Who wins euro 2024?

The Euro is generally a quite open competition... We had Denmark in the semifinals 3 years ago, and they were close to knocking out England, and we saw Wales reach SF in the previous edition.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a surprise team go far and may be win it. In those surprise teams we can expect Belgium or the Netherlands.

But so far I'd say that we have 3 main favorites —in no particular order— (Germany, England & France) and 3 main outsiders (Italy, Spain & Portugal).

It's been one game which is not a lot to judge on- and Argentina won the World Cup after losing their opening game to Saudi Arabia- but I think if France click into gear they'll be the team to beat. Didn't even play that well the other night but they have pace everywhere in the team and should murder teams on the transition, which they nearly did a few times against Austria. The defence is so quick as well.

Spain looked really strong and could surprise a few. Not impressed with Portugal so far, despite their squad.

It's been one game which is not a lot to judge on- and Argentina won the World Cup after losing their opening game to Saudi Arabia- but I think if France click into gear they'll be the team to beat. Didn't even play that well the other night but they have pace everywhere in the team and should murder teams on the transition, which they nearly did a few times against Austria. The defence is so quick as well.

Spain looked really strong and could surprise a few. Not impressed with Portugal so far, despite their squad.

France are my favourites too, but they rely on their best player (Mbappé) more than other top teams rely on theirs.

Does anyone have any idea how the 3rd place teams are decided? Assume points then goal difference?

I've got tickets to one of the knock out games in Munich and it's currently winner group E vs 3 A/B/C/D.

So Belgium (presumably) vs Hungary/Croatia/Serbia/Austria.

Does anyone have any idea how the 3rd place teams are decided? Assume points then goal difference?

I've got tickets to one of the knock out games in Munich and it's currently winner group E vs 3 A/B/C/D.

1. Points
2. Goal difference
3. Goals for
4. Wins
5. Disciplinary points
6. Performance in qualifying

Even without seeing their game tomorrow I would say there are five candidates.
Three really strong ones: Germany, England and France and one step below Spain and Portugal.
I think all five have enough individuality and group to win a play-off. I wouldn't find any result between them shocking.

You can have been asleep for the last two years(or 4), wake up and say that France is a candidate without being wrong. They are the most established and you know what you're going to find.
Over the years it may be a tactical weakness.
Perhaps I see one more game of Germany being a roller, motivated and at home and change my mind, but right now I would say England > France > Germany.
Agree with this. I said Germany before the tournament started and think their hunger plus home ground advantage might just be enough for them. But yeah, i'll be surprised if the winner is not any one of those 5.

Bloody hell, is this still a thing? FFS.

What have we really learned from the first round of games? Tentatively I'd say, I've increased my expectations to Germany and Spain, and decreased for England. France still among the very favorites - didn't see anything to change that.

What have we really learned from the first round of games? Tentatively I'd say, I've increased my expectations to Germany and Spain, and decreased for England. France still among the very favorites - didn't see anything to change that.
Agreed, especially re Spain. Also think Netherlands at least look more solid than expected - always felt their defending, albeit with stellar names, wasn't that good. Still think Van de Ven should start ahead of De Vrij.

I don't think Holland have been great , but I feel they have an untapped well to visit in zirksee , that may raise their level .

I think bar England and Holland , we've possibly seen everybody's best hand .

I tipped Germany , but spain have looked good , though I'd like to see how they react to going a goal down against a team with real pace .

Overall , I think France are the most powerful team .

The Netherlands are bigger bottlers than England, historically.
The 2000 Euros spring to mind, England never convincingly outplayed an equal rival the way the Netherlands outplayed a great Italy side in the semis of the 2000 Euros.

What England has going for them is that the one weakness everyone feared (Stones’ CB partner) looked very good so far, and is probably their best performing player in the tournament.
If the front 4 get going England could go far.

If I was a betting man, which I am, in order or chances of winning it:
Germany, France, Spain, England

Last edited:

This is not World Cup and people are only asking for entertainment… comp starts at QF level, now formation laps.

The 2000 Euros spring to mind, England never convincingly outplayed an equal rival the way the Netherlands outplayed a great Italy side in the semis of the 2000 Euros.

What England has going for them is that the one weakness everyone feared (Stones’ CB partner) looked very good so far, and is probably their best performing player in the tournament.

Not denying we bottled that by missing 2 penalties, but we also outplayed them because Zambrotta was send off after 34 minutes.

We are bigger bottlers though, as we have actually been good at a few points in time :rolleyes:

I don't think Holland have been great , but I feel they have an untapped well to visit in zirksee , that may raise their level .

I think bar England and Holland , we've possibly seen everybody's best hand .

I tipped Germany , but spain have looked good , though I'd like to see how they react to going a goal down against a team with real pace .

Overall , I think France are the most powerful team .

There is no chance Koeman will drop Memphis, none.

Not denying we bottled that by missing 2 penalties, but we also outplayed them because Zambrotta was send off after 34 minutes.

We are bigger bottlers though, as we have actually been good at a few points in time :rolleyes:
And another two (?) missed in the shootout, forgot about Zambrotta getting sent off, should’ve won that game for sure.
Totally agree that the Netherlands were top tier and played fantastic football in several tournaments, 98,2000 and those 3 matches in the Euro 2008 group stages come to mind, and obviously the 2010 world cup.

And another two (?) missed in the shootout, forgot about Zambrotta getting sent off, should’ve won that game for sure.
Totally agree that the Netherlands were top tier and played fantastic football in several tournaments, 98,2000 and those 3 matches in the Euro 2008 group stages come to mind, and obviously the 2010 world cup.

Yeah, I remember almost not wanting to even watch the shootout as there was just no chance we would win it. Somehow the 1998 world cup defeat to Brazil hurt more. The victory over Argentina with that Bergkamp goal was just so glorious. Stupid shootouts :(

The 2010 world cup was actually very un Dutch. We had a rather cynical playstyle with Van Bommel and Nigel de Jong kicking at everyone.

Of course we also had Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder and Kuyt.

Spain looks like the best bet at the moment, but for some reason i think they will lose it in the semis. They look like the best team however. Portugal are decent too, second favorites for me.

France should be better, but Deschamps really is becoming more and more stale. It's at least one tournament too far for him. Feel the same obviously about Southgate and England.

Netherlands...not enough of there.

Still pretty open.

You say that but Guehi made an awful individual error that any top player would have punished with him getting dispossessed as last man. I know the commentators were very positive because he recovered but he was incredibly lucky there.

Our main weakness is one people didn’t really expect in my opinion, being the midfield setup being able to function at all. I thought it would be ok, even tempering my expectations with all the England hype, but it’s been terrible so far.

Yeah, I remember almost not wanting to even watch the shootout as there was just no chance we would win it.
One of the best days in history and the greatest, most dutch performance of all time :drool: :lol:

Also Germany may not be winning the Euros afterall :lol:

One of the best days in history and the greatest, most dutch performance of all time :drool: :lol:

Also Germany may not be winning the Euros afterall :lol:
Nah the most Dutch is still '74. Only the Dutch can have one of their national sides ranked in the top 5 of all time and not win anything.

Missing 5 penalties out of 6 and if somebody got the xG for that game it would probably read something silly like 6-0

Owned by a fairly mid goalkeeper, not even Buffon ffs

Missing 5 penalties out of 6 and if somebody got the xG for that game it would probably read something silly like 6-0

Owned by a fairly mid goalkeeper, not even Buffon ffs
I don't remember it that well honestly. I blocked it out :(

Who was the keeper, Toldo or something?

I just watched the highlights from that game. Jesus. It's worse than I remember :lol:

We had such an amazing team too.

That first pen we got was extremely soft by the way.

Last edited:
Quite impressed with the Swiss so far . I flicked between both games tonight , but if I was a big dog there's plenty of other teams I'd be wanting to get in the knockouts before them .

As far as true dark horses ( teams that haven't won a bean ), they may well be the pick I'd go for

Haven't been overly impressed by anyone. I think France should do it. I fancied Germany but looked poor and tired tonight. I genuinely think Portugal have no chance.

Spain, Germany, France and Portugal by that order.

I don't get the bias towards England. They showed nothing in the past tournaments or this tournament that would justify considering them one of the main favorites.
Sure, they have the quality to challenge it, but they aren't among the top favorites to win it.

Quite impressed with the Swiss so far . I flicked between both games tonight , but if I was a big dog there's plenty of other teams I'd be wanting to get in the knockouts before them .

As far as true dark horses ( teams that haven't won a bean ), they may well be the pick I'd go for

Yeah I wouldnt fancy getting them either.

Spain, Germany, France and Portugal by that order.

I don't get the bias towards England. They showed nothing in the past tournaments or this tournament that would justify considering them one of the main favorites.
Sure, they have the quality to challenge it, but they aren't among the top favorites to win it.

I mean pens away from winning it is fairly close tbf

The top three teams in the tournament are all on the same side of the bracket, so I'm guessing it's a Germany/Spain vs. Portugal semi-final on that side. I think Spain will end up being the team in the final, but I fancy all three of them to beat whoever the finalist from the other side is. Probably France, despite them looking pretty average so far.

England could luck their way to a semi-final again. High probability of getting favourable draws in the RO16 and QF as long as they win their group.

Swiss are an incredibly savvy tournament team. They pretty much always get out of their group. Akanji and Schar are a very strong duo, Xhaka having a great team centrally after his club season and also have tricky players and some pace in final third.

They could do a Denmark run in this tournament I think. Let's remember they did knock out France in last Euros and then had Spain the next round (who needed extra time) so they'd fancy their chances v an England or Holland I think.

Austria also dangerous floaters based on how they've generally done in the last 18 months, another very well coached team who know their jobs inside out.

Swiss are an incredibly savvy tournament team. They pretty much always get out of their group. Akanji and Schar are a very strong duo, Xhaka having a great team centrally after his club season and also have tricky players and some pace in final third.

They could do a Denmark run in this tournament I think. Let's remember they did knock out France in last Euros and then had Spain the next round (who needed extra time) so they'd fancy their chances v an England or Holland I think.

Austria also dangerous floaters based on how they've generally done in the last 18 months, another very well coached team who know their jobs inside out.

Well coached they are by someone United inexplicably perceived to be lacking the required quality. I hope Austria progress far in this tournament.

There’s no clear favorite but I’m sticking with this order:

France
Spain
Germany

True, not going out on a limb but they seem the most sensible picks. England? I’m afraid not.

Spain IMO. They keep possession better than everyone else, wear the opponent down and just need to be clinical. The likes of France, Germany and Portugal have a chance obvs. England look like prime ETH chaosballers out there - other than the first 25 mins against Serbia - and will have to perform a lot more like the latter to get anywhere. Austria and Switz could be dark horses, but unlikely to win it.

Spain IMO. They keep possession better than everyone else, wear the opponent down and just need to be clinical. The likes of France, Germany and Portugal have a chance obvs. England look like prime ETH chaosballers out there - other than the first 25 mins against Serbia - and will have to perform a lot more like the latter to get anywhere. Austria and Switz could be dark horses, but unlikely to win it.
While Spain going forward is perhaps the best team in this tournament, I think their defense hasn't really been tested full on. France and Germany in knockout football can definitely knock them out as can Portugal.
England, as good as their individual players are, is hampered by Southgate and his lack of management skills.