Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oliver Kay went in pretty hard in that Athletic article.

Lost as many games as us and didn't win the FA Cup. Boom!
Can you really just pretend like Brighton should be on the same level as us. They sold key players and didn't replace them and had to play extra games this season. They made a significant profit though based on selling players which is probably their owners priority

The biggest worry for me is it reads as though INEOS want a very good coach who will not challenge them. These two features are mutually exclusive - coaches worth their salt will push the higher ups to show ambition. Just keep what you have and monitor how he goes, Tuchel and Poch aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The transfer business won't really change irrespective of the coach.

Don’t like the way this has been handled. ETH’s future should have been decided by now. Yet we are hearing about meetings between Ratcliffe and Tuchel of which it has become apparent that no deal has been struck as neither side particularly fancy each other. It feels like INEOS lack the control over the situation and don’t know what to do.

At this stage, I think I would just stick with ETH. It’s the easier decision to make at this point if you can’t make your mind up and it allows us to move on with other important issues such as the transfer market.

What happend to Amorim?

There was a lot of talk of him going to a few clubs towards the end of the season but thats all gone very quiet.

What happend to Amorim?

There was a lot of talk of him going to a few clubs towards the end of the season but thats all gone very quiet.
He announced he's staying at Sporting.

I don't believe Tuchel turned us down. He's not said previously that he's taking a break, and probably would have explained this weeks ago when we supposedly started talking to him. Which leads me to think he's not first choice, as other articles have suggested. Falk, I believe, also broke the news first, and he didn't mention that Tuchel wants a break from football. Nobody has until these talks today. So I'm thinking he knows he has no options if we go elsewhere and therefore is taking a break whether he likes it or not.

What happend to Amorim?

Liverpool agreed a deal for him to be their new manager but he changed his mind because he wanted to stay at Sporting.

Oliver Kay makes a great point which seems obvious but I haven’t seen pointed out before… these candidates which we’re speaking to are all completely different in style - that is worrying and suggests a lack of clear vision from INEOS

Woody was (rightly) criticised for lurching from Moyes to Van Gaal to Mourinho and so on… managers all with totally different styles leading to a horrendously mismatched squad…

The fact INEOS think a list of managers as varied as this can all be potential successors to Ten Hag is worrying.

I won’t use the word frauds but I do get the sense of a bunch who are playing big at a game they don’t really understand, and who aren’t of blowing their own trumpet while doing so - so you can add arrogance into the mix as well.

My main hope is it’s all press lies but there’s too much noise for it to all be made up.
The most obvious answer is that, given Berrada and Ashworth haven't arrived yet, it hasn't really been settled on. The thing all the names have in common is experience in English football, so it feels like it would be a safety first pick whilst the structure settles around them, assessing other options in the meantime. Should've been decided weeks ago, though.

I don't believe Tuchel turned us down. He's not said previously that he's taking a break, and probably would have explained this weeks ago when we supposedly started talking to him. Which leads me to think he's not first choice, as other articles have suggested. Falk, I believe, also broke the news first, and he didn't mention that Tuchel wants a break from football. Nobody has until these talks today. So I'm thinking he knows he has no options if we go elsewhere and therefore is taking a break whether he likes it or not.
Agreed. I think the likelihood is, he fluffed the interview for whatever reason.

The most obvious answer is that, given Berrada and Ashworth haven't arrived yet, it hasn't really been settled on. The thing all the names have in common is experience in English football, so it feels like it would be a safety first pick whilst the structure settles around them, assessing other options in the meantime. Should've been decided weeks ago, though.
Well, to be honest, I don't see how that can be the case. Surely part of the interview process was the vision for the club going forward? What sort of style would you look to implement in your role (obviously not Berrada, but Ashworth). I am starting to think Southgate is actually their first choice.

I had Tuchel and De Zerbi down as new manager prospects but that was a while ago and expected one of them to be announced around a week after the FA Cup.

De Zerbi was supposedly in a new job with maximum secrecy. If it was to an Italian club we'd know by now surely? Could be still us or City but if this De Zerbi deal is already done by the end of season does that tally with ETH still not sure and talks with Tuchel, even if this is weeks behind news coming out. I feel we'd know via ETH/reporters.
De Zerbi will replace Guardiola at City in 2025 imho..thats why his buy out is in secret. He has one year now to prepare himself for the job.

I'm still confident it won't be Southgate. Media just love winding our fans up and we lap it up every time.
Spot on.

In my view it's clear he's not one of the finalists. It came down to Tuchel, Poch, Frank and De Zerbi. Two remaining if Jason Burt's report on Poch is to be believed.

I'm still confident it won't be Southgate. Media just love winding our fans up and we lap it up every time.
Ya I’m also of the opinion there is absolutely no interest in Southgate . Someone remembered Ashworth and Southgate worked together and knew it would draw attention

Well, to be honest, I don't see how that can be the case. Surely part of the interview process was the vision for the club going forward? What sort of style would you look to implement in your role (obviously not Berrada, but Ashworth). I am starting to think Southgate is actually their first choice.
It certainly seems like it’s down to Poch or Southgate at the very least… unless they REALLY just want to make ETH understand how on the hot seat he is by humiliating him for more than a month with this review.

This seems an especially odd amount of time to spend on the decision if Southgate and the Euros weren’t at least a factor though.

Last edited:
Brexit "the country was designed for less people" Jim Ratcliffe wants his Brexit manager Southgate. :nervous:

Never thought we may get a dumber owner than the Glazers, but we have to ask those questions now.

It certainly seems like it’s down to Poch or Southgate at the very least… unless they REALLY just want to make ETH understand how on the hot seat he is by humiliating him for more than a month with this review.

This seems an especially odd amount of time to spend on the decision if Southgate and the Euros weren’t at least a factor though.
It certainly seems very strung out to keep him within the running, otherwise surely you move forward with the candidates available now?

I think the Ashworth links to Southgate also seem to align to him being a favoured candidate.

I'm just struggling to get my head round why there's been no movement.

Oliver Kay makes a great point which seems obvious but I haven’t seen pointed out before… these candidates which we’re speaking to are all completely different in style - that is worrying and suggests a lack of clear vision from INEOS

Woody was (rightly) criticised for lurching from Moyes to Van Gaal to Mourinho and so on… managers all with totally different styles leading to a horrendously mismatched squad…

The fact INEOS think a list of managers as varied as this can all be potential successors to Ten Hag is worrying.

I won’t use the word frauds but I do get the sense of a bunch who are playing big at a game they don’t really understand, and who aren’t of blowing their own trumpet while doing so - so you can add arrogance into the mix as well.

My main hope is it’s all press lies but there’s too much noise for it to all be made up.
I'm not sure that's completely fair.

In terms of style, the profile of manager we'd presumably be looking for would be one who values possession, playing out from the back, pressing, high defensive line and a committent to scoring a lot of goals through attacking intent.

De Zerbi, Poch and Tuchel all fit the bill to varying degrees. You're never going to get multiple managerial clones of each other. Some managers are more pragmatic than others.

If we were talking to say Allegri and Conte on top of the other managers, then that would be an example of managers who have widely different styles.

If we're genuinely interested in Southgate then God knows, that's a damning indictment of the decision makers as there's absolutely nothing about him that would make him a good candidate.

It's gonna be Southgate and I can't wait.
It certainly seems very strung out to keep him within the running, otherwise surely you move forward with the candidates available now?

I think the Ashworth links to Southgate also seem to align to him being a favoured candidate.

I'm just struggling to get my head round why there's been no movement.
If they've spoken with him a few weeks ago, there is no need to meet again, especially as he's busy with England.

My only comfort with the Southgate rumours is I don't think it will even work with the timing.

Southgate is almost certainly not going to agree to join us in the next few days as he has a tournament to prepare for and he doesn't want the team distracted by stories of him joining United. So the soonest he could sit down and agree a deal with us would be in around 5 weeks time realistically. I don't see any circumstances in which we keep Ten Hag for the next 5 weeks, and then sack him. We can't and won't drag it on until after the Euros.

Neither can I see a scenario where we sack Ten Hag this week despite not having a deal in place with a new manager, and then hope in 5 weeks time the talks with Southgate go well.

Having said that, if Southgate really was the man they want, they'd probably find a way to make it happen. But I also think they'd likely not be stupid enough to make themselves massively unpopular with our fanbase in their first summer at the club

Spot on.

In my view it's clear he's not one of the finalists. It came down to Tuchel, Poch, Frank and De Zerbi. Two remaining if Jason Burt's report on Poch is to be believed.
There's also a very good chance they opt to just keep Ten Hag at this point.

We don't know why Tuchel or Poch have been ruled out after speaking to them, but needless to say there must have been some disagreement/skepticism on the part either the club, or Poch/Tuchel, or both. The same could easily happen with De Zerbi and Frank, that the talks don't go well enough to convince the club to pull the trigger and they conclude it's worth given ETH another shot (or De Zerbi/Frank themselves turn us down).

You'd also think Frank is likely bottom of the list and how far down the list do the club realistically want to go before they conclude they're just replacing Ten Hag for the sake of replacing him, rather than believing they've actually found an upgrade who will bring the club back to the glory days..

De Zerbi for me. His Brighton team was taken apart and still managed a respectable league position, he’s one of those managers I think will step up a notch when his players are on a higher level. Look how Arteta performed when his Arsenal team weren’t up to his technical standards.

Not sure how people can write off De Zerbi for a drop in league position then push for Frank after finishing 16th. He’s arguably a more adaptable manager but surely that’s not what we want to head towards.

Why would Ratcliffe be the person interviewing managers? Based on what expertise?
Surely you'd expect Wilcox to be best placed, considering the other players are still out gardening?

I don’t get it. Why Chelsea can consider coaches like Sebastian Hoeneß and we are not.

Why would Ratcliffe be the person interviewing managers? Based on what expertise?
Surely you'd expect Wilcox to be best placed, considering the other players are still out gardening?
I doubt that was the only discussion that took place between United and Tuchel.

Good morning all, as predicted and as we have come to expect, its approaching mid june and its raining.

My opinion?

No news today, crack on.

Liverpool agreed a deal for him to be their new manager but he changed his mind because he wanted to stay at Sporting.

I thought it was to do with his €20m release clause and Liverpool unable to negotiate on a fee?

I’d be really excited if Amorim was chosen to be our next manager but it’s a shame he’s agreed to that release clause because in this PSR-focused world that makes it close to a non-starter for us.

All this Amorim hype reminds me of Vilas Boas. But yeah he could also be a Mourinho.

Where is any proof meetings took place? Media are just guessing and click baiting. The fella has a contract if no news comes from United regarding his future it means he still has a job there is no need to come out after season to confirming it

So Tuchel was more of a 'I'll reject you, so you can't reject me' kinda deal?
Think he was clearly rejected but obviously it doesn't reflect well. No shame in twisting the picture through his mouthpiece.

I agree Ratcliffe doesn't need to be involved and in fact shouldn't be involved, however, he has a history of sticking is oar in where it isn't welcome at the clubs he (part)owns:

Revealed: How hopeful Man Utd owner Jim Ratcliffe meddled in Nice team selection and urged coach to pick Aaron Ramsey and Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.