Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just keep ten hag and get some stability in with that for the short term, whatever. The squad is with him, he's good for development of players, there's no way he sticks with the same tactical plan next season anyway

How about Iraola? I haven't seen him mentioned in the press.

Iraola really impressed me last season once he got Bournemouth going. Perhaps one season is not enough top level experience to justify canning ETH ?

Slim pickings out there at the moment. Perhaps it makes sense to stick with ETH this year while keeping an eye out for any potential successors.

How about Iraola? I haven't seen him mentioned in the press.

Iraola really impressed me last season once he got Bournemouth going. Perhaps one season is not enough top level experience to justify canning ETH ?

Slim pickings out there at the moment. Perhaps it makes sense to stick with ETH this year while keeping an eye out for any potential successors.
Signed a new contract recently. I know that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but pretty unlikely at this stage.

Everything since the cup final has me thinking it'll be a wait and see year. The up and coming managers have either signed elsewhere, signed new contracts or need a bit more experience. Tuchel now ruled out, not sensed any real enthusiasm for Poch or de Zerbi, Frank would be pointless. Southgate I'm pretty sure is just a collective breakdown among United fans that the press are only too happy to indulge for clicks.

I get the "sounding out" thing but the main man (Sir Jim) actually meeting a potential replacement seems a bit more than that.
Yeah maybe, but with no Ashworth or Berrada in place, I can see Jim being involved. By all accounts, his Ineos model is he’s involved in top appointments then he lets them get on with stuff/lower level management appts.

If I was chucking hundreds of millions of my money in, and knew United were at a crossroads (again), I’d definitely want to be directly involved and “see the white of their eyes”.

I just had a look at Brighton's results from the season just gone and they won 3-1 at Old Trafford then went to Villa Park and lost 6-1, we were the only big 6 club they beat away as well.
Brightons squad in 23/24 was relegation standard. Low level PL players mixed with young potential. RDZ did well to keep them mid table while averaging xG underlying stats between 8th-10th.

Why do people keep pretending Southgate is in these conversations? Not a single respectable journalist has linked him in any half decent capacity.

Signed a new contract recently. I know that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but pretty unlikely at this stage.

Everything since the cup final has me thinking it'll be a wait and see year. The up and coming managers have either signed elsewhere, signed new contracts or need a bit more experience. Tuchel now ruled out, not sensed any real enthusiasm for Poch or de Zerbi, Frank would be pointless. Southgate I'm pretty sure is just a collective breakdown among United fans that the press are only too happy to indulge for clicks.
Ah, fair enough.

I think you're right, and I think that's the right move at this point.

Which club has he improved?
Brightons style of play improved considerably in 22/23. Scalps included dominating Arsenal at the Emirates, Chelsea at SB and Liverpool at Anfield.

After their squad was gutted in the summer of 2023 with minimal investment, he kept them in mid table while having a decent European cup run, beating teams like Marseille. RDZ did well to keep them mid table while averaging xG underlying stats between 8th-10th. Brighton fans did not want him to go. At all.

Dread It
Run From It
Destiny Still Arrives, All the same

Southgate is our destiny.

...imo...

Very concerning that they seem to be interested in a variety of managers (Southgate, Tuchel, RDZ, McKenna) who play very different styles of football. Wasn't the purpose of establishing a top-tier football structure to define a specific style of play and then hire a coach who fits that style?

Jesus lord. How many more are going to get ruled out today?!

Surely we’re finally nearing a decision and/or announcement

Or the press don't have a clue. And are just ruling out stuff that no-one ever said was a possibility bar them.

I had Tuchel and De Zerbi down as new manager prospects but that was a while ago and expected one of them to be announced around a week after the FA Cup.

De Zerbi was supposedly in a new job with maximum secrecy. If it was to an Italian club we'd know by now surely? Could be still us or City but if this De Zerbi deal is already done by the end of season does that tally with ETH still not sure and talks with Tuchel, even if this is weeks behind news coming out. I feel we'd know via ETH/reporters.

Southgate not mentioned in this article either.

RDZ for me, he's the only one potentially can be better than EtH out of the names, even with a underwhelming track record. And even then I'm scraping...

the rest you're having a laugh compared to EtH

This is looking messy.
Not a good look really.

Pretty harsh on ten hag as well being left to hang dry like this, no matter your opinions on his performance I don't think he really deserves this.

Oliver Kay makes a great point which seems obvious but I haven’t seen pointed out before… these candidates which we’re speaking to are all completely different in style - that is worrying and suggests a lack of clear vision from INEOS

Woody was (rightly) criticised for lurching from Moyes to Van Gaal to Mourinho and so on… managers all with totally different styles leading to a horrendously mismatched squad…

The fact INEOS think a list of managers as varied as this can all be potential successors to Ten Hag is worrying.

I won’t use the word frauds but I do get the sense of a bunch who are playing big at a game they don’t really understand, and who aren’t of blowing their own trumpet while doing so - so you can add arrogance into the mix as well.

My main hope is it’s all press lies but there’s too much noise for it to all be made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.