Who succeeds Southgate as the next England manager? | Lee Carsley interim manager

Perfect appointment for me. I doubt he'd get the lucky draws of Southgate... Just once outplaying decent opposition, winning comfortably in knockout football, holding on to the ball whilst they chase shadows, would be enough for me.

No one can guarantee trophies, at least I'd enjoy watching England again.

Only problem is Delaney looks to be the sole source actually pushing this and he's not reliable

What is people's opinions on Lampard as a potential successor to Southgate? Do you think his experience and style would benefit the national team? I'm curious to hear peoples perspectives on this possibility.

Potter 100%. He's better than Southgate but still not good enough to win a trophy.

I must be in the anomaly - I’m very cautious, maybe a little cautious around Klopp/Pep - No one knows if their club manager capabilities will translate to international football, which is very different.

I’m not hugely confident it will work in all honesty, don’t get me wrong I’d be excited if either one of them got appointed, but I’d be very cautious and not surprised if we were setting ourselves up for disappointment with getting giddy over the appointment if either one were to get the job. They’re just as likely to fail as anyone lese

What is people's opinions on Lampard as a potential successor to Southgate? Do you think his experience and style would benefit the national team? I'm curious to hear peoples perspectives on this possibility.
It’s just a terrible idea. He’s failed twice now, he can’t install any sort of system, it’s just confusion and fragility.

We need to install a proven winner, we’ve had an average manager for the last 8 years with zero conviction, it’s time to appoint someone with clear progressive ideas that has a proven track record of getting their teams over the line.

I must be in the anomaly - I’m very cautious, maybe a little cautious around Klopp/Pep - No one knows if their club manager capabilities will translate to international football, which is very different.

I’m not hugely confident it will work in all honesty, don’t get me wrong I’d be excited if either one of them got appointed, but I’d be very cautious and not surprised if we were setting ourselves up for disappointment with getting giddy over the appointment if either one were to get the job. They’re just as likely to fail as anyone lese

I wouldn't worry as neither will be appointed

It’s just a terrible idea. He’s failed twice now, he can’t install any sort of system, it’s just confusion and fragility.

We need to install a proven winner, we’ve had an average manager for the last 8 years with zero conviction, it’s time to appoint someone with clear progressive ideas that has a proven track record of getting their teams over the line.
Capello and Erikson were both proven winners when they took on the England job, but neither achieved success with the national team. Do you think the potential candidates like Potter, Eddie Howe and Carsley meet the criteria of being 'proven winners'? Tuchel and Klopp are currently available and have a track record of success. Do you think they are more suitable replacements for Southgate?

No way. He’s already had two failed gigs as a manager, the pressure of the English job isn’t likely to make him fair any better. I feel like Lampard’s only gotten gigs off of his reputation as a player anyway. He really hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s cut out for managing at the highest level.

It's a sign of illness for anyone to turn their nose up at Pep, obviously won't happen, but still.

Lampard, obviously not.

Jose, it's about 10 years too late, it just wouldn't work with the modern players we have. He's just not a good fit. Going from a great man manager in Southgate to him would be mad.

It's a sign of illness for anyone to turn their nose up at Pep, obviously won't happen, but still.

Lampard, obviously not.

Jose, it's about 10 years too late, it just wouldn't work with the modern players we have. He's just not a good fit. Going from a great man manager in Southgate to him would be mad.
How important is it really though for a national team coach to be a great man manager? They're with the squad so much less than a club manager is, and honestly, of all the positions in coaching, national team coach is the one that is most results driven. Besides that, you’re not going to get a great man manager + great manager at winning knockout competitions because those few people are going to be at top club jobs already.

Pretty quiet about this situation......currently no rumours.

The next match is in four weeks.

Pretty quiet about this situation......currently no rumours.

The next match is in four weeks.
Suspect it'll be an interim for the first two matches, then a permanent manager in place for the October matches. Interim will most likely be Lee Carsley, then maybe he gets it permanently if those matches go well. Not sure how long Potter keeps getting paid by Chelsea, think he'd be the preferred option but he'd be mad to give up the millions they're paying him to do it now, when he could just wait it out. Howe gets paid a lot more at Newcastle than he'd get for England too, so doubt he'd choose to leave Newcastle either. I know there's more to the England job than money, but these two are getting paid millions that I can't see them giving up.

Lampard, obviously not.

Not to say I wouldn't take Pep but he's literally only managed club teams in such advantageous positions over their competitors that they'd have won trophies regardless of who the manager is.

England aren't a team who would win trophies regardless of who the manager is.

I mean I don't really know what point I'm making here as I can't think of anyone I'd take over him if it was as simple as choosing whoever you want, but I still don't think he guarantees success, and the bar with someone like him would be win the world cup or be a failure.

Potter seems the likely choice to me. England need someone with a more coaching background and more tactical awareness. Especially as a lot of the players are coached at club level by the likes of Pep, Arteta, Klopp, etc. so would probably thrive more off tactical discipline/playing in a system where they all know their jobs. Particularly thinking of the likes of Foden and Rice who look lost in an England shirt yet are vital parts of very good teams at club level.

It will be Carsley as an "interim" appointment and the FA will be hoping they do another "Southgate" where the cheap interim guy has a few good games and builds a positive relationship with sceptical fans and media.

If he screws it up they will "pay more" for Potter but only if they are forced to stump up the cash. God forbid they seek out a proven winner of international tournaments and pay whatever is needed to get them in post - that would be madness! (Meanwhile Sarina Weigman sit's polishing her trophy collection).

It will be Carsley as an "interim" appointment and the FA will be hoping they do another "Southgate" where the cheap interim guy has a few good games and builds a positive relationship with sceptical fans and media.

If he screws it up they will "pay more" for Potter but only if they are forced to stump up the cash. God forbid they seek out a proven winner of international tournaments and pay whatever is needed to get them in post - that would be madness! (Meanwhile Sarina Weigman sit's polishing her trophy collection).
This is pretty much what we thought we were doing with Sven and Capello and the first was disappointing, the latter was a total failure, so it's not like throwing money around has a good track record. The closest to success did indeed come by the strategy you are understandably sceptical of.

Who would you like? I'm not sure who the obvious Weigman-esque appointment would be in the men's game currently.

This is pretty much what we thought we were doing with Sven and Capello and the first was disappointing, the latter was a total failure, so it's not like throwing money around has a good track record. The closest to success did indeed come by the strategy you are understandably sceptical of.

Who would you like? I'm not sure who the obvious Weigman-esque appointment would be in the men's game currently.

Capello had a 67% win rate. Better than Southgate.

He took over a team that had failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

He got done with the Lampard "goal" in 2010 at 2 -1 down v a very good Germany side. No lucky draw for him.

Undefeated Euro 2012 qualifying campaign. Resigned over FA interfering with Terry.

Was a very good England manager. Not a spineless yes man, for sure.

Players didn't like him as very strict. That's what England need imo.

He got done with the Lampard "goal" in 2010 at 2 -1 down v a very good Germany side. No lucky draw for him.

Undefeated Euro 2012 qualifying campaign. Resigned over FA interfering with Terry.

He did feck all with an extremely strong group.

To the shock of noone its Carsely as an 'interim'.

He will win 2 or so meaningless games and will be the boss full time. And on it continues.

Wonder if Will Still might be in the reckoning in the future? Might even have gone for it this summer if he hadn't just signed for Lens.

Young, progressive manager, not English but sort of English if that's a thing they wanted.

Inexperienced but so is Carsley who has managed more England U21 games than he ever has men's senior teams. Carsley on 29 U21, 2 U20 games so familiar with the England set up and network, but only 24 senior club games, all in the Championship. Still has 65 Ligue 1 games behind him plus 15 more from Belgium's top division, 9 in the 2nd tier. Would have been interesting to see how the powers that be would have weighed that up in terms of who was most qualified.

Last edited:

Sorry on what planet was he a very good England manager?

He'd lost the plot by then remember his index etc?

They players hated him. Was never going to work never mind his dinosaur approach tactically.

Could be a good appointment if he's strong enough to play those who suit the brand of football he wants.

He did feck all with an extremely strong group.
I don't think it was that strong. Nearly all the big names bar Terry and Cole were on a downward curve at that point, and even they were soon declining too. Rooney went into it injured despite having his best ever club season, it would be almost another year before he regained form after his Bayern injury. Against Germany you had Defoe, Johnson, Upson, Gareth Barry in the starting XI - decent players sure but nothing great, and when they needed a spark they brought on a finished Joe Cole and SWP + Heskey (enough said). 08 was a better squad, had less players on the decline.

Yeah, I've only heard good things about his style.

Which is quite funny given the type of player Lee Carsley was.

In a slightly different timeline Aidy Boothroyd might now be England manager. Left the U21 setup on his own accord which is how Carsley came in. Never won anything as substantial as Euro u21 like Carsley, just the Toulon tournament but who knows what he'd have done with the same players. Wonder if he's thinking that now? He's struggled to find work since.

Carsley is an interesting he tends to play a style very similar to Peps first City team with Sane and Sterling on the wings and a similar 2 10's ahead of a 6. He had City u18's looking like the first team. Whether he can translate his talents from underage to senior level will be interesting to see.

He had quite a good team at that level with City. Foden, Sancho, Muric, Frimpong, Brahim Diaz, Nmecha x 2,. A lot of those players came on leaps and bounds under him. averaged over 3 goals per game and only lost once.

Carsley is an interesting he tends to play a style very similar to Peps first City team with Sane and Sterling on the wings and a similar 2 10's ahead of a 6. He had City u18's looking like the first team. Whether he can translate his talents from underage to senior level will be interesting to see.

He had quite a good team at that level with City. Foden, Sancho, Muric, Frimpong, Brahim Diaz, Nmecha x 2,. A lot of those players came on leaps and bounds under him. averaged over 3 goals per game and only lost once.

Yeah it's whether it can translate to senior team

Lee Carsley appointed interim manager New
Carsley appointed as interim manager. He'll get an opportunity to trial out for the main job.

Are you suggesting she takes over as England manager?