Who succeeds Southgate as the next England manager? | Lee Carsley interim manager

The media will never allow a foreign coach. You can thank Neville/Carra and the like for that.
Ehm Eriksson and Capello.

If you want pride over success......yeah then go back to Allardyce.

There are a so many fecking reasons why there aren't many english coaches in Premier League and especially not abroad.

They should do everything possible to get Klopp. However I’d prefer we won stuff with an English manager so I’d prefer potter to get the job.

No doubt he would be my top choice, however said he wants a year out of management. I also think the fact he condoned scouse booing of National Anthem scuppers any hopes.
The World Cup qualification starts in March.

And for the six matches in the Nations League against Ireland, Greece and Finland.....Sam Allardyce would get the six wins for the promotion to the A-Groups.

England already have a wide pool of players capable of playing high intensity modern football. I believe he will be able to implement his style of play in international football too. Rangnick is able to implement gegenpressing with lesser players (no disrespect, IMO) in Austria.
That’s a fair comparison and I stand corrected

I do have a sneaky suspicion it'll be Carsley.

Chances will have definitely increased after seeing a Spanish guy win things at U21 level too. Should look at him as an interim option if Klopp was open to taking it ahead of World Cup qualifiers in 2025.

The media will never allow a foreign coach. You can thank Neville/Carra and the like for that.

Ehm Eriksson and Capello.

If you want pride over success......yeah then go back to Allardyce.

There are a so many fecking reasons why there aren't many english coaches in Premier League and especially not abroad.

I mean, it just should be an Englishman as manager, it's as simple as that. When was the last time ANY of other other traditional footballing superpowers hired a manager outside their own nationality? It just isn't done, it goes a huge way towards building a unity and identity as a team in international football.

We can bemoan that we don't produce managers like Pep or Klopp or Ancelotti all we want which is certainly valid in the wider context, but the fact is these also aren't the managers that are winning international tournaments for the other elite nations. Those are instead the likes of De La Fuente, Deschamps, Lionel Scaloni, Joachim Low, Fernando Santos all in the last decade alone, none of whom you would say were particularly accomplished when they took those jobs.

There is point in rushing in to a decision at this point, let Sarina Wiegman take charge for the Nations League games which are only against Finland, Greece, and Ireland and spend the next 6 months carrying out a proper search for the next permanent manager.

Personally I think it'll be Carsley which I'd back.

Knows the FA setup, worked with a fair few of these players and the new crop coming through. Had success with the U-21's and got them playing some really good football.

I think the key to the next manager being a success will be maintaining the culture and unity that Southgate has done a brilliant job rebuilding but tactically providing something a bit different and more modern.

The way we setup for the U-21 Euros last year showed a tactical astuteness I wasn't really expecting with Carsley at all - on paper a 4-4-2 with no recognised striker and a centre-mid playing RB looks disastrous, but we were surprisingly fluid in possession which is I think clearly is precisely the sort of building blocks to a system we need to get the best out of the likes of Foden, Bellingham, Saka if they're all going to continue starting.

Plus he showed an ability to adapt and utilize the full squad throughout that tournament, which is probably something Southgate should have done more.

Personally I think it'll be Carsley which I'd back. Knows the setup, will have worked with some of these players before and have a good handle on the crop coming through over the next few years as well. Had success with the U-21's and got them playing some really good football, I think the way we setup for the Euros showed a tactical astuteness - on paper a 4-4-2 with no recognised striker and a centre-mid playing RB looks disastrous but we were fluid in possession which is I think precisely what this current crop of players need and I think he can put the building blocks in place to get that sort of system working. And he showed an ability to adapt and utilize the full squad which is probably something Southgate should have done.

Would be a sensible appointment.

Who cares? You never win anything, anyway. I support you every fecking tournament and every time you are a pain in the ass to watch. Sometimes you are quite successful but even when you go all the way to the final you stink the tournaments up until you are rightfully eliminated.
Give it to Mark Hughes, Big Sam again or that baldie who likes to eat worms.

I don't think England could go wrong with either Potter or Carsley. Actually, I am not sure about Carsley because to be honest, I didn't really watch England U-21, but if he's played more progressive football than Southgate as people say he did, he should be ok.

Winner coaches in context of international football are probably overrated anyway, in the end it mostly comes down to the quality of the players at their disposal, and England have plenty of that.

Internal appointments have done quite well for most international sides, as long as they play progressive football in line with the players they have at their disposal, they are mostly fine.

Personally I think it'll be Carsley which I'd back.

Knows the FA setup, worked with a fair few of these players and the new crop coming through. Had success with the U-21's and got them playing some really good football.

I think the key to the next manager being a success will be maintaining the culture and unity that Southgate has done a brilliant job rebuilding but tactically providing something a bit different and more modern.

The way we setup for the U-21 Euros last year showed a tactical astuteness I wasn't really expecting with Carsley at all - on paper a 4-4-2 with no recognised striker and a centre-mid playing RB looks disastrous, but we were surprisingly fluid in possession which is I think clearly is precisely the sort of building blocks to a system we need to get the best out of the likes of Foden, Bellingham, Saka if they're all going to continue starting.

Plus he showed an ability to adapt and utilize the full squad throughout that tournament, which is probably something Southgate should have done more.
Agree with this.

Not excited by Howe or Potter but either's better than Lampard or Gerrard. Carsley seems like the FA's style but I actually think Dyche might be fun!

What style of football/system does Carsley play?
Not sure if there is any distinct style of play as such, just picking the right players for key positions and making use of the ball properly

A simple instance is playing Angel Gomes as a DLP (rather than a #10) alongside another #8, rarely do coaches in England do that with youth sides

Steve Cooper's probably annoyed he took the Leicester job now.

He'd have been right up there in the FA thinking as he managed England to the Under 17 World cup win (against Spain) and all of Guehi, Foden, Gallagher and Sancho were in that squad. Gibbs White also prominent then and under him for Forest and he'll get a call up sooner or later.

I can see them approaching Howe, getting knocked back and then appointing Potter middle of August.

Outsider for me would be Tuchel. Yes his club stints fizzle out but that wouldn't be an issue with longer gaps at international level and the abrupt ending of his Chelsea stint means he has unfinished business in England.

He's also excellent tactically in tournament football given how he won the CL in 2021. Did a great job on Arsenal in this season's edition and was arguably a Neuer fumble from winning it again.

He'd have been right up there in the FA thinking as he managed England to the Under 17 World cup win (against Spain) and all of Guehi, Foden, Gallagher and Sancho were in that squad. Gibbs White also prominent then and under him for Forest and he'll get a call up sooner or later.

I can see them approaching Howe, getting knocked back and then appointing Potter middle of August.

Outsider for me would be Tuchel. Yes his club stints fizzle out but that wouldn't be an issue with longer gaps at international level and the abrupt ending of his Chelsea stint means he has unfinished business in England.

He's also excellent tactically in tournament football given how he won the CL in 2021. Did a great job on Arsenal in this season's edition and was arguably a Neuer fumble from winning it again.

There seems to be a feeling that Potter might have trouble dealing with the media than other candidates

I don't think England could go wrong with either Potter or Carsley. Actually, I am not sure about Carsley because to be honest, I didn't really watch England U-21, but if he's played more progressive football than Southgate as people say he did, he should be ok.

Winner coaches in context of international football are probably overrated anyway, in the end it mostly comes down to the quality of the players at their disposal, and England have plenty of that.

Internal appointments have done quite well for most international sides, as long as they play progressive football in line with the players they have at their disposal, they are mostly fine.
Completely agree! If England need to hire a Guardiola or Klopp to win, what does it say about the football culture in the country? I read an article today that said football is maybe not coming home because we (England) haven't prepared any home for it to come to. The big nations have a line of production that ensures they are consistent. If you hire a Pep, the best you can hope for is end the drought, and then what?

Completely agree! If England need to hire a Guardiola or Klopp to win, what does it say about the football culture in the country? I read an article today that said football is maybe not coming home because we (England) haven't prepared any home for it to come to. The big nations have a line of production that ensures they are consistent. If you hire a Pep, the best you can hope for is end the drought, and then what?

We won't hire Guardiola so will be academic

There seems to be a feeling that Potter might have trouble dealing with the media than other candidates
I think Potter would probably be fine. Southgate wasn't exactly Mr Personality but he did fine in that regard. So long as results are okay and he doesn't say or do anything controversial then I think he would fine and grow into it.

Tuchel is great for tournament football. Ideally he is the best but after the 2 failed non English manager. Not sure English FA willing to take a leap of faith to hire a foreigner for the 3rd time.

Why do people keep saying Pep :lol:there's absolutely no chance of this ever happening of him leaving millions under the table and going to England and ruining his reputation if he doesn't win as unlimited money won't help him there.

Same with Klopp who would have an eye on the Germans if he did want an international stint

Why do people keep saying Pep :lol:there's absolutely no chance of this ever happening of him leaving millions under the table and going to England and ruining his reputation if he doesn't win as unlimited money won't help him there.

Same with Klopp who would have an eye on the Germans if he did want an international stint
Klopp can take the England job while waiting for the Germany job. Nagelesmann will be there for quite some time.