Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The potential candidates and / or replacements are really meh. I dont see any obvious, he will take us to the next level, type.
When LVG went, we could say, Jose for sure (despite him being sacked earlier by Chelsea). I dont see many 'winners' out there.

The most persistent manager linked is Southgate. So let's start looking at the positives of that appointment...

... You start..

Pochettino is a better manager than ETH and also less controversial. It’s a very big improvement if you want to start a new project with players on side.

Pochettino most definitely isn't a better manager than Ten Hag. He is a serial bottler with a loser mentality. Ten Hag at least managed to win some of the finals he reached. The only time I'd take him is if the only other alternative is Southgate, God forbid. But I'd rather keep the Dutchman for another season than have any of those two and Potter.

Yeah let's hire any of the dozen managers who schooled Hag then?
If you listen to Barca fans, they will mention the same flaws with Xavi’s football as ours. Too end to end. Poor rest defence. Not enough control.

They had about 60% possession in both games. I thought they were the better team at Old Trafford.

Not that I want Xavi. He'd be way down my list.
I never felt they were threatening. They had 4 big chances and scored 3 goals. Most of their chances came from brainfarts of our own players giving the ball away in our penalty area. We could also have scored 2-3 more goals ourselves.

All in all it was a very good tie in which clearly we were the better team.

Why are we keep being linked with Southgate? You didn't him being linked with Liverpool or Chelsea.

If you listen to Barca fans, they will mention the same flaws with Xavi’s football as ours. Too end to end. Poor rest defence. Not enough control.
I wasn't talking about hiring Xavi. Just replying to the absurd post that was made.

The most persistent manager linked is Southgate. So let's start looking at the positives of that appointment...

... You start..

He might pick a midfield, and not crater the season from day 1 with an idiotic system.

Should be among the most basic things you can expect from a manger but hey.

They'll be reviewing their internal discussion about Tuchel next week.

Unless INEOS can get us Guardiola/Klopp/Ancelotti/Alonso/Zidane, they should keep ETH untill next summer.

Unless INEOS can get us Guardiola/Klopp/Ancelotti/Alonso/Zidane, they should keep ETH untill next summer.
I hope they aren't as unimaginative and narrow minded as the casual football fan.

As if those five are the only managers in world football who are viable choices.

This is a bit of a left field option and I’ve only seen us linked by a bullshit source but what do people think about Dortmund’s manager Edin Terzić? Potentially good appointment or disaster waiting to happen?

I don't think we're finding our long term manager in this next appointment and the club probably think this too. If Ten Hag has to go then the only two I'd have interest in are Tuchel and De Zerbi.

Tuchel:
Pros - Good coach, players seem to love him, won trophies, knows how to solidify a team, prefers to work in as part of a wider structure
Cons - Fallen out with every club he's been at (although PSG and Chelsea don't surprise anyone in that regard), football can be quite boring

De Zerbi:
Pros - Plays breath taking football, improves players, sets the future of the squad up stylistically as an attacking possession based team
Cons - Falls out with ownership, has taken some beatings this year, can't handle an injury crisis (that being said his best players were sold out from under him AND then he also had major injuries to the remaining best players)

They all do. Until it's time to take the United job, and then all of the sudden they're not good enough.

Pardon my skepticism, but when a coach is having a tough time keeping in a check a group of past it stars at Arsenal and is expected to come in and curb the player power at our club?. You probably understand why I'm not filled with confidence.

He strikes me more like Moyes or Poch: very good with midtable clubs, but once they make the step up, they look out of depth.
Fully understand the concern here.

There is a shortage of good managers at this point that any manager who has a good season or two looks attractive.

The reason I would go for him is that he seem to have struck a system that is effective in the league, he has improved individual players, his record against the top 6 isn’t too bad.

This is now pointless after signing a new deal

You start..

I suppose he would do the background things well, like working as a team with the technical staff INEOS is assembling. And leverage any systems they put together.

This is a bit of a left field option and I’ve only seen us linked by a bullshit source but what do people think about Dortmund’s manager Edin Terzić? Potentially good appointment or disaster waiting to happen?
Disaster. Was close to being sacked for playing in a totally uninspired way and was responsible for a (wrong) turn Dortmund's recruitment took. Getting players like Sancho and Maatsen on loan in the winter was a desperate try to fix those mistakes, as well as getting Bender and Sahin in as new assistant managers.

Reaching the CL final steadied the ship for him and saved his job, but during the winter there was a strong feeling that Sahin was signed as his "crown prince" to replace him if he doesn't turn it around (which he arguably still didn't in the league, but the CL performances ensured CL qualification again so that is somewhat glossed over now).

Disaster. Was close to being sacked for playing in a totally uninspired way and was responsible for a (wrong) turn Dortmund's recruitment took. Getting players like Sancho and Maatsen on loan in the winter was a desperate try to fix those mistakes, as well as getting Bender and Sahin in as new assistant managers.

Reaching the CL final steadied the ship for him and saved his job, but during the winter there was a strong feeling that Sahin was signed as his "crown prince" to replace him if he doesn't turn it around (which he arguably still didn't in the league, but the CL performances ensured CL qualification again so that is somewhat glossed over now).

Sounds like he corrected his mistakes within a season and reached CL final playing better football than RM which was coached by a certain Ancelotti and spend much more than Dortmund. Just saying.

Sounds like he corrected his mistakes within a season and reached CL final playing better football than RM which was coached by a certain Ancelotti and spend much more than Dortmund. Just saying.
It's funny but arguably the CL final was the only match in their entire season where Dortmund looked like a team able to properly dominate matches against inferior teams. Everything before that was horrible to watch. Terzic is quite good at being an underdog manager I think, but he arguably has no place in a top team.

The CL final was an odd exception to that, but I think Dortmund really surprised Madrid by having a go at it, I'm quite sure Ancelotti expected Dortmund to sit back more and that lead to that.

The problem with Terzic and "fixing his mistakes" is that it's the second time in a row the season went like this - last season they also did not have a great start, had to change during the season to a more possession based dominant style, and then in the summer just reset to how they started last season. Making the same mistakes two season in a row doesn't look good.

While there are plenty of candidates with longer CVs than him, I don't think appointing Edin Terzic has any real indication of causing a disaster.
He has a decent record with Dortmund, experience with young players, and had a taste of the Premier League (with West Ham as an assistant).
Sacking Ten Hag is not urgent, IMO, but if INEOS wants to start anew with young manager, he is one of the best option right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.