Who succeeds Southgate as the next England manager? | Lee Carsley interim manager

Can any Brighton fan on here confirm whether Potter is even more defensive than Safegate, also need someone to convince me Carsley is capable of transitioning from winning U23 tournament to senior level too because it's huge step up.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a non English manager & go for a real big name.

I know they have jobs but for example - someone like Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel etc.

I have no idea why the FA never try for these type of managers. Is it because they cant afford their wages?

If its British i'd order
  1. Eddie Howe
  2. Potter
  3. Brendan Rodgers
  4. David Moyes

Moyes :lol::lol::lol:

Moyes should be nowhere near such a list even if you order the 20 most preferable options...

I don't even mind a coach being defensive. A plan that's well executed would be an improvement over this Euro.

Can any Brighton fan on here confirm whether Potter is even more defensive than Safegate, also need someone to convince me Carsley is capable of transitioning from winning U23 tournament to senior level too because it's huge step up.

Potters not defensive. But his teams so far have struggled to score goals. De Zerbi came in and instantly made them a better scoring team.

Who in their right mind would want the job? If you don't actually win the World Cup, you are considered a failure.

I feel like with the group of players available, Eddie Howe is the perfect candidate if sticking with English coaches.

Poch is also are good shout.

I think Potter, there must be a reason he's been turning down jobs.

If England were to go the non English route, Tuchel would be a good appointment I think.

He knows how to win cups, he’s had success with a reasonable amount of the English players in the past. The limiting factor would be if he’s willing to be just an international manager.

Klopp or tuchel may be better. Have to win tournaments like nations league, euro and world cup only will be considered better achievements than what Southgate did. So it's tough shoes to fill in. :lol: .

If England were to go the non English route, Tuchel would be a good appointment I think.

He knows how to win cups, he’s had success with a reasonable amount of the English players in the past. The limiting factor would be if he’s willing to be just an international manager.

another defensive minded coach though

I think Howe and Potter will be the FA's top choices.

I don't think Howe will leave Newcastle yet, so it will end up being Potter.

Kjetil Knutsen - The natural choice

images

I think Howe and Potter will be the FA's top choices.

I don't think Howe will leave Newcastle yet, so it will end up being Potter.

Either would be so underwhelming.

I've previously thought that the England manager should be English but there just are not any English managers with a remotely sufficient CV.

I'd love to see Sarina Wiegman or Emma Hayes get the job, just to see the complete meltdown of Joey Barton and the like!

Who in their right mind would want the job? If you don't actually win the World Cup, you are considered a failure.
Frankly, anyone who doesn't want to have a go with this squad shouldn't be a football manager.

England have a phenomenally talented squad. If you don't back yourself as a manager to do well with them then you're in the wrong job.

another defensive minded coach though

Tuchel is defense minded the same way Guardiola is. He puts lots of emphasis on tactical structure and cohesiveness. Pretty much the opposite to Southgate in the sense that he will rather overcomplicate his decisions.

I've previously thought that the England manager should be English but there just are not any English managers with a remotely sufficient CV.

Yeah Potter looked way out of his depth at Chelsea. I think he's more in the Moyes, Hodgson category of manager that will do a decent job at mid tier teams, but isn't cut out for the very top level.

One name that I haven't really seen mentioned that could do a good job is Brendan Rodgers.

Plays attacking football, has won stuff at club level, would definitely take the job if offered.

His stock may have fallen in recent years, but I think he'd be a better bet than Potter.

CVs for international managers are generally not that glowing.

de la Fuente's managerial highs were youth tournaments with Spain, same for Scaloni with Argentina.

Then you've got the Deschamps/Mancini types who were well past their best at club level.

Obvious choices.

Howe, Potter, maybe even Carsley.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went for Poch.

Thinking outside the box.

Rob Edwards, Gary O'Neill or Marco Silva.

Gary Neville mentioned this on stick to football, basically said once you're done as England coach, you're prettt much finished. It's not just you're career after the job, but you're whole professional and personal life can be ruined by failure with England. I would say the media have a lot to do with it, l can't imagine too many people look at it and think it's worth the hassle.

Potter if they have to be English, Pep if not. Can wait till end of season for the latter. Can't see Howe taking the job, yet.

Potter did well with us given the circumstances, 40 player squad without goal scorers and especially did ok in the CL.

He's the only available English manager who knows how to coach modern football. Brighton dominated the xG but didn't have the forwards to convert chances. England won't have that problem with the attackers available.

I think he could get England playing well enough to actually beat a decent side in tournament football. The luck Southgate got with the draws etc though probably can't be copied.

I think it will probably be between Potter and Carsley. I would be fine with either to be honest.

On some of the other candidates:
Howe: I don't think he will leave Newcastle now, so he's probably a future candidate after the next manager
Poch: I think he'll be considered but I don't think he has a 'winning mentality' to take him over and above someone like Potter, who is English
Tuchel: I think he'll also be considered but the FA might not consider him a good fit, they might feel like he is too abrasive of a character. I do think he would be fine with players and at the international level, it's surely more difficult for him to fall out with the suits
Klopp: I think he'd probably the no.1 choice and could be possible but I doubt he will be interested. You could conceivably allow Klopp to continue his break, leave Southgate to see out his contract until December (or appoint Carsley on an interim basis) and then have Klopp start in the new year.
Pep: Timing is bad, Pep wouldn't agree to joining England after this season and the FA won't be waiting around for a decision. I think it's possible that Pep takes a new job after the 2026 World Cup and if it's an international job, I think his preference would be Spain, Brazil and England (in that order).