Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t matter. Yes, the players and the managers should be doing better; but under this ownership, this structure, the club will always flounder.

Two weeks ago I decided to take a break from football. I’ve supported United fervently since I was about 5. So nearly 40 years of hanging on every result. And it’s always had the power to make or break my week; but now, with work and having limited time with my daughter, I’m not ruining the few quality free moments I get; being pissed off because we were unnecessarily shit again.

It’s impossible to avoid the scores, but I don’t invest at all right now; and I’m so much happier for it. And I’m not going to again until I see the club sold. It’s the only thing that can change our direction. I cancelled all my subscriptions and I’ve stuck my time into other things. Happiest I’ve been in ages.

The club is fundamentally broken and all the debates about players, tactics, signings, managers etc are all pointless. The club is diseased by the Glazers and the people making strategic decisions, don’t know what they are doing.

You and others would want the next manager sacked within 6 months as well. Same cycle over and over with the same set of shite supporters.
If he’s dog shit and loses to our biggest rivals 7-0 then maybe he should be fired? Or do we just accept shiteness now? Is this where we’re at? Rangnick was so bad that he was sacked, didn’t hear any complaints when he didn’t get the job.

I expect Pochettino to be sacked before Ten Hag leaves and if that's the case it feels inevitable he'll be given the job.
I hope not. So the second best to EtH has gone elsewhere, failed and been fired, so we hire him?......actually I wouldn't put it past us

De Zerbi wouldn't be spending that money though, that's not how Brighton do it. I'm sure he has a say, but they let the manager just concentrate on coaching and get in players that fit in with their ethos. I doubt de Zerbi has heard of most of these kids they bring in until he gets the scout report.

We don't have that. EtH is trying to build something like that with Murtough, but try be honest he shouldn't be, and the club should have hired someone far more experienced at that than Murtough.
Totally agree that Murtough seems ill equipped for the job and is a major reason for our malaise.

That De Zerbi would spend it better is baseless conjecture really, given that we haven't seen him with that money, so pointless to discuss really.

As for time, how much time would you give him to turn "this mess" around? Given that you're calling for Ten Hag's head 2 months into the season after finishing 3rd and winning a trophy, would you be calling for De Zerbi's head after 2 months too?
I am not suggesting to sack ETH now, but we should have a new manager ready in May if we finish below 6-8th place and see no progress playing-wise. Maybe sooner if things turn really bad and we find a good interim. The start to the season has been terrible on every level after a good first season by ETH. I will eat humble pie all summer if we finish top 4.

A new manager should be given at least 18-24 months to prove himself ie show continuous improvement. Ideally we have a new competent DoF at the same time.

Do you think we are closer to Arsenal and Liverpool this season?

Carrick could take on the role as the caretaker. Knows the club inside out and has actually gotten a decent record. Sancho would most likely be back which would make perfect sense. I'd do it now before the damage is too big. We could still make it to the Champions League next season.

Carrick could take on the role as the caretaker. Knows the club inside out and has actually gotten a decent record. Sancho would most likely be back which would make perfect sense. I'd do it now before the damage is too big. We could still make it to the Champions League next season.
You think reintegrating Sancho and sacking EtH for Carrick would be a good move? Fecking hell.

Aren’t you forgetting he already has a job? I know Ole left Molde to take on the interim job but I doubt Carrick does the same to a championship club.

He's not going anywhere, at least this season, and neither should he. We've got to ride this out and see what happens, as shitty as that's going to be.

If it wasn't clear before, which it was, the club is rotten and the players are cack. I don't believe anyone can get a consistent tune out of these jokers in the long term, the only benefit to sacking ten haag would be the 4-5 game honeymoon period before the next inevitable slump.

With our structure and ownership Manchester United as a football club is in the dirt and everyone knows it, not least any incoming manager.

You think reintegrating Sancho and sacking EtH for Carrick would be a good move? Fecking hell.
Give it G̶i̶g̶g̶s̶e̶h̶ Carrick till’ the end of the season!

Untitled.jpg

Played horribly last season and nothing has changed. I don't see how things will get better under Ten Haag. The squad is build for counter attacking footie. Sancho is a world class baller. He only showed glimpses, but personally i can easily see him stepping it up. His link up play is much needed, imo.

Carrick plays that way and a has much lesser ego.

Aren’t you forgetting he already has a job? I know Ole left Molde to take on the interim job but I doubt Carrick does the same to a championship club.
When United come calling, he'll answer. But i could be wrong, of course.

The mad thing is, as fans we are all clutching to find solutions to the current problems we see on the pitch and yet I can really find no one who wholeheartedly wants to see EtH sacked. It might be an inevitability, but deep down we all know it's got nothing to do with any one manager, but a long history of mismanagement and acceptance of mediocrity.

It's both disheartening and eye opening to be in and around the club at the moment as a fan. I recently took my 10yo on the old Trafford tour and having not been on that tour myself for over a decade it was crazy to see how standards and expectations have widely fallen. The museum is full of past glories, the talks are all around historic golden ages, the feel of the place is one of some ancient, shining, lost city. We are a "used to be" football club and the club itself, outside of it's fanbase, has no real heart or desire. It's like an old pet that you really ought to put down but cannot bring yourself to do so because you remember how it used to be full of life.

Some things are broken and can never truly be fixed.

I honestly feel like our cycle has ended and we are done as a top level football club that routinely challenges for major honours.

He's not going anywhere, at least this season, and neither should he. We've got to ride this out and see what happens, as shitty as that's going to be.

If it wasn't clear before, which it was, the club is rotten and the players are cack. I don't believe anyone can get a consistent tune out of these jokers in the long term, the only benefit to sacking ten haag would be the 4-5 game honeymoon period before the next inevitable slump.

With our structure and ownership Manchester United as a football club is in the dirt and everyone knows it, not least any incoming manager.
Every year a handful of new players arrive at the club. They can't all be rotten. Especially when some of them are serial winners. It's on the manager. There's no plan out there, just individual brilliance by Bruno and Rashford. You have to wonder what Ten Haag's been doing and why can't he play some of the youngsters? United paid big money for Amad, i really don't get it.

Every year a handful of new players arrive at the club. They can't all be rotten. Especially when some of them are serial winners. It's on the manager. There's no plan out there, just individual brilliance by Bruno and Rashford. You have to wonder what Ten Haag's been doing and why can't he play some of the youngsters? United paid big money for Amad, i really don't get it.

The issue of not bringing youth players, or certain youth players, through is not unique to Ten Hag. Even ones which have been bought in, rather than have come through the academy.

I agree though. I can't for the life of me see why Amad hasn't got a chance and why Hannibal was benched yesterday when he should have started.

The thought of having to start again mid-season without a nearby transfer window fills me with dread, tbh. The club is stuck in an endless cycle of getting things wrong.

I don't necessarily think binning ETH will fix anything. It's far, far easier for everyone if he somehow turns it around. This is why we need a proper structure and organisation at the club, so that we can analyse exactly why thinks are going wrong on the pitch and off it, including with ETH. We can turn it around, but there needs to be an improved attitude from everyone. We need more resilience. Not just about hanging in there, but to fix things when they do go wrong, which they are right now.

First thing we need to do is get players playing in their preferred positions. No more Amrabat at left back. Either play someone else there, or go to a 3 at the back. We need to hammer the lads in training with a large focus on movement, working/creating chances, and feeding the striker. We're not getting Hojlund involved enough. These are professional footballers, their only job is literally to play this game. The feckers just need to get better at it and have it hammered into them in training that unless you work together and create chances, you can't win games. ETH needs to stand up and so do the players.

If we don't do something to fix this now, we're in the same position next season with another manager. It's about time we fix the problem.

At the same time, why do we give the same players countless chances yet are far less forgiving with the managers? I don't quite get that one. If the players are continuing to underperform, they should be binned, too.

Spurs just sold Kane yet still play far better football than us.
Yep they have but do they play better? Results are better, were they 2 goals better than us? Poor finishing cost us plus a pen that wasn't given? They were fortunate to get 2 late goals v SU. And same yesterday v Pool .. so I wouldn't say they play better.

I think getting rid is a terrible idea and he needs at least until season end.

if the axe were to fall then RdZ would be a good option

Played horribly last season and nothing has changed. I don't see how things will get better under Ten Haag. The squad is build for counter attacking footie. Sancho is a world class baller. He only showed glimpses, but personally i can easily see him stepping it up. His link up play is much needed, imo.

The only thing Sancho's proven is he's not got the mentality to play at the top level. Had issues at Dortmund, has the same issues with us. He might be a talented player but IMHO he has never been world class. I wasn't convinced when we bought him (but hoped for the best) and I'm definitely not convinced now. He hasn't justified his price tag in the slightest and he's only got himself to blame for that. He's not going to save us. And neither is Carrick (as much as I like him).

You and others would want the next manager sacked within 6 months as well. Same cycle over and over with the same set of shite supporters.
If we had an actual structure in place above the manager that enabled continuity of squad planning, I'd have no qualms with sacking managers more frequently as our peer clubs do.

I'm inclined to give him a pass for the season if he continues to work on clearing out the deadwood. The problem is some of the deadwood has been signed under his tenor. He needs to grow a pair and drop those that need dropping and stop with the favoritism. If Ole had done the same, perhaps he would have lasted longer.

The thought of having to start again mid-season without a nearby transfer window fills me with dread, tbh. The club is stuck in an endless cycle of getting things wrong.

I don't necessarily think binning ETH will fix anything. It's far, far easier for everyone if he somehow turns it around. This is why we need a proper structure and organisation at the club, so that we can analyse exactly why thinks are going wrong on the pitch and off it, including with ETH. We can turn it around, but there needs to be an improved attitude from everyone. We need more resilience. Not just about hanging in there, but to fix things when they do go wrong, which they are right now.

First thing we need to do is get players playing in their preferred positions. No more Amrabat at left back. Either play someone else there, or go to a 3 at the back. We need to hammer the lads in training with a large focus on movement, working/creating chances, and feeding the striker. We're not getting Hojlund involved enough. These are professional footballers, their only job is literally to play this game. The feckers just need to get better at it and have it hammered into them in training that unless you work together and create chances, you can't win games. ETH needs to stand up and so do the players.

If we don't do something to fix this now, we're in the same position next season with another manager. It's about time we fix the problem.

At the same time, why do we give the same players countless chances yet are far less forgiving with the managers? I don't quite get that one. If the players are continuing to underperform, they should be binned, too.

Good post

Your final paragraph is a good discussion point though. We've got rid of a few players who fit that mold and tried and failed to get rid of others such as Maguire. I'm not sure who else you mean, other than Rashford, who I think needs dropping based on his most recent performances, but clearly he is the first name on the team sheet for the manager.

He might when he actually has the full team to choose from.

He might not. From yesterdays defeat, the only players who’d come back in to the team would be Antony, Martinez and Shaw. Players who haven’t exactly been great since the league cup.

Back him even if we don't make CL. Invest more into the squad.

Sancho and Counter attacking football couldn't be further apart - He is a one touch around the box type player - he'd be perfect at say Arsenal.

He isn't by any stretch a counter player.

Good post

Your final paragraph is a good discussion point though. We've got rid of a few players who fit that mold and tried and failed to get rid of others such as Maguire. I'm not sure who else you mean, other than Rashford, who I think needs dropping based on his most recent performances, but clearly he is the first name on the team sheet for the manager.

Thanks, mate.

I think there's a lot of players we could apply that to in this squad. We're notoriously shit at moving players on when they're not working out and we give them chance after chance. For example, Martial has worked under Van Gaal, Mourinho, Ole, Michael Carrick as caretaker, Rangnick as interim, and now ETH...and he's still never really nailed down that number 9 position as his. We're too good at giving players silly contracts at stupid wages, which means they can just waste years at the club without any consequences whatsoever. Although the managers may not have worked out or perhaps didn't fit us for the long-term, there's a whole heap of players who have done them no favours whatsoever.

Just all round, the club needs to be so much tougher. The mess extends far beyond just the manager and we're so used to blaming it on the manager when things go bad. We'll be in the exact same position 10 years from now if we keep doing things the same way.

Hes had a lot of injuries and still does, difficult picking a team and getting them to work together. Now we have players back from injury we need to get them all on the same hymn sheet, just because theyve returned doesnt mean they dont need time to get fitness and tactical awareness back. We still played Amrabat as a LB as well, Rashford needs dropped, hes awful this season, Garnacho needs to play more, he offers more and knows how to pass the ball instead of running straight into opposition players every time.

The mad thing is, as fans we are all clutching to find solutions to the current problems we see on the pitch and yet I can really find no one who wholeheartedly wants to see EtH sacked. It might be an inevitability, but deep down we all know it's got nothing to do with any one manager, but a long history of mismanagement and acceptance of mediocrity.

It's both disheartening and eye opening to be in and around the club at the moment as a fan. I recently took my 10yo on the old Trafford tour and having not been on that tour myself for over a decade it was crazy to see how standards and expectations have widely fallen. The museum is full of past glories, the talks are all around historic golden ages, the feel of the place is one of some ancient, shining, lost city. We are a "used to be" football club and the club itself, outside of it's fanbase, has no real heart or desire. It's like an old pet that you really ought to put down but cannot bring yourself to do so because you remember how it used to be full of life.

Some things are broken and can never truly be fixed.

I honestly feel like our cycle has ended and we are done as a top level football club that routinely challenges for major honours.
Good post.

We've been done as a top level football club for years. As much as I hate to say and admit it but we're no longer one of the English elite.
To get back to that level the club needs to be torn down or completely purged.

We then need owners who want to win at any cost. We need those owners to bring in the best football minds (best in class personell) to run the thing.
Then we have to get in an elite manager, then the players to match.

All in all, even if this change happened tomorrow it will again take years for it to bare any fruit and we'll have to sit through the negative patches where we win feck all and where it's all about progress.

Are the fans ready for that? Again?!

Are the fans even ready for all that? Again?!

It doesn’t matter. Yes, the players and the managers should be doing better; but under this ownership, this structure, the club will always flounder.

Two weeks ago I decided to take a break from football. I’ve supported United fervently since I was about 5. So nearly 40 years of hanging on every result. And it’s always had the power to make or break my week; but now, with work and having limited time with my daughter, I’m not ruining the few quality free moments I get; being pissed off because we were unnecessarily shit again.

It’s impossible to avoid the scores, but I don’t invest at all right now; and I’m so much happier for it. And I’m not going to again until I see the club sold. It’s the only thing that can change our direction. I cancelled all my subscriptions and I’ve stuck my time into other things. Happiest I’ve been in ages.

The club is fundamentally broken and all the debates about players, tactics, signings, managers etc are all pointless. The club is diseased by the Glazers and the people making strategic decisions, don’t know what they are doing.
Absolutely spot on! I basically do the same almost.

I relate to this post so much

The issue of not bringing youth players, or certain youth players, through is not unique to Ten Hag. Even ones which have been bought in, rather than have come through the academy.

I agree though. I can't for the life of me see why Amad hasn't got a chance
Isn’t he still injured?

and why Hannibal was benched yesterday when he should have started.
True with the benefit of hindsight. I certainly wasn’t expecting Bruno to be that bad; presumably ETH wasn’t either.

Rashford has been in poor form for a while though. His immediate return to the side was more questionable than Bruno’s.

Exactly how I feel and I’m the same age as you. Spot on.

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.