Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilshere if I had the choice - typical United player if ever there was one. Great ability, hard working, and a nasty little shit to go with it. Has everything in his game to play in a United midfield, and as pointed out, he would bring out the best in the likes of Rooney and Carrick.

Wiltshire is the dream, he's perfect for us but will never happen. Other then that right now as it actually appears plausible a 40m offer for fabregas and song would be awesome. Both suit our style and are just what we need. Competition would suddenly go from non existant to fierce and if Rooney did go fabregas could fill the void nicely.

In my opinion we need a defensive midfielder who can pass the ball + a creative midfielder. Felliani/Strootman and Fabregas/Alcantara would be great.

Would be great if we can get a skilful and good passer DM (ala Martinez, Rijkaard, Vieira, Petit, Desailly), or box to box (Keano, Davids, Schweinsteiger, (younger) Yaya Toure, Cambiasso, Matthaus). I think our wing-play (attacking fullbacks and wingers) would benefit much for defending less.

I can see the benefit of buying Fellaini, and no doubt he'd improve us; but I'm hoping we go for better player than him. We have Carrick that his class can be comparable to any CM/DM of any top clubs. And you can see how to even have ONE worldclass CM make a world different. Just imagine having two of them. Such a shame Fergie didn't find the need to get one this season. I'm confidence, we could at least went all the way to CL Final, if we had one more CM in Carrick class.

i think a combination of one creative type and one more dogged type would be fine. the team needs to be rotated and carrick did incredible to feature so much,to expect the same would be asking a lot. someone to come in thats good enough against most premier league teams would be fine. for me that means one of wanyama and fellaini. we have excellent players to fill most positions but one more creative type wouldnt hurt and the limite times ive seen banega hes always impressed. i also want to make realisitc suggestions, i think wilshere or fabregas are a fantasy

so in summary, buy two midfielders::

1 of wanyama or fellaini
1 of banega or eriksen

It depends on what context we're talking here. If we're not taking availability, prices, wages etc into account then in that list Fabregas would be my pick because from a glance he looks like the best player there.

Realistically though, we're not going to get him and I wouldn't mind someone like Banega perhaps. While I'm limited in viewings of him, he's looked a decent player and seems like the sort who would fit into our team well. I'd need to see more of him to make a full judgement though.

We're playing the wish list game, which is entirely appropriate for a poster forum, but let's start with assumptions before moving to acquisitions.

Let's assume we keep Rooney and he plays at peak form without significant injury/suspension interrupted.

Let's assume we dispose of Ando but that Nani takes the deal in front of him and stays on.

Let's assume Fletcher will never play for us again.

Let's assume no Ronaldo...or no Bale. :(

Let's assume Zaha is not loaned out and joins the first team.

Those are three debatable, yet reasonable, assumptions. Our weakest area this season was our wing play (and yet still lapped the field in the prem), but if we can assume that was an aberration and that there will be no Ronaldo/Bale gambit and that Zaha will bring the goods, then we absolutely should address the missing piece of the puzzle -- central midfield.

With that, I join the chorus here: a playmaking/scoring attacking midfield such as Fabregas. I can't even believe this is a possibility, but it appears to be a real possibility that we can land Fabregas. He's only 26, so there's no issue whatsoever with his age and we all know his proven worth in the prem. Since I don't get to watch the Dutch league very much I can't profess expertise on Strootman, but based on youtube footage alone it's not even a close call between Strootman and Fellaini -- go with Strootman. But if he's considered a risk anda Fellaini is admittedly a known quantity in the prem then fine, go with Fellaini. There's something to be said for bringing a player like him late in games when we're down and we need to launch bombs at a massive target like him. But I really hope we don't fall short on Fabregas and have to settle for Fellaini as our "solution" to the midfield problem.

I'm not convinced yet that Cleverley doesn't have what it takes to succeed for United, but there's no harm done whatsoever by having him learn at the feet of the one great midfielders in the game, Cesc Fabregas. I can't still can't believe it's real possibility we could land him...let's see how this plays out.

if there was even a sniff of signing Fabregas, all other targets should be instantly given up on and all attention put on it.

He's young, he's super quality, and is beyond Premier league proven.

i think a combination of one creative type and one more dogged type would be fine. the team needs to be rotated and carrick did incredible to feature so much,to expect the same would be asking a lot. someone to come in thats good enough against most premier league teams would be fine. for me that means one of wanyama and fellaini. we have excellent players to fill most positions but one more creative type wouldnt hurt and the limite times ive seen banega hes always impressed. i also want to make realisitc suggestions, i think wilshere or fabregas are a fantasy

so in summary, buy two midfielders::

1 of wanyama or fellaini
1 of banega or eriksen

Eriksen isn't a centre mid though

Gundogan would be my top choice, but it seems that it is almost impossible. So, I would be happy with one of the Barca boys (Fabregas or Thiago).

let's be honest...Wilshere, Gundogan, Veratti and a couple of others aren't realy "realistic" options, and with that being said it really comes down to Fabregas and Thiago (Gundogan and Wilshere would be my first 2 choices but I don't see that happening, definitely not now, maybe ever).

While Fabregas would be a better addition to the team at the moment I'd actualy prefer Thiago because I think he's got a very bright future ahead of him, and it's someone I can actualy see us sign. Fabregas is touted as a posibility, and due to the rumours I can't exclude him, but I honestly can't see him leaving Barca, let alone to United...with that being said I'd be esthatic if it somehow were to happen (I seem to recall saying "No way we're signing RvP, doesn't make sense" last season so I'm not completely ruling it out like Wilshere and Gundogan).

With those 2 being top choices, missing out on both of them would be a dissapointment, but signing Strootman and/or Fellaini would help fill the void a bit, and I'd honestly be excited either way, just not quite as much...and if we aren't capable of even signing one of these 2 "back-up choices" (in terms of talent and availability), then I'll be the first one to call shenanigans on this whole summer window.

Not even close it would seem. Cesc with nearly as many votes as Gundogan, Thiago, and Wilshire combined.

Im surprised Thiago got more votes than Wilshere. I thought this place was Wilshere crazy.

Im surprised Thiago got more votes than Wilshere. I thought this place was Wilshere crazy.

I think the fact that Thiago is potentially available and Wilshere is clearly not at this point explains that. Even if that's not what the poll is supposed to be about.

As Gibson wasn't an availiable choice, I went for Fabregas.

Basically the same player anyway

Vidal. The man is a footballing machine. Can be a DM, AM, CM is comfortable sitting back and picking passes or destroying or attacking and has the energy and stamina to be a proper box to box midfielder. I think he is the perfect signing in the sense that not only could he act as cover for Carrick but would also be first choice to play alongside him.

He's been marvelous at Juve and is a proven world class talent at a good age.

Vidal. The man is a footballing machine. Can be a DM, AM, CM is comfortable sitting back and picking passes or destroying or attacking and has the energy and stamina to be a proper box to box midfielder. I think he is the perfect signing in the sense that not only could he act as cover for Carrick but would also be first choice to play alongside him.

we missed the chance when he left Leverkusen... now there is no way we can afford him, plus he is happy at Turin.

Yeah, I don't think we're in with a realistic chance of signing anyone on that list, exept maybe Strootman, Fellaini and the Celtic lad.
Vidal is my muppet signing and has been for a few years. He'd be my first choice of any midfielder in the world because I think he is exactly the type of player we need.

he's also have 17 technique and 16 creativity and passing.

It would be easy to say Wilshire or Gundogan but the chance of those being sold this summer are really low. I chose Thiago for £15m there really isn't a better deal in world football at the moment.

Moyes wont sign someone he doesn't know about. Moyes signs bargains, he's never had a big buget to deal with. His scouts would have been looking at players costing tens of millions. I suspect Moyes will either sign a premiership player like Fellainini or Mccarthy or one he plucked from nowhere ala Hernandez.

We wont be signing Alcantara or any player with a reputation.

My only concern with Fabregas is whether his inability to get a permanent slot in the Barcelona team is indicative of a decline in his abilities. Maybe he is not the player we all remember at Arsenal. I have not watched his play at Barcelona to know the answer.

Moyes wont sign someone he doesn't know about. Moyes signs bargains, he's never had a big buget to deal with. His scouts would have been looking at players costing tens of millions. I suspect Moyes will either sign a premiership player like Fellainini or Mccarthy or one he plucked from nowhere ala Hernandez.

At 15m Alcantara is a bargain

He is, so was Vidal and many others when Fergie said there is no value.

I just don't see it happening. Moyes might think our midfield is fine.

That's a pretty nonsensical post.

1) Moyes isn't Ferguson

2) It's evident to anybody that watches football that midfield is the weak spot at United, how or why would it not be evident to Moyes?

3) Ferguson bought a lot of strikers and wingers, Moyes' focus is on the midfield areas, since that's where he claims games are won.

Top that with the fact that we are more or less "constantly" being linked with midfielders, I think it's a pretty safe bet to make that Moyes will make at the very least 1 midfield signing, and I very much doubt it will be nothing more than a squad player.

Didn't Sir Alex clarify the "no value in the market" comment as something to do with buying and developing a young player rather than recognising already developed talent?

1) Moyes isn't Ferguson

2) It's evident to anybody that watches football that midfield is the weak spot at United, how or why would it not be evident to Moyes?

3) Ferguson bought a lot of strikers and wingers, Moyes' focus is on the midfield areas, since that's where he claims games are won.

Top that with the fact that we are more or less "constantly" being linked with midfielders, I think it's a pretty safe bet to make that Moyes will make at the very least 1 midfield signing, and I very much doubt it will be nothing more than a squad player.

4) There is space with Scholes retirement and arguably with Fletcher still not back yet!

I don't get this notion that just because Moyes has dined cheap he's never looked at the steak menu.

And now he does. So he'll probably buy differently than he bought at Everton.

Alcantara is the best bargain out there at the moment.

Yes. Just like Ferguson when he came from Aberdeen. I don't know why we appoint these people.

My only concern with Fabregas is whether his inability to get a permanent slot in the Barcelona team is indicative of a decline in his abilities. Maybe he is not the player we all remember at Arsenal. I have not watched his play at Barcelona to know the answer.

Or maybe in the Premier league he's not competing with the likes of Iniesta and Xavi every week for a run out!

Considering that Alcantara and Fellaini are valued approximately the same, Moyes would be mad to opt for the latter. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.