Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t matter. Yes, the players and the managers should be doing better; but under this ownership, this structure, the club will always flounder.

Two weeks ago I decided to take a break from football. I’ve supported United fervently since I was about 5. So nearly 40 years of hanging on every result. And it’s always had the power to make or break my week; but now, with work and having limited time with my daughter, I’m not ruining the few quality free moments I get; being pissed off because we were unnecessarily shit again.

It’s impossible to avoid the scores, but I don’t invest at all right now; and I’m so much happier for it. And I’m not going to again until I see the club sold. It’s the only thing that can change our direction. I cancelled all my subscriptions and I’ve stuck my time into other things. Happiest I’ve been in ages.

The club is fundamentally broken and all the debates about players, tactics, signings, managers etc are all pointless. The club is diseased by the Glazers and the people making strategic decisions, don’t know what they are doing.

Fecking quitter.

I genuinely wouldnt be upset with Michael Carrick.

I would be upset if we have to do this entire thing all over again.

It doesn’t matter. Yes, the players and the managers should be doing better; but under this ownership, this structure, the club will always flounder.

Two weeks ago I decided to take a break from football. I’ve supported United fervently since I was about 5. So nearly 40 years of hanging on every result. And it’s always had the power to make or break my week; but now, with work and having limited time with my daughter, I’m not ruining the few quality free moments I get; being pissed off because we were unnecessarily shit again.

It’s impossible to avoid the scores, but I don’t invest at all right now; and I’m so much happier for it. And I’m not going to again until I see the club sold. It’s the only thing that can change our direction. I cancelled all my subscriptions and I’ve stuck my time into other things. Happiest I’ve been in ages.

The club is fundamentally broken and all the debates about players, tactics, signings, managers etc are all pointless. The club is diseased by the Glazers and the people making strategic decisions, don’t know what they are doing.
Can't love this post enough, encompasses my emotional state at this moment. It's like what is the point in investing any emotional energy into this club while the parrasites are at at the healm. It's like if we do have any success it will just impact us negatively further down the line anyway. I like ETH, he gives off a great vibe but the poor guys been offered a poison chalice. I'll have a better judge of this manager when he has the right structure behind him like Pep has.
If you're calling for his head after a few games then cut the cord and go support the latest big thing!

We need a proper (insert title here). Someone who signs the players for a specific way of playing and bring the manager in for that. Arnold and Murtough wont be sacked under the leeches, so it would be clever of them to get some help. They obviously thought about this before as Rangnick would have been adviser last year and this.
Now TH can play possession on and pressing off the ball football. He did it at Ajax, and if he just was responsible for the coaching and every player bought in played this way, this would be a huge step forward. Even if for whatever reason TH was gone in a season or two, there would be a good platform of players already here to build on, provided the next manager was picked to play the same way.

I've felt like this since the moment "Manchester City" won their first title. The game is broken. Football has become a billionaire's plaything. I'll always care about the results to a degree but I've long since accepted that sporting merit and integrity in football is dead

Fecking quitter.

Not sure if you’re serious, but…I’ll answer anyway. Clearly my position resonated with several other posters, some of whom seem to be the same age and presumably have a lot of the same pressure on life.

The fact is, I can refer back to the ownership etc., but I covered that in my previous post. The bottom line for me is priorities. I can only love United. It’s all I know how to do with them. They’ve been the one regular fixture in my life since I was 5. Through thick and thin, and a childhood filled with abuse and trauma. They are the only connection I truly had and still have to my late father, who died when I was 20. They mean the world to me.

But, it’s a toxic relationship these days. It’s not the being bad that bothers me. It’s the parasitic vultures who have run them into the ground. Who keep taking my money and my time and my goodwill. And it doesn’t just affect me. I only get to spend significant time with my 8 year old daughter on Friday afternoon/evenings, Saturdays and Sundays. And when I’m in a foul mood because of another, hugely unnecessarily shit performance - without any real prospect of change - it makes spending that time with her nicely, all the more challenging.

As a single dad, I’m tired of telling her to entertain herself for two hours while I watch something that’s more than likely going to make me miserable and pissed off for the rest of the day. Pumping money into the coffers of these absolute parasites. This isn’t about sticking with the team through a difficult patch. Being there and done that for the last decade. This is about nothing ever, truly having the prospect of changing until the club is sold.

I’ve said it for a long time, and never acted on it. Not I’m acting on it. I’m prioritising family time, prioritising my own mental health; and I’m withdrawing my support for the club under its current ownership. And I’m all the happier for it.

As someone else said, when the game is also dominated by a club that is corrupt to its core, facing charges to the hilt, and nothing happens; what’s even the point?

Ten Hag is supposed to be a man who doesn't suffer fools but he's suffering plenty now.
While the opposition continues to work harder than our lot we will continue to lose a lot.
There is no excuse for any player not giving his best effort but this has been happening for far too long.
If Ten Hag doesn't give them the kick up the arse they deserve then hopefully a new manager will.
Perhaps time for an English manager. Not had one since big Ron who would at least get us playing with some style.

I am not suggesting to sack ETH now, but we should have a new manager ready in May if we finish below 6-8th place and see no progress playing-wise. Maybe sooner if things turn really bad and we find a good interim. The start to the season has been terrible on every level after a good first season by ETH. I will eat humble pie all summer if we finish top 4.

A new manager should be given at least 18-24 months to prove himself ie show continuous improvement. Ideally we have a new competent DoF at the same time.

Do you think we are closer to Arsenal and Liverpool this season?

So ETH at the end of the season will have had 24 months, which would be one successful season and one less so if we finish outside of the CL places (which is top 5 from now on I believe).

So by your logic, no poor seasons are allowed in building a team? Continuous improvement or you're gone?

I do think we're closer to Arsenal and Liverpool this season, as we're actually trying to play a more proactive style - we haven't mastered it yet, clearly, but it'll set us up much better in the long term rather than defaulting to the mid-block counter attacking football we were forced to play last season.

The current top managers didn’t necessarily have a wealth of prior successes; it has often revolved around shared values.

I’ve been trying to grasp Enrique’s accomplishments before he assumed the Barcelona role, especially considering the unique dynamics of their dressing room. Arsenal’s commitment to a particular style, dating back to Wenger, explains their patience with Arteta. While Klopp is an improvement, there are resemblances to Brendan Rodgers, and Liverpool fans were prepared for that.

It’s not accurate to assume that there are no capable managers available based solely on major trophies. I can’t be swayed by that spin. I didn’t have extensive knowledge of ETH’s track record before we pursued him, so I won’t provide a list of available managers; that’s not my responsibility.

Ten Hag seems to be my guy for reasons I can’t truly explain but he is sleepwalking to an exit.

Played horribly last season and nothing has changed. I don't see how things will get better under Ten Haag. The squad is build for counter attacking footie. Sancho is a world class baller. He only showed glimpses, but personally i can easily see him stepping it up. His link up play is much needed, imo.

Carrick plays that way and a has much lesser ego.

When United come calling, he'll answer. But i could be wrong, of course.
Have you watched Sancho play closely ..he is not good.. no pace, no acceleration..
He won't succeed in the PL

Not sure if you’re serious, but…I’ll answer anyway. Clearly my position resonated with several other posters, some of whom seem to be the same age and presumably have a lot of the same pressure on life.

The fact is, I can refer back to the ownership etc., but I covered that in my previous post. The bottom line for me is priorities. I can only love United. It’s all I know how to do with them. They’ve been the one regular fixture in my life since I was 5. Through thick and thin, and a childhood filled with abuse and trauma. They are the only connection I truly had and still have to my late father, who died when I was 20. They mean the world to me.

But, it’s a toxic relationship these days. It’s not the being bad that bothers me. It’s the parasitic vultures who have run them into the ground. Who keep taking my money and my time and my goodwill. And it doesn’t just affect me. I only get to spend significant time with my 8 year old daughter on Friday afternoon/evenings, Saturdays and Sundays. And when I’m in a foul mood because of another, hugely unnecessarily shit performance - without any real prospect of change - it makes spending that time with her nicely, all the more challenging.

As a single dad, I’m tired of telling her to entertain herself for two hours while I watch something that’s more than likely going to make me miserable and pissed off for the rest of the day. Pumping money into the coffers of these absolute parasites. This isn’t about sticking with the team through a difficult patch. Being there and done that for the last decade. This is about nothing ever, truly having the prospect of changing until the club is sold.

I’ve said it for a long time, and never acted on it. Not I’m acting on it. I’m prioritising family time, prioritising my own mental health; and I’m withdrawing my support for the club under its current ownership. And I’m all the happier for it.

As someone else said, when the game is also dominated by a club that is corrupt to its core, facing charges to the hilt, and nothing happens; what’s even the point?

Feck sake Simon, of course I was joking.

Seriously, love the way you worded it all, you've made a wise decision.

Family first, enjoy time spent with your daughter.

So by your logic, no poor seasons are allowed in building a team? Continuous improvement or you're gone?

A top cub has to subscribe to this. Credit in the bank is trophies, not talk.

We saw with van Gaal that a FA Cup was worth less than CL qualification, so that's ETH's mark if he wants to stay in the job as the EFL Cup is worth even less than that.

In February we were the form team in Europe. That might not be completely accurate, but still. Give the guy a little leeway here
Some of the shit he’s had to deal with, you’d think people would realise that the manager is the least of our concerns right now.

I think what you'll find happening right now is most people defending ETH with these ridiculous excuses are the same ones that made incorrect proclamations about how good he was. In reality I think they missed some pretty key things about ETH and Ajax, which have been pointed out by Ajax supporters and others on here. Some that should have given reasonable doubt about exactly how good he actually was likely to be.

Now we hear how the Glazers need to go and he needs to be backed more. What people are actually hoping will happen is that Qatar will buy the club and buy us success with ETH in charge. They want us to build a team that is so good it will mask his shortcomings. The post below is a perfect example. These guys have seemingly learnt nothing from our previous failures and how sticking with managers for too long and spending unreal amounts of money on each managers targets caused this mess. They are so desperate for him to succeed that they will forget all that and hope we roll the dice one last time in backing this manager by throwing even more money at him.

I bet you can go back and find dozens of posts from these same guys, criticising the way we conduct our transfer business and taking about how our squad needs rebuilding because it is a mish mash of players bought under different visions. Yet they'll happily do it again now for ETH.

It would be the final hail Mary, and if it failed then we'd honestly be done for a very long time. The club needs to think long and hard about whether they continue to finance ETHs whims, because we'll have a whole load of deadwood, worse than we've ever seen previously. We'll be fecked with FFP too.

Not only that but where do you draw the line? ETH isn't completely stupid and will never say he's happy with his squad until he stumbled across something that was winning trophies. There's not much left to sign before we're replacing players he's already signed. In fact that has already started with all the midfielders he's signed.

In theory if they (The Owners/Board) trust in EtH, then FFP wouldn't be an issue.
He gets his players from the academy, the same as Fergie had to, that way he gets the type the players he wants, the loyalty he wants, the hunger he wants, and a disciplined squad.
People forget that Fergie had similar issues, with Keane, Leighton, Beckham, and others, and it was always his way or the highway.
In the meantime, the deadwood run down their contracts, and while they are sat on United's bench, they are not playing for would be opposition.

A top cub has to subscribe to this. Credit in the bank is trophies, not talk.

We saw with van Gaal that a FA Cup was worth less than CL qualification, so that's ETH's mark if he wants to stay in the job as the EFL Cup is worth even less than that.

Well they don't though, do they. Liverpool stuck by Klopp for several seasons before he won a trophy, Arsenal with Arteta, etc. Trigger happy firings just ruins any continuity.

I'm feeling much the same. I still enjoy coming on here and discussing all things United, but the sort of glee (and fury) that used to accompany my watching United has mostly evaporated. It's just not worth it - weirdly enough, I've found myself enjoying watching the likes of Spurs - I have no stake in that particular game, but I enjoy how they play. I guess it's all part of getting older.

The lord Jesus Christ himself could be available and eager for the job and it wouldn’t make the slightest bit of difference. The manager is NOT the problem, the owners are.

Changing the manager gives the illusion of tangible change but all it does is prolong justifications for continued mediocrity.

The next manager will be given another 24 months to imprint his playing style and so forth. It will be one vicious cycle after the next.

He's not going anywhere, but the notion that we have finally found "the one" has been permanently obliterated. He is now coaching to preserve his job beyond this year imo.

Some of the shit he’s had to deal with, you’d think people would realise that the manager is the least of our concerns right now.

Really this should be the end of this thread but the toxic few who seem to thinking continually changing managers is the answer will turn a blind eye to reason.

I hope no one. Get rid of the players this time.

Changing the manager gives the illusion of tangible change but all it does is prolong justifications for continued mediocrity.

The next manager will be given another 24 months to imprint his playing style and so forth. It will be one vicious cycle after the next.
One question, what have the managers we’ve sacked done after they’ve left, maybe we just hire managers who are shit or over the hill.

We are a big outfit with big problems, anyone could fail here.

Maybe reflect a bit on last season, when Ten Hag got us to massively outperform the expectations (6th place no trophies)?

He just needs to do it again, he needs to find a way.

Or maybe this season is when we fall somewhat short of expectations and finish in 6th place. Also not a reason to fire him.

Probably agree with this the most. Have Ten Hag explain how he wants to play and then have a full dedicated team that brings the players in for that to happen. Handing him full control of transfers was idiotic
He voiced who he wanted but the idea everything was his call is weird. We have no verification of that.. who else did we present - the Kim deal fell through and what a shame. What other wonderful talent did the scouts and co link us with? The midfielder from Germany I would have been happy with, it’s not like they linked us to some insane talent.

We are a big outfit with big problems, anyone could fail here.

Maybe reflect a bit on last season, when Ten Hag got us to massively outperform the expectations (6th place no trophies)?

He just needs to do it again, he needs to find a way.

Or maybe this season is when we fall somewhat short of expectations and finish in 6th place. Also not a reason to fire him.

Whether he stays or is fired (and I think he WILL be fired sooner or later), he bought unwisely and should we finish 6th that is directly linked to his awful, awful purchases.

Cheers and good for you. It sounds like you are making a healthy choice both for you and your daughter. There are so many more important things in life than football.

He voiced who he wanted but the idea everything was his call is weird. We have no verification of that.. who else did we present - the Kim deal fell through and what a shame. What other wonderful talent did the scouts and co link us with? The midfielder from Germany I would have been happy with, it’s not like they linked us to some insane talent.

We have no verification if Matt Busby bought David Herd or if Ferguson bought Cantona - or whether that was his first choice. I mean we do have kind of some knowledge of it, but we don't have the level of quasi mathematical proof that you seem to demand.

I am honestly at a loss. I am no expert but I cannot even come up with a half-decent suggestion because do we truly think things would be different?

At this point, everyone above him needs to go and then we replace the manager if no improvement

Yeah I am out of suggestions and if these leeches oversee another sacking then we are fecked. Still so annoyed he just discarded Rangnick

Its really difficult to credit or discredit ETH at this moment to come up with a decision, but I think he has really earned his time here for at least until end of the season.

Credits:
- taking our disjointed side to 3rd place finish in the league last season
- winning us our first cup trophy since 2017
- taking us to 2 cup finals in his first season
- offload some of our deadwoods: Fred, Telles, Bailly, Henderson, De Gea, Jones
- Showing signs of his authority and discipline in dressing room
- introduce some of our best youngsters from academy to the field (Garnacho, Meijbri, Pellistri, Gore, Mainoo)

Discredits:
- having the club backing him up like no others with over 400m spending, and with over 1 years of rebuilding, still not making any noticeale progress in our pattern of play
- worst start of the season in club history, despite having 2nd most expensive squad in the league
- very poor record vs top 6 sides
- persistence use of Rashford, Bruno at start of the season, who become clearly detrimental to overall team play
- favouring his own players (ie Antony) even after many poor performances
- wasting alot of money on unnecessary signings (ie Antony, Mount), and relying too much on players he knew from Dutch league
- often get easily outplayed/controlled by opponents tactics after 20 mins in during the game, even against inferior opponents with limited budget
- Not good at managing egos at the club with some major fall outs with star players (Ronaldo, Sancho etc)
- keeping and playing some deadwoods, even though there have been interested from other clubs (ie Maguire, Mctominay)

Last edited:
Well they don't though, do they. Liverpool stuck by Klopp for several seasons before he won a trophy, Arsenal with Arteta, etc. Trigger happy firings just ruins any continuity.
They do.

Klopp went 4th > 4th & CL Final > 2nd > 1st.
Arteta went 8th > 5th > 2nd.

Its not hard to understand this. If we don't make top four/five or win CL he has to go. That is the minimum this year. We already put up with so much from the players, we shouldn't accommodate a non-performing manager too.

I hope no one. Get rid of the players this time.
Which players?
He loves Rashford (who is enduring constant fan criticism) and Bruno.
Bought, Hojlund, Antony, Martinez, Eriksen, Mount, Malacia and Onana.
Loan wanted Amrabat.
Extended Dalot
Refused offers for Lindelof.

So Shaw, Martial, VDB, Sancho & Maguire are making the team not be able to score and give away cheap goals?
All this while Spuds lose their best player and sign fewer players and after a few months are playing exactly how the manager wants?

Our issues are far deeper than the players.

One question, what have the managers we’ve sacked done after they’ve left, maybe we just hire managers who are shit or over the hill.

I was about to give you a few examples then realised you may actually have a point! Hmm I guess Mourinho with Roma has been decent

They do.

Klopp went 4th > 4th & CL Final > 2nd > 1st.
Arteta went 8th > 5th > 2nd.

Its not hard to understand this. If we don't make top four/five or win CL he has to go. That is the minimum this year. We already put up with so much from the players, we shouldn't accommodate a non-performing manager too.

It's hard to understand when you're moving the goalposts, as previously it was that only trophies buy credit.

I mostly agree with you about progress and CL places being required, but I'd be willing to accept a lower finish if it looked like we were really starting to grasp the new system by the end of the season.

It's hard to understand when you're moving the goalposts, as previously it was that only trophies buy credit.

I mostly agree with you about progress and CL places being required, but I'd be willing to accept a lower finish if it looked like we were really starting to grasp the new system by the end of the season.
We're not though. We're regressing and scoring less goals.

Ive said it before, you can keep hiring managers with a scattergun approach, but until you decide as a club what type of football you want to play and only bring in players and managers who play this way then you are doomed to fail.
Even if you have to get shut of your big name players to accomplish this over a few seasons, if you dont it will never work.
You could bring in Di Zerbi, Klopp, Arteta or Pep and they would still struggle as we have no identity of a style.
If Murtough cant do it, then he should hire someone who can oversee whatever style they decide on, and stick to that plan. At least if we fail with one or two managers the players they bought in or promoted would be a base for the next manager. Eventually we would have a team in harmony on how to play the way we want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.