Who succeeds Southgate as the next England manager? | Lee Carsley interim manager

Potter or Carsley it willl be.
Then they can sack them after 18 months and appoint Pep after he's had a bit of a sabbatical.

Klopp can take the England job while waiting for the Germany job. Nagelesmann will be there for quite some time.

I genuinely think Klopp wants a year off. He takes the England job and while it's more part time there are still games in September, October and November.

I assume he's moved back to Germany now so would be many months away from his family with all the prep needed at St Georges Park.

The FA love the idea of "succession" because it's cheap and sounds like they have some strategic understanding of things. After the clusterfeck of Hodgson and Big Sam's fall from grace they went with their "interim" appointment of promoting Gareth Southgate.

They lucked out, in that he actually did some positive things in rehabilitating the teams image from being expensive flops to "local lads" from diverse backgrounds representing their country. I'll give Southgate a lot of kudos for doing that.

He was also open about the fact that he had a lot to learn and went on programmes talking about what he could learn from other sports and coaching methods. Again this is to be applauded.

However he always reverted to type and played it safe with team selection and formation. Harry Kane's position on the pitch was always a good barometer...he would inevitably track further back towards his own half. By the time he was patrolling the edge of his own penalty box we'd be about to concede a goal.

They'll make Carsley an interim manager and wait to see how the first 2-3 games go. If the players like him / decide to play for him then he will be confirmed in the role. If he gives off Southgate defensive vibes then some players will go missing in these games and we'll get some shock results.

Southgate's body language was very strange in this last tournament. He was a bag of nerves and shaking in interviews. I think he knew he was out of his depth and players like Bellingham were getting frustrated by his approach and questioning his authority. Carsley will need to be more positive or he will lose these players and they'll get the FA to reach into their pockets and pay for a "proper" manager.

If he flops watch out for them going for "Klopp-lite" Thomas Frank...he's got an aggressive agent and has already started briefing the press about him "being in the frame". I can see the FA falling for it as he suits their champagne lifestyle / Lidl wallet approach.

I don't know enough about Carsley to judge how he will be....but I hope he's not another Gareth / Phil Neville type appointment...a willing / cheap option that was never upto the task of winning a tournament.

Last edited:
Jose - disliked him at United but I think he's built for tournament football and would love the attention.

Jose - disliked him at United but I think he's built for tournament football and would love the attention.

Give Jose the team Sven or Capello had and I'd say he wins a tournament. Give him the latest generation of footballers and it'd be a different story.

Give Jose the team Sven or Capello had and I'd say he wins a tournament. Give him the latest generation of footballers and it'd be a different story.

I think it's probably needed.

He'd have dropped Kane mid tournament, I think he'd get the very best out of Bellingham.

The FA love the idea of "succession" because it's cheap and sounds like they have some strategic understanding of things. After the clusterfeck of Hodgson and Big Sam's fall from grace they went with their "interim" appointment of promoting Gareth Southgate.

They lucked out, in that he actually did some positive things in rehabilitating the teams image from being expensive flops to "local lads" from diverse backgrounds representing their country. I'll give Southgate a lot of kudos for doing that.

He was also open about the fact that he had a lot to learn and went on programmes talking about what he could learn from other sports and coaching methods. Again this is to be applauded.

However he always reverted to type and played it safe with team selection and formation. Harry Kane's position on the pitch was always a good barometer...he would inevitably track further back towards his own half. By the time he was patrolling the edge of his own penalty box we'd be about to concede a goal.

They'll make Carsley an interim manager and wait to see how the first 2-3 games go. If the players like him / decide to play for him then he will be confirmed in the role. If he gives off Southgate defensive vibes then some players will go missing in these games and we'll get some shock results.

Southgate's body language was very strange in this last tournament. He was a bag of nerves and shaking in interviews. I think he knew he was out of his depth and players like Bellingham were getting frustrated by his approach and questioning his authority. Carsley will need to be more positive or he will lose these players and they'll get the FA to reach into their pockets and pay for a "proper" manager.

If he flops watch out for them going for "Klopp-lite" Thomas Frank...he's got an aggressive agent and has already started briefing the press about him "being in the frame". I can see the FA falling for it as he suits their champagne lifestyle / Lidl wallet approach.

I don't know enough about Carsley to judge how he will be....but I hope he's not another Gareth / Phil Neville type appointment...a willing / cheap option that was never upto the task of winning a tournament.

Yeah it needs someone who knows more about Carsley to give a better insight on both his management and playing style

Completely agree! If England need to hire a Guardiola or Klopp to win, what does it say about the football culture in the country? I read an article today that said football is maybe not coming home because we (England) haven't prepared any home for it to come to. The big nations have a line of production that ensures they are consistent. If you hire a Pep, the best you can hope for is end the drought, and then what?

We have one solitary international trophy to our name. We have won nothing for over 50 years. Ending the drought sounds pretty good to me. We'll worry about what comes next after we've won the euros and the world cup.

We have one solitary international trophy to our name. We have won nothing for over 50 years. Ending the drought sounds pretty good to me. We'll worry about what comes next after we've won the euros and the world cup.
I can't really disagree with that. At some point, it's just about getting that monkey off the back. It does have shades of us and Spurs appointing Mourinho though, the details are different but the overall feeling that we'll do something we wouldn't otherwise go for, because we just had enough of waiting. That didn't work out well for us or Spurs which is why I am skeptical.

I can't really disagree with that. At some point, it's just about getting that monkey off the back. It does have shades of us and Spurs appointing Mourinho though, the details are different but the overall feeling that we'll do something we wouldn't otherwise go for, because we just had enough of waiting. That didn't work out well for us or Spurs which is why I am skeptical.
International football isn't club football.

It's all about winning in the here and now.

I think Carsley is the most logical choice after some thought.

It has to be an Englishman, not a washed up manager, foreign or domestic, looking for one last payday such as Jose.

Potter is the man for the job. He and not Eddie has the manhood to sit down a big name such as Kane or Foden who is out of form. It's an unprovable theory but I have no doubt that had Southgate started Watkins and Palmer that England would have lifted the cup of glory. But no, Southgate is a company man and he stuck with his big names in the starting XI match after match. Yes, he got England to the cup final but it was get-out-jail stuff every match. Potter would not only make the hard call on the starting XI but he'll have England playing like a team, not a collection of headless chickens. That may not be enough to win the World Cup...but it might be.

It has to be an Englishman, not a washed up manager, foreign or domestic, looking for one last payday such as Jose.

Potter is the man for the job. He and not Eddie has the manhood to sit down a big name such as Kane or Foden who is out of form. It's an unprovable theory but I have no doubt that had Southgate started Watkins and Palmer that England would have lifted the cup of glory. But no, Southgate is a company man and he stuck with his big names in the starting XI match after match. Yes, he got England to the cup final but it was get-out-jail stuff every match. Potter would not only make the hard call on the starting XI but he'll have England playing like a team, not a collection of headless chickens. That may not be enough to win the World Cup...but it might be.

I am pretty sure there would be pressure from FA if Potter comes on and immediately kicks Kane and Foden to the bench.

Klopp? Poch? We didn't fight in 2 world wars and the Falklands for this.

I am pretty sure there would be pressure from FA if Potter comes on and immediately kicks Kane and Foden to the bench.

If England are winning, they won't care who the manager is picking.

Kane is an England legend but he should seriously consider retiring from international football. After his performances this year Southgate's successor should have more political space to bench him. I'm not as sure about Foden. But hopefully that new manager does have the leash to start whoever he wishes and not be forced to appease his masters at the FA.

Judging from experience - no one succeeds as England manager :)

THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE

• Will hold a UEFA Pro License.
  • Will have significant experience of English football, with a strong track record delivering results in the Premier League and/or leading international competitions.
  • Will be an exceptional leader who understands and will enjoy the international football environment.
  • Will be experienced in successfully identifying, managing and developing English qualified players.
  • Will be highly resilient and comfortable in a very high-profile role with intense public scrutiny.
  • Will have a track record of creating a high performing, positive team culture and environment.
  • Will have strong personal values and integrity and understand and embrace the role that the England Men's Senior Team Head Coach has inspiring the nation.
During the recent Euro... we got many top notch coaches here sharing their views...
Hope to see one of us getting the job.
Do send in your resume to the HR contact here.

I think Carsley is the most logical choice after some thought.
It should be Carsley if the FA are serious about their whole England DNA thing. They appointed Southgate the same way, promoting from the U-21s, so it makes perfect sense. Plus he won the U-21 Euros last year so has already worked with most of the players that would be involved in the World Cup qualifiers. There are also major drawbacks with most of the other candidates. Potter still being paid by Chelsea, Howe earning a lot more at Newcastle, Klopp wanting a sabbatical etc. etc.

Perfect appointment for me. I doubt he'd get the lucky draws of Southgate... Just once outplaying decent opposition, winning comfortably in knockout football, holding on to the ball whilst they chase shadows, would be enough for me.

No one can guarantee trophies, at least I'd enjoy watching England again.