Who succeeds Southgate as the next England manager? | Lee Carsley interim manager

Obvious choices.

Howe, Potter, maybe even Carsley.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went for Poch.

Thinking outside the box.

Rob Edwards, Gary O'Neill or Marco Silva.

Gary Neville mentioned this on stick to football, basically said once you're done as England coach, you're prettt much finished. It's not just you're career after the job, but you're whole professional and personal life can be ruined by failure with England. I would say the media have a lot to do with it, l can't imagine too many people look at it and think it's worth the hassle.
I think Hodgson had a good post England career, McClaren didn't do too badly either.

I don't trust FA to go to Klopp. They would want someone British/English. Potter is available I guess, if he wants to take it up.

I think he could get England playing well enough to actually beat a decent side in tournament football. The luck Southgate got with the draws etc though probably can't be copied.

The new 48 team format of the world cup means that England could actually get an even easier route in the knockout stages!

Do the U-21's play good football under carsley? I have not watched them.
I've not watched them recently but at the Euros last summer, they played good football (which they won). It was interesting as they played good football, despite not playing a traditional no.9. From memory Antony Gordon and Cole Palmer played up front and the forward line was quite fluid system. Angel Gomes was also the deepest midfielder, which I think for typical England sides at many age groups would have been considered a risk.

I think Hodgson had a good post England career, McClaren didn't do too badly either.

Shteeve did ok, when he went back to Steve he wasn't great. Bobby Robson did ok too. But most of them did nothing after. You could argue that most of them guys were pretty much finished by the time they took the job anyway.

Thought Southgate would probably go and while I think it's the right decision, we should appreciate how much better he has made the team.

However I'm actually really interested in who we go for next. A more progressive manager would be very interesting. I'd be really happy with someone like Potter. Think Klopp and to a lesser extent Poch are unrealistic appointments.

I've not watched them recently but at the Euros last summer, they played good football (which they won). It was interesting as they played good football, despite not playing a traditional no.9. From memory Antony Gordon and Cole Palmer played up front and the forward line was quite fluid system. Angel Gomes was also the deepest midfielder, which I think for typical England sides at many age groups would have been considered a risk.
6 games
6 wins
0 losses
11 scored
0 conceded

In their Euros win too

Surely you need a manager with a track record of winning trophies/getting a team over the top. The names mentioned like Potter and Howe have proven to be good at building up teams, but Southgate has already done that with this England team. You guys have to throw everything at Klopp or Tuchel or someone like that.

Ancelloti, Klopp, Mourinho - although none of them are going to accept the offer.

The media will never allow a foreign coach. You can thank Neville/Carra and the like for that.
I think Klopp and Poch wouldn't be viewed as outsiders. Tuchel probably so but even then, I don't think there would be big uproar if he was appointed. Go and appoint someone that has never worked in England (and isn't respected) or can't speak English well and there will be question marks on a foreign appointment but I don't think people are clamouring for any of Potter, Carsley or Howe.

1207012_1.jpg

Poch would be an insanely bad decision. A bloke who doesn't want to win trophies has no place in management of any side.
Tbf I don't blame him too much for the league Cup final, we created more than enough to win that day and Spurs well, even Conte couldn't eek out a trophy there.

The main problem with Poch is the game has left him behind every bit as much as it has Mou and did Wenger, it just doesn't get the same attention because he wasn't THAT good in the first place.

Klopp. I'd also be happy to chant the one Liverpool fans came up with for him.

Jürgen Klopp, la la la la la

Howe (if he's willing to leave a good gig at Newcastle) and Potter are the obvious two candidates if the FA is hell bent on hiring and English manager. After that, I don't know who you'd go to. There's a group of former great players that have become subpar managers that you may roll the dice with. Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney or Carrick?? I just saw that Tom Cleverly is now the manager of Watford. I know Jack Wilshere is said to be doing great things with the Arsenal U 18s.

1) Best candidate is Klopp but not realistic.

2) Second is Tuchel. Play attacking football and got excellent records in knockout tournaments.

3) If it has to be English then Potter is the best available.

2) Second is Tuchel. Play attacking football and got excellent records in knockout tournaments.

Why is Klopp the best candidate?

He’s a great club manager but can he replicate that at international level. Same with Guardiola and Mourinho.

Klopps style of play would require lots of work and lots of effort to grt the players to understand their role in the team which a few weeks and a couple games at a time, MONTHS apart, simply will not work. I’d argue he’s one of the worst choices available.

Why is Klopp the best candidate?

He’s a great club manager but can he replicate that at international level. Same with Guardiola and Mourinho.

Klopps style of play would require lots of work and lots of effort to grt the players to understand their role in the team which a few weeks and a couple games at a time, MONTHS apart, simply will not work. I’d argue he’s one of the worst choices available.

England already have a wide pool of players capable of playing high intensity modern football. I believe he will be able to implement his style of play in international football too. Rangnick is able to implement gegenpressing with lesser players (no disrespect, IMO) in Austria.

Let's be honest with ourselves, we don't want Poch solely because of that twat @Amadaeus . Anyone but Potter. He's a turd chimney.

Klopp would be good if he's motivated, but I just don't see it after Liverpool and the fact that he's German. Guess it may be "racist" but I just can't see England fans and media being ok with it, same for Argentina as well. Spanish / Catalan is possible though I think.

Tuchel has major issues going on, no idea why people suggest him for big jobs still. He was dreadful at Bayern, totally fluked the title in first season thanks to an enormous choke by Dortmund. #

Agree on point 3. No idea why anyone would suggest Carsely, no club experience, no top flight experience. Yes England U21 are good, because we've got some of the best players around. Another vibes options who will lose against the first decent team every tournament.

Sure didn't Carsley turn down the Ireland job because he'd ben told he was next in line for England?

Klopp. Money talks, blank cheque for the next World Cup campaign to start of with.

No doubt he would be my top choice, however said he wants a year out of management. I also think the fact he condoned scouse booing of National Anthem scuppers any hopes.