Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because our manager has spent 400 million pounds in two windows while hardly improving the squad!

I would argue he has improved it we were just starting from a really low base. He also hasn't been able to get the players out the clubs who he would like.

I would argue he has improved it we were just starting from a really low base. He also hasn't been able to get the players out the clubs who he would like.
Oh, I do think he has improved it, just not in any way to a level that would justify such an outlay. With more shrewd business we should have been able to make similar improvements for half or maybe even a third of the money we've spent. That's 200-260 million that's not coming back, and that's gonna bite us in the bottom for years. ETH has handpicked most of those targets and by several accounts has both demanded control over transfers and overruled the scouting department, so that's on him.

Who are the assistants under Guardiola?
Domenec Torrent was his right hand man for the most part - Barcelona B, Barcelona, Bayern Munchen and the first two years at Man City, now is unemployed after not so great short spells at New York City, Flamengo and Galatasaray..
Mikel Arteta was his assistant for 3 seasons and a half before returning to Arsenal.
Juanma Lillo joined Guardiola as his assistant in 2020 after being his mentor and friend over the past 25 years. He left in 2022 to coach Al Sadd in Qatar but this season he is back at the position as his trusted lieutenant.
Rodolfo Borrel worked with Guardiola during all his 6 seasons there but left this summer to become a sporting director of FC Austin.
Enzo Maresca was Guardiola' s assistant in the last season, now he is the manager of Leicester.

I expect Pochettino to be sacked before Ten Hag leaves and if that's the case it feels inevitable he'll be given the job.

Oh, I do think he has improved it, just not in any way to a level that would justify such an outlay. With more shrewd business we should have been able to make similar improvements for half or maybe even a third of the money we've spent. That's 200-260 million that's not coming back, and that's gonna bite us in the bottom for years. ETH has handpicked most of those targets and by several accounts has both demanded control over transfers and overruled the scouting department, so that's on him.

He has picked them yes, but he isn't the negotiator. It is well known we could have secured Anthony for much less earlier in the window last summer.

Casemiro, was big money and somewhat of a panic buy because we hadn't strengthened in midfield.

Literally every signing you could say we have overpaid for, that is nothing to do with the manager. It's based on how we conduct our business now and previously.

Interesting here that you seem to accept that De Zerbi by himself wouldn't work, it's the Brighton setup around him that we should be looking to steal.

There's a lot of truth there, we have a a pretty antiquated setup, Woodward's galactico policy was quite damaging, and even though it sounds like our new management on the football side are trying to put a more long-term, data-driven approach in place, we're still reliant on the manager for recruitment suggestions, for the time being at least.

De Zerbi though has a greatest achievement which is "played nice stuff with Brighton", there's nothing at all that suggests he'd succeed at United.
I am confident that de Zerbi would have spent those 400m wiser than ETH. I would be surprised if de Zerbi didn't have any influence on transfers at Brighton. But of course, put de Zerbi or any manager in this mess and it will take time to turn things around.

I am confident that de Zerbi would have spent those 400m wiser than ETH. I would be surprised if de Zerbi didn't have any influence on transfers at Brighton. But of course, put de Zerbi or any manager in this mess and it will take time to turn things around.

De Zerbi wouldn't be spending that money though, that's not how Brighton do it. I'm sure he has a say, but they let the manager just concentrate on coaching and get in players that fit in with their ethos. I doubt de Zerbi has heard of most of these kids they bring in until he gets the scout report.

We don't have that. EtH is trying to build something like that with Murtough, but try be honest he shouldn't be, and the club should have hired someone far more experienced at that than Murtough.

When has it? Nothing will get better until the Glazers are gone

You can probably extrapolate that onto the rest of the league aswell. What other club has seen consistent progress without implementing a competent sporting section?

The best examples I think right now are Man City of course which runs like clockwork, Brighton and Brentford and you can probably add Villa to that category soon enough.

On the other sides ourselves and Chelsea are abysmal for all the money we’ve spent. Everton another example who’ve have spent loads and got nowhere.

I expect Pochettino to be sacked before Ten Hag leaves and if that's the case it feels inevitable he'll be given the job.

If Pocchetino is sacked for failing at Chelsea we'd be mad to throw him a lifeline. There were already question marks over him, all he's done so far is confirm them.

Not that I personally hold it against him that much, Chelsea are an even bigger basket case than United at the moment.

Despite of my criticism of ETH I see this point. I thought the same of Mourhinos case. At the end of the day OGS replaced him. The fact is none of us know but if things go further downhill being 10th with ETH or say 12th with prehaps Roy Keane wont seem an issue since the club is going to probably rebuild in the summer and hire a manager with a stronger CV and from december to may the club can regroup in comparison to a summer sacking

Someone needs to handle transfers. It cant be ETH or his brother. He should be sacked based on his terrible transfers alone

Really? Or now just because he has had a great start at Spurs?

Because he wasnt even near the top of Spurs list.

Kinda? I you'd asked me who is the top manager to get at the end of last season. Ange would be on my top 3 along with Luis Enrique and Amorim.

His successful start did lead me to put him above Amorim.

It's amazing how our seasons tend to go belly up when there are no great managers available to step in.

I think both eth and the glazers aren't fit for the club, eth has had enough money and power to drop, sell and buy who he wants to at the very least make the team play exciting football

One of the Glazers might take the reins, would save a few million for them. Draft a new quarter back and away we go again.

Seriously there is no one else out there right now so we are stuck with ETH and need to have patience that it will come good eventually.

Last edited:
You can probably extrapolate that onto the rest of the league aswell. What other club has seen consistent progress without implementing a competent sporting section?

The best examples I think right now are Man City of course which runs like clockwork, Brighton and Brentford and you can probably add Villa to that category soon enough.

Ouselves, Chelsea are abysmal for all the money we’ve spent. Everton another example who’ve have spent loads and got nowhere.

This is kind of the point I was trying to make. We get stuck in these 2 year cycles, mainly because there's no larger plan. The Glazers don't care about having one, because the club keeps making more money anyway.

Were we really better off sacking LvG and brining in Mourinho after winning that FA Cup? That season the football was dire, but you could see LvG was trying to implement something. Possession for the sake of possession, but you could still see it. He talks about us a bit too much for my liking since he left, but he's at least made it clear that he was promised a lot of players that never actually made it through the door. Sacking him just reset the clock. Same thing happened with Mourinho, and then Ole, who was never qualified for the job anyway. I do realise I'm very much being captain hindsight here, but there's an obvious pattern.

I would rather keep EtH, go through a painful right-off season where we finish outside the UCL spots, finally cut loose DvB, Maguire, Sancho, McT, etc (how many shit players do we actually have whom the manager has categorically tried to get rid of?!) in the summer, sign some hungry young players to replace them and see if it starts to click next season. Hopefully the Glazers will be gone by then, and we'll have owners who actually implement some kind of sporting overhaul.

If we're still shit after a few months of that season, then go ahead and replace him with whoever is flavor of the month. At the very least I'd hope the squad has better balance, is more motivated and better tooled to play in whatever way that manager wants them to play. Preferably a way the club has set, and hired a manager and signed players accordingly.

To be honest that would probably actually take a few years to happen, but a man can dream.

If Pocchetino is sacked for failing at Chelsea we'd be mad to throw him a lifeline. There were already question marks over him, all he's done so far is confirm them.

Not that I personally hold it against him that much, Chelsea are an even bigger basket case than United at the moment.
The problem there is that we are mad!

It just feels like the club are determined to give him a chance at some point. The interest has been there in the past and I think they would have been happy to go for him last summer but the fan reaction was fairly unanimous for Ten Hag. Whereas now there's not really a candidate that would have that level of backing.

I could understand this train of thought if ETH was an Ancelotti level of manager that had shown through multiple CL trophies that he is world class and is worth sticking with.

But ETH has proven feck all. We have been absolutely fecking dreadful since March. Literally terrible. No style of play. No in game plan if the starting tactics don’t work. Terrible recruitment and most worrying of all being out thought by literally every single team we come up against.

Now I’m not saying that ETH should be sacked, but he needs to get a grip on things and quick.

Aye there's a lot of stuff that just seems to be going against him, all the nonsense with players off the pitch, the injuries and then you have his stubbornness and in game decisions/subs which are downright weird sometimes.

Like yesterday, you are 1 down at home to Palace, you resort to bringing on Maguire and VDB a guy who has done shit all in 3 years. It's actually fecking depressing seeing them still getting game time. There's a lack of options and the bench was awful beyond 2 or 3 players, but for those guys to be your subs when chasing a goal. I'd rather see some him put on some academy wingers or forwards over them.

He really needs to sort the team out on the pitch and start hooking players like Bruno and Rashford when they are clearly playing shite.

That De Zerbi would spend it better is baseless conjecture really, given that we haven't seen him with that money, so pointless to discuss really.

As for time, how much time would you give him to turn "this mess" around? Given that you're calling for Ten Hag's head 2 months into the season after finishing 3rd and winning a trophy, would you be calling for De Zerbi's head after 2 months too?

You really think our players would listen to him if they don’t take orders from the likes of ETH, Solskjær etc.

It’s a poor culture travelled from the top. We just need a manager to drop the guys earning the most whilst we wait new ownership. No shock the more money they make the more entitled they feel to put in less effort.

I would rather keep EtH, go through a painful right-off season where we finish outside the UCL spots, finally cut loose DvB, Maguire, Sancho, McT, etc
Big problem with this is that many of ETH's signings could be the next Sancho or the next Maguire by then. Players who we spent lots of money on but are basically unsellable. We thought the exact same thing, getting rid of deadwood and bringing in quality, when we were signing the likes of Sancho.

Big problem with this is that many of ETH's signings could be the next Sancho or the next Maguire by then. Players who we spent lots of money on but are basically unsellable. We thought the exact same thing, getting rid of deadwood and bringing in quality, when we were signing the likes of Sancho.

You make a fair point, and that might well happen. Personally I feel like we have in general bought better players who can contribute and don't need to be moved on.

I'm aware that could well just be wishful thinking though.

Anyone that makes common sense, sensible decisions would be an upgrade.

When has it? Nothing will get better until the Glazers are gone

Whilst I will never argue the fact the glazers are parasitic cnuts and need to leave.. I fail to see the correlation between them and ETH failings. He coaches the team, he has signed the players.. mostly from his contact book. He is having public falling outs with players and causing media storms. He isn’t getting results.

What this club needs most right now is someone appointed to work alongside the manager, who’ll challenge him on signings and make recommendations. As a club we need to settle on a clear plan as to how we want to play going forward and thus when we bring in managers and players, they fit the system without having to tinker or change the whole playing staff to match their style of play.

I don't think there's any manager out there besides Klopp that could overcome the challenges that United currently have with their ownership etc. and he's not available.

Can we get someone cool like Postecoglu?
We don't operate like that. He would be eaten alive by the media and even by our fans. Some people are better managing clubs with less pressure.

Shit, no wonder we look like shit on the pitch if the fans and owners are responsible

You and others would want the next manager sacked within 6 months as well. Same cycle over and over with the same set of shite supporters.

You and others would want the next manager sacked within 6 months as well. Same cycle over and over with the same set of shite supporters.

If the new manager lost every game in those 6 months then probably but ETH hasn’t been here 6 months, he’s been here long enough to at least have a team resealable what he wants to see on the pitch.

The thought of seeing the likes of Shaw, Rashford, Bruno, AWB, Dalot under yet another manager utterly depresses me. Nothing convinces me things will be better for the next Bloke. We’ve seen the same players over and over let managers down now.

I’m in no rush to bin Ten Hag yet.

Ive been saying that since Ferguson retired.

I mean the Fellini signing should of been the canary in the coal mine but people are still clinging to this idea that the manager doing well over there will do well here , cause our problem is our current manager.

Remember Hicks and Gillet were forced to sell Liverpool then they got FSG, Klopp, Salah etc…

Its the only way we will be able to move forward.

Na, I'd prefer us to go full on l.olz by using football manager to work with Ten Hag. Make him sit there in his own time to get a grip on how the potential recruit would actually work within the team. Give Ten Hag ideas from there for improving training.

I suspect that we don't play many games in training, it's something that must be looked at. How is that FM manager getting on in France? :lol:
Honestly a kid playing football manager would put together a better squad then what we assembled.

Mason bloody Mount is what our recruitment department came up with this summer.

Heaven help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.