promoting saying I was a good lad. Most of youse are but some divvies in this thread are showing themselves .

That was because of the way the thread had already gone, it was not the question I would have made myself if I had been given the courtesy of being allowed make threads under my name myself.

Instead you made the thread and moronic poll but put my name as the author and subjected me to abuse when I did not intend this thread to exist and certainly not in the format it does.

I cannot remove or change the poll only the thread title so I have put the question and dilemma in my last post that I would have put originally had I wanted this as a thread which I did not.

I don't think moving one post in another thread and making it the center point of prolonged discussion is fair at all but you are a mod I suppose.
I tend to agree with you. This is one of those inflamatory threads where the whole caf comes down on someone; when it wasn't even your thread in the first place, and the poll doesn't reflect your comment in the first copied over thread. I doubt absolutely it was meant that way when it was first done, but it does seem a bit unfair now.

I don't have any problem admitting the mistakes the club and SOME fans of Liverpool have made in the past. You'll notice that my post didn't try and defend any of that.

My problem is that you try and paint all Liverpool fans with the same brush. Because Liverpool as a club took a long time to accept responsibility for Heysel therefore all Liverpool fans everywhere should share the blame? I wasn't even born then. You keep saying you and you're like its my personal responsibility.

Yes the behaviour during the Suarez/Evra racism row was unacceptable from a Liverpool point of view (likely driven by the tribalism that still exists with some fans today), and so was the treatment Anton Ferdinand received from some Chelsea fans following the Terry racism incident. Some fans are idiots with no morals. Are you telling me that in a case like Suarez and Evra where it was one players word against another initially (not defending Suarez or the clubs actions following the guilty verdict by the way) that there wouldn't be some United fans out there defending one of their own? I wouldn't accuse you or anyone individually but none of us can know what every other fan of our club is like.

I cant really comment on the manager thing as I'm not sure who you're referring to but I'm sure I've heard managers complain about the fixtures before. You're own manager accused referees of being scared of giving decisions in his sides favour. Is that acceptable? I'm not responsible for what my clubs manager says or does.
I'll criticise Dalglish with you over his behaviour over Suarez though, that really brought out the worst in him.

I agree that the club and some of our fans have acted in an unacceptable way in the past, I don't try and hide from that. Your posts seem to suggest that all Liverpool fans are the same though which simply isn't true.

Dont wast your breath mate.

He his finding it hard to respond to that because you are speaking a little sense

Either that or he's growing a fourth thumb. He'll be able to do a five times salute with his thumbs at this rate.

In response to the original question.

United to win the league and importantly I wouldn't want Liverpool to be bankrupt.

How boring would football be without competition from our rivals!?

Dont wast your breath mate.

He his finding it hard to respond to that because you are speaking a little sense

Either that or he's growing a fourth thumb. He'll be able to do a five times salute with his thumbs at this rate.
See, you just had to get in in. :)

See, you just had to get in in. :)

Its always best done with humour :)

If I'd have started throwing insults back I would have achieved nothing . He would have achieved winding me up and stooping me to his level. Life has taught me petrol on fire doessnt really go.

In a few years I reckon he may have twenty thumbs so he can give us the twenty times salute back and get his revenge. :D

That's not really the same.

Your choice is weird as hell, neither of those is good or even what happened. So my options are United to win something or nothing, either way 1999 never happened? best case is a Pyrrhic victory of the league cup anyway.

The original choice, is to swap ultimate success for marginal success and petty enjoyment of someone else's failure. As much as I'd enjoy the schadenfreude of Liverpool going down, I'm not proud of myself about it nor would I trade anything for it, I prefer United to do the best they can, feck what happens to Liverpool.
I didn't mean the actual treble in 99' , I just meant the PL, CL and FA Cup treble. Would you be willing to sacrifice a trophy for Utd to prevent Liverpool winning the treble?

wha...? how do you work that one out?

supporting United 30+ years now and it would give me great pleasure to see them relegated, a once in a lifetime event. How could I not want to witness that? The fallout would be the funniest thing ever! can you imagine sky sports panning in on them all crying in the stands. "...sob....I can't...believe...it....la... its...like...sniff...sniff...Accrington...sobs...Stanley...all...sniff....over....again.."

Love it. :lol::lol:

Great post but I do not agree with your last sentence. Thats not the reason I come on here . If you asked me the reason I'd say I dont really know. If you cornered me I may say something like .. still dont know but surely Ive shown that all of us arent deluded twats and if thats not the case then why was I promoted ? I recieved a PM off a MOD when I was promoting saying I was a good lad. Most of youse are but some divvies in this thread are showing themselves .
I just don't get why you would want to come to a United forum as an opposition fan. Even to gloat if you beat United, I just don't get it. The thought of going on RAWK just doesn't compute to me. Each to their own but I'm sure you need a thick skin to come on her and put up with some of the mindless nonsense that gets spouted. Why do it to yourself?

Us finishing first and them finishing second, preferably by them going into the last game of the season 2 points clear and only needing a win at home against Burnley to seal it, but in emotion of the pre victory parade they end up losing 1-0 with a last minute goal by Micheal Keane, whilst we beat City away and seal to the title is the stuff of dreams.

That, or any combination of us finishing first and them second would be fantastic please.

I just don't get why you would want to come to a United forum as an opposition fan. Even to gloat if you beat United, I just don't get it. The thought of going on RAWK just doesn't compute to me. Each to their own but I'm sure you need a thick skin to come on her and put up with some of the mindless nonsense that gets spouted. Why do it to yourself?

Tbf the caf is probably a good forum to join regardless of who you support. For example, I doubt you'd have a CE forum as good as this site's on pretty much any other fan forum. The sheer size of the caf makes it pretty busy and a busy forum is more fun to post on. Also, I'd guess we're relatively welcoming towards opposition fans compared to other places.

Funny thing is most of us don't see Liverpool as our main rivals anymore...Still nice to beat them though.

Actually been saying it for a long time, they are not our true rivals and the game is only another north-west derby. The real derby is against the Bitters who are now showing ambitions on our level. Winning the league always comes first with me but seeing them relegated would suit me down to the ground.

Actually been saying it for a long time, they are not our true rivals and the game is only another north-west derby. The real derby is against the Bitters who are now showing ambitions on our level. Winning the league always comes first with me but seeing them relegated would suit me down to the ground.

:lol:

the problem is if Hull can come straight back up...sure these lot can to.

I tend to be a realist. The Title is real and we have a darn good chance this season.

Looking forward to our first home match. Hope the lads heard the manager and give our team a damn good welcome as we know the Stretty can.

Depends where you're from I guess. Liverpool will always be our biggest rival as far as I'm concerned as I simply know way too many Liverpool fans, whereas I've genuinely only ever met a handful of City fans over here in Ireland. They also don't have a history success that can rival ours, unlike Liverpool. From that point of view City are just another Chelsea to me, albeit with a heap of extra bitterness. Before they got pumped up with money though I really couldn't have cared less about them.

This thread is warming us up nicely before the season gets going; but, I really don't concern myself with that shower.

Looking forward to tomorrow, but a Friday?! Not my idea of a first home game - pity both sets of fans especially those coming from the south coast. Shitty trick to pull on people.

Depends where you're from I guess. Liverpool will always be our biggest rival as far as I'm concerned as I simply know way too many Liverpool fans, whereas I've genuinely only ever met a handful of City fans over here in Ireland. They also don't have a history success that can rival ours, unlike Liverpool. From that point of view City are just another Chelsea to me, albeit with a heap of extra bitterness. Before they got pumped up with money though I really couldn't have cared less about them.

Manchester, Cheetham Hill/Crumpsall. 90% of my family are Bitters and 2 played for them up to reserves.

Some would probably be able to give constructive reasons - I can't even remember why I joined!

I do come & go, there can be gaps of weeks or even months when I don't even read what is on here. Then I will see something that I can't resist posting to and off I go again.

The bit in bold is very true, but the latter "mindless nonsense" is very relevant, certainly for me. There has been some absolute crap posted on here about LFC (some of it by certain posters in this thread!).
Sometimes it's just nice to either put people right, have your say, offer a different viewpoint ,reply to "nonsense" , or whatever variation of that is relevant at the time.

The "mindless nonsense" comment you state pretty much sums up a lot of what we see and reply to - I guess it's just hard to stop yourself replying sometimes.

In fairness all the Liverpool fans on here would probably also say there have been numerous good natured banter and debate too - so it's not all "nonsense"....

Last edited:
Rather the league, even if them getting relegated is a much longer shot. Don't think I would want them relegated in the long term anyway. Love the banter, the RAWK element's madness, the Crystanbul season etc. but for me it's a proper rivalry, while I always fiercely want to beat them, I have respect as well, maybe I'm just very old school. Would miss the games too much.

The city derby isn't quite the same, know so many blues (even in the family) that the competitiveness isn't there for me to the same extent, we generally (publicly) wish each other well, even if they're a bigger threat than liverpool nowadays. That said, RAWK would be amazing.

Last edited:

I've just told you .

:)

But yes you do have a point.

I also question myself why I do other things in life . The answer is still the same.

I just do them .

I tend to agree with you. This is one of those inflamatory threads where the whole caf comes down on someone; when it wasn't even your thread in the first place, and the poll doesn't reflect your comment in the first copied over thread. I doubt absolutely it was meant that way when it was first done, but it does seem a bit unfair now.

Related to that, I am really fed up with reading whingeing posts that say ''I don't like this thread'', ''What a stupid thread'' or whatever - even on the most innocuous subjects. What's the point really? Thank you for your input, now feck off, might be my response next time it happens to one of mine, I reckon, :). Which would be wrong, obvs. But is so annoying, we don't need to know really, innit.

I don't have any problem admitting the mistakes the club and SOME fans of Liverpool have made in the past. You'll notice that my post didn't try and defend any of that.

My problem is that you try and paint all Liverpool fans with the same brush. Because Liverpool as a club took a long time to accept responsibility for Heysel therefore all Liverpool fans everywhere should share the blame? I wasn't even born then. You keep saying you and you're like its my personal responsibility.

Yes the behaviour during the Suarez/Evra racism row was unacceptable from a Liverpool point of view (likely driven by the tribalism that still exists with some fans today), and so was the treatment Anton Ferdinand received from some Chelsea fans following the Terry racism incident. Some fans are idiots with no morals. Are you telling me that in a case like Suarez and Evra where it was one players word against another initially (not defending Suarez or the clubs actions following the guilty verdict by the way) that there wouldn't be some United fans out there defending one of their own? I wouldn't accuse you or anyone individually but none of us can know what every other fan of our club is like.

I cant really comment on the manager thing as I'm not sure who you're referring to but I'm sure I've heard managers complain about the fixtures before. You're own manager accused referees of being scared of giving decisions in his sides favour. Is that acceptable? I'm not responsible for what my clubs manager says or does.
I'll criticise Dalglish with you over his behaviour over Suarez though, that really brought out the worst in him.

I agree that the club and some of our fans have acted in an unacceptable way in the past, I don't try and hide from that. Your posts seem to suggest that all Liverpool fans are the same though which simply isn't true.

Credit where credit is due, thats a fair post.

Some of us have longer memories and personal experience with Scousers which shape our opinions. I suppose a Scouse who stands up, admits the failings of their club but remains loyal to that club is to be respected.

United isn't perfect and my behaviour before 1979 was probably dodgy by today's standards but I don't mind discussing our failings or why I hate Dipperpool. But, Scousers moaning and bitching is like being wrestled by dead sheep and has little effect on me.

Have a word with yourselves some of you. :lol:

You'd ridicule other clubs for even discussing this on other forums; how it's managed to reach 12 pages I will never know. City winning anything is priority for me. Beating United to the title in 2012 will never be topped by any kind of United suffering, and why would it.

Have a word with yourselves some of you. :lol:

You'd ridicule other clubs for even discussing this on other forums; how it's managed to reach 12 pages I will never know. City winning anything is priority for me. Beating United to the title in 2012 will never be topped by any kind of United suffering, and why would it.

This thread is fine - although I believe you lot are now our true rivals. I actually remember when you lot won the league in 1969.

Between then and 2012, the thousands of laughs your lot gifted us deserved an award for comedy. That won't happen but ... Thank you, thank you! :lol::lol::lol:

I think the pain of seeing United being Champions again is more than enough plus us winning not only pleases us but would piss off our other rivals like City.